Awoo.

30 Days of Video Games - BONUS: Why Do You Play Games Pg. 142

Sami

Day 24 - Favorite Controller

PDP-Ice-Bue-Tron-Xbox-360-Controller-544

Xbox 360 Controller

This one is just the most comfortable to me.  Best triggers, sticks that curve inward and prevent slipping unlike PS3 and Wii U, good buttons, and great shape and weight.  Though I will say that PS3 has an advantage in that it's the only controller that I feel equally comfortable using both the sticks and the D-Pad, whereas almost every other controller has one better than the other (usually sticks).

Day 24: Favourite Controller

Alright so I made but I forgot about one of my favourite controllers...

8t58HSf.jpg

The Bat Controller!

Cheetah made a range of character joysticks that worked on the Mega Drive and various other systems that were around at the time, and while they were quite impractical for actual use, they did look quite cool. There were also Bart Simpson and Terminator (my other favourite) versions and they do make nice display pieces in a collection even though you're never ever going to use them. And I do really like them for their novelty value.

Also I didn't mention this in my post earlier as I've never actually used it, but the Steel Battalion controller is quite an epic thing to look at. It also might be the most ridiculous controller of all time. But I so want to try it out sometime.

• Thumbs Up 3

Day 24 - Favourite Controller

DualShock4.jpg

Dualshock 4

This is the best controller ever made.

...This is the best controller ever made. 

Why yes, it is the best controller ever made.

I had read the stories about people saying how much they loved the controller and to be honest I didn't really pay much attention to them, a lot of people complained about the DS3, but other than the triggers I never really noticed or had many complaints about it.

Then I got my hands on a DS4 and played my first game... my god it was incredible. This is the first controller I have held which feels like it was made for gaming, it's so comfortable, the triggers are perfect and everything about it feels responsive and accurate. I really can't find anything to complain about it, it just feels perfect.

ps2re4chainsaw3wa.jpg

Resident Evil Chainsaw Controller

Holy chestnut balls on a squirrel! Look at this thing! This thing's start button is a ripcord which both powers up the controller and acts as the start button! The only thing I don't really like about it is that it gets a bit fiddly to reload and the vibration is a tad annoying, but for a display item and an experience, oh hells yes!

DSC001711-620x426.jpg

Steel Battalion Controller

Oh god I don't own this, but... look at it! How can I not want to own it! Look at it! You push 4 buttons to power the robot, and it even has an eject button! I wish I owned this, it's one of the few controllers I really want to try out, it just looks incredible.

P.S. 

Why has nobody mentioned this?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0BRCkFM2TaY

Or this....

1294085821-wutangcontroller.jpg

• Thumbs Up 3

I wonder if there's a least favourite question..

Favourite Controller:

I've been consistent in providing visual aid for most of my answers so far but it's kind of unnecessary here - yeah I'm with Team GCN too.

The controller is so comfortable, there is next to no learning curve for the button layout because every one is a different shape.  The Wii U Pro Controller is nice 

What he said..but to elaborate when I first held the Pro controller, it felt magical. Like it was prefectly moulded for my palms...but it may be nostalgia goggles here, but yes, Gamecube. It was my first controller and it seems there was a lot of thought put in this one to make evey button and stick distinct. I like how different it was having just a Z button. I like how tactile and clicky the sticks feel. Yes we've improved from there but it still felt great back then and now. It was go-to controlIer for even during the Wii era, be it for smash, sonic or TMNT. (I also liked how the DS4 went with GCN's boomerang shape as well..it felt great but I do not own one) I may not use it anymore due to the Wii U but I'll never forget it.

...I understand not having backward compatibility for Gamecube games but for the peripherals would be nice...specially for Smash U, amirite?

008.jpg

Special mention for the Virtua-On controller for the Dreamcast. Maaaaan, I loved playing that game on the arcade just boosting left and right felt great on those sticks..

• Thumbs Up 1

Day 24: Favorite Controller: 

gm_xboxc_blk_otherviews01.jpg

The Xbox 360's controller makes sense to me. The analog stick placement is good, and the sticks themselves are concave so your thumbs don't slip off. They also function as buttons (like most console controllers now), the triggers are nice, the bumpers feel good (although they are kinda prone to wear) and the buttons all feel responsive. The shape is pretty smart too- it feels natural for an adult to hold it in their hands. The only thing I can complain about is the D-pad which isn't well suited for 2D games- or any games for that matter. 

It's nothing revolutionary- it's just a refinement of what other controllers had done before. 

Should note I haven't gotten the chance to play with the PS4 or Xbone controllers. 

A lot of people saying the Dualshock 4. I haven't had the chance to try one yet, but I hated every previous Sony controller. Maybe this one really is different.

Day 24: Favorite Controller

XBOX360-controllers.png

I don't play a lot of Echsbacks, but I always use a 360 controller when I play games on Steam (unless it's a shooter). It's very ergonomic, it's comfortable to hold, I like the stick placement, and the buttons are all brightly colored and easily identifiable. It also works for me because I've got kind of big hands, so holding something like an NES controller or sideways Wiimote for a long time can get to be a bit much.

Yes, the D-pad is terrible, but only if you're playing a 2D game, in which case I use one of these. 

sfiv-x360-gamepad-ryu-5.jpg

Day 24 - Favourite Controller

Sega Saturn Controller - light weight, sturdy, responsive but not oversensitive. This things is just right to hold, it doesn't feel too heavy or chunky to hold, but it isn't too small. All the buttons are placed perfectly, great D-Pad. There is a reason people seem to want to pay tonnes for the official SEGA USB or PS2 versions, it is because the Saturn controller is awesome and rocks! :)

nKnZTgS.png

I know I'm basically beating a dead horse by mentioning this since there's a good number of posts on it already, but I really can't think of a controller that I've found better than this one. It's just a really well designed controller in my eyes because of the button layout and the way the controller itself is structured. All of the buttons have distinct shapes and positions, and everything on the controller is easily within reach, meaning you'll never have to contort your hands into weird positions for anything. What I also really like about it is how comfortable it is to hold. The analogue stick/C-Stick being really soft, the triggers having the indents to rest your fingers in, the smooth buttons and the well shaped handles on the bottom made holding it feel really natural, and unlike most other controllers, I never experienced any problems with holding this controller for extended periods of time. My only real gripe with it is there are better D-Pads out there, but it's still far from the worst.

• Thumbs Up 1

Day 24-Favorite Controller

Wii-U-GamePad.jpg

Wii U Game Pad

Finally a controller for my gigantic hands. This controller was made for me, it was destiny. The ergonomics are so perfect for me, that I never had that adjustment period that other people spoke of. No more cramping, no more holding the controller awkwardly with the very tips of my fingers. What really does it for me is the screen, though. People say it's a gimmick, but I'm not thinking about that when I can play Child of Light off the controller when my brother is asleep.

• Thumbs Up 7

gc_ctl_orange.jpg

This one, specifically, >:U. Blah blah blah, everyone loves the GCN controller, blah blah blah it's been posted to death, etc. But the orange one will always be the master of the master race controller. It's so quirky, just like the gamecube itself, and the fact that I was the only one I knew out of people that had one, it felt like my own special gamecube controller lawl. The controller itself regardless of color is just the most comfortable thing, and all the buttons and joysticks feel amazing. I'd say it's weak point is the C-stick sorta, but it's still not even bad.

Anyway sadly my official orange controller got mauled one day when I foolishly let a friend borrow it and had his dog chew it up over night since he left it on the ground. It wouldn't be such a big deal if they weren't extremely rare to find for a legit one, let alone if you're comfortable paying over a hundreds bucks for a color lmao.

• Thumbs Up 2

Day 23: Favorite (It vibrates so right!... what?) Controller

NES-custom-painted-xboxONE-controller.pn

Xbox One Controller

Yeah, a rather odd choice (especially around these parts it seems) but I'd be lying if this wasn't one of the most comfortable controllers I've ever held. After spending a considerable time (understatement of 2014) with the 360 controller this one came so naturally to me. From it's sleek and light weight design to it's simplistic button layout it is by far my favorite of the 3 nextcurrent gen controllers. After using this, the others just seem a bit convoluted at times (with some important buttons pushed to the way side). Not to mention it's amazingly accurate vibration motors (... there was really no way I could of word that better, sorry XD). I honestly can't wait for more games to come out on the system so I can use this thing on more than just Titanfall.

Day Numbero 24: The Movie: The Game: Ninja's "Unlike Kami I am not a cowardly quitter" Favourite Controller Ever

V9MDR2u.jpg

.......yeah....I got nothing to add.

1md3Gdn.jpg

The Xbox 360 controller felt in many ways like a nice mix of the Gamecube controller and the Dual Shock series, being fairly comftable to hold, having a nice button layout with Shoulder buttons that felt nice to push, wich in my Opinion made it great for ny Game that wasnt a Fighting game.

because thats really its only downfall, the D-Pad is probably just as Bad as the Gamecubes D-Pad maybe even worse.

altough like with the Gamecube, it wasnt that big of a deal in the larger picture, because for any non-fighting game the D-pad was just about fine anyway, so in the end, its a really neat controller wich I personally like alot.

Honorable mention goes to the Wii U Gamepad, for being again nice to Hold, having nice Shoulder buttons for nice pressing and Off TV play stuff, wich I like.

• Thumbs Up 1

gamepad-front-black.jpg

Wii U Gamepad

So yeah, the Wii U Gamepad. It's very comfortable to me, like dang. Man the way it's shaped is just really nice. The touch screen is pretty nifty feature, especially when it's integrated well, and the off-play it allows is really nice. The D-Pad on it is pretty great also, and the control sicks are nice. The shoulder buttons are great too. Man I mean, what can I really say, I just like it, and I like using it.

A close runner-up would be the Dualshock 2. Like with the Wii U Gamepad, I find this controller really comfortable, but for a different reason, that being it's compact. I choose the Dualshock 2 specifically because I've only ever used it and the Dualshock 3, which would be my favorite of the duo if it kept the 2's R2 and L2 buttons, so yeah.

But yeah man, the Wii U Gamepad and the Dualshock 2 are really gud controllers.

• Thumbs Up 4

And now begins the beautiful game of catch up! I've missed a few days so I have a bit of ground to cover. So without further ado...

DAY 22 - Favourite Artstyle

Y'know I can't really go into this without mentioning the beauty that is the Photo - Surrealistic Artstyle of Sonic the Hedgehog. It is my favorite videogame artstyle. I'll give special mention to Sonic Unleashed for a specific example. I think it will still hold up relatively well into the future as it feels like its own style...which it is. It's real, but it's not.

If I have to give a non Sonic example... I'll go with this:

catherine-video-game.jpg

Catherine's artstyle is here for more of a personal connection. Yeah I may be a sucker for cel - shaded graphics in general, but it translates over beautifully from the fantastic animation done by Studio 4°C. It's more of that realistic but totally stylized feel that I love seeing, and truth be told, it's a huge influence on the artistic style I want to establish. It's probably the lighting, as even a character's hair just pops out and captures your eye.

catherine-vincent-kissing.jpg

Needless to say, it's left quite an impression on me. Honourable mentions go to Okami, Rayman Legends and anything done by Vanillaware, as they are all delightful pieces of eye candy.

DAY 23 - Favourite Song

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gtSmFc-hHrw

Rooftop Run. Without a doubt. Now, this is actually a rather heart wrenching question, as my personal list of favourites is extensive. However, if there is any song that I have to mention, Sonic related or no, it's gotta be this one. It's just such a joyous piece. The rockin guitar, the pumped up drums, and the subtle merry of the strings really get me all giddy inside. It fills me with so much energy that I feel like doing something. More often than not it's running, but I also want to pump my fist, to dance, to jump up and down...almost as if I were a little kid again. It's like that feeling when you wake up and you feel the sun shining on your face, when you look up at the beautiful blue sky and that sense of joy just overcomes you...It's magical.

ONE honourable mention I'll make before getting carried away is Double Cherry  Pass for a very similar reason. I love the strings, and I love it's upbeat and go lucky nature . It actually reminds me a lot of Luigi, so much so that I consider it to be the unofficial theme of the Year of Luigi.

And now that I'm caught up, it's time for today's event:

DAY 24 - Favourite Controller

Argh...I knew I'd have to answer a question like this sooner or later. It's all out war between the Gamecube Controller, and the Dualshock PS3 Controller. Both are pretty comfy in my hands. I have fond memories with them, and both designs are pretty great. To which will go the spoils?

PS3_controller.png

This battle may end up differently when I eventually get my hands on a PS4, but the PS3 wins for now. Why? Well, it boils down to button layout for me. It may not be as personalized as the Gamecube, but it still is easy to get accustomed to the controller. The joysticks were also symmetrical and fell right at my thumbs, so it's feels really natural. Also, for what it's worth, the D pad feels much more convenient here because of it's placement. The D Pad of the Gamecube admittedly does feel more familiar, as most of my gaming career so far has existed on handhelds. Both are really great controllers, but I have to give that edge to the PS3.

And that's enough from me.

- Zavok

Day 24

Favorite Controller

sony-dualshock-4_zps23a05eb7.jpg

Dual Shock 4

I'll be honest, I don't really like Dual Shocks 1-3.  They feel very angular and stiff, the back L2 and R2 are atrocious (especially DS3, dear lord), the smooth round top analogue sticks feel awkward and my thumbs slip off them from time to time.  The D-pad is just... diagonal inputs are the fucking worst on it (and after playing Batman Arkham Origins recently, where some of Bat's more useful gadgets are mapped to those diagonal inputs... awful).  I'm generally able to tolerate the awful controllers, because Sony and co. deliver some quality games despite the controller's many flaws.

Then I saw the Dual Shock 4.

And it looked like a sexy beast to hold.

Then I held it, and my hands practically melted into it.  The controller feels rounded and fits my hands perfectly, the analogue sticks are indented and my thumbs don't feel like they could slip off of them at any moment, the d-pad actually feels like a pad despite sharing a similar look to the old Dual Shocks.

And, oh my god, actual R2 and L2 triggers.  I can actually shoot things without "fire" being awkwardly mapped to R1 because of how atrocious the old R2 was.  And it keeps some of the good things from the old Dual Shocks like placement of the sticks and buttons!

I don't even care about the giant ass touchpad in the middle man, all these other improvements are already enough to make this controller be new and great.

It's pretty much perfect.

Except for maybe the battery life, but that'll probably get fixed down the road.

wowcOt0.jpg?1

The DualShock

If it ain't broke, don't fix it. That's what Sony went with since they first introduced the DualShock, up until the 4th installment, at least. I've spent more time with any iteration of this controller in my hands than any other, so it holds a special place in my heart. Now that doesn't mean it didn't have its problems and most of them seem to be with the shoulder buttons, at least for me personally. I've lost many PS2 controllers because of the R2 and L2 buttons getting jammed, and my fingers always slide off of the PS3's, but along came the DualShock 4. It is legitimately the comfiest controller I've ever held. Not too big, not too small, just the right weight, everything just works and feels the way it's supposed to. Never had a problem with the analog sticks with the older DualShocks, but the indentations on 4's are much appreciated, as are the upward curve of the shoulder buttons. The DualShock 4 is definitely my definitive gaming controller.

I don't understand what the hell is wrong with you people. Especially all of you people saying Gamecube controllers. Have you ever tried to play anything that wasn't made by Nintendo on one of those? Fingers don't bend that way! There is one, simple, objective answer to this question of what the best controller is:

futuramas02e08001kinecweyi.gif

lol fingers don't "bend"

Serious answer to come in the morning if I wake up in time

Hint:

The Japanese Saturn controller

• Thumbs Up 3

DAY 24 - FAVORITE CONTROLLER

Nintendo_Gamecube_Black_Controller.JPG

67f94dc275ff94065e8ea2a0551d2775.png

The Gamecube controller really is my favorite controller to date, I really just have to choose it. No other controller has come close to offering the level of comfort I've felt when using the Gamecube controller. When playing games, it kinda... melds into my hands, offering a level of immersion no other controller has offered to me. It's awesome. Sure, it's not perfect, as you can see above. But for all its flaws, it's still my favorite.

FAVORITE CONTROLLER - DAY 24

548px-atari-5200-controller.jpg

Atari Controller

This controller is so comfy. It is so easy to use in platformers. Hell, I use it with my PC today. First person shooters give you a ridiculous advantage with this 360 joystick. And the number pad? THE NUMBER PAD. The number pad gives you way more buttons than a Wii Remote which allows you to map controls and have an easier experience. In a time of trouble, you can dial 9-1-1. Not only does it give you success in games, it also gives you success in real life.

If you're using any other controller, I demand you to stop using it. This is the only controller you will ever need in your life. Playing with friends and you're losing? No problem, just hit the reset button and look astonished when the system turns off. No one will even suspect it was you. Make sure to pause every 2 seconds too because a party is not complete until you become annoying.

#Atari4Ever

DAY 24 OF PRESIDENT CROW HOLDING CONTROLLERS!

Mine is a little different. Well because I'm gonna say...

2433198-doos3_zps3e0c2db8.jpg

The Prototype PS3 controller!

Remember this? GUUD TIEMS! I get that its a prototype controller and nobody had their hands on it but its still a controller right? Anyways if I remember right there was an outrage for this controller, mostly from being a radical change from the iconic playstation controller. There is a good reason why I'm picking this and that's because its so hilarious in design. Its just a giant boomerang that wouldn't be something far from something Batman would use. Its like Sony wanted us to throw our controllers and see if they would come back to us. Hell it would had saved me some problems since I have a tendency to throw my PS3 controller anyways. But I'll give it credit for at least looking pretty slick for such a silly design. I do wonder how this controller would had affected PS3 sales but we can only speculate now. Oh well.

UNTIL NEXT TIEM SSMB!

• Thumbs Up 6

I never... I get what they were trying to do. In theory, you would be able to hold it much like the 6-button Genesis/Saturn controllers, with your hands mostly resting on the front where the triggers are.

This is supported by the fanboy mockups that proved how awesome it was and how jealous 360 owners obviously were:

boomerang.jpg

But why. Why did they make it extend so far down? What was gained by blatantly restricting the player's hand movement? And why did they put PSP nubs on it when even by June 2005 everyone knew they were shit? There's a workable controller in that design, but Sony was being so stupid at the time that they didn't really care to find it.

• Thumbs Up 2

I remember when I first held a 360 controller in my hands at an EB Games in 2005, and nine-year-old me was just blown away by how smooth and comfortable it felt. Not long ago, I would probably have said that it's my favorite gaming controller of all time. But you know what? Having owned a PS3 for about six years now, I think I'm going to have to go with Ol' Faithful.

dualshock3.jpg

DUALSHOCK 3

Yeh.

I'm...not sure if I can explain my adoration for the Dualshock 3. Something about the Dualshock design has always clicked with me. Maybe it's just perfectly shaped for my hands or something. I don't know, I just...I love it. The Dualshock 3 is the same shape as all of the others, but the feel of it is so much better. The smooth-ishness of the analog sticks and the way the move around, the weight to it, and that big round PS button I love pressing so much. And I love the way you can actually pull the analog sticks out slightly and then push them back in without messing anything up. I dunno, am I the only one who likes to do that repeatedly? It's just kinda satisfying like. The only problem I can think of is that those triggers are a little off, but other than that, holding this controller is pure bliss. The PS3 was my favorite console of the last generation, and this delightful controller is one of the reasons why. Even going back to the Dualshock 2 feels kinda jarring because while it has the same awesome shape, the analog sticks just feel...floatier somehow. The Dualshock 3 is just the exemplar of tightness to me, and I adore it. Maybe if I were to experience the Dualshock 4, it would be replaced in my heart, but until then...

9UiL1se.gif

Oh, but I also love the GameCube controller too. Super nostalgic for me.

• Thumbs Up 1

TWENTY-FOUR HOURS A DAY OF NON-STOP FUN

~ You Are Now Playing with POWER! ~

PXZTF93.png

Day 24/30: Favourite Controller

Controller Selected: The Nintendo Gamecube Controller

"Born to play."

~Nintendo

...well, I don't really have much to say beyond what's already been said over and over in the thread already. Many, including myself, consider this to be the perfect controller, and it was also my own go-to controller for years on end, even after the Gamecube's life cycle came to an end. The handlebar shape made this comfy to hold, the L/R triggers are fun to sink your index fingers into, and, for me, the buttons and analog sticks were well placed for a guy like me with big hands.

...that's about it, save for nostalgia!

wii u gamepad is awesome tho

Okay, a rather simple one today. And I'll have to go for;

Wii U Gamepad

That's right, this thing. What can I say about the Wii U Gamepad? Well, I believe that the first thing I should say it's probably the most comfortable controller I've ever held. It just fits so snug in one's hands, yanno? The buttons are easy to reach and I find the touch screen in the middle to be a pretty nice touch. If only I had more games for the system so I can make better use of the controller. V_V

• Thumbs Up 2

gc_controller_black.gif

Yep, gotta go with the good ol' Gamecube controller. Anything I'd have to say has already been said, but I would like to add that I really liked the amount of diversity in colors this controller had. It's something I'm glad console controllers in general adopted.

So yeah, really comfortable, very nice layout, and #BlackGamecubeControllerFoLife.

Edit: I only now realized how ironic my hashtag is when I talked about color diversity. >_>