Awoo.

30 Days of Video Games - BONUS: Why Do You Play Games Pg. 142

Sami

Day 21 - Most Memorable Unlockable

20111115152246!Super_sonic_unleashed.jpg

I hate to say it but deep in my heart I know it's true. Yes I... l-like Sonic...

Super Sonic's just fantastic (and of course I do mean in games where he's playable in-level. I just used a picture from Unleashed cause he looks cool..!) Permanent invincibility and super speed are a great reward for gathering the chaos emeralds, which isn't even mandatory so when you actually do it you get a nice sense of "hey! I didn't waste my time!" Certainly in some games permanent invincibility would be no fun, but adding in the ring mechanic helps keep things interesting because even if you're ignoring enemies now you still have to keep track of grabbing more rings. His slipperiness even makes some platforming a little trickier so it never actually feels like the game's turned effortless. Of course none of that really stops bosses from being pushovers, but breezing through them is well deserved.

Even in games where he's only "unlockable" in the sense that you have to beat the main story(ies) for the one chance to play as him, I think he's an absolute blast. Powering up to beat the big bad is just exciting!

Some honorable mentions:

- Pokemon, which doesn't usually impress with its endgame unlockables, does have a few gems. Emerald's Battle Frontier had a great novelty to it and a greater variety of more challenging facilities than later frontiers, so it was super cool to get to. Something about the smaller size of Sinnoh and Johto's Battle Frontiers and the fact they were just kind of there didn't carry the same appeal. Hoenn's was like going to a theme park! It was an exciting moment.

- Gold, Silver, and Crystal had by far the coolest unlockable on paper. Congrats on beating the game, here's a whole extra region to explore with a whole other eight badges to collect - it was fucking awesome. In execution, Kanto's pretty barebones but it was still a fun time revisiting it three years later.

- More recently, Black and White 2's shiny charm! After so many years of not a single substantial reward for the progressively more massive feat of completing the national pokedex, to finally have something was about the coolest thing Game Freak could do for the series, and they've even carried it over to X and Y! It's probably the most worthwhile reward they could've given, or at least I certainly can't think of a better one.

- And lastly, Super Luigi Galaxy was one hell of a sweet unlockable. Who doesn't love Luigi more than Mario, after all? I hadn't spoiled the fact that he was playable so there was a real moment of disbelief before I eagerly jumped back in to play the whole game again with the man in green. Considering he'd never appeared in a 3D Mario it came totally out of left field and I'm elated that it turned out to be a trendsetter.

• Thumbs Up 3

DAY 21 - Most Memorable Unlockable

2-02.png

"Woah.... what is this place...?"

I kid you not. The strangest and most memorable unlockable was when I first discovered the Insomniac Museum in A Crack in Time. After a pulse pounding 35 + minutes of vanquishing Lord Vorselon, I watched in glee as I got that shiny gold trophy. Full of pride and vigor, I went into the trophy menu and gleefully saw the golden hexagon in its place. "Only a few more left before I go onto Challenge Mode! I wonder if it really lives up to its name..." I then travelled out, and remember seeing something...odd.

1-01.png

"A new planet? Huh. Must be that Insomniac Museum thing." I had remembered reading the trophy list beforehand, and it mentioned that I'd get a free one for visiting at least once. Being the trophy / achievement lover that I am, I figured I'd give it a shot. I gunned it over to the mysterious new planet, intending to uncover its secrets.

And oh boy, I was not expecting this....

Insomniac_Moon.png

It was if Insomniac let me inside their house, gave me keys to their massive garage, and said "Go nuts."

I know for a fact that I didn't do anything else with the game for the rest of the day, as I was playing around in such a massive sandbox. I mean, there were so many ideas that got cut, and I got to look at their pieces! The weapons! The arena! The broken teleports! (I also know for a fact that I got lost for a good 25 minutes in this area in particular. I'm happy that part was gone, lest I blow a gasket...) This wonderful place served to look in wonder of what could have been, but also showed me just how creative Insomniac was. 

That day, I had explored a world beyond my imagination, and my comprehension. There's no way I could ever forget the Insomniac Museum. 

• Thumbs Up 4

Last Window - The Secret of Cape West. Written by Martin Summer

In the sequel of Hotel Dusk: Room 215, the progress of the game is not only summarized by Kyle Hyde's diary, but also detailed in Martin Summer's novel, from which a new chapter is available anytime the player completes a chapter of the game. Not only that! At the end of each chapter of the novel the player can find a secret file with more rumors about Kyle's personal life and habits (which are actually very well written hints for puzzles the player can be stuck in later in the game). Not only that! If the player resists at the temptation of reading these secret files (or remember to power the game off without saving after he reads it...) when the game is completed the reward is a complete novelization of the game, with an extra chapter that narrates what has happened to the characters after the story is over.

Want to know if Tony Wolf succeded in turning his life for the better? If Marie Rivet found happiness? If Dylan Fitchar finally stopped to annoy the people around him? Now you can.

This "post game feature" really was a nice and ingenious move by Cing. More games should follow its example smile.png

Fake+Crash+In+Kart.png

Fake Crash(CTR)

Fake Crash is seriously one of my favorite unlockables in any game. Mainly because he's just a parody troll unlockable. The sounds, animations, etc. he makes are just so hilarious and wacky. And his design is just amazing.

Unlocking Sonic in Brawl was also another amazing bonus. Cause, come on, it's Sonic! Despite how you feel about the character, you got to admit him getting in was quite a surprise.(Even if his overall gameplay was average.)

And then we have another big favorite of mine.

Ultima_Weapon_KHII.png

Ultima Weapon(KH Series)

This is one of the most satisfying rewards in any game for me. The thing kicks butt, and fighting bosses like Sephiroth or any of the final bosses with it are so satisfying, cause you feel unstoppable. (heck, just fighting common enemies with it feels amazing as you can basically instakill with it.) The design also for each game is different, it never feels repetitive to earn. 

• Thumbs Up 3

Day 21: Most Memorable Unlockable

Now, in this case this isn't my favourite, but it's the one I have the clearest memory of, and it stuck in my head for a long while.

SMCP_title.png

Sonic Mega Collection Plus - Sonic 3 & Knuckles

This one may seem strange. All it actually is is an extra game to play.

Again though, most memorable, not best.

And why was this memorable? Because when the message saying I'd unlocked it popped up, I almost shat myself because I thought I'd broken the game or something! I was really young and I didn't understand what it meant. I called my dad to help me, thinking it was broken, and then I found out I'd gotten another game to play and I was chuffed!

Still, it was a hilarious experience, and as such it sticks out in my mind.

20130402133511!Challenger_Approaching_So

As for best, it'd probably be something like Sonic in Super Smash Bros. I played SSBB for 9 hours straight on launch day unlocking and playing as him, then the next day I spent a further 8 hours on it. Suffice to say not much work was done that day.

hqdefault.jpg

Maybe even the horse from Daytona USA on SEGA Saturn, since that's just bloody hilarious.

• Thumbs Up 1

e8b45173b1_74210913_o2.jpg

Silent Hill 3, the Princess Heart costume.

Silent Hill 3 is a great survival horror game with a fantastic ambiance, awesome soundtrack and I could go on.

Then, you unlock this costume and hilarity takes place. And you can use the "Sexy Beam" weapon, some kind of energy crystal beams coupled with eyes lasers.

13_SilentHill3.jpg

How can I not love that ?

• Thumbs Up 2

Day 21- Most Memorable Unlockable

ness.gif

Ness-Super Smash Bros. (N64)

A lot of this has to do with the difficulty of unlocking him when I was a kid, I just wasn't that great at beating single player mode, in Normal Mode, with only 3 lives and no continues. When I finally did it, I was greeted by a Nintendo character I had never even heard of before. That's the great thing about Super Smash Bros., it introduces players to more obscure or forgotten Nintendo characters and gets them interested in games they might have never tried otherwise. Ness' inclusion in Smash Bros. made me into a MOTHER fan.

• Thumbs Up 3

250px-DKRCharacters.jpg

That clock's name is T.T. He's a character in Diddy Kong Racing who helps you check out your stats:

169765-diddy-kong-racing-nintendo-64-scr

If you do really good on the time trials, you can unlock his ghost for each track. If you beat his ghost on every track, you get to use him as a playable character. Unlocking T.T. is a really tough feat, most DKU fans have never accomplished it, I've never even accomplished it without help.

When you do unlock him, crazy stuff like this happens:

Diddy%20Kong%20Racing_Apr23%2018_12_31.j

• Thumbs Up 1

I'm going to say a certain Sonic form we all know of...

Hyper_sonic_by_artmagedtom-d302atz_(1).g

Hyper Sonic! So, I'm saying Hyper Sonic because, well, he cost me many hours and struggles when first trying to get him, all those Special Stages, all the next set of Special Stages, he was really difficult... But in the end, when I had all the Super Emeralds, I could finally turn into him. And I loved playing as him. He was a challenge, and that made me love him and playing as him even more. His vibrant colours really made him stand out so he was a joy to have on screen, and ultimately just looked very cool indeed.

• Thumbs Up 4

Postgame character unlock spoilers for Super Mario 3d World for those that care

Super-Mario-3D-World-Rosalina.jpg

Unlocking Rosalina in Super Mario 3d World

Now, when I herd the news about this back before the game came out, I was really excited. I mean, my favorite Mario princess and one of my favorite Mario characters in general ever, playable? Fuck yes. Although I spoiled the fact that she was there, getting her was part of my motivation to conquer the game (to be fair it's an amazing game I would have had motivation anyway but it helped), and once I got her I was very happy. She's super fun to play as and very useful with her spin move, and I almost always play as her when I boot up the game now. Very memorable both when I first heard about her playable presence, and actually unlocked her. 

• Thumbs Up 1

Day 21: Most Memorable Unlockable:

While I am very tempted to talk about Super Sonic or Sonic himself being unlocked in Brawl, I told myself that I was going to try really hard not to pull the Sonic card today if I could...and I am actually able to do so! happy.png I'm going to go with the unlockables in this game here:

XJhjP6b.jpg?1

Playing Crash Team Racing right from the start was a real treat from the immediate characters and tracks available and the gameplay associated with the racing, such as using weapons as explosive crates and N. Brio's beakers on both regular and "juiced" up forms. Anyway, in regards to unlockables, before cheats and codes being prevalent on the Internet being a thing as it really wasn't back in 1999, you had to unlock characters the "hard" way: by winning Gem cups. Among those was winning the Purple Gem Cup.

After doing this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b_wdx_DG8LE

You ended up earning this:

A4qZQaq.jpg?1

And you end up unlocking this guy:

xLxlv5b.jpg?1

Fake Crash. I fondly remember how excited my younger siblings and I were when we unlocked him as opposed to the other unlockable characters as racers in the game.  We got a kick out of seeing him initially in Crash Bandicoot 3: Warped to him being so funny and zany, so it was nice to see him again in this outstanding and fun racing game. smile.png

There is many more where that came from in regards to unlockables from CTR including the Naughty Dog Scrapbook and the Spyro 2 Demo. This game had so many goodies to discover...wink.png

Man, I miss this game...sad.png I had a real blast playing it and I definitely have some fond memories initially playing CTR some near 15 years ago as well.

• Thumbs Up 5

a1MvAZJ.png

Man, Super Luigi Galaxy was a real treat. At the time, the only other Mario platformer in the series I had played was New Super Mario Bros. on the DS, and I found it so cool how when you did the L + R + Start cheat, you could play as Luigi in place of Mario, because I had only ever seen Luigi appear in the spin-offs, from the Mario games I had played I mean, and I thought it was so cool for him to have a main series appearance.

Anyways, I was eager to see if there was some similar cheat that would be revealed at the end of Super Mario Galaxy, ala the way it was revealed at the end of the game in NSMB, when I first got it, but then I eventually reached Ghostly Galaxy, where Luigi makes an appearance. That sorta lead me to believe he wouldn't be playable at all, and the missions where you just find Luigi and he gives you a Power Star didn't really help diminish that belief. Soon after beating the main game, my mom got me a strategy guide for it. I looked through it to see if there was any mention of Luigi, and at the very end of the book, it mentioned Super Luigi Galaxy, a mode that lets you play the whole game, from the start of Gateway Galaxy, as Luigi. I thought that was so cool, I immediately worked on getting all 120 Power Stars, and beating the final boss once more.

It was cool because it was Luigi, but man it was especially cool because Luigi played differently from Mario. He was faster, jumped higher and farther, and he had less traction. It made playing as Mario again after that feel noticeably stiffer. Man I also thought it was hilarious how there ends up being two Luigi's in the game, because of the mission in Ghostly Galaxy, it was a funny surprise. Super Luigi Galaxy was just an all around nifty unlockable, and pretty much cemented Luigi as my favorite Mario character.

An honorable mention would go to Hyper Sonic in Sonic 3 & Knuckles, man it was just a really cool reward for all the effort you have to put in to get him, and man it was fun blasting through all of the levels again as him.

But yeah man, there ya go.

• Thumbs Up 5

This one is easy for me...but not for any reason anyone else would likely remember their choice.

Fake+Crash+In+Kart.png

The Search for the Odd Noodle (Crash Team Racing)

Crash Team Racing has a pretty simple unlocking system. You beat a gem cup, you get a character (for five of the seven any way). Aside from the fact that Fake Crash is tied to the dickish purple gem arena instead of the colour-coded races, there's nothing particularly notable about him.

But then we get to the cheat codes. There's a lot of them in the game, and the unlockable characters were no exception. There's even one character who's exclusively unlocked through cheat codes, Penta Penguin. Seems simple enough, right?

However, there was a little detail; for the longest time, it was thought that Fake Crash had no cheat code and that the only way to unlock him was through the purple gem cup. All the cheat books and cheat guides had the six character codes and nothing for Fake Crash. Many would have left it there and not dwelled on it, but not the tech boffins in the Crash fandom. For years, they poured over the secrets held within CTR and many other Crash games. Eventually, it was figured that the cheat codes were not random, but in fact code words spelled out by the buttons they matched up with (For example, the up directional button could be Up or North). With this knowledge, they sussed out the word spelled by every existing cheat, but they didn't stop there. No, they experimented with new words and combinations to spell out.

Eventually, through someone's apparent mad genius, the strange word salad of oddnoodle was tested. And after entering in the code of circle, down, down, up, circle, circle, down, left, right, it was discovered that our lovable faker had a cheat code the entire time. 

I put this down not because of how amazing the unlock itself is, but because of the effort and dedication it took to find a buried secret within the game for it. This was found in 2009, a whole ten years after the game was released. That is some commitment!

...Kiah posted as I was typing. >.>

Haha, there were quite a couple of mentions, but if I had to pick the most memorable....

Hyper_sonic.gif

Hyper Sonic (Sonic 3 & Knuckles)

One of the things that really sparked my interest was not just discovering that you could combine Sonic 3 and Sonic and Knuckles to create the greatest game of all time, but discovering that after beating the first half of the game with all Chaos Emeralds unlocked the S&K set of Special Stages, which rewarded you Super Emeralds. My young mind couldn't even begin to fathom what the hell Sonic would to turn into when he got all the Super Emeralds, I mean, the Chaos Emeralds turned Sonic into Super Sonic, so knows what might happen with the Super Emeralds.

Just the challenge of getting all 14 emeralds alone was more than memorable for me and discovering this extra bonus that came with it was the icing on the cake that made the game whole.

Honorable Mentions

Permanant Superflame (Spyro 2)

One of the reasons Spyro 2 is my favorite game in the series, once you've collected all 64 Orbs and all the Gems, that final door inside Dragon Shores finally opens up and reveals a Superflame powerup gate. The anticipation in collecting everything in the game, with the door being a constant tease made getting 100% oh so satisfying.

Most memorable Unlockable? (day 21)

Gonna say the BFG 9000 from Doom. This was the first one that was not Sonic Related that popped into my head. i remember it well because Doom was one of the very first PC games that I ever played and I got hooked on it pretty quick, and Doom was a pretty tough game at the time. I probably used a cheat to get the gun to be honest. But the BFG 9000 was just amazing. Wanna kill a demon ? - no problem - how about all the demons on screen? - no worries? Ohh you didn't wanna suffer damage due to the blast? - too bad! Hahs yeah, that's right a gun so powerful that it iften hurt you too. The other thing was, for the 8 or 9 year old me, finding out what the BFG acronym stands for with regard to the gun, was hilarious.

Day 21: Memorable Unlocks.

You ever play Spider-Man: the movie game on Ps2/Gamecube? It had two memorable unlocks. First, bowling mode. You can have 4 players who each take a different Spidey costume. At the end of a bowling alley is 10 webbed up thugs. Your to swing down the alley and fly kick as many as possible. Add in Bruce Campbell quips and your golden. The second is a second playable character with a different story. Harry Osborn dons the Green Goblin armour and goes on a search to find answers on his fathers death. It was just a reskin in most part, except the Goblin was a very different character. He used bombs, Glider guns and robots to attack. Very cool unlock.

Day 21: Most memorable unlockable

Super Luigi Galaxy
6204.header.jpg_2D00_610x0.jpg
Yes, yes. Haden already beat me to it- but that's not the point. The point is, this was absolutely awesome. When my bro and I unlocked Luigi, we ended up playing around with him just to get an idea of how he was different and oh man. For one, he jumps like a motherfucker with his triple jump reaching incredible heights. He can make jumps and take shortcuts Mario could only dream of. He's also a lot faster and slides around a lot. Really, it's memorable to me for those first minutes of play and the surprise at how OP and awkward Luigi was to use. Going back to Mario was a little hard after that, to be honest. 

• Thumbs Up 1

Most Memorable Unlockable

tt_03.png

Oh hey, something from a Rare game. Is anyone surprised at this point? But yeah, I gotta go with T.T. I don't even play with him that much, but I will never forget what I went through to get T.T. Anyone who's unlocked him knows what I'm talking about. Diddy Kong Racing can be difficult for first timers, but you'll get good at it rather quickly. Getting to the point where you can consistently get first place is pretty easy.

Don't get fooled by that. You think you're awesome at the game, but when you try to beat T.T.'s times in time trial, you'll learn that you weren't half as good as you though you were. I have no idea how I had the patience to beat T.T. in all the time trials, but goddamn, it felt good when I did.

Day 21: "Unlock, you mean DLC, right?" Most Memorable Unlockable

ROAM.png

The Race of AGES (Mirrored) from Sonic & All-Stars Racing Transformed

I'll admit, I never really played this game much on my own... it's just MUCH more fun with friends. So just about all the tracks that I DO have, are ones I played with friends at some point, including both versions of Race of Ages. Now, I enjoyed the HELL out of RoA after it unlocked from the Multiplayer thing... but I had NOOO idea there was a MIRRORED version of the track! I flipped out when I discovered this fact, and then it unlocked once we played!

I just love this track <3

Day Numbero 21: Ninja Unleashed: Ninja's "Kami would unlock Easy Mode after 5 Minutes of playing" Most Memorable Unlockable ever

ZW3tlf1.png

Smash Bros Unlockables.

now Smash Bros as I talked before is a series thats near and dear to my Heart, combining all the Great Nintendo Franchises to a Battle Royale.

Like it or not but spending a decent amount of time in the game, or beating a difficult challenge, and then seeing this Screen Pop up, always gets me really excited, the excitement of being able to finally unlock that one character you've been wanting to unlock, I love it.

YewJxtu.png

DMC3: Easy Mode

now the thing with DMC3 as mentioned before is, its Hard, if you Button Mash you get Button mashed right in your Ass, and you dont want that.

but if this is your first time playing these games, you are gonna get your Ass mashed, and if you do that 3 times in a row, this message pops up

someone at Capcom probably had a laugh when he came up with this, no big Fanfare, not even the game over screen, just a message saying "Easy mode is now selectable" as if to say "yeeeah, you're gonna need this now Buddy, here is Easy mode, put on your safety Helmet and dont hurt yourself too much"  as a Final Kick to the balls to your newest attempt at being Cool yet dying trying.

• Thumbs Up 1

Day 21: Favorite Unlockable.

Bio-04.jpg

The Plaga Removal Laser.

If you manage to beat Resident Evil 4 on Professional Mode, you're rewarded with one of the most overpowered weapons in the entire series. Charge it up, and anything 180 degrees in front of you is dead. It can one-shot almost any boss. It makes the game ridiculously easy, but whatever, you earned it. I want to say my favorite unlockable from that game is the Handcannon, because it's even more difficult to get, but I actually haven't used it, even after getting it. I was so burned out from doing multiple playthroughs that I had to put it down.

Honorable Mentions

Luigi in Super Mario Galaxy

The Sky Fang in Skies of Arcadia.

Just about any secret Smash Bros character.

Smash Bros. Challenger

MarthApproaching.png

Like I've said before, Super Smash Brothers Melee was one of the first games that my brothers and I played together. And what a better way to top a match off than to have one of these screens show up afterwards. I think it adds a whole new level of hype when you're looking at whoever won the last match and hoping they manage to KO the unlockable, or if you're the one who won, having their eyes on you. It's also a nice way to end any of the challenge modes that Melee had. As long as you don't screw up and disappoint everyone.

• Thumbs Up 1

I usually try to go against the norm, but unfortunately I'm just gonna have to parrot most of the others here.

ObXkqFGM85-4.png

CHALLENGER APPROACHING - Super Smash Bros. Series

As a kid, seeing this warning in Melee (and to a lesser extent because of a barrage of internet info, Brawl) was the most shit-your-pants inducing thing ever.  Something about the way the droning siren and darkly presented silhouette unexpectedly splashed onto the screen was just incredible.  It truly made finding new content special.  That said, I think Melee's qualifications to unlock stuff was terrible and tedious, something Brawl definitely did better.  Not much else to say.

Well actually, there is one thing gnawing at me: how is SSB4 going to do it?

With Sakurai's very disappointing attitude towards cutscenes being available at the beginning because, to paraphrase what he said, players will just look them up online anyway, will he think the same of unlockable characters?  There's two versions of this new installment, leading me to think that they may eliminate unlockable characters altogether to avoid frustration.  I really hope they don't do this, though, because I find unlocking characters to be incredibly rewarding, and getting rid of it would really take away from the experience.  Plus, getting rid of it would make it more likely that they will reveal every character before the game is out - something I am strongly against.  I want to be surprised, dammit!

So here's how I hope it goes down: the game has some secret unlockable fighters, but if you unlock it on one version, you can link it up to the other version and unlock it immediately.  That'd keep the element of discovery without making it tedious for people who own both versions.

And that's my editorial on what the next Smash Bros. game should do, thereby completing my answer for Day 21 - What the Next Smash Bros. Game Should Do for Unlockables.

• Thumbs Up 4

welp

it's a sonic

now_sonic_can_be_super_sonic_by_deborahs

DIS

Now, of course, throughout most of my childhood, I played the Adventure-era Sonic games, where Super Sonic was usually just a fancy gameplay change for the final boss. I was familiar with Sonic 3 & Knuckles through the Sonic & Knuckles Collection (which I loved), but I never really bothered with the special stages or figured they had any real importance.

By the time I had picked up Mega Collection Plus, I became savvy to the idea that they might be necessary to receive a prospective "good ending". Unfortunately, I wasn't exactly good enough at the game to get them myself. Then I discovered that Sonic Mega Collection had save states. I first used these to beat Sonic 1 and Sonic 2, and then I had the most absolutely ingenious idea of all time.

"Finally, I'll get ALL the Chaos Emeralds! Hahahaha! HAHAHAHAHAHA!"

In any case, my first target for doing so was Sonic 3, the classic game I knew best. When I finally did the deed and saw the text informing me that I can be Super Sonic, I was like, "Wait, what? I can play as Super Sonic? Pfft, you gotta be kidding me!"

Then I got 50 rings and what happened next blew my mind.

I think that's what makes this so memorable for me. I had no idea whatsoever there was ever a time that Super Sonic was playable in normal levels, and discovering that there was was amazing.

OTHER MEMORABLE UNLOCKABLES (SPOILER ALERT: ALMOST ALL OF THEM ARE ALSO SONIC)

The Super Emeralds and Hyper Sonic/Knuckles - "So I made it to the Sonic & Knuckles half of this game with all seven Chaos Emeralds! Say, what's that rainbow ring thing? Wait what? WHAT IS HAPPENING ARE THOSE SUPER EMERALDS WHAT?!!!!"

Also Hyper Sonic was tons upon tons of fun to play around with. Love the best ending, too.

DEBUG MODE (S3&K) - Not really an unlockable, more so a cheat. Still, I used to mess around with this for hours, getting characters into areas they weren't supposed to be in and trying to break the game in every way imaginable. Good times.

THE BIGGORON'S SWORD (OCARINA OF TIME) - I suppose this one's memorable more for its quest than anything, but to me, no playthrough of Ocarina of Time is complete without getting this awesome super weapon. 

• Thumbs Up 2

Day 21! Most memorable unlockable!

I really like Super Luigi Galaxy! After you beat Super Mario Galaxy with Mario, you get a very special surprise; play the entire game all over again, but this time with Mario's younger brother Luigi! SMG is already an amazing game to play, so going through it a second time was certainly something I wanted to do again. Luigi also plays differently from Mario (jumps higher, runs a bit faster but has less traction etc), which is a nice touch and it means he's not just a simple clone. The rescue mission in the Boo's haunted house where the two Luigi's meet, is pretty funny too!

And of course collecting the 121st Star is a wonderful retread through the Star Festival at the beginning of the game but with all the characters from your adventures celebrating near and around the Castle. Collect all the Purple Coins and you get your last Star! This is known as the Grand Finale Galaxy, a wonderful ending to a wonderful game.

GrandFinaleGalaxy-StarFestival-SMG.png

• Thumbs Up 6