Awoo.

30 Days of Video Games - BONUS: Why Do You Play Games Pg. 142

Sami

SonicartMSWG.png

Mario_And_Luigi_-_Siblings_Day.jpg

Sonic & The Mario Bros

Sonic: great friend and admirable hero with strong ideals and charming cocky attitude, who can also show human feelings and emotions when his heart strings are tested. A perfectly rounded character and my favourite protagonist.

The Mario Bros come seconds, but only by a centimeter.

At first I was about to say Luigi only, but... look at them, they're ADORABLE together!

Mario is a average plumber that, because of his endless but easy-going adventures to save Peach from Bowser, became a hero admired by almost all of the inhabitants of the Mushroom Kingdom, brother Luigi included.

Luigi is the shy, stuttering, coward less famous brother, but when times come, he shows a strenght and courage that not even himself knows to possess. He admires Mario as the best in the world, wants to be a hero like him, but most importantly, he loves him immensely.

Together, they are a force of nature that no one can stop.

Day 18: Favorite Protagonist.

Mine would have to be good old Green himself

luigi.jpg

Luigi is my favorite brother. I have no idea why really, I just love Luigi. He is the timid and shy brother, but will step up, no questions asked, when he needs to. The Luigi's mansions games really put that fact of his to light as he jumps in to save Mario, taking on King Boo, arguably Luigi's arch nemesis.

I just love that this timid and shy character can become a force to be reckoned with in times of need. i find him really relatable and you really just can't help but love WeeGee + He is the badass Mr. L!

Honourable Mentions

Sonic because...well duh!

Link - Again, im not too sure why, I love how in a lot of the games its a boy who runs into the trouble and ends up intwined with the villian for one reason or another.

Fox McCloud - this guy was tied for first but Luigi just pushed forward. I love this guys calm head in most situations, plus he is an ace pilot and genuinely cares for the members of his crew.

• Thumbs Up 3

Day 18:

I'm going to say Crash Bandicoot. He's energetic, charismatic, and has a lot of presence on screen. And to have an almost mute character, make him the main, keep him mute for the duration of his whole series, and create as much success from the series as this did, it's gotta show for something. Crash Bandicoot is definitely a strong character, with lots of potential and great use, and, it needs to be said, Crash has to return to life because he is just damn brilliant.

• Thumbs Up 1

My favourite protagonist... is Dixie Kong. Sorry.

In an era where most female characters were just Ms. Males, Dixie Kong was a unique addition to the series in Donkey Kong Country 2. I'm not going to talk about her role in Donkey Kong Country 2.

Donkey Kong Country 3 starred Dixie as the main character. Donkey and Diddy go missing, and Dixie goes on an adventure to find them. Throughout the game, Dixie proves that she is potentially a greater and more capable hero than either of her male predecessors.

She's also really fun to play as, which is the most important factor that should go into a video game protagonist.

Favourite Protagonist

Miles Edgeworth

d9018f2392868edb7eb981c826cafa59.png

What drew me to this character was his backstory. How he lost his father and had to grow under his rival while mistakenly hating criminals was relateable for me. What made me stay was his character and development. He's come a long way in his latest game

sacrificing his badge to help a friend

He's turning into Phoenix while keeping the icy demeanour we know and love. He's grown to care for people, to show his emotions and concerns from time to time, to learn that he can rely on others and most importantly, he does not stand alone..(in the courtroom). He's a bit more relaxed and less guarded and wary,

And he has a host of great lines from "Nghoooooooh!" and "Wooooooooooop!". Okay I make him sound like a douche but he has some witty banter that has made me laugh as I play. And he's even a closet fan of the Steel Samurai show. His best line I'd say is " I will not accept you as the true Steel Samurai!" And I enjoy watching him bounce off this crazy cast of characters. Especially the bond he shares with Gumshoe which he has a soft spot he rarely shows. Yep.

He's even  the head prosecutor now, which adds to his character.

• Thumbs Up 1

Stuff

yeeeeaaaah Zero isn't the protag unless you mean Mega Man Zero

He's the deuteragonist

game's called X bro

He's the deuteragonist

game's called X bro

He had his own story in every game following X4, so I don't see why he wouldn't count. 

He had his own story in every game following X4, so I don't see why he wouldn't count.

Yeah but he's not the main character. The game was always focused on X, whereas chars like Edgeworth and Luigi had their own games.

But wathevs, your rules

Yeah but he's not the main character. The game was always focused on X, whereas chars like Edgeworth and Luigi had their own games.

you mean like the Mega Man Zero games.......wich you just mentioned yourself

not to mention a "deuteragonist" still very much counts as a Protagonist, not the "Main" Main Protagonist but his entire story makes up a great deal of the X Series.

Day 18 - Favorite Protagonist

kid-icarus-uprising-news-story-featured-

This HUGE DORK.

Video games or not there's nothing I love more than big stupid dorks and Pit is one of the best. He's got a heart of gold and a charming sense of humor and his loyalty to Palutena is the absolute cutest. His banter's endlessly entertaining and his positive outlook is beyond adorable. I just loved hearing all he had to say throughout Uprising. Coming from a company not exactly known for its talkative protagonists, he's kind of a breath of fresh air on top of being a total cutie.

Speaking of dorks, my runner-ups: Luigi, the dork to end them all, and Phoenix Wright and Apollo Justice, despite only being two cases into Dual Destinies and it being my first Ace Attorney game. AA is just chock-full of dorks and they're all cute.

But wathevs, your rules

But Zero has his own games???

• Thumbs Up 5

you mean like the Mega Man Zero games.......wich you just mentioned yourself

not to mention a "deuteragonist" still very much counts as a Protagonist, not the "Main" Main Protagonist but his entire story makes up a great deal of the X Series.

"Zero from Mega Man X"

Just wathever, I stopped caring, lol

Day 18: Favorite Protagonist

kidicarusuprising.jpg

Pit (Kid Icarus: Uprising)

It's gotta be Pit. He's just about the most endearing Nintendo character out there for me right now (and in general, really). The guy exudes charisma, always seeing the positive side of things, is an adaptable and potent fighter, has a quirky personalty that makes him instantly likeable, and is loyal to a fault towards the goddess Palutena. Even with all the crap he deals with throughout the game, as well as having his own faults, Pit still has a strong sense of justice and is willing to go through great lengths to do the right thing and get the job done.  

That overall respectability and characterization for Pit makes you want to root for him when things start going to hell and it just makes you feel for his struggles. His chemistry with the other characters is pretty great as well, giving off plenty of great scenes and interactions. Ultimately, Pit is the most lovable goofball that I had the pleasure to play as.

Honorable Runner-Ups:

- Luigi

- Kirby

- Sonic

• Thumbs Up 4

Remember, today's is about topic is about protagonists. Rosalina wouldn't count because she's more of a major side-character than the actual main character of the story. Same goes for the Xillia dude since I think Milla and the guy who sounds like '03 Donatello are the protags there.

I'd save them for a rainy day. Or maybe an upcoming one. wink.png

Alright, I'll change it...back to the drawing board =|

He's the deuteragonist

game's called X bro

X4 and X5 say hi.

The X series was always about Zero from the start, X was implemented into development later.

And a series can have more than one protagonist, a Deuteragonist is more like Colonel or Alia.

Which is why I'm going to contest the implication that Milla isn't a protagonist Dissy. Both her and Jude are the protagonists of Xillia.

nevermind, read that wrong lol

Day 18! Favourite protagonist!

It's gotta be John Marston from Red Dead Redemption! Yeah, another RDR mention.

JohnMarston.jpg

love this guy, and yet really he isn't your typical protagonist. He had a troubled past, did some really bad things like becoming an outlaw and he's later blackmailed by government lawmen to find and kill his former partners in crime. If he doesn't comply, his former prostitute/wife and son will be killed. Damn.

What I love about John is he's just a badass! He looks a badass, acts a badass and he sounds a badass. I love his voice, which has a great rough tone to it, and I always enjoyed listening to his conversations with other people in game where you find out more about his past. John's backstory is great and whilst you feel sympathetic for him (especially considering he has a family) and grow to love him you could easily forget he used to be an outlaw who killed people and possibly raped women too. So is he an enemy? An anti hero? Is he really a protagonist? In my opinion he's the latter for sure. I think he's got this great charisma which makes him so likeable and cool, not to mention he seems to be one of the sanest people in this game. Those stranger missions man...

But yeah, I really like John Marston and he's a helluva lot cooler than his son Jack who has an annoying voice and is too goody two shoes for my liking. John all the way, you were ARE a legend!

Honourable mentions: Luigi (HAHA! Luigi! Go green!), Daxter from Jak and Daxter, Tali from Mass Effect, Crash from Crash Bandicoot and Joel from the Last of Us.

• Thumbs Up 1

Day 18 - Favorite Protagonist

Dante, the son of Sparda, the legendary dark knight who slayed the most powerful demons around. Half demon, half human, despised by the purebreeds of either side. Losing his father at a young age and then later losing his mother and twin brother during an attack by demons. He later started up a demon hunting business, probably as an act of revenge against the demons who took so much from him so early in his life. So what is he like exactly?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JSEBAukcHaU

Oh.

Dante is a great protagonist for many reasons. Firstly, his personality fits with his gameplay perfectly. He loves to show off and look stylish no matter what he's doing, and he'll always keep his cool no matter what kind of freakish creature from the depths of the demon world he is faced with. His mostly upbeat demeanor, cheesy one liners and wisecracks and general lack of ability to care about what is going on around him and just go CUHRAZY makes watching him interact with the various characters, friends or foes, always an entertaining experience. It's always amusing to see what kind of dumb bullshit feats he pulls of in each game too, whether it's pushing a bike away from him by shooting it repeatedly after being impaled, surfing around on missiles, riding a motorcycle up a collapsing cliff and then flinging said motorbike around like it was a pair of nunchakus, casually ignoring being impaled through the chest by his own sword and, as shown above, doing what is basically a theatre routine on the spot with one of the demons he is out to kill. He just knows how to have fun in any situation he's put in and that's why I'd call him my favourite protagonist.

Now if you excuse me I have to go back to pretending that travesty of a reboot never happened.

Honorable Mentions:

Amaterasu: An extremely powerful celestial being revived to restore peace to the land, with control of the elements, time, the weather and more at her disposal.....is a dumb wolf who will fall asleep while someone is in the middle of talking to her if she is bored by them, solves everything by simply butting heads with it, and willing to cause all kinds of havock if you damage her pride. Despite never saying a word, she's a very amusing protagonist.

Phoenix Wright: Despite sometimes not really knowing what he's doing, he's always willing to keep thing going to the end in the pursuit of truth and belief in his clients, willing to pull out all out all of the stops (Mostly just bluffing though) to try and get them the innocent verdict be believes they deserve, even in the most dire situations.

Luigi: Despite being so timid that he'll run for safety from anything that so much as looks at him funny, he's always able to muster up enough courage to move past his fears and get the right thing done, no matter what kind of danger he is faced with. Said timidity leads to some pretty funny moments in some of the spin-off games too.

• Thumbs Up 2

Day 18: Favorite Protagonist.
tumblr_inline_mxod50B3vP1rtdfln.jpg
Luigi from the Super Mario Series/Luigi's Mansion.

This is a really hard pick. I mentioned before that I really enjoyed Luigi's Mansion and the ending, and his brotherly brotherness with Mario. Another reason I like him is just because he's easy to identify with, especially as far as Mario characters go. He's an everyman living in his brother's shadow, loved but not fully appreciated, and more acquainted with failure than with success- like most of us. However, he maintains a happy-go-lucky attitude, so that's nice. It makes him an easy character to root for. 

Luigi is also funny, in some of the games. He's not as brave as Mario, but that character flaw is really one of his biggest strengths. He's funny when he's screaming and/or crying too. He even has a nice little arc in Mario and Luigi: Dream Team. 

Honorable Mentions: 

Mario: 
ardlsgml.jpg
A charming, iconic character. Mario is the embodiment of cheerfulness, and it's hard not to like him.
Mega Man:
File-MegaManSSB4.png
The super fighting robot! Mega Man's design and abilities are fantastic. He's a delightfully retro character who leads some fantastic little games.

Sonic the Hedgehog: 

20110617231046!Sonic_running.png

Sonic is another upbeat character that I really enjoy. Snarky, a bit dorky and colorful. He manages to have survived this long based on his character alone. 

• Thumbs Up 1

Day 18: WAAAAArio

SM3DL2_Wario_1.png

Mario is a traditional hero. The lovable underdog, the knight in shining armor. He's who we want to be when we play a video game. But Wario, in some sense, is who we actually are. Sure, saving the world is great and all, but it's mere context to what we're actually here for: to collect and/or beat up shit. He's gaming's Darkwing Duck.

There's something refreshingly honest about Wario's behavior. I mean, just watch the ending to Wario Land Shake It from 20 seconds in.

Just as the princess shows up to thank him for saving her he simply THROWS HER AWAY and goes straight for the treasure. It's so blunt and sociopathic that it's downright hilarious, but at the same time, the fact that the princess in was in trouble never stopped me from stopping to collect a ton of coins or points in Super Mario Bros.

Wario is gaming's greatest paradox- he's so fat that he's muscular, so oblivious that he understands what's at stake, so lazy that he's active, he's more powerful when morbidly obese or set on fire, he makes a living off doing the right things for the wrong reasons and he's so cartoonishly wicked that he's actually subtly relatable.

• Thumbs Up 3

Day 18: Favorite (they really should had went ahead and made an anime series...) Protagonist

pit_kid_icarus_wallpaper_by_fatal_nostal

Kid Icarus: Pit

Yes, a very easy (and seemingly popular) choice for me. I didn't know exactly what to expect going into it when I got the game, especially after some of the trailers. But after hearing his conversations with Palutena in the early parts of the game he instantly became a favorite. Who would of thought that Nintendo had the skill/ drive to create a main like this. He's likeable, funny, has is fair share of imperfections, has one of the best voices I've heard in a game, and even is a bit dorky at parts. I also like how he personifies the original Icarus tale with him not being able to fly for more than a few minutes before his wings burn. Add in one of the best angel costume designs in existence and a killer move set and you have a character that definitely shouldn't be locked away for another two decades... *cough*hinthintNintendo*cough*

• Thumbs Up 1

Day Numbero 18: Blood in the Sands: Ninja's "Guaranteed to beat the shit out of Kamis choice" Favourite Protagonists Ever!

now as with last time, I am gonna go with choices other than the ones that I listed Last time (such as the Mario Bros, Big Boss and the TF2 cast), so lets go with...

pARK72X.jpg

"Again today I will go soaring through the sky, My enemies, I'll dish 'em up in a stir fry! Gracious godess of light watches from up above!

At dinnertime I always show the cook some love!"

well hey everyone else was picking him, so....

Kid Icarus Uprising as I mentioned previous was a splendid Reimagening of the Classic NES game, not only giving it a whole new Identity, a Great and well written story but also paying tribute to said NES game

as such, Pit being the Lead character and all has got to be a choice for this, he is the Classic Idiot Hero, but played in a amusing and often Adorable Dorkish way, while also Portraying him as a capable fighter who knows how to handle various Weapons and can go toe to toe with Gods, and having some Great Banter between his beloved Palutena, and the many other Characters featured in the game itself.

devil-may-cry-4-review-images-2.jpg

"Devils never cry"

ah Dante....I mentioned him last time as a Honorable mention but I just have to elaborate on him...

what is there to Love about Dante.....well, a whole lot

his Cool Looks, his sense of SSStyle, his Humor, his Love for his Family, his Sense of Doing good while looking Good, his wide mastery of all Sorts of Weapons and Magic and his Devil Trigger

Dante is the kind of Character people want to be, Cool, Confident, SSStylish and Good Looking and afraid of not even the biggest and meanest Demon Gods that came crawling out of Satans stinking Asshole, all while maintinging a smile and Humor thats guaranteed to set said Demon Gods into a Salty Ragefit.

He's a Fun character is what I'm getting at, you see him in a Game, you know you're gonna have a good time, and thats what matters in the Video Games.

Honorable mention goes to Ameterasu from Okami and Solid Snake from Metal Gear.

• Thumbs Up 2

Day 18: Favourite protagonist

I'm sure in the previous thread I mentioned Jim Raynor from the Starcraft series (and I'd guess what happened in SC2's expansion would merit another mention) but for the sake of trying (and failing) to not be so repetitive I'll have to go with another one.

luigi-2.jpg
Green Mario Guy!
... Uuuhhh... No!... Eh... Green Moustache!
Loo... oh dammit...

Luigi! Yeah! He's the man!

Jokes aside, Luigi is in my opinion the most likeable guy in the Mario-verse, we all know about him! His constant struggle to prove he can be as much as a hero as his brother, the way the universe seems to forget his existence and importance every now and then, his attempts to find love that were not as successful as his brother's (IIRC)... Sort of... Hi cowardice and lack of predisposition to go jumping right into an adventure, and if Brawl is anything to go by he holds some pretty creepy darkness in his heart that he has acknowledged and embraces from time to time. (seriously, I still don't fully understand what the hell is that... Is it even explained in a game I might have not played?)

In the games he shares with his brother the way he might deal with things could vary, maybe he fails sometimes, maybe he chickens out leaving Big Bro Mario to deal with the issue at hand... and maybe he might even end up opposing the good guys for reasons out of his control! But IMO that only makes him more relatable. 

In his own games, he shows us that no matter how much his legs are shaking or how much he wishes he could be lazying around on his home he'll do anything to save those dear to him. Even if that means facing his inner and outer demons (and BTW, King Boo almost reaches Dimentio levels of unsettling considering how drunk on revenge he got on Dark Moon) in the end he always comes through, and shows us that anyone can be a hero.

Also, he jumps higher so there! :U

• Thumbs Up 1

179_mario_luigi_superstar_saga-prev.png

Super Mario Bros. 

Mario and Luigi are fantastic characters. They have simple, colorful, iconic designs, and while they're not very developed, they've got a special place in my heart. Mario represents "love, joy and a sense of adventure" as Charles Martinet put it. He's brave, confident and does everything with a smile. Mario was basically my superhero as a kid, as ridiculous as that might sound. Luigi, the more relatable bro, is just as capable, if not a bit timid and reasonably frightened. He can do what he puts his mind to, but doesn't have his older brother's (or twin's?) confidence and it holds him back.

I love the bond these characters have, especially in the RPGs. Their siblinghood is shown more there than anywhere else. It's funny to watch them fight monsters one minute only to reunite and cry in each other's arms in the next scene. 

If I had to choose, I'd say Mario is my favorite, but it's probably because I played as him more, growing up.

Honorable Mentions.

Sonic-the-hedgehog-wreck-it-ralph-charac

It's almost hard to articulate why I like Sonic, but I do. He's got a memorable design, and cool powers. He can also be pretty funny from time to time, intentionally or unintentionally.

megaman1d.jpg

Mega Man is a super fighting robot. He's got a charming, basic look, and really neat abilities to boot. But he's a pacifist; he only fights because he has to. Everyone likes Mega Man. Anyone who does not is simply mistaken.

I like almost every iteration of Mega Man. Starforce, Legends, EXE. I just wish the series would catch a break.

tumblr_mmww7zr1XT1qiuukyo1_400.gif

Speaking of never getting a break; Phoenix Wright, the ace attorney, is easily one of my favorite protagonists. He's easy to project onto in a Charlie Brown sorta way. Like most of us, he's pretty well acquainted with losing or getting the short end of the stick. He's often the straight-man to the insane cast of characters in his games, so his thinking and actions are often in-line with my own. 

What I love about Nick is that he's sort of unassuming. He's not the most eloquent person in the courtroom and is often only hanging on by the skin of his teeth. But that just makes his victories all the sweeter.

• Thumbs Up 1

Sonic the Hedgehog

56208782_sonic.jpg

Yeeaaah, it's not a hard choice.

Even though I'm not nearly a 1/16th of the fan as I used to be of the series, I still love Sonic. He's basically been my backbone in video games from the start, wasted 9-ish years on a forum about him, met all my online friends through him, learned to play guitar because of him, went to Canada as a result of that, and just so much more that it's ridiculous. Sonic is visually a masterpiece in design I still feel, and it's really hard not to like him to some degree. Throw the games and media to the side and just concentrating on him, Sonic is definitely my favorite protagonist for again, a multitude of reasons. He represents ideas like cool, hero, fast, and so forth, and I guess those are all things I've always admired to some extent, so yeah.

No reason in making a long winded response, the iconic blue rodent out speeds all my other fav protags by a few miles for way too many reasons to count.

• Thumbs Up 1

Favorite Protagonist - Day 18

Roxas

RoxasKeyblade.jpg

You're born from the main character of the series and you take on the face of someone you've never met before. You've lost all your memories and you act like a zombie. You only have two friends, both which face a gruesome fate (Lea is a different story) with one of them being entirely erased from existence. You question the organization you work for and you wonder why everyone is keeping secrets from you.

Not only that, your best friend wants to kill you. I'm not sure how I would feel if my best friend wanted to kill me, but I don't think it would be a good feeling. Worst part is that your best friend was made to remove you from existence and be replaced. Your strength dwindles day by day. You're left with no choice but to kill your best friend.
kh3d-xion-o.gif

Oh, and let's not forget that you're still wondering where the hell you came from.

And then you also have someone on your tail trying to kill you so this "Sora" person can come back.
riku+vs+roxas.gif
Then you lose your memories again with them slowly coming back which has you at the point of realizing your purpose.. your summer vacation is over.

Well.. at least you get to meet your true self and show him the awful events he should feel sorry for after he says that you deserve to be your own person.

tumblr_me4hrfqHCh1qbc2ylo2_500.gif

Roxas - the story of a sad life who's friends die and gets forever trapped inside someone else's body.

• Thumbs Up 4

DAY 18 - FAVORITE PROTAGONIST - he's this guy, you see, and he's pretty cool

main.png

KID ICARUS

Kid Icarus is a pretty cool guy. He fights the underworld army and doesn't afraid of anything. 

It's no secret that Kid Icarus Uprising is my favorite 3DS game, and Pit's one of the reasons for that. In a game where everyone's morality is in the gray hues, Pit stands out with his strictly black and white view of the world. He's a huge dork, and his chemistry with Palutena and the other characters makes the game as memorable as it is. In addition, he's got an incredibly versatile arsenal of weapons suited for any situation.

Pit just helped make the game for me, he's great.

• Thumbs Up 3