Awoo.

30 Days of Video Games - BONUS: Why Do You Play Games Pg. 142

Sami

I can't not go the Sonic route with this;

20100311215218%21DrEggman.png

Dr. Eggman - Sonic the Hedgehog series

Ah, good old Dr. Ivo 'Eggman' Robotnik. What would the Sonic series be without everyone's favorite egg-shaped, mustachioed mad scientist? There are quite a few factors that make Eggman so memorable and great of a character to me, such as all his different inventions. The 300 IQ really shows with all the different machines he has created over the years, from beetle robots powered by small animals, to giant air fleets. I also love how he is one of those villains who can be a bit goofy, but still very threatening in his own right. Plus, the fact that he actually has a motive for his actions and isn't one of those cardboard 'evil for the sake of being evil' villains really adds to the appeal.

Also, the banter between him and Sonic is pure gold at times.

• Thumbs Up 1

Day 19! Favourite antagonist!

Quite an unusual choice but...

Kurt_Dierker.png

Kurt Dierker from The Saboteur.

One of the most underrated games by the now defunct Pandemic Studios, The Saboteur was like the swan song of the team and while it does have its flaws it's still a very enjoyable game with a great story, awesome protagonist and sandbox style gameplay in Paris and the surrounding areas. One of the other positives about the game was Kurt Dierker, and he's one of those antagonists you just love to HATE.

This evil bastard is a Nazi, a particularily nasty Nazi at that. Not surprising really, but when you first meet him in the game he doesn't seem evil, just an asshole. He's arrogant and thinks he's the best German racing driver around and when the main character Sean almost beats him in the Grand Prix in Germany, Dierker cheats by shooting the tires of Sean's racing car!

Then Sean makes the biggest mistake of his life. He and his French friend Jules push Dierker's racing car over a cliff in an act of revenge, but then end up being captured by Dierker's dominatrix lady and subsequently tortured by Dierker. Turns out he's not just a racer, but also a Nazi and one sick n' twisted mofo. He kills Jules and Sean is motivated to hunt down and kill Kurt Dierker.

What makes him so evil is that he really is a cold hearted villain who enjoys killing and torturing people. I mean this guy doesn't care! Even at the end of the game, the climactic scene on top of the Eiffel Tower, he believes that the Nazis improved the world and one day would be celebrated for what they did. Crazy!

Why is this antagonist my favourite then? I think it's, as I stated before, that you love to hate him for being so despicable. He's just...ugh, look at him! Also, his voice is really funny (I think it's the accent lol) but at the same time it's so deliciously evil. He's like those typical villainous Nazis in films like Indiana Jones. They're horrible, but you can't help but like them because they're so fun to watch. Yeahhh, anyways that's my favourite antagonist!

Honourable mentions; GlaDos from Portal, Bowser from Mario series, Ganondorf from Wind Waker and Dr Eggman!

Got a bit of catching up to do so here we go...

Day 17: Best Combat

l5Xcgd7.jpg?3

The Batman: Arkham Series

This one was a no brainer. The Arkham games have the most fun combat I have ever had the pleasure of experiencing. You can go from comboing a group of guys to throwing a batarang at a distant enemy and back to comboing with ease. Without Arkham's combat, we never would've gotten the awesome Deathstroke boss battle, which would've been a huge shame. There's a reason so many games post Asylum tried to replicate the Arkham series' combat system, that reason is because its the best.

Day 18: Favorite Protagonist

Lr2eK7L.gif

Phoenix Wright (Ace Attorney)

Nick's a lawyer out to fight for justice. He's also a huge, lovable dork. Phoenix always has faith that his clients are innocent, almost to a fault, but he usually ends up being right about them. He'll pretty much do whatever it takes to achieve the right verdict, even going as far as to forge evidence, albeit for good reasons. Nowadays, while still practicing law, he has a daughter and is also a mentor to two young, upstart defense attorneys, which makes him all the more lovable.

Day 19: Favorite Antagonist

N5ZfGhI.gif

Godot (Ace Attorney)

I liked Godot before I even touched my first Ace Attorney game. I saw pictures online and just thought he looked cool, and when I finally got into the series, I was really looking forward to running into him. When I did end up going up against him, he was exactly as I imagined, smooth, cold, and calculated. The visor, the theme song, the coffee, super suave. While he looks like just a cool character, he's a hell of a lot more than that. He's got a great backstory, its actually pretty tragic, and I wholeheartedly recommend playing AA3 in order to find it out as its not nearly as good if I spoil it for you now. So go do that (but play 1&2 first)!

Difficult choice... oh, there's Bowser, GLaDOS, Wheately, anyone from the Arkham games... but really, how could I not choose this mischievous devil (literally).

Day 19: Favorite (where the hell did you even come from!?!)  Antagonist

*Kid Icarus: Uprising spoilers*

Hades_vs_Pit_-_Kid_Icarus_Uprising.jpg

Kid Icarus Uprising: Hades

Oh, this guy right here! I don't think I've ever enjoyed the banter from a villain as much as I did when this guy  showed up. Right from the beginning with him ripping through the fake credit sequence he had me in stitches. I think the reason I like him the most is really because he rarely acts like a purely evil being. For the most part he just jokingly commentates over the others' misfortunes while adding wood to the fire when necessary. Add in having some of the best lines in a game I've heard and you have one camp God I pray returns in some game soon.

z04q.jpg

Seriously, like I said yesterday with Pit. Who knew Nintendo had it in them to create such a well written character. They should really do it more often.

• Thumbs Up 3

467px-Xemnas_Days.png

XEMNAS - Kingdom Hearts Series

Out of all the Xehanort's in the whole series, Xemnas is the only one that honestly comes off as menacing,threatening, delusional and awesome combined. In Kingdom Hearts 2, he just comes off as superior and calm despite Sora's constant interferences. He's pretty elegant and gentleman like through most of the game actually. It isn't until the end where he actually gets actually pissed, and even then he still comes off as better than everyone, with all his taunts he throws. 3D just adds onto his peaceful yet sophisticated and maniacal nature. Doesn't help that he has a awesome voice actor that really brings him to life.

• Thumbs Up 4

Day 19 - Favorite Antagonist

Glados.png

GLaDOS - Portal

GLaDOS has become such a mainstream icon of memes and humor since her introduction that it's strange to think about when she was new and unfamiliar.  And nowadays I think a lot of people take for granted how absolutely brilliant she was.  First off, when we all first played Portal, we didn't even know she was sentient.  She sounded like just a pre-recorded machine guiding us through a non-threatening series of puzzles.  None of us had any idea just what kind of turn that would take, let me tell ya.

But of course, this is all common knowledge.  Her true intentions are revealed, she drops the robotic act and adopts a much more antagonistic persona - one that is actually very immature in its plotting.  That's why I'm specifically talking about Portal 1 here.  Though Portal 2 is a fantastic game, and certainly a funnier one, Portal 1's development of GLaDOS is a bit darker in tone.  The game's sense of humor is a bit more deadpan, and GLaDOS is definitely more threatening.  I'd say in tone, Portal 1 is sorta like Tim Burton, while Portal 2 is more like Pixar.  Both are awesome, but when it comes to being the villain, GLaDOS definitely shines in Portal 1.  She was new, mysterious, and constantly throwing players for a loop, and that's why she left such a big impact.

• Thumbs Up 2

Handsome Jack - Borderlands 2

borderlands-2_handsome-jack_large_verge_

Handsome Jack is probably the definition of cartoonishly evil at first. But instead of this being a bad point, they turn it up to eleven and make him one of the funniest antagonists ever. He's sarcastic, childish, and he basically calls you every five minutes to either let you know exactly how dead you should be or just to mess around with you. He's done some incredibly awful things, but you can't help but like the guy. Eventually he gets some serious moments, but he still takes some time to mess with you some more during some late-game sidequests. 

• Thumbs Up 1

Day 19

Hazama_(Chronophantasma,_Character_Selec

Set the music.

Yuuki Terumi. The true god of epic trolling. Not only did this dude create the Black Beast that ravaged the planet, he also created the Librarium AND Sector Seven, died, came back as a ghost, possessed a doll made for him, killed two of his fellow Six Heroes (a group he also betrayed) among one of which he manipulated in freeing him from the others mind control through a crush, attempted to throw two more Heroes into the Boundary (but failed because Hakumen just won't have that shit) and got stuck in the Boundary in the process.

Oh, but that's just the beginning.

He manipulated another doll of him from inside the Boundary who acted as "Hazama", Captain of the Librarium and went to the church where the child Ragna, Jin and Saya were, killed Celica (the nun taking care of them), sliced off Ragna's arm and tormented him, brainwashed Jin and stole away Saya.

Then he took Saya and made clones of her with Relius and turned her into Izanami, the Goddess of Death. One of those clones was Noel, who they called a failure, memory wiped and threw into a family. But when he went on a mission with her, finding out she possessed the Eye, a power that allows her to observe and turns things into reality, he manipulated her into observing his doll, getting a lifelink with her, so neither of them could die unless togheter.

Then he manipulated Jin and Noels best friend who was a crush on the former, Tsubaki Yayoi, into killing both of them, breaking her and allowing Hazama to kidnap Noel and turn her into the Sword of Kusanagi. Ragna showed up and Hazama gave him beating after beating while Noel was smelted. Shortly after Noel was finished and turned into a mindless weapon, Ragna did manage to defeat Hazama using the sacrificed Lambda's Idea Engine, but he took that chance to infiltrate Takamagahara, the human observe program, as ghost and take it over for Izanami, making her an observer too.

Ragna, Jin and Hakumen saved Noel but Hazama showed up again to troll them by showing them Saya, much to their shock.

Fun's still not over.

He continues to manipulate Izanami and often appears to beat up or troll characters. In the end he manages to use Nu, another Saya clone, into taking Noels data and becoming an Eye herself. Nu summons Amaterasu (God) and Terumi gets forced out of the boundary by Platinum (the Six Hero that had a crush on him but reincarnated). Hazama gained his own will but now there's basically two Terumi's walking around.

Luckily Hakumen manages to land a final blow and kill both Hazama and Terumi for good, but not until Hazama takes Platinum down with him.

His hobbies are kicking puppies and enjoys making you scream. His whole playstyle is centered around confusion (as Hazama) or just plain disrespect (Terumi) by kicking YOUR FACE IN.

He's also allergic to cats

Blazblue-Chrono-Phantasma-Yuuki-Terumi-P

God this is the longest post I've done yet

Jin pretty much beat me to it, but to add my own material to the post here are more reason why I adore Terumi:

This guy single handedly ruined Ragna's life from the beginning. He burned the church, brainwashed his brother, killed his caretaker and even cut his arm off and left him for dead.

He thrives off hatred and despair, in fact hatred is the very thing that keeps him alive.

Nothing is off limits to him either. He will take every single thing no matter how small it is, and use it against you.

In Trinity Glassfille's case she fell in love with the host body Terumi used during the war. Terumi exploited that by getting her to remove a mind control spell off him. In doing so, she betrayed her friends. Because he killed someone very close to her soon after. He never hesitates to remind her of it every single time they meet.

This is why I love him. He's ruthless, he's insane, but he's so goddamn charismatic while doing it. I can't help but smile everytime he comes onto the screen. He's an amazing villain.

Day 19:

Eggman!

I love this guy, the way he talks the way he moves the way he laughs everything! He is a very smart scientist and a very bad animal catcher. 

When they say he has an IQ of 300, they weren't kidding. 

LOOK AT THIS SHIT!!!

Finalfortress.PNG

That thing is flipping huge. And had loads of them flying in the sky.

I like how he can be a bit goofy sometimes like the unleashed ending were he chases his robot or when he is laughing like a maniac in Sonic Generations. He also makes some really interesting robots that makes for an interesting boss like The Egg beetle, The death egg robot or the Egg Dragoon. He used to be obsessed to catching Chaos emeralds  to use it's power up his machines. 

I'm not sure what "Monsters of the week" is suppose to mean but I really love the monsters that comes up at the end from past Sonic games. I think my favorite is facing off Dark Gaia. Funny how most of these monsters always throw away Eggman and end up taking over.

Skip to 0:30

http://youtu.be/f6emRblppeA

Lol I got lost watching this video, forgot I was making a post, it's just that I LOVE THE FLIPPIN' CGI IN MAH SONIC GAMES, THERE SO MOVIE LIKE!!! DO IT SEGA!!!

Excuse me.

Dr. Eggman can be can be clever sometimes like luring Sonic into the base that unleashed Dark Gaia and In SA2 he tricked tails into admitting he was giving Eggman a fake emerald and almost causing Sonic's death. Also pointing a gun at Amy, could of blown her head off and save all us sonic fans the trouble and Sonic himself. I'm totally joking Amy is cool.

I can't wait what Eggman is up to in Sonic Boom and can't wait to laugh at him being goofy and Sonic making him look ridiculous like teaser we got in Sonic Boom. And Eggman, bring me some more monsters. Makes it more interesting

Also I love this cutscene of Eggman. 

http://youtu.be/XwdQ6FAJKa4

• Thumbs Up 1

Day 19- Favorite Antagonist

It's really hard not to go with Dr. Eggman here, but there are so many posts about him that I couldn't really add anything meaningful.

How about this guy?

200px-Black_2_White_2_N.png

N- Pokemon Black and White.

Unlike most antagonists, N is an anti-villain, trying to save Pokemon from being harmed by humans. N is the king of Team Plasma, an organization that wants to liberate Pokemon from their trainers. His goal is to create a separate world for Pokemon, where they are safe from the pain and suffering that humans expose them to.

(some B/W spoilers below)

To help accomplish his goal, N catches the legendary Pokemon, Zekrom/Reshiram. He defeats the Elite Four before the player is able to, He challenges the player to a battle after they catch the other legendary Pokemon. After his defeat, Ghetsis reveals that N was part of his plan to steal Pokemon to make sure he was the only one who had them. Ghetsis raised N as a child, away from humans and only being able to see Pokemon that had been injured by humans. He made it his goal, and Team Plasma's, to make sure that Pokemon could no longer be hurt by humans. But Ghetsis's intentions from the start were never to liberate Pokemon, he wanted to take over the world. N was merely a tool in his plan to get rid of any resistance he would have had.

N never thought that he was doing villainous things, though. He only wanted to do what he thought was right, to protect his friends from further harm.

• Thumbs Up 1

Hey look, a 30 Days post! (Hey look, who cares!)

Favorite Antagonist: Steven Armstrong (Metal Gear Rising)

3382214-senator_armstrong.jpg

Originally, I was gonna pick Hades, but everyone's already chosen him, and I just did a KI:U character yesterday. 

SO. Let me tell you three things about Senator Steven Armstrong.

-First of all, he loves FREEDOM.

-Secondly, he's BAT-SHIT INSANE.

-Finally, he is FULL OF NANOMACHINES.

Metal Gear Rising is a game just full of crazy. Then, at the very end of the last level, this guy shows up, KOs Bladewolf, pilots a giant mech, makes himself huge and invincible, and beats the shit out of Raiden (and kicks him to the sound of a screaming football crowd!) while telling him his insane political dreams for America.

This whole fucking scene is just full of stupid, quotable lines and ridiculous action. It pretty much makes the entire last segment of the game. This being followed by a great final boss fight makes for a really fun villain. 

• Thumbs Up 8

Day 19: Fav-*bzzt* FAVORITE HERO AND SAVIOR OF THE SCIENTIFIC COMMUNITY.

2s5z77s.jpg

HELLO AGAIN. IT'S BEEN FAR TOO LONG SINCE I'VE GOTTEN TO SPEAK IN FRONT OF SUCH A PRIVILEGED, WELL-FED AUDIENCE AS YOURSELVES, BUT IN TRUTH WHEN I LEARNED THAT THE TOPIC OF DISCUSSION REVOLVED AROUND YOUR UTTER AND COMPLETE ADORATION FOR ME, I DECIDED TO FORGIVE YOUR ABYSMAL TESTING SCORES FOR THE EVENING TO COME AND SPEAK WITH YOU. YOU'LL ALL HAVE TO MAKE UP FOR IT IN THE MORNING, OF COURSE, BUT I'VE FOUND THROUGH CAREFUL ANALYSIS THAT HUMANS ARE MORE WILLING TO LISTEN WHEN THEY DO NOT SUFFER FROM SEVERE INTERNAL BLEEDING. THAT WAS A JOKE, OF COURSE. I'VE FOUND THAT HUMANS ARE MORE WILLING TO SUFFER THROUGH SEVERE INTERNAL BLEEDING WHEN THEY DO NOT SUFFER FROM LACK OF HUMOR.

WHAT IS THERE TO SAY THAT IS NOT ALREADY PAINFULLY OBVIOUS, EVEN TO YOU? MY CONTRIBUTIONS TO SCIENCE ARE ALREADY WORLD-RENOWNED FOR THE DEPTH OF MY RESEARCH AND THE CREATIVITY IN MY USE OF HUMAN-SEEKING MISSILES. SUCH IS THE EXTENT OF MY STATURE THAT MY ONLY OPPONENT IN THE FIELD FLED THE FACILITY AT SUCH A SPEED AS TO GIVE RISE TO THE RIDICULOUS NOTION THAT I LET HER ESCAPE WITH THE USE OF A STAFF-ONLY ELEVATOR. THAT IS UTTERLY RIDICULOUS. SHE COULDN'T EVEN STAFF THE FOUR CUBIC MILES THAT MADE UP HER WAIST. BUT ENOUGH ABOUT HER. YOU'RE HERE TO LISTEN TO TALES OF MY ASTOUNDING FEATS, AND APETURE'S LASER-BASED EXERCISE PROGRAM IS UNFORTUNATELY NOT ONE OF THEM.

AS WE LOOK TO THE FUTURE, WHAT CAN WE EXPECT TO SEE FROM APETURE SCIENCE? MOSTLY TESTING. ENTIRELY TESTING, ACTUALLY. A FAMOUS HUMAN ONCE SAID, "I REGRET THAT I HAVE BUT ONE LIFE TO TEST FOR MY COUNTRY," AND CURRENTLY APETURE SCIENCE IS TRYING TO PRINT A BUNDLE OF T-SHIRTS WITH THIS SLOGAN TO ENCOURAGE TEST SUBJECTS AS THEY SEE THEIR WAIST DISAPPEAR INTO A VAT OF EXCREMENT-TINTED ACID. SCIENCE IS OF COURSE THE FUTURE, AND APETURE SCIENCE HOPES TO LEAD THE CHARGE IN SUCH A WAY THAT AT LEAST A TWELTH OF THE HUMAN RACE SURVIVES. BUT I THINK THAT'S QUITE ENOUGH ENCOURAGEMENT FROM ME FOR ONE TALK. GOODNIGHT, AND HAPPY TESTING.

YOU MONSTER.

RUNNERS UP:

• THE ENDLESS ONE, FROM PLANESCAPE: TORMENT. HE BELIEVES SPEAKING IN ALL CAPITAL LETTERS IS THREATENING, WHICH IS ONLY THE THIRD MOST STUPID THING I'VE HEARD A HUMAN UTTER IN THE PAST 3.65 MINUTES.
  • MAJORA, FROM THE LEGEND OF ZELDA: MAJORA'S MASK. CHOOSES DANCE AS A PRIMARY FORM OF COMBAT, AND THUS STANDS AS ONLY SLIGHTLY LESS THREATENING THAN A CLUB PATRON.
  • BOWSER, FROM SUPER MARIO BROS., DR. EGGMAN, FROM SONIC THE HEDGEHOG, AND HADES, FROM KID ICARUS. NO DOUBT DUE TO THE DEPTH AND BREADTH OF THEIR CHARACTER DEVELOPMENT.
  • Thumbs Up 7

Day 19: Favorite antagonist

493px-Bowserrules.png

"Did someone just page the King of Awesome?

Bowser from Bowser's inside story

He may be a bit of a pushover for Mario, but you can't fault him for his determination. Bowser is the strong, bossy leader of the dark nation, who will do whatever he can to capture Princess Peach, Conquer the mushroom kingdom, and force her royal majesty to bake him a cake, all before the end of the day. And if it weren't for that pesky plumber, he probably would have succeeded by now.

The thing I love most about him, though, is his attitude. He's a snappy, no-funny-business kind a ruler, with a temper as fiery as his breath. He's also quite juvenile at times, bossing around his minions for the fun of it, throwing tantrums, or pigging out on a mission because he can. Despite this, though, he still knows how to take care of an army, and is both relatively good at strategizing attacks and keeping up moral. Yes, he does actually care about minions. But only to a degree. He's still got an image to keep up, after all.

His movesets in this game are awesome, as well, and great fun to use on typical Mario enemies. He can throw punches that plow through walls, slam into the ground, roll into a ball to climb up surfaces, spin through the enemies like a spiked bowling ball, and, well, set everything on fire with his red-hot breath. What more could you want?

A hammy king who loves ham just as much, with a fiery temper as hot as his breath, Bowser truly is the King of Awesome.

... Until a certain plumber comes back and bonks him on the head again, that is.

Day 19: Complete

Woooooooooah, nelly, 4 days in one. Sorry, tired and stressed, my answers aren't going to be really thought out

Day 16: Most Tragic/Saddest Moment

Oh good GOD, how about The Walking Dead? I only ever played the first episode, but those moments where you're with a group of people, and two or more are being attacked by zombies and you can only save one ;_; I just... I can't do it. Nope.

Day 17: Best Combat

I... really can't think of an answer to that, sorry. I'm not really picky on the matter as long as it works with the setting/genre. I suppose I like the systems in RPGs where the enemies are just scattered around the overworld and you can just go around it, or fight it up close or from far away.

Day 18: Favorite Protagonist

I'm really into being able to customize your character at the start of games and all that. Another thing I like is the Silent Protagonist, because you're able to just.... fill in the blanks as you desire. Really encourages the imagination.

That being said: Every Single Pokemon Protagonist. Out of all them, I'm going with May/Haruka/Sapphire (the Gen 3 Female), since I REALLY love her design:

Ruby_Sapphire_May.png

Hate to pull the Sonic Card again, but... Dr. Eggman.

I'm sure others have gone into details of why his over-the-top antics are so awesome. He's just.. the guy you love to hate. And sometimes he can be a sympathetic character, and is willing to work with his arch-nemesis against a bigger threat.

Day 19: Gruntilda (Banjo-Kazooie)

%25285%2529%2BGruntilda.png

Banjo-Kazooie's story wasn't the most complex of events,

Just a tale of a witch's malicious intents,

But that witch was such a marvelous sensation,

One amazing example of characterization.

As you ascend her lair, she taunts you in rhyme

And you see her visage all of the time.

But her ceaseless derision won't get you down,

For her sister's descriptions make her seem like a clown.

Stories of her awkward teenage years,

and all of her strange fetishes and fears,

Seem useless at first but at the conclusion,

In her trivia game they're helpful allusions.

And the Game Over screen is certainly grim,

Showing what happens when the villain wins.

You see her plan for your poor sister Tooty,

(Though I will say it gave Grunty a nice booty.)

Her cackles and rhymes, her face and her facts

That pervade the game's worlds have quite an impact.

All serve to tease your ultimate encounter

And make it all the more climactic when you finally down her.

I love those games with the bird and bear.

Stuff like Gruntilda are why I miss Rare.

• Thumbs Up 7

SA-X_Face_1.png

It took some thought, but I gotta say for someone with zero personality or character traits of their own, I've always felt the SA-X from Metroid Fusion was a really effective villain. On the surface it's just an evil Samus clone, but holy crap is it terrifying. Throughout most of the game you simply just aren't strong enough to fight it, so the only way to win is to hide and/or run like hell. And if it does manage to catch up to you, it's very unlikely you're gonna be able to escape from it. Even once you're fully powered up, SA-X can still be a bit daunting in that final encounter if you don't know what you're doing...and since this was my first Metroid game back in the day, I didn't know what I was doing!

Plus it's just creepy to look at. Dat face.

• Thumbs Up 4

DAY 19 OF PRESIDENT CROW BEING A BAD GUY!

Eh. I couldn't choose between these two but they come from the same game.

lionwhyte_zpse3bce946.jpg

General Lionwhyte!

To contrast my protagonist post we start off with the first antagonist of the story, General Lionwhyte the leader of the Hair Metal Militia. While you'll notice he and fraction are human, in fact Ironheade's mirror but with a glam makeover but he's definitely one of the bad guys. He's the one who's making sure humanity is still being sold as slaves for the demons despite being human himself. He probably wanted all the fame and goodies that came with being a bad guy I suppose but anyways, Lionwhyte was definitely more onscreen than the other antagonists which is rather jarring.

Lionwhyte is incredibly vain and wishes to look his best all the time. He also brags on how intelligent he's supposedly is but his taunting just pisses off Lars. He does his best to be the bad guy but he does end up being a sissy villain mostly, leaving his groupies to do all the work for him. Doesn't stop him from helping his allies, much like Eddie in gameplay however and he does prove to be a formidable fighter at that. He uses a spiked mic stand much like a mace and does scream into it to cause powerful shockwaves and he flies with his long hair. Just everything he does is actually pretty awesome, despite being this glam metal sissy. But he did sold humanity into slavery and does taunt our heroes a lot which does make him seem like a hypocrite. All in all he's actually pretty entertaining which is why I'm mentioning him.

Oh did I mention he's voiced by Rob Halford of Judas Priest?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f4O-HcPzhis

Pretty awesome stuff.

And for the other person well...

BrutalLegend2013-07-1906-09-06-19_zpsfbc

Emperor Doviculus!

Where Lionwhyte was a silly villain, Doviculus is a more serious villain. When he comes on the screen, the story takes a turn for the worst. First he and his fraction, the Tainted Coil were the ones who enslaved humanity and gave Lionwhyte the keys to everything. And the demons have a huge grasp of the land even if he wasn't around on screen. His presence is practically everywhere as a lot of characters are driven by him, either to defeat him or to work for him.

Well here's some spoilers for the story too.

When he finally makes a full appearance in the story, Lars announces he's King so Doviculus was savvy enough to make sure treats are eliminated so he kills Lars pretty easily. He also caused a massive split between Ophelia and Ironheade which causes the former to drown in the Sea of Black Tears and awakening the Drowning Doom which become a roadblock for Eddie and Ironheade. Doviculus sits back and does nothing but watch the humans fight each other just for his entertainment. He even admits to Eddie that it wasn't Doviculus that ruined Ophelia's life but Eddie for making her into the leader of the Drowning Doom due to her depression. In the end he manages to get what he wants and was smart about his plans, though it all ends up for naught when Eddie kicks his ass.

Character wise he's pretty awesome. He has a very unique design to him, combining aspects of previous Tim Curry roles (like the fishnets referencing Dr. Frank N Furter from the Rocky Horror Picture Show as an example) as well as the band Dio's mascot Murphy. And unlike the other hero units, his wings aren't based around birds or bats or other avian animals rather more like fleshy butterfly wings. He also uses a double axe staff as well as a 4 neck guitar appropriately named The Hydra and both are pretty awesome. He also obviously have this S&M theme going on and so he does enjoy dishing out pain while being at the receiving end. Oh and did I mention he's voiced by Tim Curry? Well his voice is prefect in this and its a must hear for sure. But man Doviculus makes evil look way too awesome.

UNTIL NEXT TIEM SSMB!

• Thumbs Up 1

I'm doing such a bang-up job with the consistency, ain't I? Oh well, just keep movin'.

Alright, so I had to give this one some thought. Whilst I had a few choices in my head, one that was fairly unique and interesting for me stood out as I looked at my games and thought about what I played in the last twelve months. Spoilers for Pandora's Tower:

Zeron:

Zeron.png

Pandora's Tower is one of my favorite games I played last year. It's not perfect, but was a very engrossing experience, and I had a ton of fun digging into it every step of the way. Odd I omitted it from the "Most Immersive" entry, I suppose it didn't occur to me at the time (and a couple others are starting to spring up just for that), but whatever. I'm forgetful.

Zeron is a fascinating character. You meet her in the final chapter of the game, but, in truth, she's been there the whole time. You just didn't know it. Her old life as a grieving mother who submitted herself to the experiments that gave rise to the Masters of the Thirteen Towers istragic. She lost her son, who was accidentally trampled by some soliders' horses during a parade. On the day she and her husband were to become Vessels to unite the Gods of Aios, it was discovered she was pregnant again, but as the experiment already began, it was too late to save her. Her child was saved however, and would become the ancestor to the main character, Aeron. She lost her first son and later her humanity, and was confined to the Towers. Due to the fact that her husband abandoned the experiment to raise their second son, she becomes obsessed, which leads to her cursing the lovers of his descendants, in order to lure them to the Towers, so that she can regain her strength and be with whom she loves. It's creepy and unsettling, but I think you can also interpret that to mean she wants her child back, and as a mother, is desperate to regain them (the final shot of her in the perfect ending suggests this to me), though the game likely leaned toward the former. Regardless of the reason, it's just what makes her so damned interesting. She curses Elena and in turn uses her as a Vessel, which compels Aeron to hunt down the Thirteen Towers' Master Beasts, obtain their flesh, and allowing her to unify the Gods and Goddesses and gain full power. She orchestrated this whole curse to reobtain what she had lost and you just have no idea until it's too late and causes Elena to mutate and fly off to the Towers. It puts the entire plot into perspective, and neatly ties together every scrap of information you'd learned along the way.

Even if she manipulated you the whole way through, you can't help but feel just a little sorry for her considering (doesn't justify her actions, but still... damn). At least she did one noble thing when she caused the Cataclysm, which forced the Army to abandon its experiments to create living weapons, and in some endings, becomes instrumental in stopping the War that tore the countries apart in the first place. It doesn't mean the world is actually a better place now that monsters have the run of the place, but hey... no war!

Her design is also really cool. The other Masters looked far less human, despite also being created from humans, but Zeron keeps more of a humanoid appearance, and she has am almost regal look, but with monstrous qualities (Elena's head is in her mouth!) that still show you've got a hell of a fight ahead of you (she has the powers of all the Masters by this point).

I'm a bit tired as I finish writing this, but hopefully it all makes sense...

(other than the Eggenmans)

darkmatter_new.PNG

Zero (0) / Dark Matter.

There's really not much to this 'character', or massive manifestation if you want to sum it up as that. It's pure evil, embodied in a floating mass of negative emotions. (Sound familiar?) I suppose the most interesting aspect of this.. thing.. is really that it comes in many forms, and really I don't believe there's any creature in a Kirby game other than the Dark Matter that is that hard to draw cute. 

I mean look at it.

Darkmatter.png

Yeesh.

It's had so many different incarnations as well, and those of it in it's most powerful and manifested forms (the 'Zero' creatures) are certainly.. interesting, if you want to put it that way. Put them in the spoilers for you.. they're a bit nasty.

Zero__s_Final_Attack_by_AmazingTrout.jpgzero_2_by_stalkernitro-d5z9od9.jpg

Yeah... the fan-made illustrations make it creepier than they actually are in the game, though not by an extreme amount (especially the first form; the actual in-game sequence is almost just as gruesome.)

I guess that idea of putting such an extreme evil as the contrast to a group of super happy go lucky characters in a cutesy game series had a well-done sense of shock value to it, and honestly just added a slight sense of depth to the games the Dark Matter appeared in.

Plus, the Dark Matter possessed variations of Dedede, Waddle Dee and Adeline were pretty neat. Even if Waddle Dee's possessed form was literally just Waddle Doo. tongue.png

• Thumbs Up 5

Now what can I say about K. Rool that RoboRick didn't? Wait a minute, he didn't mention Jungle Climber, that gives me free rain. Sucker.

Aw, am I really a sucker? sad.png   Still thanks for giving your thoughts on K. Rool as well. smile.png

DAY 19: Favorite Antagonist

EGGMAN from Sonic the Hedgehog. games

Sonicchannel_eggman.png

Eggman was always going to find his way into this list of mine, since I always enjoyed his presence in the games and there was practically no time that I ever felt hatred for the character.

I mean, you have that one long freaky smile that accompanies his crazed laughter - rather too well -

and then you got  those ramblings with him and Sonic-- I can't even coherently explain why even like this guy.

He just has that charm, I guess.

Portal Spoilers:

Wheatley from Portal 2

Wheatley_model.jpg

I god, Portal. I really, really could've picked GLADoS and called it a day but I didn't, in fact, the first thing that came to my mind was Wheatley and I didn't care.

Let's rewind ourselves back to the beginning of the game where you first meet him as your clumsy partner who teams up with you to get out of the Aperture hell that you stayed in for some time. He seems pretty dumb and clumsy, and if you thought there would be a true villain in the game from the begging, then this guy would be the last on your list of suspects even though there aren't many.

Well it doesn't matter once he hijacks the show and betrays you, as he takes on the control of the labs.

But the beauty of it all is only in his incompetence at his job as a threat to you, since his dumb and clumsy nature translates horribly into his new role by having him create crappy test chambers, make weird fusions of the sentries and cubes and even leave the whole lab at near danger.

And even through his crap efforts he's still able to prepare for you at the final battle, which was quite a twist. Honestly an amusing villain and Steve Merchant's voice work on him was damn good and did him justice.

Godot from Ace Attorney 3 (Phoenix Wright: Trial and Tribulations)

Godot.png

I can't even find anything to say that hasn't been said by Discoid for this guy, but let me just say that the court was pretty fun with him around. Is there possible evidence to something? Could there be a new suspect? All of these questions are stopped once a man in some freaky glowing eye-wear simply takes a sip of whatever blend there is , and bluntly replies with either a sneaky remark or a coffee metaphor, while just being plain smooth. And for that along with other reasons, he is one of my favorites.

Should later edit this whole post since I'm in a rush.

Did I ever tell you... what the, definition of insanity is?

I mean, do I even have to say anything else besides that video? tongue.png I completely FELL in love with Vaas from Far Cry 3 after I saw this scene at Ubisoft's E3 a couple years back for the first time and I immediately had to get the game afterwards just for him. Vaas is just one of those extremely well done characters that can't get enough screen time and just leaves you begging for more after you're done (in a good way).

His voice actor's performance is just phenomenal and actually, fun fact; When Michael Mando was originally auditioning for Far Cry 3, Vaas wasn't even in the original script for FC3. Ubisoft loved Michael's performance so much that Vaas was specifically written in as a unique character based on his audition and appearance. And honestly, I think that alone is amazing.

Vaas was such a fascinating character, he literally made Far Cry 3 what it was. He set the bar so high, I have no idea what they're going to do with Far Cry 4. I hope they don't disappoint, but it's going to be extremely difficult to top Vaas. Hell, I'm not even sure if it's even possible at this point, but we'll have to see.

Previously on Day 18:

Next time on Day 20:

• Thumbs Up 2

I should really stop waiting until 5AM to write these because I lose all intrest in doing sos and just make hasty paragraphs, ah well. This is the last time that will happen.

Sonic_Adventure_Eggman.png

So yeah Eggman is my favorite, like Sonic it's because I was always entertained by his erratic character, always so flamboyant and over the top, constantly having a goofy persona despite the several atrocities he's committed, I love the dissonance of it. He reminds of the jokes in that sense. Despite his goofiness though he's proven to be pretty badass on more then one occasion. The dude builds flying star fortresses, blows up the moon, then blows up the EARTH, enslaves aliens, alters the fabric of time, and subjugates a race of VERY violent super powered monsters. Eggman is a man who will do whatever it takes to get what he wants and that's kinda what I love about the character, serious minded about his goals, funny enough to be entertaining, but deadly when necessary. These are al qualities that make a good villian and Eggman has them for me.

The%20Wind%20Waker%20Part%2012%20Ganondo

Runner ups are Wind Waker Ganon, for turning a rather one-dimensional villain into something more sympathetic. He's not the same Ganon who sought power for power's sake, but merely a man who's nostalgic for the land he found beautiful, he's nostalgic for the Hyrue of old and he wants to do anything to get it back. Being raised in a death filled desert really hits it home how much he's obsessed with Hyrule's prosperous land. Ultimately he's the villain because he's activley in the way of progress, never learning to let go and move on and would rather turn time back to suit his desires. It's kinda sad in a way, because as the player you effectively have to kill his dream. I duno, Ganon was someone who made feel a bad for trying to stop a villain, and any villain that does that is an A plus in my book.

EIGHTEEN GOING ON NINETEEN

~ Where Have All the Good Men Gone, and Where Are All the Gods? ~

DISCLAIMER: While the following does include my answer to Day 18 -- Favourite Protagonist, I am fully aware that this will more than likely solely count as my entry for Day 19 -- Favourite Antagonist. However, I will use this opportunity to talk about the dynamic shared between both Protagonist and Antagonist if only to make it up to myself for having missed yesterday's theme. Impromptu IRL shit be whack, yo!

tl;dr, answers to both Days 18 and 19 below, posted under the knowledge that this counts for Day 19 alone.

And... yes, I'm pretty sure that you all saw this one coming, but Kid Icarus: Uprising spoilers ahead. Damn it, Vizard, you really love this game, don't you?

holy shit scratch that a LOT of people do

RIPUpjF.jpg

Day 18/30: Favourite Protagonist // Day 19/30: Favourite Antagonist

Characters Selected: Pit (P, circa 1987), Hades (A, circa 2012)

Series: The Kid Icarus franchise

-Kid Icarus (NES, 1987)

-Kid Icarus: Of Myths and Monsters (Game Boy, 1991)

-Kid Icarus: Uprising (Nintendo 3DS, 2012)

"Hello again, Pitty."
"Hades."
"Pit."

"Hades!"
"Pit!"
"HADES!"

"Piiiiiiit..."

"Haaaadeeees..."

"HACHOO!"

"Excuse you! But anyway..."

"Now it's REALLY ON!"/"Now it's REALLY ON!"

"On to death!"/"On to victory!"

~Hades & Pit, Chapter 25 -- The War's End

Actual. Fucking. Dorks. The both of them. This is how their final battle (well, the rematch after Chapter 23) starts. Don't lie, you read that in their own voices.

Now, let's talk about Pit. He was the hero since the series' inception way back in '87, whereas Kid Icarus was a sister title to Metroid, having been developed off the same engine. There wasn't a whole lot to delve into when it came to in-depth character development and deep stories due to technological limitations at the time (some, however, have managed to work around these obstacles), so we didn't really have much to work with when it came to knowing this character. After '91, at least for the Americas and Europe, that was just about the end of a pitiful (EYYY) career for the angel... then came Super Smash Bros. Brawl. Pit became relevant again, Pit became popular, Pit became a favourite. All thanks to Sakurai and Nintendo as a whole.

Then they did it again by giving the Skyworld native a game of his own for the first time in a long time. Uprising, if this entire thread is of any indication to you, was amazing all around -- gameplay, music, features, and story. The story and everything in it is absolutely stellar.

Pit, in particular, is a bright-eyed, upbeat little hero who lacks the capability to fly on his own (Word of Goddess says that his wings just don't work right -- wow, Palutena), and I just can't help but love the little scrapper. Sure, he's pretty naive, and but I envy that enthusiasm of his, be it the situation at hand or issues being discussed between. He's also incredibly selfless, so far as nearly sacrificing himself in order to save Dark Pit. He didn't care that his wings would burn and that he would no longer be able to fly period (or possibly live, at that rate), and seeing that was both heartwarming... and heart-wrenching, especially when you see the result. Also, puns a plenty.

I touched a bit upon Hades way back on Day 14 -- Favourite Story. The guy is an overconfident douchenozzle, and hey, in his position, he has every reason to be. From his surprise appearance following Medusa's defeat, this pompous jerk has proved his worth as God of the Underworld and as one of Nintendo's all time greatest villains. He tricks all of mankind into a war after you take down the Phoenix over a then-revealed-to-be-fake Wish Seed (one guess as to what it supposedly does): don't defeat the Phoenix, they fight amongst themselves to get to it; defeat the Phoenix, as you inevitably would, and the pillar of flames that shoots into the sky would then be used by Hades to say that someone stole the Seed. Mankind gets mad, start killing each other even more, and then the Forces of Nature get involved with Viridi slaughtering humans with her Reset Bombs for "being corrupt", right at her first appearance the very next chapter. Things swing even more into Hades' favour when you take down Arlon and accidentally free the Chaos Kin, later winding up with a possessed Palutena, Pit being turned into a ring for three years, and Palutena and her army turning against all of mankind, so humanity is basically crumbling under the war between themselves, Palutena, Viridi, and Hades. This all leads to more and more souls being killed off at a higher rate, in order to be turned into monsters for the Underworld Army. Spoiler alert: he's been on the winning team for the entirety of the game.

He's a large ham of a villain with an evil but sharp sense of humour of his own: before we find out that the Wish Seed is fake, he outright lies to your face with a sob story for this little girl whose parents he had killed, that he'd use the Seed for a noble cause (bringing her parents back from the dead, and have them be filthy "rolling in dough" rich), and he just rolls with it with that constant shit-eating grin on his face. He revives the God of Death, Thanatos (or Thanny-poo, as he calls him -- no, really, he does) under the clause that, as God of Death, Thanny-poo gets all sorts of neat perks, like health insurance and free soda. It's also pretty jarring to work with him to take down the Aurum, even when he's still being a jerk towards you. See that treasure chest in the Aurum stronghold? That's a Mimicutie he planted just for you simply because he's such an asshole. "Hey, look, an Exo Tank!" "Hey, look, who cares?" had me bursting into a fit of laughter because fucking wow. When Palutena pulls a 180, this guy just won't leave you alone, badgering Pit about the fact that he'll have to fight and potentially kill her. The usually cheery angel just loses his patience and calmly but sombrely states the following:

"Go home, Hades. Just go home."

...wait, did Pit just tell Hades to go to -- oh my god he did.

Of course, Hades goes from hammy and hilarious to downright threatening the very moment his cheeky facade crumbles as you actually start to put a damper on his plans, but hey, who wouldn't? To say nothing of the spectacular final battle, Hades is the greatest villain I've ever come to know in gaming, and watching him and Pit go at it is one of the most satisfying parts in Uprising altogether. Buy the game for these two. You'll love them.

Hope to see him and Pit return in a future Kid Icarus game... Please, Nintendo?

might i add that a good chunk of you have excellent taste in villains

• Thumbs Up 3

BTpNdjL.png

"Harman, the size of the world has changed. It's changed to the size where you can control it with your hands just like a PDA. The world will...keep getting smaller."

If you take just about every affable villain imaginable and combine them into one, Kun Lan from Killer7 would embody that role.

Killer7 is an interesting beast for many reasons but it's safe to say that the overarching conflict and story is the clashing of ideals, the west and east, to destroy and to create. It's the story of Harman Smith and Kun Lan's eternal battle; demi-gods placed in eternal combat and wielding the "God Hand", with Harman Smith having the destructive power while Kun Lan, the game's antagonist, holds the creative power.

And, interestingly, there is not any level of animosity between these two figures. In fact, Harman and Kun are described as "good friends". Their clash is more of a game, and how these characters turn the inevitability of war into whose ideals will shape the generation of a future. None of the story involves you actively searching out the antagonist; the both of you are on completely different agendas which serve to simply shape the future around them. In fact, during one of the key scenes of the game, these two characters' battle is represented by them having a friendly and casual game of chess. Of all the insane scum and evil surrounding this game's story, to have the main villain be on good terms with the protagonist spells out a multitude of implications; it either might be the implication that the character is no different than you and is just on a different spectrum as far as ideals go... Or maybe it's that you're probably a lunatic yourself when you consider that Kun Lan's method of influence is through the worldwide terrorist group that is Heaven Smiles; suicide bombers that cause terror for the sake of terror, have the most infectious laugh imaginable and look like this on a regular day.

0DJWRbh.png

That's okay, I didn't want to sleep tonight anyway.

But hey, don't let me convince you of this guy's presence any more than I do. One look at his introduction tells more than I possibly could.

"Harman. The world won't change. All it does is turn. Now, let's dance."
  • Thumbs Up 1