Sami

Legretta the Quick from Tales of the Abyss

Anime_Concept_Legretta_1.jpg

She's hot

She's one of the few Tales characters that uses guns

She's hot

She's got no motive for the things she's doing other than loyalty

She's also really fucking hot.

I don't really have a favorite antagonist but Legretta is up there.

Well...

Deadly Six (Sonic Lost World)

My favourite Videogame Villains are no other than these six little devils, these crazy demons that are quite the incarnation of six of the seven deadly sins:

-the absolutely mad Zazz is the Wrath;

-the endlessly hungry Zomom is the Gluttony;

-the old and competent Master Zik is the Pride;

-the sexy and uninterested Zeena is the Lust;

-the depressed and compliant Zor is the Sloth;

-the power-hungry and revenge-seeker Zavok is the Greed.

Together, they are both the funniest and the most dangerous and unpredictable enemies Sonic has ever faced.

Eggman here, Eggman there. What is this? A Sonic Forum?...ah, yeah.

But, see, the Video Game World has another famous doctor who fights against a blue pest. Of course, I'm talking about...

PpWv9tF.png

Doctor Albert W. Wily.

An old-time friend of Doctor Thomas Xavier Light turned to villainy because of envy and thirst for power. I always loved the western version of his backstory; the sub-text it brings to the games makes everything different, somewhat melancholic; that's why I love what Archie Comics is doing to his character. It was already stated in the games that Albert loves his machines, but to finally see it with my own eyes, Super Adventure Rockman aside, is like a dream coming true. He is still a prick, a bastard, and an all-around asshole, but I just can't get angry at him...just look at his face!

By the way, in the Japanese version, if I'm not mistaken, he is JUST some guy who wants to conquer the world, no ties to Light, Protoman and the like. When I discovered this, I was kinda disappointed.

Day 19: Favourite Antagonist

super-smash-bros-wii-u-and-3ds-bowser-ar

Bowser is pretty basic as villains get, being the typical fire breathing dragon holding the princess hostage. However, throughout the years with games like Sunshine, his motives and such have been developed, and he's become more of a defined character, possibly moreso than Mario himself.

It's a boring reason, but Bowser fits the bill pretty well, and in my opinion, that simplicity is fine.

• Thumbs Up 3

Day 19: Favorite Antagonist

I have two that I really like, so I'll just talk about them both.

j3IYouI.jpg

Wheatley - Portal 2

Man, this little idiot. He starts out as your bumbling guide through Aperture, helping you pass certain obstacles along the way. You sort of grow attached to him, and you think all is well and good once you put him in the position GLaDOS held...that quickly proves to be untrue, as he almost instantly goes mad with all the power he now has, and becomes your enemy. It's weird though, you don't really come to dislike him after that point or anything, because he's still the endearing, hilarious simpleton that he was before, just that now he wants to kill you. It's funny, in a cosmic sort of way, and that's why I like him.

430px-MLBiS_Bowser.png

Bowser - (Super Mario Series)

Bowser at his core may just be your classic villain, but man I like him a whole lot. He's a big brute bent on power and destruction, but at the same time he has a softer, more childish side to him. He's a lovable character, while at the same time being someone you enjoy taking down. Man and he just looks cool too. Bowser's pretty simple, but that's all he needs to be.

Honorable mentions go to Dr. Eggman (of course), The Joker from the Batman Arkham games, and King Dedede.

• Thumbs Up 2

Day 19-Favorite Antagonist

Bowser_SM3DL.png

Bowser-Super Mario Series

Despite the fact that his motivation is the typical fair of kidnap the opposing ruler, take over, the King of the Koopas is my favorite recurring antagonist in all the game series I've played. He especially shines in the RPG series, where he comes off as a boob who somehow still manages to get a lot of things done and come off as cool doing it. They actually show off his relationship with his minions as well, which is a lot more casual than you'd expect from someone who is supposed to be a tryant. Mario might beat him every time, but he keeps coming back with a new plan, even going as far to finally conquer another Kingdom rather than doing the predictable. He does it with panache too, turning his base into a gigantic techno Amusement Park, complete with giant anamatronic Neon Bowser bust. He's got  a bigger ego than pretty much any other villain out there, like his SEGA counterpart; Dr. Eggman. He's an absolute goof, but he still manages to seem pretty badass at the same time. You have to admit his voice acting done by Kenny James is pretty awesome, too.

• Thumbs Up 1

Favourite Antagonist

Crtex.png

Dr. Neo Cortex. Cortex tames many traits of a psychopath, he is short tempered, reckless and manipulates others to get what he wants. And boy is it a joy to watch him on screen. His evil voice, which is gravy to the ears, his devious plans, and his cast of associates, Cortex really is a cool villain. The fact he also created Crash Bandicoot, his arch nemesis, makes their rivalry even greater, and deeper, which is fantastic for development.

His intellectual prowess, matched with his hate for Crash and desire for domination, throw in his liar side, and other traits and he really is a great character.

• Thumbs Up 1

This is a bit unfair, coming from a licensed video game property, but I can't help but go with the magnificent Clown Prince of Crime himself.

Joker-gun.jpg

Joker-batman-arkham-asylum-8528921-1280-

Man oh man did the Arkham series do Joker justice.

We all know why we love him so much: he's the perfect foil to Batman, a *Bat*shit insane clown that finds glee in murder, mischief, and mayhem, all voiced to a tee by the wonderful Mark Hamill/Troy Baker. You can never get tired of his taunting and absurd villainy. 

Everything about the character from the comics we all know and love was brought to life perfectly by Rocksteady and WB Montreal, and he's bound to steal the show in every Arkham installment he appears in. I'm hoping he stays relatively out of Arkham Knight, but I don't deny how endearing and fun the character is, who is evil for the hell of it and finds fun in what he does.

Wow, Eggman getting way more love today than Sonic yesterday..
I could repeat my answer here buuuut...

Day 19- Fave Antagonist

maxresdefault.jpg

Henry Cooldown- No more Heroes

Yep it's Henry the Motherf******. And he's earned that moniker for good reason. He's the handsome foil to main character who rushes in the last minute who happens to be his twin brother as he himself claims. Just when you think the plot's over and you relax to take a nice, relaxing dump...

he actually saves you from the guy who interrupts your private time. And it's time for a big showdown. And not without exposition and explanation which actually turns the game on its head and raises more questions. He's SYLVIA'S husband?! What? Brother?! and then we go get thrown into an epic showdown with a bass-kickin' cowboy track (which is remixed even better next game). At the end of it all, instead of a resolution, we get Henry asking how we can attain that as this battle will go on and on and pushes that responsibility back on Travis while shattering the fourth wall brilliantly..leading to mindfuck ending we all know and and love with that high-octane scene captured in a painting. It was the first mindfuck ending I experienced and enjoyed....

Unfortunately, there was a sequel. I did enjoy more battles and some cool boss battles but it kinda takes away from the ending here. And how Henry spiced that ending up. In the second, he trolls Travis with some photos of potential assasin fights to be had. Yes, you could fight as him for one battle. And he had a cool abilities like dashing, projectiles and everlasting power source. But he should have been an unlockable for the other fights and not by hacking. Really missed opportunity there. Now that the NMH series is over, I'd love to play a game with him as the protagonist as a side story..

• Thumbs Up 2

I'd say I'm full of surprises, but that'd be a crock of shit.

Bowsersmg2.png

King Bowser Koopa (Super Mario Bros)

Bowser Koopa, what a contradiction. On the surface, he's a menacing force of pure evil. He has a huge army at his disposable, combining the might of both magic and technology. He's hard to actually off for good coming back even as a creepy as sin skeleton. He has conquered the Mushroom Kingdom several times and even gotten so far as to conquer a galaxy and force it to have a huge reset in the end. If that wasn't enough, his personal might includes a variety of techniques both through special abilities (fire breath, use of magic) and physical might. On paper, he sounds like a creature to be feared.

And yet...

tumblr_n1qin7L8zx1qegdapo7_500.gif

He's also one of the biggest dorks I've ever seen.

Even with all of the traits above, he's bloody hard to take seriously! His biggest setback is probably his own incompetence via his overinflated ego, being proud of showing off at any opportunity possible (lately going so far as mirroring Eggman's longtime schtick because he apparently now wants to get with the times and have a carnival for a base). He really doesn't act too kingly even with the ego, it's more of a general frat boy-like attitude. He's also rather dim and can't make the best use of the abilities he has. But it's not all about him; he has this massive army and they just don't threaten like they should (then again, why was Bowser's first plan of action for the Koopa Troopas in the NSMB series telling them to dance?). Lately even the heroes have been looking at his schemes and thinking "Sigh, not this again". 

But that's not to say he's all about the negatives; in spite of his ego and childish temperament  and everything else, he wants to be a loving and caring father for Prince Bowser Koopa the Second aka Bowser Jr (see, he doesn't even really refer to Bowser Jr as a prince even though that's exactly what he is!). Whether that means having him pitch on on the evil schemes with supervision or otherwise simply monitoring his happiness and keeping the cheeky child in line, you can easily see why Bowser Jr would like his father so much. And that fatherly bond doesn't just stop at his biological son. His lack of kingliness brings with it a more worker-centric and down-to-earth look on things that makes him endearing to said massive army. So despite some individuals doing a runner based on finding his actions morally wrong or fearing him, most stay with him and serve his schemes because they hold high respect for him. 

So yeah, big evil monster, more like big evil dork. 

• Thumbs Up 6

I've missed alot of days, huh? Oh well I'll keep it brief.

D17: Best Combat

How about one of my favorite fighting games of all time

Nintendo-Charged-Super-Smash-Bros-Brawl-

An Honorable Mention is Worms Reloaded, it's so hilarious and everyone should give it a try

D18: Favorite Protagonist

I'm sorry, but I can't ignore my feelings

Sonic_Art_Assets_DVD_-_Sonic_The_Hedgeho

I love him, I love Sonic, I want to BE Sonic. He's just so fucking cool. 

D19: Favorite Antagonist

250px-HnK_KingDedede.png

I NEED A MONSTER TO CLOBBER THAT THERE KIRBY

King Dedede is one of those villains that isn't really a villain, but just a general asshole. But how can you not love him? Maybe he isn't really an antagonist, I mean he tried to save Dreamland in Adventure/Nightmare in Dreamland and he worked alongside Kirby in Return to Dreamland, but for a constant boss in the series, yeah he's an antagonist. I even like Dedede in other incarnations like Brawl in the Family and especially Right Back Atcha. Can't wait to play as him in Smash 4, either!

tumblr_mqtfrs9Xbu1rrftcdo1_500.gif
Bowser

Bowser is amazing. Even though you beat him in almost every single Mario game, fighting him always feels like a significant event. He's great in every main game he's in, but I enjoy him the most in the RPGs.

At first glance, one might think he's just a generic monster. That's how he's depicted in some of the Smash Bros games- which I personally can't stand, because it couldn't be further from the truth. In reality, Bowser is a big, brutish jerk and the epitome of self-love, constantly marveling at his own power and accomplishments. He's incredibly blunt, and always puts himself ahead of others, but his dialogue is usually witty and doesn't feel forced- even that one time he made a reference to Highlander 2, of all things. But while his ego may be big, it's also very fragile, and it's funny to watch his pride be wounded, repeatedly. He's a major, powerful villain, but he's kind of a doofus at the same time.

I know a lot of other villains take a tongue-in-cheek, self-aware approach like Bowser, but they never feel as natural as him, and they usually run their course a lot faster. 

• Thumbs Up 1

normal_3DS_ZeldaOT_2_char04.png

Ganondorf, from Ocarina of Time. 

Ganondorf is basically the embodiment of greed and evil. He is an extremely powerful sorcerer from the Gerudo gang of thieves, and the only male born that century (???). He betrays the king and enters the Sacred Realm because you and Zelda give him the opportunity. He knows where you're going and it's probably the only reason he doesn't kill you. Besides that, I really like how he had a strong presence throughout the game. You get the idea that he's watching your every move when he smites his own phantom in the forest temple. You also feel his influence in the future Hyrule where he has transformed the land and twisted the people. Ingo reveals that he was going to offer Epona as a gift to the "great Ganondorf" which just furthers the idea. 

That and I just feel he has a great design and makes for a great boss fight.

ganondorf.jpg

Other villains are evil, sure, but Ganondorf is the king of it. Ganondorf ends up making one last attempt to bring Link and Zelda down with him, using his Triforce of Power to transform into a monster.

oot-ganon-550x.jpg

That's pretty sick. Seeing this when I was a kid was kinda terrifying. 

• Thumbs Up 4

Day 19 - Favorite Antagonist

Breen_upset.jpg

I think I mentioned before: No game has made me hate its villain as quickly as Half Life 2. I originally tried the game at a friends house, and the moment I stepped off the train into City 17 and heard that condescending voice I turned to him and my first question was when I would get to fight him because goddamn did he piss me off. I think part of what makes him especially effective as the big bad is Half Life 2's design itself. You walk out of the train station and see the citadel looming there with Dr. Breen inside, and the game then whisks you far off until you come back to the city the long way around in the end. It teases you, it makes Breen feel untouchable, but makes it all the sweeter to storm the citadel to face Breen after everything you've fought through. And even then, as easy as it is to hate him, there's still the fact that everything he did was in what he believed to be humanity's best interest. Tasked with handling Earth's dealings with a super-advanced multidimensional empire, no decision he made could have possibly been an easy one. He may have been selfish in some ways but he truly meant to ensure humanity would survive, and it's almost tragic that that makes him such a despicable person from the player's point of view. He's really excellently written to have me both hate him with a fury but admire, to an extent, his actions at the same time.

• Thumbs Up 2

Favorite Antagonist

To the surprise of no one, my favorite is K. Rool.

k_rool_03.png

Now what can I say about K. Rool that RoboRick didn't? Wait a minute, he didn't mention Jungle Climber, that gives me free rain. Sucker.

I'll start off with Rare's games before I get to Jungle Climber. Rare created the character and established the nutball that he is. He's not the same kind of loveable nutball that Robotnik is, he's actually extremely menacing, and his insanity just adds to that. His animation also conveys humor and insanity, but again, it's nothing like Robotnik. Look at the animation in DKC2 when he sucks up his own cannonball with the blunderbuss. It's got that Chuck Jones slapstick charm, but he also looks fucking pissed. Look at the flapping animation from DKC3 when you lay a hit on him. That shows the insanity. Oh, and his badass qualities are up to eleven in DK64, especially with the voice. That, and he comes off as an awesome bond villain.

And who doesn't love his personality complex? I've never seen a villain as versatile as K. Rool. He can be a king, a pirate, a mad scientist, or a heavyweight champion, and it works perfectly for each one.

Now to Jungle Climber. Unlike most DK games, this one is heavy on dialogue and character interactions. Take all the awesome character in relatively dialogue-less games, and add dialogue. Who didn't love the back and forth banter between Dixie and K. Rool in DKC3. In Jungle Climber that's the whole game. He also shows he's no pushover in this game, coming very close to taking over the entire universe. Robotnik conquered Planet Wisp? Fuck that; K. Rool conquered Planet Plantaen!

Here's a Jungle Climber quote that shows K. Rool's character the best:

Oops. Can't bask in my own glory just now. Let's use the Spirowarp to get out of here before they come after us!

This isn't close to my favorite quote from the game, but because too little people played the game, I can't show you more examples from the net. This quote shows the hilariously egotistical nature of K. Rool, which is something that most people forget about K. Rool. We all remember the insanity, the terror, and the offbeat comedy, but everyone forgets about K. Rool the narcissist. He's a really well-rounded villain.

• Thumbs Up 2

Day 19 - Favourite Antagonist -

How about Trouble Bruin from Dynamite Headdy.

Classic rival/bad guy. That character is seriously evil .Jealous of Headdy if I remember rightly, Bruin makes it his mission to upstage Headdy and destroy him in the process. He is relentless, constantly appearing with various contraptions to aid him in his quest of hurting Headdy. His persistance is something he shares in common with Eggman, but Dynamite Headdy felt like a long game at that time, so it makes him seem even more persistant. Also I failed to defeat him, so this adds to his evil mystique/prowess for me (I must get around to having another go someday - never got passed stair wars).

DAY 19 - Favorite Antagonist

So the answer of Dr Eggman is too obvious right? Ok. I'm a bit under the weather, so I'll just go with the first two I think of on my list other than the good doctor.

CUE THE ORCHESTRA.

tumblr_static_zavok.jpg

Zavok. It may still be a Sonic example, but there's really no surprise with this one. You guys know me! XD

This fine Zeti is my faux entry because of his immediate impact. He leads the Deadly Six into battle, and they obviously have earned their title. He initiate the plan to absorb the world, which when you think about it, was much more grave than it would normally sound. A good portion of the world ended up drained before ultimately being restored, which means that many more people were killed than just Amy and Knuckles. So in addition to the havoc he wreaked upon Sonic and the gang, he's killed thousands more off screen in just this one game! He's so hell bent on making Sonic suffer, and he actually manages to get under the hedgehog's fur skin. 

Yes, I realized that Zavok's a rather one dimensional villain at the end of the day. He's just so damn GOOD at his role that I don't really care. Coupled by the fact that he has an awesome voice courteously provided by Travis Willingham, a kickass dragon motif, and an eerily calm demeanour, Zavok is one pretty sweet villain.

However, I did say Zavok was the faux favorite, right?

...CUE THE CHOIR.

AlgSC4cg3.jpg

Algol the Hero King is absolutely brilliant. He was a complete and utter badass for one thing: being able to temporarily wield Soul Edge without being controlled by it, created Soul Calibur itself to counter it, and after being sealed within, was able to construct himself his own body COMPLETE WITH HIS OWN VERSIONS OF SOUL EDGE AND SOUL CALIBUR. He set all of Soul Calibur IV in motion by creating the tower, and all he had to do was wait for the strongest to challenge him. And oh boy, did he put up a fight when you as the player finally reached him.

But wait, it gets better! In Soul Calibur V, he's revealed to be even more of a Manipulative Bastard. While everybody else was scrambling for the swords as per usual, he corrupted the world using the energies of Astral Chaos, hoping to conquer it when everyone was weak. A strategist if I've ever seen one folks.

He's not just a badass though. He's also here  because of how tragic his story is. He used to be a hero. When he used Soul Edge, he ushered in an era of peace and became a very benevolent ruler. He was forced to kill his own son when the latter stole Soul Edge out of envy. He even sacrificed himself to try to counter Soul Edge's evil influence. Yet no matter what he did, he couldn't change the past.

He's a tragic villain, plain and simple.

• Thumbs Up 1

I'm pretty sure I picked Kane on the previous thread because... Who wouldn't pick Kane? He's the most amazing... being in the C&C verse!

Anyway, today's pick is another baddy from an RTS so here we go...

ArcturusMengsk_SC2_Cine1.jpg

Arcturus Mengsk

Arcturus Mengsk had a bit of a tragic life, his young days weren't exactly something he'd have fond memories of and he was raised in the middle of a revolution. His homeworld Korhal IV, led by his father Angus Mengsk claimed independence from the Terran Confederacy and thanks to the backup from some interested parties they got it! Sadly while the people were celebrating their newfound freedom a group of Confederate Ghosts infiltrated the site and murdered the entire Mengsk family... Except for Arcturus who was out of the planet. Once Arcturus came back he got appointed as the new leader of the revolution... But then the Confederacy Nuked the entirety of Korhal IV rendering what was once the jewel of the Terran sector into a ball of dust and death. Needless to say... Arcuturs was pissed.

The time you meet Mengsk you are with Jim Raynor and a group of Confederate refugees who were left to die in the middle of a Zerg (read: horde of alien locusts) invasion, Mengsk offers you a safe evactuation in exchange for your services in the fight against the Confederacy... And since the other option is being grinded alive by the swarm you accept, under Arcturus' leadership you meet a Ghost Operative called Sarah Kerrigan, you uncover a sinister plan by the Confederacy to use devices known as Psi-Emitters to call upon the Zerg so they can destroy entire planets without any blame and you also liberate some other planets and officers who were in as much as peril as you were before Mengsk found you.

After a few battles your group grows strong enough to attack the Confederacy's capital of Tarsonis, putting an end to their reign of terror once and for all...

Huh? You say he doesn't sounds antagonistic at all? Well...

At some point during his crusade against the Confederacy Arcturus forgot about "fighting against the evil guys" and begun to focus more in "gaining power so he could crush them", this change led them to commit some actions that would put him against the Series' heroes.

For starters, those horrible weapons he found in the Confedracy's lab? As soon as he got them he begun to use them repeatedly against the Confederate planets no matter if the planet was a military stronghold of a civilian settlement. The conquest of the Confederate capital was done by the use of these Psi-Emmiters and in what could be considered one of the most suicidal missions ever Sarah Kerrigan and a small base in the area were sent to protect the Zerg Swarm from Protoss (read: mysteriously high-tech aliens) attacks, once the Protoss were done and the Zerg were sent on a rampage the entirety of Mengsk fleet left the zone, leaving Kerrigan and the rest of the colony to die at the claws of the swarm (we'd later know this was a very premeditated action so Mengsk wanted Kerrigan to die on that very same place).

The constant abuse of the Psi-Emitters and Kerrigan's death were the last drop which made Raynor take the decision of taking you (tho your character wouldn't make it too far after the first campaign.... wooops) and as many "sane" mans as he could and leave the newly founded Terran Dominion.

Later you find that Mengsk actions didn't end there, he was very aware of the atrocities he committed so he destroyed every evidence he could find about his use of the Zerg Swarm against the Confederacy. He then launched a massive media campaign to persuade any Terran in the zone to join forces with him in the crusade against the monstrous Zerg (that he used) and the ruthless Protoss (that were mostly following the Zerg). He then would use said media to demonize everyone who opposed him, including Raynor.

He was so consumed by revenge that he couldn't comprehend that others wouldn't want to do the same against him so he went on a relentless hunt and killed every single person who had a tie with the former regime... Or any opposition he could find really.

Due to his paranoia against the Ghosts (thanks to Kerrigan coming back from the dead) he ordered the execution of half of the enlisted members of that unit,

He's also a manipulator, he often lays connection in various (questionable) places, a big chunk of the Terran campaign in the sequel is part of a plan of his to finally kill Kerrigan and during the expansion he attacks you both mentally and with the might of his Dominion.

He would also become so ruthless (or unhinged) that the moment the UED army tries to invade the planet sized Nuclear site known as Korhal IV he figures that since the planet is already wasted he might as well keep going and tries to Nuke the entire of the UED forces (I said tries because you are controlling the UED at this point on the story, so he's most likely to fail). Then when Raynor's Raiders uses his son Valerian as a human shield of sorts he doesn't think it twice and orders to shoot down Jim's fleet with Valerian on it. And as soon as the Zerg starts getting close to his walls he proceeds to blow up entire bases with his men on them with little care so long as he takes down the swarm with them.

But that's mostly story I'd guess, what makes Arcturus such an interesting antagonist (besides being really good looking for this age) is that he is a very good foil to one of the heroes, that being Raynor: Both are mere Humans in the middle of a galaxy wide conflict, both had a very rough past, both fought against the Confederacy, both are very charismatic on their own ways (both have this aura of command and amiably that makes people want to follow them), both have been kicked over and over as if they were the universe's chew toy but still got up and emerged stronger from those setbacks (tho Raynor took a lot of time to get better from the hits he received on the first game)... The only difference might be that at some point Mengsk lost his way and made a lot of questionable decisions who kept increasing in scale as he became emperor (and maybe a bit crazy). 

You could argue if Arcturus is truly evil or just very Templar (and crazy), but there is no doubt he is one of the main antagonists in the Starcraft-verse (third only to the Zerg and Amon (who was actually controlling the Zerg to being with)) and IMO until Amon shows us his hand(s), he is the best of them.

ArcturusMengsk_SC2_Cncpt2.jpg

Arcturus Mengsk. There's a name that is synonymous with terror, betrayal and violence. A living example of the ends justifying the means. The assassin of the Confederacy of Man. The hero of the blasted world of Korhal IV. King of the universe. A savage barbarian who never let anything or anyone get in his way. And yet, he is charming, erudite and intelligent. When you're in his presence you feel that he's really listening to you, that your opinions matter, that you're someone important if you agree with him. It's amazing. I have often wondered if men like Mengsk don't carry around their own reality-warping bubbles, and all who fall in are suddenly transported to another dimension where the hellish things he says and does suddenly make sense. At least, that's the effect he always had on me.

- Michael Liberty

Day 19: Favorite Antagonist:

You think I would pass up an opportunity to talk about this guy?!

63kBeHe.jpg?1

Ain't gonna happen :D

Yes, Dr. Eggman. He's a Scientific genius with an IQ of 300 with humor, charm, and class to boot. His brilliant creations have ranged from outstanding to even cute in design. He is pretty resilient after always bouncing back after each time Sonic thwarts his plans repeatedly.

The Doctor isn't all about doom, gloom, doing and being evil and being heartless. Dr. Eggman is shown to care about others:

http://youtu.be/k-rrDA-dt_w

What impressed me that even amid all that chaos with missiles and lasers firing everywhere and Dr. Eggman running for his life in a very dangerous situation, he was able to tell Orbot and Cubot to flee as the two seemed uncertain what to do (Cubot really couldn't do anything but talk at this point) in the midst of everything going on and panicking. The fact that Dr. Eggman said "We are leaving!" implied to me that he, Orbot and Cubot were a unit or a team, and that they all needed to escape that chaotic scene together as opposed to Dr. Eggman (understandably) fending for himself.

http://youtu.be/Q9B2uRi8zts

Amid all the banter going on between Sonic and Dr. Eggman (what else is new?!), Dr. Eggman is observant and quick enough to save Tails, one of his worst enemies, mind you, from being crushed by one of his own robots. This speaks immense measures about the Doctor's character.

His list of impressive accomplishments is extremely long, including the fact that he caught his nemesis Sonic not once, but TWICE in a span of just 5 minutes via the intro to Sonic Unleashed. The fact that he has maintained his appeal for nearly 23 years without the slightest bit of wavering for the most part during this time speaks measures about how outstanding of a antagonist Dr. Eggman is. It's this balance of his qualities that makes Dr. Eggman both an awesome villain and character.

And the Doctor's humor?! Comedy gold:

http://youtu.be/VvS7ewAkwEA

To further show how well-balanced Dr. Eggman is he efficient in being comical as well :)

I could go on talking about the awesome Doctor, but typing on my phone is a real pain but I am currently forced to do so because of my Internet being out due to the lawn mowers cutting the cable that provides my Internet and cable service while mowing the lawn today. Thank goodness for unlimited data plans...;)

• Thumbs Up 3

Very late on this one but Day 18: Favourite Protagonist

I have plenty of favourite protagonists in games, but frankly I can't really say much about any of them except for Samus Aran maybe. But really Samus mostly holds nostalgic value, like the entire Metroid franchise. I like Pit from Kid Icarus Uprising because of his charisma and that he's willing to take so much punishment to win, and he one of the main reasons Uprising has some of my favourite writing. I like the three characters from PIkmin 3, because they're all pretty likeable because of how unlikeable they are! Alph is a wuss, Captain Charlie is so full of himself and Britanny is a selfish glutton. Its great!

I can name many others. Kirby, Mega Man, and the Pokemon Protagonists.

i hope this counts

and now: Day 19: Favourite Antagonist

Nothing much to say about this either. I really like Eggman. He's one of the few Sonic characters thats actually remained well written over the years. Bowser is a very fun character in the RPGs, and its really great when they actually try to give him character beyond "rawr i are monster". Ganondorf is also pretty great, specifically in Wind Waker. His Wind Waker version reveals his motivation in Ocarina of Time, and in the process makes him much more interesting and sympathetic. His boss fights in general are also epic, and they're always fitting climaxes for Zelda.

Ah ha I knew this would be the next one, good thing I come prepared :)

As mentioned in the favorite protagonist question I'm gonna go with the old doctor eggman himself. Why you ask? BECAUSE HE'S DOCTOR EGGMAN HOW COULD HE NOT BE THE BEST *ahem* just kidding. But seriously though I can't really say what it is I love about eggman myself, whether it be his general wacky attitude, his sometimes not so antagonistic interactions with sonic (who he considers a worthy foe and even makes some things fair for the blue guy on occasion) or maybe its just because he makes some of the best robots in the history of forever (At the expense of some critters).

But I think the thing I like most about eggman is the fact that he's a villain that is enjoyable even in times when he's being evil to the point where I don't even mind if he gets head up over sonic because he's just so darn likeable and not to mention the fact that Mike Pollock is possibly one of the best voice of actors of all time and his legendary voice compliments the good doctor so well and really brings eggmans character really well.

For a none sonic related answer, I'll say bowser but not the normal game bowser, I mean the Mario RPGs' bowser. Unlike his main series counterpart, RPG bowser is just a delight to hear and see whenever he comes up because he can range from being an incredibly big goofball to a cool and brash muscle head who can muscle his way through virtually anything.

Honorable mentions go to:

Jergingha (W101)

Dr. Nefarious (Ratchet and clank)

??? from Phoenix Wright: Dual Destines

20130725_090338_thumb.jpg

This man right here appears in the game as "Detective Fulbright" and helps Prosecutor Blackquill during the game's cases. However, Phoenix realizes in the last case that this man is actually a spy, who has trained himself to show no emotions and killed the original "Detective Fulbright", using his identity for about 7 years.

I never would have guessed that he was the one responsible for killing Athena's mother, killing Apollo's best friend, and putting Blackquill on Death Roll.

He's also one of the hardest culprits to corner, as he'll use his spy gear to destroy evidence, tamper with Athena's psycho analysis, and use masks and change his entire personality, voice, and face to confuse everyone.

If you manage to corner him, you'll be treated to one of the best finales in the series and the best Breakdown of any culprit in the entire game.

Day 19 - Favourite Antagonist

Sigh... you know... I don't know, I'm really tired and really can't think which one is my absolute favourite... so I'm just gonna talk about the ones which stand out.

Major Spoilers for Catherine.

Mutton_1.png

Thomas Mutton

Thomas Mutton is a really cool idea for a boss, he's the boss of the game, he's the one in control, but you don't know that until the end of the game, even though everything he does suggests he's pulling the strings.

And what a boss he is, he's the one that's been putting you through hell this last week, he's the one whose nearly ruined your relationship and future, he's the one whose responsible for killing your friends.

And how do you face him?

By climbing for your life as he tries to shoot you and stomp you when he turns into a giant!

handsomejack.jpg

Handsome Jack

Handsome Jack is a really cool villain in that you don't actually see him until about three quarters of the way through the game, however by that point he's been constantly abusing you, mocking you, and killing your friends. 

In other words.

He acts like a bad guy! He's constantly mocking your victories and mocking your defeats, and he's hilarious.

And when you do find out his plan, you're never quite sure if he's actually the good guy after all since his master plan actually makes a lot of sense! He's a complete psychopath, his master plan is terrible to innocent people, it's totalitarian, a dictatorship, he's a murderer and absolutely barking mad... But my god his plan actually makes sense!

When you hear his plan and his ambition and then look at the games world you think 'Uhhhh, yeah that's actually a really good idea!"

==================

But now... you are about to see... the most dangerous enemy in the history of gaming....

The game is Final Fantasy 7.

Who else is it gonna be!?

FFVII-Chocobo-schwarz.jpg

The Black Chocobo.

You want S-Class racers? You want KOTR Materia? You want Final Attack Materia? Well you'd better be prepared to beat this guy! 

The Black Chocobo was designed to ruin your chocobo racing experience, he seems unstoppable, even with S-Class racers, the black chocobo will come for your soul!

Hmmmmm, this is a tricky one, because while I enjoy villians, well I never overly think of them as such

You know what, I'll go for a comic book character who counts because of the games, I'll go for Onslaught

hqdefault.jpg

Oversized, overpowered, capable of altering reality itself, This being is created of a merge of both the darksides of Magneto and Professor X, the fact that they kept realitively true to his power levels in Marvel Vs Capcom even Worse than most Capcom bosses... other than juggernaut, that wall of insta-death can go into an acid pit.

Ya he isn't the most talkative or complex of the antagonists around, but he can wipe your butt on easy if you aren't properly prepared(or using a dreamcast remote), that's why he goes for one of my favs

boss_metroidprime1.jpg

20080628222330!Dark_Samus.jpg

METROID PRIME/DARK SAMUS

Oh yeah. Not going with an obvious choice today. Nuh-uh.

So Metroid Prime, first introduced in the titular video game, is the evil demon beast that descended upon Tallon IV with the comet that spread Phazon across the land and ruined everything. We see it spoken of in various lore and logs as we go through the game. The Chozo refer to it as "The Worm", and the Space Pirates gave it the name by which we know it. It carries a presence with it throughout the game, and when we finally get to meet it, it's all ready for us to die. Thankfully, Samus readily kicks its ass, but it absorbs her Phazon Suit before it finally keels over.

Then comes Metroid Prime 2.

We hear tales of another meteor crashing onto the planet Aether, bringing with it corruption and desolation and also darkness. Sure enough, Metroid Prime is there as well - but not in the form we once knew. Having taken Samus's Phazon Suit, that is the form it now assumes - and now, some...other traits are starting to show. We see now that Metroid Prime is not just a mindless parasite. Its primary goal is to feed and corrupt, but it shows off a personality of sorts. For one thing, just as well as it takes Samus's form, it seems to target her specifically. Having taken control of the suit, it now has all of Samus's abilities at its disposal, and it uses them all with a vengeance. Despite this, Dark Samus doesn't seem like it's going out of its way simply to kill Samus. In the first cutscene we see it in, they actually have a brief standoff, pointing their guns at each other before the first shot is fired. There's a scene in the game where Dark Samus appears just to laugh in Samus's face before it just...leaves. Yeah. It laughs. We also see the Space Pirates talk of it, confused about this mysterious "Dark Hunter", apparently a separate entity from the Samus they know and love. What's interesting to me is that while it's definitely a presence throughout the game (I'm going to be using that word more than once), it seems to be operating independently from the plot's events. It's just a mysterious and sinister figure that shows up when it wants to, but when it does, it leaves quite an impression. Also, the last time you fight it, it looks like this:

DSessence.jpg

Mmhmm. Gross.

Prime 3 is where things really kick off. After seemingly having been defeated at the end of Prime 2, it just reassembles itself out of Phazon and then sets about to corrupting as many worlds as possible. And better yet, it actually tries to corrupt the bounty hunters themselves. Samus watches as all of her friends are pretty much possessed and then absorbed by Dark Samus's shade.

And then there's the game over screen where Samus actually turns into Dark Samus herself:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tAVX_GaFtXE

It's things like this that I find so interesting about Dark Samus. Dark Samus's entire goal is pretty much universal corruption. It has no real motivation for this that we can see. Its entire character is shrouded in mystery, but we can tell somehow that it has a personality - and possibly even a grudge against the one person who was actually able to defeat it. It's cunning about its ways, and we get the impression that it continues to use Samus's form as an efficient means to an end. Dark Samus is just such a presence, and to me, this all makes it a very memorable antagonist.

OTHER ANTAGONISTS T-MIN REALLY REALLY LOVES

Xehanort/Xemnas/Ansem, Seeker of Darkness - The most grandiose hams of them all, and they're all pretty much the same person. But honestly, I've always loved just how...desperate Xehanort is to get what he wants. The sorts of lengths he'll go to are immeasurable and ridiculous, but also kind of scary. He's just really entertaining all around.

GLaDOS and Eggman - For reasons summarized multiple times throughout this topic.

• Thumbs Up 4