Awoo.

30 Days of Video Games - BONUS: Why Do You Play Games Pg. 142

Sami

I'VE BEEN WAITING TWENTY-THREE DAYS FOR THIS

~ Turn it Up and Get Down! ~

Day 23/30: Favourite Song Soundtracks

You can tell that this was the day I was looking forward to the most. Gonna shake things up a little with a Top 5 this time around! Spoiler'd for length and, in most cases, actual spoilers, so you've been warned!

For convenience's sake, the following soundtracks have been selected from games released within the last two years, since the previous 30 Days of Video Games.

5. Soundtrack Selected: Pokémon X & Pokémon Y: Super Music Collection

Chosen Highlight: An Eternal Prison, by Shota Kageyama

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IUu57VopWv8

"Get the key back. It should not be used. Everything will vanish again. Do you want to know unending pain…like I have?"

~AZ, Former King of the Kalos Region

Higher quality music/music alone here.

So, why this game's OST in particular?

Discounting the Gamecube instalments, one of the things that made the newest generation of Pokémon super awesome was the fact that the sound producers took full advantage of the 3DS' capabilities and pushed the envelope in just about every aspect, with the soundtrack's quality having gotten a substantial boost compared to previous titles. The greater hardware allowed for the music team at Game Freak to go further and push for a higher standard in sound fonts and instrumentation than in games past, with the tunes sounding more and more like they came from a live orchestra -- though it's not quite at that point, it's pretty damn close. It just goes to show how much of a long way we came since the 8bit chiptune-y stylings of Pokémon Red & Pokémon Green. Jun'ichi Masuda, Shota Kageyama, and co. did an amazing job scoring a great many of the most moving tracks in the franchise (I still tear up at the credits tune, Kiseki). This makes me all the more hype for Omega Ruby and Alpha Sapphire in 5 months because oh my fuck the nostalgia attack will kill me. SOUND THE TRUMPETS

On to the highlight, I chose An Eternal Prison because it was under this song where Pokémon unexpectedly delved into dark, and I don't mean the typing. Since the game's release was simultaneous worldwide, spoilers were able to be avoided for the most part, so by the time I reached this cutscene towards the Vs. Team Flare endgame, I had no idea what to expect. The result... I was stunned. The piano starts off the track all soft and melancholic-like as the imprisoned AZ tells you of events of over 3000 years ago, of a war that raged on within the Kalos region without end. This was a first in the series; the fact that such a thing as war was not only described, but depicted as well, surprised m---oh my god, a coffin.

Am I... still playing Pokémon here?

Then... you know what, just watch the cutscene. I can't really do the track justice by putting the tragedy it underscores into words. It's powerful stuff.

4. Soundtrack Selected: Super Mario 3D World Original Soundtrack

Chosen Highlight: The Credits Roll, by the Mario 3D World Big Band

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P7KJeuu4Whg

"Thank you so much-a for playing my game!"

~Mario

I love jazz. I was stuck between this and something from Dream Team because I really love Yoko Shimomura and her material too, but... big band jazz, come on! How could I ignore this? For those curious, I'd have gone with Somnom Woods and its Dreamy Somnom Labyrinth variant had that been the case

The Mario 3D World Big Band, led by Mahito Yokota, Koji Kondo, Toru Minegeshi, and Yasuaki Iwata, put together what I consider to be the greatest main game Mario soundtrack of all time, hands down. It's jazz? Check. Lead composer from the Galaxy games arranging most of the OST? Check. Musicians knowing what they're doing? A professional check. After a good string of New Super Mario Bros. "Repeats", it's nice to hear something fresh from the main series again, something that didn't rely on "Baa! Baa!" over and over... but I got more than what I expected. I was stumped as to what to choose, but eh, why not go for the obvious?

The staff roll for this title was a wonderful way to cap off a stellar Mario experience, going for the title's main motif as well as Bowser's motif towards the end, and it's so beautifully arranged you can't help but snap your fingers along, or tap your feet, or clap your hands, or whatever, to the beat. The drums cuing the rest of the band to start, the bombastic brass, the piano in the back keeping things going, the saxophones really getting at it when Bowser comes up... Amazing. Congrats on saving the Sprixie Kingdom. Have a danouddadan OST.

so every Club Nintendo except North America gets this as a reward? well golly gee fucking thanks Nintendo

3. Soundtrack Selected: Kirby: Triple Deluxe Original Soundtrack

Chosen Highlight: Kyōhana Suigetsu (狂花水月, lit. "Mad Flower Under the Moon the Colour of Water"), by Hirokazu Ando

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iGGVWGJ0ZiM

"Bah... Aha... I...see. I expected as much from the hero chosen by the Dreamstalk. But I wonder... How will you handle this? You see, true beauty...is control. The Dreamstalk has guided you thus far. But its bloom will be your doom! Floralia, Dream Land, and this entire planet! You should all feel honored. You will serve as my sustenance... for eternity!"

~Sectonia, Tyrant Queen of Floralia

What is there to say about Kirby music that hasn't already been said? Hirokazu Ando and Jun Ishikawa, recurring composers for the franchise since its inception, did yet another wonderful job with Triple Deluxe, making for a colourful joyride packed with cute and fun and sprinkles, right up until the Eldritch Abomination of a final boss. This game does rely on a good number of rearrangements of previous themes, but the way they pulled it off helped keep them fresh, but the originals featured are purely divine. What I really love about the soundtrack is the amount of love the theme of His Majesty the King of Dream Land, Dedede, has gotten -- sue me, I love it to bits.

As for the highlight, it's the final boss's Phase 2 theme that takes the cake for me. Following on from Phase 1 in Ishikawa's Dirty & Beauty, the parasitic wasp Queen Sectonia pulls a One-Winged Angel on all of Pop Star by merging with the gigantic Dreamstalk that grew high beyond the clouds, and is now draining the world of its life force in order to keep herself alive. Her vanity, paired with her yearning for youth everlasting and Kirby defeating her in the first round, drove her to insanity, and with how determined she is to stick through it (for example, feeding off the entire planet and killing all its citizens), she is beyond help. Either you kill her, or she kills everyone. Before the night ends, she must be given her eternal beauty sleep, a message that is well expressed through the undertone of despair behind the track.

By name, Kyōhana Suigetsu, having been referred to as F-L-O-W-E-R by the fans until its official name recently came to light (in the same fashion as the equally kickass C-R-O-W-N-E-D for Magolor of Return to Dream Land fame), is based off of a Chinese saying that teaches of the dangers of temptation, referring to the desire of a dream that cannot be so easily reached, if at all. Sectonia's delusions and temptations ("Mad Flower"), no matter how high she tries to reach ("Under the Moon"), will never come to fruition, as it is something that she cannot hope to attain -- like a reflection in water, it is something that can only be seen, not held ("the Colour of Water").

2. Soundtrack Selected: Sonic Lost World Original Soundtrack: Without Boundaries

Chosen Highlight: Sea Bottom Segue, by Tomoya Ohtani

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4wFHO_nlHgY

"Amy? Knuckles--? Anybody...? ... auh..."

~Sonic the Hedgehog

And I've been doing so well after twenty-three days, but I can't just up and ignore mentioning this one... Welp, there goes my Sonic card.

If there's one thing the Sonic franchise has always done right and never done wrong, it's the music. The game could be stellar, the game could be crap, but the music will never come short of absolute quality.

Time and time and time again, from the series' genesis right into the most recent titles, the soundtracks in the series have always been positively received, if not universally well received. Many a name have lent their talents to SEGA and Sonic Team -- while the development teams expanded on the core mythos with every new game, the musicians provided such a varied atmosphere to better convey that mythos, in the levels, the cutscenes, the character scenes, and even the various jingles. Many a memorable track have been spun by folks like Jun Senoue, Fumie Kumatani, Masafumi Ogata, Naofumi Hataya, Tommy Tallarico, Howard Drossin, Cash Cash, Hideki Naganuma, Masato Nakamura, Brad Buxer, Richard Jacques, and, for today's subject, Tomoya Ohtani. Ohtani took care of the majority of the soundtrack of Sonic Lost World, and it's pretty damn awesome all around.

Why did this song stick out for me? Well, it's because of the two entirely different moods that this tune exhibits during the two underwater grinding stages (sticking to Wii U version for convenience here). The first time around, when you hear it in Tropical Coast Act 3 once you've teamed up with Eggman, the tune sounds all nice and calm as you traverse this tunnel of rails beneath the waves. Later, you hear it for Lava Mountain Act 2, after Sonic lost absolutely everything. Tails is being roboticized, Amy and Knuckles are dead on the planet below, and Eggman sacrificed his life to save yours (well not really). The normally jolly hedgehog is left... hopeless. With this mood, the song went from nice and calm to depressing and heartbreaking, yet it's still pushing forward. "It doesn't matter now what happens" gets turned on its head, seeing how much of an effect the Zeti's actions have on the blue blur. Hell, the bad guys practically won -- anyone else would just give up here. Not Sonic. He knows he has a job to do, and he will see through it to the end in the names of those he lost.

This is how you break a hero.

we do not speak of chronicles

get your heathen talk out of here you heretic

Now, after a good chunk of these song choices, you might be thinking to yourself: "Gee, Vizard, you're into some really depressing shit!" And hey, what can I say? I love me some angst in my games!

However, strap in your seatbelts and tuck in your shirts, because Number 1... Get some headphones, crank that volume up, and get ready to be amazed.

1. Soundtrack Selected: Kid Icarus: Uprising Original Soundtrack

Chosen Highlight: Chapter 14 -- Lightning Battle // Thunder Cloud Temple, by Motoi Sakuraba and Yasunori Mitsuda

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Uxnc2eoPjSs

"Hello there~!"

"Attention, pet of Viridi! You'd better sharpen! Those! Claws! I am the servant of Palutena, Goddess of Light, an--oW-OW-OW!"

"Enough blabbity-blab. Now let's get to the main act!"

~Phosphora & Pit

Yep, Uprising takes number one again. I can't help it, the game's just amazing all around! Of course the music was gonna be downright awesome. A great majority of the tracks are performed by a live orchestra, every tune is outstandingly scored to the action with tons of highlights to choose from, an all star cast of composers have joined the fray, and, finally, I can talk about the one pair of tracks I've been meaning to showcase for this very day since Day 2 -- Favourite Game.

The songs are basically "OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOH FUCKING HELL YES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!" in musical form.

Pit starts off as per normal, but the door to the next stage explodes due to a stray energy blast or lightning bolt. The sky is literally being torn a new asshole with dark clouds, massive spiralling tornadoes, and ongoing and unrelenting thunderstorms just raging on, and IT'S JUST SO SUPER INTENSE I CAN'T BELIEVE IT. It's brilliantly set to the battle way up ahead between Thanatos, the God of Death brought back to life for the second time, and newcomer Phosphora the Lightning Flash, one of Viridi's Commanders alongside Arlon the Serene and Cragalanche the Mighty. The amount of power these two are exuding and unleashing upon one another is greatly affecting the storm surrounding them, and it just keeps going as you keep tailing them. Classical-esque orchestra gets shoved aside for some sort of rock/metal/techno fusion of sorts and it's absolutely awesome. The guitar, the bass, and the drums -- the fucking drums -- make for such a blood-pumping atmosphere.

Once you're on the ground in the Thunder Cloud Temple, on a floating island in the eye of a giant hurricane, you feel just as pumped as the Act 2 version of this track kicks on. The pace is slower, but the percussion keeping you on, and the orchestra back on the front seat, still make for an awesome follow-up as the melody hasn't lost any of its lustre. Lightning Battle focused on Phosphora and her match with Thanatos, Thunder Cloud Temple focuses on you. You're still in the fight, you're still there to take names, and you're still there to kick some Forces of Nature ass. It's your turn to bring the thunder!

I'd also go on and rave about the dialogue in this chapter, but I'm just here for the music today.

• Thumbs Up 2

Day 24 - Favorite Controller

Dualshock4.jpg

Dualshock 4

Gonna be totally candid here - had to come up with this one on a whim a minute ago. Had trouble answering my own question and had to toss it, so apologies if today's entry is a bit lackluster.

Gonna be honest - I didn't really know what to think of this controller when it was first shown off. I got my start with gaming on the Genesis and NES, but the first console I ever played extensively was the PS1. Since then, I've owned Playstation consoles pretty much exclusively (mostly due to lack of income and having to choose just one) up until my dad bought a Wii. As such, the Dualshock design is one I've grown more than accustomed to. Feels super natural to me, and there was never a controller I liked quite as much. A change in the design was something I was a bit nervous about.

When I tried it though, it clicked almost instantly. Literally every single aspect of the design has been perfected, and none of the flaws of the older DS designs remain. It fits well in the hands, the buttons feel good, the gyroscope is much better, and the touchpad is neat. Going back to the DS3 afterward felt really weird, which I never expected to happen.

I'm bracing myself to see a 

looooooot of GameCube today, lol. It's probably #4 for me, behind XB1's controller and the DS3 - very good design.

• Thumbs Up 4

Day 24: Favourite Controller

Dualshock 4

Now I don't own a PS4 yet, but I've seen the Dualshock 4 in stores and it looks really comfortable. Nicer analog sticks, clicky buttons, proper triggers, and it has a nice size to it even for bigger hands.

Wii U Gamepad

I'm probably in the minority that likes the gamepad. It fits comfortably into my hands, the button layout is can be gotten used to, and the Off TV play is a godsend. There is also a built in gyro, TV remote, NFC reader, camera, and microphone, so it's basically filled the the brim with bells and whistles. Unfortunately this drives the price up, but it's not too bad. But the main attraction with the gamepad is off TV play. Playing games in bed without having to look at the TV is a really good feature.

Honourable mention goes to the Xbox 360 controller due to how comfy and versatile it is.

• Thumbs Up 2

Day 24: Favorite Controller

Oh, hmm...

GameCube_controller.png

Gotta go with this one.

I suppose half of it is nostalgia, but I swear, there's something about this controller that feels perfect. I think its the large "A" button along with the other face button layouts that make it so fun.

If anything, it's perfect for Smash Bros and a few other GameCube exclusives. Definitely a childhood staple.

• Thumbs Up 1

Day 24

psp.jpg

SILLY JIN THE PSP ISN'T A CONTROLLER

No, it isn't, but let me finish. I chose the PSP because it's buttons felt the best to me. Mind you it doesn't have nearly as good analog as some other handhelds or controllers do, but I don't use it that often either. I usually stick to the D-Pad on the PSP because it just FEELS SO DAMN GOOD. I'd nigh say it's perfect. Mind you I haven't really gotten enough Vita to see how that feels but oh well.

Close contender is the Dualshock 3 because that feels really good too, but a lot of things about it can urk me too.

And completely on the bottom are the DS/3DS and the Wii and Wii U controllers biggrin.png

Oh, and I didn't pick the Gamecube controller for what I assume is a lack of experience or nostalgic value with it. I've played with it, but it never felt good to me. It always felt clunky and the button layout felt slow. So ya.

As for the Xbox 360 Controller... It feels more like the "opposite" of the Dualshock 3, so while I use it often, it's flaws are more apparant to me, especially when I play D-Pad for my fighters.

• Thumbs Up 1

Day 24.

I'm going to join and say DS4. I too grew up on the Dualshocks. The PlayStation was one of the first consoles I owned. So, of course the original Dualshocks held value to me, and of course the ones after felt like coming home. When I saw the DualShock 4, I was in a mix of emotions. On one hand, I liked the look of it. It had a cool touch pad, it looked quite large, good for my hands, and the triggers of course. But, I also felt as if I was going to be at loss with my comfort zone controller, the original DualShocks. However, come Christmas of 2013, and I finally wrap my fingers and palms around my very own DualShock 4, I felt that same comfort of the originals. With it's size, and triggers, it's even better than the original DualShocks for me, with my long fingers. The analogue sticks are a joy to have your thumbs on, and the touchpad is really nifty. I don't feel as if I have lost something with the change, if anything it's like gaining, because I still feel as though there is a DualShock 1/2/3 within.

1hWaj.png

I love the N64 controller. It's such a stupid piece of shit and yet it's got that zany Nintendo controller charm.

I'm in the minority on this, but I love the feel of the little bastard. In fact I cannot play Star Fox 64 without it.

It's the controller I grew up with and such an amazingly stupid idea that I have a soft spot in my heart for.

• Thumbs Up 7

1999.jpg

Gotta give it to the king.

This controller has a few nagging flaws that modern controllers don't, but everythinb about it just FEELS natural. There's a reason that it's universally considered the best controller option for pretty much every game that supports it(besides the Wii Remte being shit a lot of the time.) The button layout seems strange at first glance but it works extremely well. The triggers are alsp pretty much perfect aside from their only being 2 of them. 

It's designed to be THE definitive way to play Nintendo's game and it works perfectly when it comes to that.

Day 24 - Favourite Controller

Alright I'm gonna be one of those people that will say this. No, the Gamecube controller is not the best controller out there. In my opinion it's overrated. The best controller to me, is

907335-dualshock3_screen_01_big.jpg

The Dualshock 3

Yeah, this is it. Now I noticed a few people above me mentioned the Dualshock 4. I still have yet to get my hands on one of those so, yeah I can't say anything about it. Or the Xbox One for that matter. Hell, there are many controllers I haven't even touched like the N64 or Dreamcast. Regardless, let me state why I think the Dualshock 3 is the best controller.

Simply put, it's comfort. You know, when it comes to controllers, a lot of them tend to feel good when you first have them in your hand, but slowly cramp your hands and become quite uncomfortable. Especially if you have big hands, like me. Controllers such as the 360, Wii, Gamecube even just weren't friendly to me after prolonged periods of play. When I first held a Dualshock 3, it felt a bit small and strange, mostly because of the L2 and R2 buttons. But I noticed after playing hours of games, my hands weren't uncomfortable. No hand cramps, no fingers getting numb. It was perfect. Never in my life had I felt such comfort with a controller. 

Now I guess I should talk about the buttons too. The buttons on it are pretty good. The symbol buttons provide a nice click to them when pressed, so it's satisfying enough. The d-pad is also really good. It's got a nice feel to it as well and it's responsive. Nothing to complain about. I really don't know what else to say. The Dualshock 3 is a fantastic controller.

• Thumbs Up 3

Xbox-360-S-Controller.png

I suppose my answer to this would be the Xbox 360 controller. Just something about it feels... good. It fits comfortably, the layout is optimal, it's wireless... Dunno why, it just feels lke the perfect controller (though having to recharge batteries is an annoyance).

Day 24: Favourite Controller

I have to go with the Gamecube Controller, the last controller Nintendo made for normal people! It fits in your hands so well, and the way every button is sized, placed and colored makes it easy and fun to use. The control stick is in the best spot it can be in, and the C-stick being on the bottom right is my favourite place for the second stick to be placed. And they're not too far apart so you can press everything easily.

Another thing I appreciate is the color coding, especially on the shoulder buttons/bumpers. Often when I play games on my PS3 and it requires me to press the L1 or R1 buttons quickly I get confused, but when I need to quickly press the Z button its I can because bright purple! It sounds kinda stupid but I still like it.

The GC controller is pretty much the only controller I can play Smash Bros. with, I can't imagine it any other way.

Day 23: Favourite Controller

sony-dualshock-4.jpg

The DualShock 4

This controller is just perfect IMO. When I first saw it at the PS4 unveiling event, I thought it looked cool, way better than the DualShock 3 but I had my doubts about how comfortable it actually is. Eventually people got a hold of it and started giving it immense praise, even going as far as to say that it's better than the Xbox 360 controller. I was pretty impressed at that point cause the 360 controller was REALLY hard to beat in terms of comfort.

The PS4 finally came out and I had my own DS4 and when I first held it I was in love. The curves, the triggers, the touchpad feel and location, the buttons, the size, the handle length...everything felt right about this controller. I love it.

After playing Child of Light and Transistor, I have so much more respect for the gimmicks the controller has as well. The speaker and the touchpad really aren't tacked on at all. I like the light bar as well as it makes the controller look futuristic, but it's just there for show to be honest unless you have a PS Camera.

• Thumbs Up 1

Day 24: Favourite Controller.

Gonna give it to the Gamecube's for a few reasons. 1, comfort. It's smooth, easy placed buttons meant a good gaming experience. 2, the compatability. True, I love the DualShock. Thing is, as soon as a new console comes along, the old itteration is defunct. GameCube however has compatability for a lot more than the Gamecube. Lastly, its well built. Back in the day, I had DualShocks breaking for no good reason. Went through a lot of them. I only needed two Gamecube controllers. They are very durable. Well done you sexy cube.

• Thumbs Up 1

Easily the Gamecube controller.

Now, it's not perfect. It's been beaten in a few areas, namely the L and R triggers (the 360 has better triggers, I feel). But the Gamecube controller's strength lies in it's button layout. I love how each button has a different shape and feel. The positioning of the face buttons is far more intuitive than the standard diamond design (especially for Smash).

oh and it comes in many colours including BRIGHT FUCKING ORANGE

gc-controller-small.jpg

24th Day - Favourite method of brainwashi- uh I mean CONTROLLER

This one was surprisingly easy compared to previous days!

Gamecube Controller - "The Ol' Cubey McDoobie"

PA.02223.001.jpg

Image of this one chosen because I always wanted one but it never came to Europe..

As others have said, the Gamecube controller sure was a flawed piece of work huh? That D-Pad is atrocious, the Z button feels like they stuck it there in an afternoon cause they needed an extra button for ports of third party games, and unlike recent Nintendo controllers it was a "special snowflake" in its own way.. too different for a "second analogue stick", it had the C-Stick, and then there's the colourful button layout. Needless to say, the GC pad did little to change Nintendo's image. BUT.

It was a joy to hold, and that's why I'm choosing it. The Gamecube controller was, and is, the king of ergonomic design in controllers, especially after the weird-ass N64 controller. While it's true that the Gamecube controller was designed specifically for the kinds of games Nintendo were making, and was difficult to get used to for many third party games (or games on other systems if you had controller converters), it was impeccably well suited to Nintendo's own games. The Gamecube had many failings, but one triumph was that Nintendo had managed to create a controller that made their own games shiny even more, make them even more easy to get used to and comfortable to play. The GC controller, compared to past controllers I'd used, spoiled me.. and even now, I find myself going for it for games like Super Smash Bros., and Mario Kart. Its design was insane, and it made many games made by other developers feel kinda awkward (especially fighting games that weren't Soulcalibur oh boy).. ironically it was also terrible for any sort of 2D game, which Nintendo adores now.. weird huh?

But yep, it's still just so damn comfortable. Good rumble, nice double-use shoulder buttons, super soft analogue. For kid me, it was a leap in all sorts of right directions, and I think even now it could teach modern controllers about the importance of ergonomics.

Honourable mentions:

• Dualshock 4 - I honestly believe to be the peak of the conventional controller design, they finally made it comfier and gave it a more satisfying D-Pad too

• Wii U GamePad
    My TV's on... but it's in use...
    Got my Wii U Gamepad.. still got somethin' to do..
    And I think to myself...
    What a wonderful world..!
  • Thumbs Up 2

Great! I can actually answer this question this morning real quick before I start a 15 hour workday today as this immediate answer came to mind:

PZhfa3X.png?1

The Xbox 360 Controller

I like this controller due to it being visually appealing to me as well as very comfortable, which is very important for a mediocre gamer such as myself. As much as I struggle getting the hang of the controls when playing a video game in general, the last thing I need to do is fumble around and struggle getting a comfortable grip with the controller itself, and the Xbox 360 controller prevents me from having that problem. 

The Xbox 360 is also very versatile and I like how it can be compatible with use on a PC assuming that you have a wireless gaming receiver. You can also attach the Chatpad to the wireless controller to be able to talk with your friends online via the keyboard which was something I really liked.

RW9tueF.png?1

The face buttons (X, Y, B, A) are glossy and really stand out with their colors and I really like the "Guide" button being labelled with the Xbox logo, and is used to turn on the console/controller and to access the guide menu.  I also like how it is available in various colors via standard, limited and standard editions of the controller, including, but not limited to white, blue, purple, and even red.

gOffv50.png?1

I think all of the chrome controllers look really cool on top of the original black controller itself. smile.png

So yeah, this comfortable, visually appealing and versatile controller by means of the Xbox 360 is definitely my favorite. Bonus points to the Xbox 360 controller being durable as one has yet to break in my possession; even my destructive niece and nephews have failed to break one of these controllers so they must be pretty tough! happy.png

• Thumbs Up 5

Favorite controller...I think I'll go with something that I'm sure is going to be a bit uncommon among replies:

28cedld.jpg

Gamepad (Nintendo Wii U)

I really love the Gamepad. Despite being a bit larger than your average controller, it has a really nice feel to it and is easy to get a grip on no matter what position you're gaming in. (Such as me and my legendary "I'm not even going to bother getting up" stride.) Also, DAT OFF-SCREEN PLAY. For people such as myself who tend to play more handheld games because they like having something on the TV as background noise or would rather play a game in a more comfortable position, this feature is much appreciated and really opens up the possibilities for fun entertainment combos. Plus, it's not just limited to the games! You can watch Netflix, Youtube, and the works through it, so it can be the alternate media purveyor while you're playing another console! Only real fault I have with it is the charging cradle. It's so tiny compared to the actual device that it's easy to knock the Gamepad out of it. tongue.png Regardless, it's a different, multi-functional, just plain FUN little device that transcends simply being a controller. Looking forward to seeing what new ways future games plan on utilizing it.

• Thumbs Up 5

Adding onto the Gamecube, it's a bit of a shame that the Wavebird omitted Rumble. It's quite possibly the best wireless controller ever achieved and would have been 100% perfect if it was still intact. The battery is fucking incredible, that thing will go on for months.

Incidentally the battery seems to be something Nintendo actually took to heart when it comes to the Wii U Pro Controller. It's incredible how little frequent charging is required of it and it's quite frankly embarrassing that we're in this generation and the Wii U Gamepad and Dualshock 4 run low on juice so fast when those are the default controllers.

• Thumbs Up 3

Day 24: Explain why you don't love the GameCube Controller.

:v

I really like the controller of the Playstation series. Feels nice, easy to remember button placement, does not change much with the generations. What's not to like about the controller of Sony consoles?

Day 24 - Favorite Controller

My favorite controller, huh? Well, honestly, I’d say it’s an equal tossup between these two lovelies:

The Xbox 360 Controller

XBox360WirelessController.jpg

Simply put, this controller is ergonomic perfection. It’s perfectly built so that it fits my gorilla-ish hands like a glove. The buttons and sticks are arranged just right so that I can easily reach them without having to look down on them. The sticks in particular, with their grippy concave centers, are simply the best that any controller has to offer. Honestly, my only real hangup with this controller is that, with the wireless version, it relies on AA batteries instead of a built-in rechargeable battery. Otherwise, this controller is my go-to controller for my PC, as well as some of my general gaming. It’s awesome.

The Wii U GamePad

wii-u-gamepad-controller.jpg?af4e70

This lovely thing is also one of my favorites not only due to its being the closest thing to a portable console device that I’ve ever had the fortune to own, but also its sheer usefulness. Its button and sticks layout is also pretty good, although the analog sticks aren’t quite as lovely as those on the aforementioned Xbox 360 controller. Its built-in screen, coupled with its headset jack and volume slider, offers a lovely semi-portable experience with little fuss. In addition, its IR blaster also lets it serve as a dandy remote control: honestly, there have been times where I was just too lazy to find my cable remote, so I fired up the TV application and used it instead. My only real issue with it is its mediocre 3-5 hour battery life, and that can actually be remedied now with the availability of a 8-hour high-capacity battery. So, yes, I might be in the minority with this, but I really do love this controller. Not even the ergonomic lovely that was the Gamecube controller can quite match up with this.

• Thumbs Up 1

Quick response because I have to leave in a few.

playstation-4-dualshock-4-controller.jpg

Though I've only had it for two weeks now, the Dualshock 4 has really grown on me. The DS design was always the most familiar to me, due to being a longtime PS2 player. It has a nice design, built for comfort but also easy to control. My only real dislike for it is the share button, but only for the reason that I always hit because I'm always thinking of the select button.

...Okay, didn't expect a hardware question like this.

playstation-dual-analog-controller-1vkc-

Every Playstation controller ever since they got joysticks (Playstation 1/2/3/4)

Okay, so the reason I omit the first PS controller is mostly because I haven't used it. The Playstation One I got in 1998 had controllers with joysticks out the gate. To be honest, I've always prefered joystick control, so I likely wouldn't be fond of one with only a d-pad for direction. But ever since? The Playstation controller has always felt 'right' button placement makes sense, you know where everything is, it's easy to react to on-screen situations quickly with the configuration given to you. And ever since 1998, this really hasn't changed much. The PS2 was basically the later PS1 controller but with very minor improvements, the PS3 controller's biggest change was replacing the analogue button for a home menu button (it does have six-axis and feels a little heavier, but eh), and while the PS4 looks to have the most changes since the PS1 days, it still doesn't seem all that different from what was laid out 16 years before it. I don't think the design is going anywhere soon. 

I see everyone hopping on that Gamecube or Playstation Bandwagon, so I'm gonna be "that guy" and do something unconventional;

SNES.png

Gotta appreciate the classics some time. And damn is the SNES controller a classic. I like it simply because of how simple, yet complex it is. You technically only needed one or two buttons depending on the game, but for games like Killer Instinct, you use all four face buttons and its glorious.

Its flat, sleek and streamlined and I love it so much. Plus, its D-pad is one of the last good ones of its generation before the control stick took over. 

• Thumbs Up 1