Awoo.

30 Days of Video Games - BONUS: Why Do You Play Games Pg. 142

Sami

Day 18-Favorite Protagonist

Mario-Party-8-mario-and-luigi-9350789-47

Luigi from the Super Mario series

Not to say Mario isn't a great hero, he certainly is, but Luigi's just got that extra bit of character that edges him out. That being that Luigi actually has conflict being the coward that he is, and despite that he still powers through to either help his brother Mario save the day, or save the day himself when it's MARIO who got himself in trouble. There's a serious sweetness to Mr. Green Stache, true brotherly love and commitment rather than just a regular knack for adventure and courageous feats. Plus, it doesn't hurt that he's the better jumper than his bro.

• Thumbs Up 1

Day 18: Favourite Protagonist

catherine_screens_59.jpg

Vincent Brooks

Vincent is an odd one, which is probably why I like him. He's a guy, who is trapped in that place between where you are not exactly a young man, but not quite an adult either. You look like an adult, but still wanna go out and party, still wanna sleep around and still wanna be wild.

Whereas his girlfriend wants to settle down, his friends are also showing signs of wanting to settle down.

People around him are also undergoing their own small mid or quarter life crisis...

Whilst it's not said this in the game, paying through it feels like you're going through your own life crisis, to grow up or stay wild for a little while longer. 

This is symbolised by his choice of partners, Katherine or Catherine. Katherine means he's ready to grow up, Catherine means he wants to remain wild. The game lets you decide how or who he should be with, though don't think you're going to escape, you too are going to find out A LOT about yourself when you play this game and for some people it's going to shock them. 

E.g. Vincent is asked "Is it ok to cheat on your partner? If they have given you permission to do so?" or  "Could you show everything in your inbox to your lover?" 

Now some of them you can answer easily... and then there's one or two others... and when you see how your answers compare to everyone else playing... oh boy you are in for a surprise!

You really can't help but identify with him, because whilst he's the one being questioned, you're being forced to answer based on your own thoughts, even when Catherine texts you, how far do you take it? 

That and....

Catherine_FeaturedImage.jpg

*Sees Katherine* *Tiny love heart*

And also this guy...

uncharted_nathan_drake.jpeg

Nathan Drake

Drake is awesome. He's just a guy who longs for adventure and actually goes on them... and what adventures they are. Even when hanging off a cliff, being chased by a helicopter or leaping over a speeding train he still has time to pull a one liner with one breath of air and a flirty pop with another.

• Thumbs Up 4

Hmm...

Yanno, I really want to mention Sonic. I mean, he is my favorite gaming protagonist. But, that would be too easy I think. So, I'm going to go with someone who's series I admittedly haven't played a whole lot of (I'm only on the second game actually), but who has quickly grown to be one of my favorites despite all that;

335574-praa_phoenix_wright3.jpg

Phoenix Wright - Ace Attorney Series

Yes, this guy. What can I say about this guy that other people haven't already said? What makes me like Phoenix is how relatable he is. He's a huge dork and can be very sarcastic at times (though he usually keeps those quips to himself), but he believes in his clients and will do whatever he can to prove their innocence. He's also shown himself to be very intelligent and comes across as someone who really cares about his friends.

Day 15: Favorite Moment

In general, when I beat a game where the last boss was really hard. I hate when games have easy final bosses.

But if you want something specific, here goes:

Flying with the jetpack in Crash 2:

user_size_82092.jpg

You are teleported to yet another level in the last room of the game. You take a deep breathe and walk in through the door... but what's this? The alarms start to soar, red lights starts to glow, as Crash puts on one of the most iconic gears of the franchise. The fucking jetpack. I love the jetpack levels, the music is fantastic, the challenge is great, and it's just fun to play, I mean, you are flying with a jetpack for god's sake! It's one of my favorite moments of the Crash franchise and the one I remember most. PS.: I know the controls are bollocks, but c'mon, I never had a problem with that.

---

Day 16: Saddest Moment

I'll bring Red Dead again, because this must be said:

I'm glad I haven't saw any spoilers of this game, because

that mission, man.

On that day, I was really into the game, played non-stoping for hours and hours, through several missions, seeking revenge on that bastard Dutch. When he's finally dead, I thought the game was over, I was waiting for credits. But then, you can go back to John's family. I found this a really nice touch, because John is a very likeable man, and the missions where he interacts with his family are rewarding and somewhat heartwarming. You feel connected to him at this point of the game. I thought everything would be fine and it would be over soon. And it did. But not the way I was expecting it to be.

The mission starts. The government forces cowardly attack your house of sudden, shooting your uncle. John protects his wife and son, and leads them to a barn, where they safely escape by horse, leaving him behind. He then... takes a deep breathe. He knows what will happen next, and so do you. John opens the barn's door and meets his fate.

tumblr_n08wvksVNK1sdpa88o2_250.gif

Tears were be dropped. John Marston, the protagonist of the game, dies, brutally. It was shocking. Of course, despite everything, John was still an outlaw, an assassin. But during those last missions, you actually believe that his debt was paid, and he would just live with his family, leaving his crime carreer behind. But no. Colonel Ross puts him out of misery cowardly. Maybe he was right doing so, from a different perspective, John was a dangerous and unpredictable man, and even if he said his crime days were over, you never know. Still, coward move, Ross.

---

Day 17: Best Combat

DefJam: Fight for NY. I just remembered that game, and how awesome it was, so maybe this is nostalgia talking, anyway.

defjam2.jpg

This game rocks. The combat system is solid, and God, it's rewarding. You can pick any shit from the scenario to smack in your enemies faces, aswell as using the own scenario elements to doing so. You can create your own character to play with, and pick 2 fightstyles for him, each very unique. Let's say you pick martial arts: you'll be able to perform backflips, flying kicks, walk on the walls, the regular ninja shit. Oh, and there's the blazin mode. You can enter blazin mode when you smack your opponents without getting hit, the classic, doing good. When you're blazing, you move faster, your attacks become stronger and you can perform the special move, which are all fucking fantastic. Basically, you become super saiyan.

---

So yeah, I'll cover day 18 tomorrow, I'm 2 tired right now sad.png

Day 18: Favorite Protagonist

This is a pretty easy choice.

004.jpg

Yuri Lowell- Tales of Vesperia.

One of the greatest characters I have ever come across in any video game. Yuri is not exactly the typical protagonist that you would think of; in fact, he's more of an anti-hero than a hero. At multiple points in the game, he makes some decisions that are questioned by those around him.

He kills off two nobles, Ragou and Cumore, and is called out on it by his friend, Flynn on it. He responds that his actions were necessary to save the lives of countless others. When Flynn tells Yuri he's no better than a common criminal, Yurl acknowledges that he would do whatever it took to help out the average person.

But you can't deny that lives were saved because those bastards were put down. You'd rather tell those people, 'Sorry you have to die today. I promise we'll change things real soon'?

This quote alone gives his exact reasons for killing Ragou and Cumore. He wants to save lives, and he believes that killing both of them will stop them from ending the lives of many innocent people.

Yuri is twenty-one, and is the second oldest member of the party. Because of his age, he is actually one of the more developed characters in the game. Although he does not have significant development, he does help the other characters in the game with their own development. He serves as a big brother/role model towards Karol, teaching him bravery and how to become a leader. He also helps Estelle figure out her own path in life, and serves as a guide towards her goals.

My favorite thing about Yuri is his personality. He's sarcastic and witty, usually making fun of the other party members for things that they say or do. He's always willing to help out those in need, and is always very generous.

There is another moment in the first part where they plan to get a horn from a monster to see Ragou. After obtaining the horn, Yuri gives it to a family whose son was taken from them, telling them to sell it off so they could pay their taxes and get their son back.

Oh, and he's a total badass, too.

Yuri is a different take on a protagonist, and that's what I love about him. He does what he thinks is right, whether it is justified or not. This does get him into some trouble, but sometimes trouble needs to be caused in order for solutions to be made.

Leon Kennedy - Resident Evil 4

5_leonskennedy.jpg

Possibly the best incarnation of the best Resident Evil protaganist. Leon Kennedy has got it all. He's got a leather jacket that people in real life have spent hundreds of dollars on, he's got tons of weird, cheesy, and awkward jokes and one-liners to tell everyone, and he's got the ability to suplex cultists so hard that they die. When the president's daughter is in danger, Leon Kennedy will bungle through the mission and somehow make it out alive.

Really though, he's way more of a character than many of the other Resident Evil protaganists, and his sarcastic quips during dialogue with other characters made the scenes way more entertaining then they should've been. 

• Thumbs Up 5

Day 18 - Favorite Protagonist

Hard to think for this one.  So here's 3 quick choices.

Samus Aran - Metroid - One of the key female video game characters, mainly because she was one of the first girls to do everything guys did in games and so much more.  She can curl into a ball, she can acquire tons of weapons, and she can make people explode by flipping into them.  Her title of Bounty Hunter sounds pretty cold, which is why it's so admirable that she goes out of her way to save people and entire galaxies on a regular basis.  Simply put, she's a badass, gurl power. 

James Sunderland - Silent Hill 2 - As I said before, this guy is fucked up, and the entire game pretty much resolves around him addressing his emotional and psychological issues.  He's pretty much the opposite of what most protagonists strive to be.  He's insecure, troubled, and weak - and that's why he's so intriguing.

Wonder Red - The Wonderful 101 - Just a great role model.  He's not the strongest warrior, or the smartest thinker, or even the most skilled, but his passionate desire for justice is what makes him so likable.  He can keep an entire team together even when things look bleak, and his righteous and protective personality make him very admirable.  And he carries these values into his day job as a teacher.  That's just plain cool.

I'm gonna go with Link. He's a silent dude, with a lot of character. Mainly due to his expressions. (Toon Link is my favorite then obviously) No matter what form or version I'm playing as, there are common elements yes, but distinct differences between each one that makes Link such a interesting character. Windwaker Link doesn't care about being The Hero and just wants to save his sister, Skyward Sword Link is trying to rescue his friend and begins the entire line, Young Link not only saves Zelda, but continues to show personal growth through MM! Each one has different goals that keeps Link fresh and new, but they never detract from his roots. He's still and always will be the hero of time.

Day 18: Another Eleventh Hour Post: Favorite Hero

28wnsyq.jpg

The Nameless One, from Planescape: Torment

I believe I mentioned somewhere back in my advertisement for Planescape: Torment that the Nameless One was one of my favorite protagonists of all time, and he certainly did not earn that distinction easily. He's ugly, a cliche amnesiac, and he can't even use any swords! Beyond all that surface guff, though, there was something intriguing about the Nameless One that stuck with me through the years. He felt real.

I don't mean that to say that his characters was rounded or three-dimensional, though is was these things as well. I could see myself in the Nameless One in ways the silent protagonist could only dream of, all without losing a single line of dialogue. Every path laid out for him was believable and nuanced, from the highest saint to the most wicked of men,  and each path felt like a true extension of the story, rather than any simple Renegade/Paragon decision. If there was ever anything as ridiculous as a four-dimensional character, I'd say Nameless One is a prime example. He is not only one great character, but many, and each feel like a part of him.

Runners Up:

• Luigi, from Super Mario Bros.
  • Pit, from Kid Icarus
  • James Sunderland, Silent Hill 2
  • The Persona 4 Cast, from Shin Megami Tensai 2

30 Days Thread: "He's Already Been Picked Like a Million Times but Whatever" Edition!

Favorite Protagonist: Pit

Pit-Three_Sacred_Treasures-Uprising.png

My post for "Favorite Game" went to Kid Icarus: Uprising, and in it I mentioned that the dialogue was great to listen to. Well, this guy is a big part of why. He may be hopelessly optimistic, loyal to a fault, and not especially bright, but he's genuinely heroic, and actually cares about doing the right thing. Considering that just about every other character in the game is doing what they do for their own selfish reasons, it kind of sets him apart. He's also funny, in a goofy and dorky kind of way, and a walking arsenal.

• Thumbs Up 2

Day 18: Favorite protagonist

layton_movie.jpg

Professor Hershel Layton

There's something about Sherlock characters that I always enjoy. Their wit, their cunning, their resourcefulness, and the constant mystery of how much more they know than you. Professor Layton is no exception.

Layton is, in every meaning of the word, a true gentleman. He speaks politely, he dresses formerly, he is curtious to those around him, and he drinks his daily brew of tea. He inherited this nature through his mother, who is equally as polite, and strives to make a good example for those around him.

This does not mean that he is incapable of handling adventures, though. For as good as he can brew a pot of sweet tea, he can handle a sword, create a contraption, ride a horse, or zipline between two planes just as well. He is very flexible to situations, and knows when he might be getting ahead of himself, allowing him to step back, think, then make his next move without risking his own life. He earned all these traits through his best friend, some through example, and some from realizing faults.

He's also quite strong for just one person. As I've said multiple times in previous questions, poor Hershel has been through quite a lot, and at this point in the series should have cracked from so much emotional stress. He hasn't, though. He remains calm, collected, and rational throughout nearly every situation, a trait that has saved his life and his missions multiple times. For a single man, he can take quite the punch.

And finally, his intellect. Throughout the series, you control Layton to solve puzzles, giving him an artificial intellect, but as the series progresses, he shows his prowess more often than not. He thinks about the situation far deeper than the other characters, and sometimes even deeper than you. When he does spot something out of the ordinary, he acknowledges it, but still keeps his mind open to other possibilities, waiting for more evidence to solidify his analysis. When he does figure it out, it's not through the convenience of the plot, but through the amounts of details he spots and hypothesizes with in his mind. He's not infallible, as he misses certain critical details in the mystery, due to being only human, but when the situation calls for it, his mind will solve the mystery almost as fast as Sherlock Homes himself.

Polite, agile, strong, smart, and resourceful, the professor is the perfect role-model for everyone, and is definitely my favorite protagonist ever.

Honorable mentions go to:

Ratchet from Ratchet and Clank, for his friendship with Clank, his character development, and his (later into the series) strong sense of morality.

Wonder Red from Wonderful 101, for his strong sense of justice, even when faced by demons of his past

And Mario & Luigi, for their unbreakable brotherly bond.

Day 18: Complete

• Thumbs Up 3

s3ZRcCe.jpg

I don't think there's anybody who endears to me quite in the same way as Joe does. Everyone remembers the Viewtiful Joe games primarily for their gameplay and difficulty, but I'm also a huge fan of the first game's story for embracing movie clichés and running them right into the ground.

Joe is a guy who doesn't chicken out at the call; rather than hesitate or doubt his own capabilities when Captain Blue presents him the V-watch, he slaps it on with gusto and leaps straight into action. He's a cocky guy who uses his extensive knowledge of movies to his advantage and cracks jokes when he can while being savvy enough about his own powers to prove that he knows how to use them, even if he's not always aware of what he's supposed to be doing. Joe takes everything about his job in stride, but he's not one who is totally unaffected by the things going on around him. A certain plot twist later on in the game is nearly enough to break his morale, but he manages to snap out of it and face his challenges with firm resolve. It's a minor piece of character development, but the moment Joe declares the line, "I'm gonna show you what it means to be a true hero!" is always when I get the most pumped during the endgame.

I just really love Joe 'cause there's nothing about him that reeks of cynicism or irony; he's a positive, upstanding dude who never lets the bad stuff get in the way of doing what's right, and he's focused enough on the task to not stray from his duties while still managing to have tons of fun along the way. Joe loves what he does, and he is definitely a fine example of what a hero should be.

• Thumbs Up 6

Day 18: Favorite Protagonists

(besides Sonic, whom SuperLink & Kiah did great posts on btw)

CutPicture.com_2012-Aug-03_10_13_54.jpg

Ado / Adeline (Kirby)

Assuming they're the same character (it's pretty obvious they are), I've always really liked Ado. She's only appeared in two games, and I guess my liking for her as a character intensified when she happened to be in both of my favorites in the series (Dream Land 3 & 64)!

I don't know. I've always liked the idea that she was a human in Kirby's world. A human! That's never happened before and I don't think it's happened since. Just imagining a human of all things in Kirby is amusing, and her being the only one makes it unique enough to where it's not even a big deal. 

She's a cutesy artsy character that's fun and adorable, and I can't find a reason to dislike her. I just wish she'd return someday, and hopefully as playable! Reading K64's beta info and how she was considered for playable alongside Waddle Dee and King Dedede but overall cancelled was disappointing. A human in a Kirby game, though! It would've been so neat to see how it'd work!

But yeah. Simple character whom I really like for a simple reason. I'd list Kirby here in her place, but I decided to shake it up a bit since the other two responses from me are a little predictable. tongue.png

zeldaposter.png

Link (Legend of Zelda).

Ever since I heard about the "not every Link is the same Link" part of the Zelda franchise's mythos long ago, I've been super interested in the 'character' of Link, if you will. He almost always tends to be the sign of courage, and is picked out via destiny by whatever factors in his physical and mental traits to be the one. He's had so many different forms, so many different looks and different motives, but his will to break past his comfort zone of simple life for the sake of his true calling is admirable.

It's all that, plus him being blonde haired, blue eyed and left handed (like me) that made me interested in him. Found the physical aspects especially relatable. :v

But even for as much as I love Link, I'm going to have to give it to (yep, here we go)..

earthbound__arcadecon_print_by_peannlui-

The Chosen Four: Ness, Paula Jones, Jeff Andonuts, and Prince Poo (EarthBound).

"A bee I am not... I'm from 10 years in the future. And, in the future, all is devastation... Giygas, the universal cosmic destroyer, sent all to the horror of eternal darkness... ...... However, you must listen! Where I am from, there is a well-known legend that has been handed down from ancient times. It says "When the chosen boy reaches the point, he will find the light. The passing of time will shatter the nightmare rock and will reveal the path of light." You see, it is my opinion that you are that boy, Ness. This I believe... ...... Giygas' monstrous plan must have been set in motion somewhere on Earth... If you start to confront the enemy immediately, you may have time to counter the evil intentions of Giygas. Three things are of the utmost importance: wisdom, courage, and friendship. ...The legends from the ancient times tell of three boys and a girl who defeat Giygas. ...I will tell you more later. Go now! And do not be anxious about the future. You have much work to do, Ness." — Buzz Buzz

Four early-adolescence children, all from different parts of the world, come together using the great strengths of their unusually powerful minds, and plan to outwit the embodiment of evil itself. Poo is a handsome prince of a nation and an early master of meditation training, Jeff is a timid yet adamant boy genius from a boarding school, Paula is a child prodigy amongst her family and peers due to her psychic abilities, and Ness is just your average kid who happens to have the previously mentioned psychic powers, as well as the weight of the entire universe on his shoulders.

Although you don't get to hear them individually talk too much (you hear the most from Paula), the message of the the main four's bond is undeniable. They stick together in close quarters, sleep in the same hotel rooms, eat together, hold each other's things and fight together. It becomes apparent early on that they're not just there as young soldiers on a mission, but as friends. And that message keeps getting more powerful as the game goes on, and intensifies to it's highest extent by the endgame.

It's just the idea that these kids left their lives as they knew them, and went out into a real, dangerous world. That they knew they would face the pains and disorienting paths of adulthood, all to defeat something much greater than them or anything else.. but due to their combined strengths, their growing self-confidence, and their bonds, they take on Death in the face. 

I can't not love these guys. There's no way. They're too lovable and if I was a kid I'd hang out with them any day.

• Thumbs Up 5

220px-TravisTouchdown.png

"You really are an idiot, aren't you, Travis? Come back to reality! I mean, look at yourself! You are a dopy, otaku assassin. The bottom of the barrel. No woman would be caught dead with you... unless she was a desperate bitch! Where in the world could you find a woman who could fall in love with someone like you?"

Anyway, normally I'm not a big fan of Anti-heroes, but there's just something I really enjoyed with Travis Touchdown here. I love how the game handles him with the perfect balance between funny and seriousness. He's "badass" when he's cutting people's heads off and egging on the other assassins with witty banter, but at the same time it's just funny when you realize he's really only doing all this craziness just so he can get laid.... seriously.

When he's not attempting to be badass, the game spends the rest of the time dumping on him. Silvia outright points out that he's just an Otaku (and not in a good way). He'll spend the rest of the game being at the butt of some of the worst things that could happen to him and yet, just the way the game plays it off just adds to his character's charm. I can take this guy seriously with how much of a threat and determined he is, but I can still laugh at how ridiculous some of the stuff he does/has happen to him is.

That also reminds me, you'll spend a lot of time doing mundane tasks like mowing the law, cleaning the beach and you'll notice, Travis isn't living the good life... in fact, he's... actually, kind of a... loser. And that's just why I love him so much as a protagonist. When you get down to it, Travis is just this nerdy guy who won a Lightsabor off Ebay and started killing people just so he can get laid. It's hilarious and sounds like it's pretty much a non-plot, but the game subverts and twists this so hard it's crazy to see where it all eventually goes. The story is easily one of my favorites just because of how well they pull this off.

Oh and don't get me started on his Voice Actor either. He did such an amazing job, that's probably why half of why I fell in love with the character to begin with. Overall I just how much of a lovable character Travis is in both NMH 1 and 2 and his character arc between the two games was done extremely well. 

...speaking of which, now I kinda wanna replay these two gems again and re-experience Travis' journey all over again. tongue.png

Previously on Day 17:

Next time on Day 19: Favorite Antagonist

• Thumbs Up 1

Day:18

Sonic of course

He's my favorite character ever next to Luigi.

He's cool looking, he has that attitude that most people likes. Always looking at the positive and helping others no matter what the situation is.

I'm probably one of the few who actually enjoyed Sonic X and Sonic underground. But Chris Thorndike was annoying and the music in underground was sometimes annoying but its no big deal.

Sonic shows no mercy, he keep pushing and pushing no matter what. Best example was in black knight were he kept going to fight but kept getting pushed back by merlina, I think that's her name.

He loves to have fun and loves a great challenge and its starting to look like Sonic is noticing Eggman getting easier and easier, which is true, the boss battles are becoming less memorable o there than the deadly six.

Can you name the bosses other than the final boss in Sonic colors without searching it up?

Other favorite includes:

Luigi and Mario

Donkey Kong

Day 18 - Favorite Protagonist

I have several favorite Game Protagonists, besides Sonic taking the #1 spot.

The Pokémon Colosseum Trainer/Wes

Pokemon_Colosseum_poster.jpg

One of the best Snaggers of Team Snagem, this trainer decides to steal the brand new portable snag machine, destroy the big ones, and leave Team Snagem for the cops to find. Now, together with his Espeon, Umbreon, and female partner that can see Shadow Pokémon, he sets out to snag and purify them and end the Shadow Pokémon plan. Along with other features that Colosseum has, Wes was a cool twist on the regular Pokémon story.

Mario and Luigi: Bowser's Inside Story/Bowser

hqdefault.jpg

OK, watching Bowser try to save his kingdom and save the Princess for a change was funny and epic. Whether he's setting Goombas on fire as an attack or becoming a giant to take down a mech, Bowser's fun to play as. Also, his gift at the end was sweet.

Parappa the Rappa

parappa.jpg

Do you want to improve yourself? Do you want to educate yourself? Do you want to make money? Do you want to bake a cake? Do you have a bathroom emergency? Then there's one thing you need to do…YOU GOTTA BELIEVE!

Sonic_Art_Assets_DVD_-_Sonic_The_Hedgeho

Sonic the Hedgehog: A bit cliche but what do you expect? I just love the character man. To me he represent the opposite of what a character like Mario portrays, he has a personality, he's fun loving, a bit reckless, a bit of an egotist, but is all about the ideals of freedom and against the ideals of subjugation. I love how he just has everything roll off his back and is always looking forward and never looking back. It was kind of inspirational to me as a kid and it's a trait of the character I always admired, even today if he's a bit more of a goofball, that's fine, as he is still an entertaining character by all intents and purposes. So yeah, he's my personal choice for number one and I dont think that will change. 

Link: Though he doesnt really have much in the way of personality I always find myself getting attached to the characters. He's simple boy whose tasked with the duty of saving the world from evil, something he's never done without fail. I think in games like Wind Waker and Skyward Sword where Link is allowed to show more signs of his character is when I tend to like him the most. His relationship with Zelda in SS is actually very charming and you can really feel the emotional depth of Link in certain scenes (the crystal scene being a big one), thats the kinda Link I loved.

• Thumbs Up 1

Luigi is my favourite, but a lot of people have already spoken about him so not going to go ramble on about him this time. I'm also sure most of us like Sonic, although I don't think I'd go for him even if I wasn't avoiding Sonic answers as the game version of him is a little more boring to me these days. When I talk about him being my favourite character, I tend to be referring to the STC version just because he was a lot more interesting.

So going to go with this girl.

16iefls.jpg

There's still not a vast number of awesome female protagonists in gaming, but No One Lives Forever managed to give us an incredible one 14 years ago with Cate Archer and it's a shame that the series isn't more well known.

Not got time to make a long post today, but I love Cate because she's capable, funny and brilliant, and is one of the most well-written characters I've come across. At the start of the game she might come across as a bit of a caricature, but as soon as the plot kicks off she demonstrates just how good she is at her job a number of times, even when her superiors and colleagues often challenge her right to be there just because she's female and she's often made to prove herself despite being more skilled than a good number of them. But she never lets it get to her and always refuses to back down even if she knows it's going to land her in more trouble, and even if she might not always have the brawn to get herself back out of it, she certainly has the brains and resourcefulness.

I'd love to see more characters like Cate Archer, or heck, just see a revival of the NOLF series so more people can see how it should be done.

• Thumbs Up 2

I got 2 for this one. Huehuehue.

291px-Master_Chief-H3.png

We all know  Master Chief is one for saving the world from the Covenant and Flood. He's pretty damn tough, even surviving a fall from space and come up just fine  But during gameplay, he's not so tough when you go near a few feet of water lol. He always get the job done when needed and is quick at decisions that are best for the fate of humanity.

Everyone is always curious as to what John looks like underneath the helmet. He has taken it off a few times during cutscenes but its still not enough to show a face.

He never goes anywhere without his reliable A.I Cortana. When John needs some doors open, security hacks done or a ship ready to go before a massive explosion, she is ready to help.

___________________________________________________________________________________

And of course, I had a feeling this topic would come up so I cannot resist but list my most favorite protagonist of all time. He is what made my childhood enjoyable (and for many of us here as well).

transparent_cool_sonic_render_by_sonican

That's right. Our most beloved speedy blue hedgehog, Sonic is obviously my most favorite protagonist. His super speed, heroism, powers,  epic moves and upbeat personality is what I love about him. When there's someone in trouble, he's always the first on the scene to help. He isn't the type to be sitting around all day or taking things slow. We've all seen his reaction to being stranded on a cruise ship in Sonic X, it's not fun for him.

In the face of extreme danger, he's got plenty of friends to help him out. If Eggman is snooPING AS usual with yet another plot to take over the world, Sonic is always one step ahead of him to foil his evil plans time and time again.

• Thumbs Up 1

MaNAhHQ.png

When No More Heroes instantly starts up we're introduced to the game with a monologue from the protagonist, Travis Touchdown, explaining the game and his motivations. This isn't necessarily a big thing, but where the one line stands out in his monologue is when he says what his goal is - "I want to be number one. How's that, short and simple enough for you?"

This is instantly the point to where I'm able to relate to this guy, and possibly a large number of other people's subconscious mindsets. After all, the opening line in the monologue is him openly admitting that a lot of gamers lack patience to sit through overly long expository storylines. People want the action but they still want the bare minimum of context, and throughout the adventure that is No More Heroes, Travis Touchdown is essentially a player persona represented in the confines of American stereotypes. Travis is not some bad ass - he's a complete loser and starts out at zero, until he purchases a beam sword and vows to become number one.

Let's imagine for a second then that the beam katana that Travis purchases is basically the equivalent to the player purchasing the game. He bought something awesome with something to prove, and he wants to conquer the world out there and show it who's boss. He wants to beat the game and come out on top. Not only that, but he expects that this "skill" of his and him beating the game will eventually end up with him impressing a chick he has the hots for, and that he can get laid as a result.

What's fascinating about Travis is that this personification serves to add more depth to the people around him, who have been-there-done-that and know that the road he's on is a pointless one. But that doesn't really deter him, he still strings from situation to situation with the same conviction, all while doing odd jobs, collecting nerd memorabilia, brand wear, renting porn, playing videogames etcetera. Throughout his journey he'll react accordingly to exciting situations as well as completely bullshit ones (being cheated out of a fight for instance). Despite him also being a pretty pathetic no one, he still maintains a "code of honor" which is exactly how you imagine a pop-culture influenced geek to uphold in order to impress people and treat it as some sort of "character depth". And at the end of the day even after fulfilling the criteria for the 100% ending he still hasn't really changed. He's still a loser expecting something greater than what he's amounting to and expecting.

And I can sympathize with that. He's an ideal representation of what uncool people thinks is "cool", and somehow I relate to it more than any other protagonist out there. It's thanks to this I'm able to experience the crapsack world that is No More Heroes, something that deconstructs video games as a medium by embodying some of it's stereotypes in the process, and surprisingly enough he ends up being the most "human" character in a world that is pretty full of shit.
  • Thumbs Up 6

Day 18 - Favourite "get that lame Mary Sue out of here Ninja we're talking about good characters" Protagonist

Now this one might come as a bit of a surprise to people who know me but....

phoenix-wright.jpg

I don't feel most of my usual choices would fit any better than Old Feenie here, as any of my normal favourites come from games that don't have much of a story to be the protagonist of or the reasons I like them fall outside any sort of story context altogether, Phoenix on the other hand, is a different kettle of fish.

One of my favourite aspects of Feenie's character is the inner monologue that we as the viewer are privvy to, revealing the exasperated thoughts and dry wit of our plucky 'hero' as he's subjected to countless weird situations, colourful characters and constant pressure when faced from with the unrelenting prosecution. I also really like the conviction he shows for his clients, putting full faith in them to be innocent, and fight every tooth and damn nail to prove that in court.

It's also glorious once he finally one ups his opponent. Throughout every court case Phoenix is presented as something of an underdog, with the opposition asserting their presence more often than not and sometimes just because old Udgey just can't seem to give him a break, so when he makes his famous turnabouts in the case, it's amazing to see him with the upperhand, a smug smile on his face the entire time.

• Thumbs Up 5

406px-Luigi_Artwork_-_Super_Mario_3D_Wor

Luigi

While I love Mario for being the iconic and titular character of the series, Luigi does have its own place as a favourite in the franchise for many people (including myself). The most particular thing about Luigi in comparison to other characters in the series including Mario himself is his personality: nervous and timid but good-natured and always looking to his older brother, a trait that has been expanded outside of the main platforming series in recent years. In fact, The Year of Luigi has given the character the perfect moment to shine and demonstrate that he is by no means a second Mario as he used to be known in the past.

Going through the games where he has had a relatively notable presence to even being the main character, Luigi does have his fair share of adventures, like is quirky tales of the Pudding Continent in Paper Mario: The Thousand-Year Door, kicking ass alongside his brother in the Mario & Luigi series, or helping out Professor E. Gadd while doing some ghostbusting business in the Luigi's Mansion series. In these games, Luigi does have his moments of being brave (or at least trying to be!) while looking up to Mario; in fact, his older brother is a true example for him to follow since he desires to be just as strong and brave as him.

So not only is Luigi my favourite protagonist but I also think he's one of the best Mario characters with the most developed personality yet. The Year of Luigi certainly helped to develop such personality deeper and show to the audience what he is capable to do, and I am looking forward to see more adventures of the younger brother of the Mario Brothers duo since, as demonstrated in these games, he has a lot of potential to shine on his own.

(Didn't have enough time to leave an introduction right now since the next question is up soon!) .w.

• Thumbs Up 1

Michael De Santa is the protagonist that Rockstar had been going out of their way to stop making for basically a decade (John Marston excepting). He's the sarcastic smartass who manages to be ruthless (seen by his tendency to backstab if he sees it as the much better option) without being a complete sociopath (especially compared to Trevor). He's the self-made criminal who doesn't see violence as the answer to every question. He's the approachable mentor figure. He's the caring family man who struggles to put his family first even when he realizes he shouldn't. All told, he's a relatable and downright nice guy for the standards of a GTA game, and every attempt to try to subvert his image in the game (as Rockstar loves to do ever since they got all serious with GTA IV) story falls flat simply because it's less plausible to believe how he's such a scumbag when the people who act like he's such a horrible person are completely unlikeable hypocrites; and all of the people who look up to him are genuine in their feelings.

In fact, he's such a strong, emphatic character that when Trevor kills off his son, you only feel sad about it because of how it effects him rather than through any bond with that whiny dick.

Day Numbero 18: Kerfluffle: Ninja's "Way more Capable of Villany than Kamis 2 Bit Crook" Favourite Villain Ever!

and I have to go against my promise of not using Sonic and go with....

wmlfWIv.png

"Time for a change of Pace"

of course you all know this Guy, and of course you all Love this guy, His Awesome Inventions, his Great Sense for style, his Awesome Mustache, his Determination and his ability to even escape from the seemingly unescapable, truly he is the only right cho-

"Now wait just a second."

uh, what?

"I said wait just a second."

oh please dont tell me.....

g001T1m.png

"Sorry to keep you waiting!"

well, there you have it Fellas, my actual choice for Favourite Antagonist: Hades, from Kid Icarus Uprising.

Hades is the Kind of Villain who gets you from out of nowhere, you Just beat Medusa in a Awesome Final Battle, and everyone is Laughing and everything is fine.

and then He appears out of nowhere, and reveals he's been playing the strings all along!

what Follows is him Stealing the show for the rest of the game. Remember when I said Kid Icarus Uprising had great writing? Yeah, he is responsible for about 60% of it being so good.

He is literally like Hades from the Disney version of Hercules, except more Badass and three times as Intimidating when he needs to be, as seen by his Awesome Final Battle against him.

Hades is everything a Villain needs to be in my Opinion: Intimidating, cool Looking, cool sounding and most Importandly, Entertaining to watch.

Honorable Mention goes to Revolver Ocelot, from the Metal Gear Series, for being an Awesome Juggler and doing a rad Cat impression

• Thumbs Up 3