Awoo.

30 Days of Video Games - BONUS: Why Do You Play Games Pg. 142

Sami

I like this day.. and the selection is a tough one. But I'm going to go with something that may be surprising to some..

Day 26 - Favourite Console Generation

Generation Seven - 2004-2011(/2013)

438cc2fb7a12cc6b7facd8975fafffb3.png

Ignore that funky looking PS3 controller.. couldn't find any other pics of the whole group together like this. It may look overcrowded, but every single one of which was a genuinely fantastic console at one point or another.

Here we are, probably one of the longest gens in console history, and things got a bit more complicated this time due to consoles like the Wii having different power.. and consoles like the DS and PSP leaving stage left quite a few years before the home systems, giving the gen a really fuzzy "ending". Some people still think it's not over, but I say to those, people, HA!

"But SuperLink!" I hear you cry, "this generation just barely finished, and it's come to be the origin of so many of gaming's current problems!" and I hear you, I really do. The last few years have given a lot of gamers a lot to feel iffy about for many reasons, the gen transition from 7 to 8 has been difficult for many reasons like how developer attitudes to pricing and controlling their games are changing.

But.. while 7th gen was at the peak of its brilliance, I loved it! For the first 5 years especially (man this gen was long) it was a good show of new ideas both good and bad, and sure we began to see less genre diversity but we also began to see real greats coming out of other genres. The main reason I chose 7th gen isn't because of the entire gen, but because of a few things that were just too great to not mention, and it felt like at its peak 7th gen was the time to be a gamer.

Look at it this way, from around 2007-2009 perhaps. DS' library was exploding with greats, and Nintendo's first handheld competitor the PSP was also going from strength to strength unexpectedly, giving people around the world tons of great RPGs and handheld ports of loved games. The Wii wasn't just hype for its exciting control method that got everyone bouncing with Wii Sports, but we were now also getting games like Mario Galaxy, Smash Bros., and Mario Kart. It wasn't just hype, it was getting some seriously good games too, some of which (Mario Galaxy) many gamers believed to be amongst the greatest pieces of video game software ever produced. The PS3 was picking up speed, the 360, you know the system by that company who's obsessed with power and controlling everything, even that console was a genuinely great thing to own with plenty of original titles and good value for money.

7th gen was fantastic because, for a few years, you could not make a bad decision. There was no bad decision to make. Especially around the time the PS3 got its price drop and rebranding, it was a genuinely wonderful time to be a gamer, it was a wonderful time to be a multiconsole gamer. There were no losers. Every system was successful, every fan was a winner no matter which side they took, if any. Companies like Capcom, Konami and Square, remember those guys? Would make their big games and their on-the-side games by the dozen, we had new "classic" Mega Man games, new 2D Castlevanias, remakes of old FF games and original games like TWEWY. Fighting games even got a great resurgence thanks to Capcom! They kicked popularity off again with SF4 and then kept it up by localising niche fan favourites like Tatsunoko Vs Capcom for nothing more than the fans. You had great games pouring out of every crevice, they just kept on coming (*coughespeciallyontheDScough*) and showed no real signs of stopping..

Unfortunately, many good things come to an end, and I don't think Gen7 ended on a fantastic note. Many people would tote games like The Last of Us as proof that Gen7 was good right up to the end, but Gen8 had already begun by then and if anything, games like TLOU were a swan-song. Towards the end of Gen7, all this shit that gamers are currently annoyed about, started (some had been in the background for a while already). On-disc DLC became too rampant to ignore, developers more and more stopped developing a variety of games to concentrate on "AAA" blockbusters, some could balance it (Ubisoft) and some couldn't (Capcom, Square, THQ.). We lost tons of support for great franchises, we started having to pay more, for less.. sometimes even for ingame features (microtransactions..). Online 360s started to become overcrowded with ads while their games were sidelined. People started to not care about fantastic handheld systems anymore, handhelds stopped getting as much support. That is what's killing gaming for me.

And while some 8th Gen offerings like the PS4 are "solid", and "trustworthy", there is an undeniable sense of unease within all of gaming lately, one that just didn't exist in mid-7thGen when almost everything was wonderful.

Maybe 7th Gen is just proof that if things become too good, they crash down afterwards.

Also, honourable mention to 6th Gen for all those fantastic original games, I feel like that was a gen where game quality, variation and output was more almost important than success to developers.

• Thumbs Up 7

Day 26: 6th Gen

800px-Sixth_generation_era_game_controll

The 6th Generation was a huge transitional stage for video games. Sega was out, Microsoft was in. The number of games skyrocketed (PS1's 1000 game releases to PS2's 3000) After the 90s' honeymoon with 3D, the sixth gen is where things really got interesting and the potential of games became really clear. Also I would just like to point out how amazing 2004 was. Metal Gear Solid 3, Half-Life 2, Metroid Zero Mission, Grand Theft Auto San Andreas, Paper Mario 2, Halo 2, Pokemon Fire Red/Leaf Green, Metroid Prime 2, Tony Hawk's Underground 2, Pikmin 2, World of Warcraft, Nintendo DS- I don't think a single month went by without at least one of the best games in history coming out that year.

I'm guessing the 7 seventh gen? What's the rest before Nintendo or Sega? Idk.

It was the time were I had Wii, Xbox 360 and ps3. Oh and DS and PSP

I had all my wanted games from each console, used them all a lot.

For Wii, I had many games I had my Mario games, not so much Sonic. I only got Sonic riders zero gravity for a bit only because I didn't have the PS2 as anymore. I had brawl, Mario kart, Mario party 8 and 9 both really fun games. Donkey Kong country returns. Mario sports games like Mario strikers charged, Mario tennis, Mario super sluggers. Also had Super Paper Mario which was great. I missed some games but its too much to mention.

Nintendo Ds had some good games like New super Mario Bros, Mario kart DS, Sonic chronicles.

Oh fuck of course Sonic colors for wii, duhhh. Good ass game. I also enjoyed Sonic unleashed for Wii but that was the time I didn't knew about an HD version.

For 360, I mainly was halo series and gears of war. Had Halo 3 and Halo reach. Enjoyed the heck out of them. I absolutely loved Forge mode! I did so many shenanigans on that mode and made some crazy fun decent maps.

I also had the crash of the titans on 360. An okay game but its not crash. Bring back my platforming crash. For gears of war, I just loved the story and killing the monsters was pretty cool. The online was okay.

I had my GTA 4 on this system and the memories playing that game, had so much fun. Although it was a bit of a disappointment because after playing San Andres, I felt GTA 4 was a stepdown, it didn't have that much stuff to do as much as San Andres. But still enjoyed it.

Ps3 is were I mostly play my boosting sonic games. Although I first got unleashed at the time we were waiting for sonic generations so I was able to play both games and have a lot of fun with them.

Then there was call of duty. My god the many people that played this game at the time I knew this was a thing. Especially when black ops came out. I had interest in it mostly because of zombies. But the many hours I've spent on black ops 1 zombies and multiplayer. Mostly because I've found these awesome guys only who liked zombies and multiplayer and they were great guys, very fun to play with and I still have their PSN but I don't even know how long its been since I talked with them. They were my main people though when playing Black ops 1.

Black ops 2...I really liked it but I didn't get the same feeling of joy from it. Maybe its because I got a Wii U around spring and that was the time I just stopped using the PS3.

PSP, not much from this system. I had one Megan game on here, the maverick hunter one. The best one I had was the amazing Sonic Rivals, holy crap this game was fun I spent a lot on this game. It had great level design and had a good pace. I also had GTA liberty city stories, some need for speed game and a few more.

I believe that's it.

Edit: holy fuck....my post is long. I was tryna do it short. Oh well.

Special mention to the Wii U, holy crap, I love it! I got a decent amount of games on this console. Nintendo land, NSMBU, NSLU, Sonic lost world, Game&Wario, Rayman Legends, Donkey Kong Tropical Freeze, Super Mario 3D World (well not anymore), Mario&Sonic 2014 winter games, Pikmin 3 and soon to be MARIO KART 8 IN 4 DAYS!!!

Also a mention to the 3DS, I also love this handheld, I rejoined this system sometime earlier this year. I had NSMB2, Luigi's Mansion 2, Mario & Luigi Dream Team, Mario Kart 7, Pokemon y and Kirby triple deluxe. And this summer I might get Tomodachi due to money problems. But for sure smash bros on the 3ds this summer. All these games were a joy to play and I don't regret buying any of them.

Day 26 - Mambo's Favourite Gen

This was the first console that meant a lot to me personally;

IM%20MEGADRIVE2%203.jpg

I had  this model, in a box very much resembling this one! It included Sonic 2 and Mega Games 2. It was my favourite thing ever when I was a kid, I loved it... and played it for many years, even way into the Saturn and Dreamcast era. The Mega Drive is responsible for a lot of fond memories and it still very much has a place in my heart.

However, for the first few generations of consoles I only stuck to one type; I had a Master System and a Mega Drive. I was a Sega girl! I never owned a Nintendo, Atari, Commodore etc... (I had an Amstrad but it was more like a computer than a console! My mum got it for me as she considered it "educational"!)

So my favourite generation is probably the last one;

ps3xbox.jpg

... mostly because this generation occured as I was becoming an adult; suddenly I could make my own choices, I could buy my own consoles, buy my own games. Beforehand they were all gifts, and as a kid I really only had a few games, and they were ones my mum approved of... sort of... XD

By this era, I had a better understanding of what the consoles could do, I had a better idea of what kind of games there are out there, my collection of games is more diverse. I also have the experience of playing different kinds of console, I am not just limited to just one... not that these days they are all that different... apart from the Wii, perhaps.

I love 16 Bit games (Blast Processing, dudes!) but the way technology has progressed in leaps and bounds, today's games are too amazing to dismiss... and since this stuff is now all last-gen it's gonna get a bit cheaper for me, too! (Being a poor student!!) I am really, really reluctant to make the leap to PS4 and I think part of it is the expense, the expansion into other media makes it seem less like a console and more like a Sky TV box(!) and because the last gen was just so damned good, I'm still happy with it.

• Thumbs Up 1

The console generation I am most fond of? I would have to say Fourth Gen. When I had my Mega Drive it felt like a big jump from my Master System (I was slightly brhind at first), I Love my Master System but has to be said that the memories of Mega Drive as my console of the fourth gen. are great. SEGA were on top then, or at least in my little world they were. Most of my friends also had a Mega Drive, we used to all go round to each other's houses with our games and play on Mega Drive for hours. I never heard too much of the competitors until the fifth gen, when N64 and PS1 came along and fought the Saturn. Back in the fourth gen. the games were graphically great for 2D titles, but everything felt simple in a good way. That is not to say I don't like 3D - it is great. But back then it was all about good gameplay - nowadays there is too much focus on either realism or hardware gimmicks, or even online multiplayer. The main game/story mode often becomes a secondary thing, which is sad.

Day 26: Favourite Console Generation.

Gonna have to go with Gen 6 here. Gamecube and GBA were really great consoles to have back then and Sonic was the shit! Regardless of what you think of the games now, back then everyone pre-ordered every Sonic game and they were marketed to hell and back! We had pre-order goodies with almost every Gamecube release, Sega showed a lot of love for the series back then. Now? Sega couldn't even care less. I really miss those days.

I get on here, and I witness a few comments that I'd like to address right off the bat:

Superlink:

Idc that you hate Peacock but I wonder how u'd feel if you were a girl and were surrounded by fighting games that regularly shoved their masculine-superiority in your face and might not enjoy playing a game where your own gender is relegated to a game solely known of and spoken about for its breast physics (and you know what? I personally, still don't see how that "actually appeals to guys" because to me it's just embarrassing to see female characters relegated to that). What the hell is the problem in having a game that is gendered in a way you're not used to when girls don't exactly like how 99% of games are gendered towards male players? Especially when ~50% of the gaming population are female and they are still lucky to get one in a hundred female-focused games that don't demean the hell out of their sex/gender and can actually be a good enjoyable game in their own right.

Fair enough that you dislike Peacock but you barked up the wrong tree with that comment. You have no right to villify a game's existence that the developers and fans poured so much love and money and soul into just because it doesn't appeal to you specifically.

You have a point in that the game may not cater to me specifically, and I apologize if my comment regarding Skullgirls as a game  and it's presentation really offended you, but in my eyes, the game did not portray females in a way that's supposed to be taken dead seriously, hence my off the wall comment regarding DOA. The game does have real soul behind it, I will admit it, but from what I've played, I just saw girls acting all weird and silly in the fight scenes itself that I was really questioning myself if this was intending as a mockery of women despite it's presentation or something to be taken for face value. I've seen female protagonists in games that are meant to be taken seriously like Samus Aran, and from what I've seen Lara Croft in the remake seems to be not so much fanservice than as a actual good female lead. (Don't quote me on that, I haven't played that. Point is, my post wasn't meant to demean women.

My sincere apologies.

Senator NinjaShark:

so what you're saying is you dont like Skullgirls because it doesnt show off Gratutious Tits and Ass its Deep Plot and instead plays the Female's as Real Characters, have I got that right?

If you're talking about the likes of Valentine, Ms. Fortune, Filia, eh.....

Double and Painwheel I can agree with you on that statement. DOA to me is mostly just jokey stuff, and I don't take offense with the males being treated like crap in there either.

Now, with that out of the way:

Day 26: Most favorite console generation?

Wikipedia_SNES_PAL.jpg
4th generation consoles.

I don't know much about console generations, I just look it off Wikipedia for quick knowledge. I grew up with the SNES and I still love most of the games on the library. They may have mostly been 2D platformers/fighters, etc., but back then they really pumped out good 16-bit software, and while the N64/PS1 era was also good, I still find the 16-bit Genesis/SNES era to be the most memorable in my eyes.

Day 26: Best Console Generation

This is a quite hard question for me since I spent most of my gaming life as a PC gamer (and I'm sure last time the question was which was my favorite console, which let me use PC as an answer) and ever since the PS1 I haven't ever bought a console (thanks RL friends for covering me up in some console gaming experiences!) but if I had to pick one would be back in the day when I got to see a boom in video games that would (and in some cases are) revered as must play pieces. Classics if you will.

video-games-as-an-art-form-410.jpg

6th Gen (I don't even know what some of these are lols)

CHECK OUT THE CONSOLES! WOAAAAAAAH!

Back when I was young and I was realizing about my love for pixels and polygons I started to hear about the Dreamcast, back then I wasn't aware of SEGA's situation and I guess I didn't care either, I was very surprised by it's ability to play games like an Arcade with little to no loading time and while I wasn't able to tell much difference I guessed 128 bits of power stomped all over the PS1's 32 and Nintendo's 64 (:V)... I was a very stupid teenager back then, sorry for that! tongue.png

But yeah, I was in love with that piece of hardware! Sadly I couldn't afford one, and I wouldn't be able to do so during the console's lifespawn... But still, the Dreamcast was awesome and it was house to pieces of work like this ones:

Dx.jpg

dreamcast-39218-41320378101.jpg

powerstoneV2.jpg

Jet%20Set%20Radio%20HD%20an%C3%A1lisis%2

91890989.jpg

1222039303_745092_500x373.jpg

272020090510103240.jpg

I'm aware most of this pictures are ports BTW but you get the idea :V

Also, since I never had a DC the last 3 games are experiences I enjoyed in other platforms, but they were also part of the DC lineup so...

I'd have some other encounters with the 6th Gen but those were random and spare (and truth to be told, I only remember excessively playing Tekken 3 in one of my friend's houses)

I guess my love for the gen comes from now that I'm old all grew up and I can truly appreciate what it brought to the table, the last years of SEGA in the console market also showcased some of its most creative titles (that would later go to other consoles), online gaming was starting to become a thing (back when people played with 56k connections) and thanks to Sony DVD players would become the standard for all our gaming needs.

Microsoft, Nintendo and Sony's entries on the market would mostly go over my head for years but now that I look back and see the titles Clover Studio developed, and the impact franchises like Halo, GoW and games like Smash Brothers: Melee would have to their genres is something worth talking about.

Also, while not my cup of tea GTA's jump to 3D (but mostly for titles like Vice City and San Andreas) would become some of the most popular games in my country, enjoyed both by adults and kids who really liked the idea of running around the streets and being a dick to everyone... (My country lacks a bit in the adult supervision department)

As for the games I've actually played, Both Starcrat and Red Alert 2 and their expansions would be released around this years, which would eat away all the free time I didn't spend playing Counter-Strike (another game/mod released during this gen) or tinkering with emulators.

Maybe I'm blinded by nostalgia or maybe it's because back then I was a teenager and had all the time in the world, but when I think about what was the best time to be a gamer I can only think about those years.

I didn't want to answer this because, in reality, I don't have a favourite generation. It's not that it's hard to choose a favourite; I just don't have one. But since every question must be answered, I'll just pick one that I, and several others, enjoyed a lot, the 6th console generation.

original_xbox.jpgimg-45-298679-original-01.jpgnintendo-gamecube-game-console-black.jpg

A lot of good games came out for these three consoles. Metal Gear Solid 3 was arguably the best in the franchise. Halo practically revolutionized shooters as a whole. Shadow Of The Colossus is still one of the best narratives we have today. Spider-Man 2 was one of the best superhero games until Arkham Asylum came around. All the licensed games I loved so much. There are a lot of examples to give here, and even if I don't think any generations is particularly the best, I can say this was one of the more fun ones.

Hmm, this one's a toughie. I've only been alive to experience... two? console generations I believe. But, like, I dunno the fondest one is the 

7th Console Generation

Why? Well, I could go for number 6 for being the most nostalgic and for having awesomeness such as the Gamecube and GBA, but quite frankly I just loved the 7th gen a lot more. There was something about that gen, specifically the Wii and DS that just amazed me. Yeah the DS was out since 2005, but that was the year I got my GBA soo... eh I didn't experience the DS until I got the Lite model along with my Wii in summer of 2007. The motion controls of the Wii and the touch screen capabilities of the DS, along with games like Super Mario 64 DS blew my mind. I swing the remote and my character reacts?! Woah! I can touch the screen and control my character? In a 3D space!? Holy cow! 

And it wasn't just the technology I'm fond of. It's the games. Mario Galaxy was a fantastic game for the Wii, pushing the graphical capabilities and presented fantastic story telling. And Pokemon Pearl was my first ever Pokemon experience and I really have some fond memories of playing it on my DS. Man, the hours I spent playing multiplayer battles and exploring the underground with friends. Ah. And that's not all. The Wii was actually my portal to experiencing many game franchises for the first time, including Mario Party, Sonic, Zelda, and Paper Mario. Yeah I had a Gamecube and GBA but I got those around the end of their life cycle, when mostly shovelware was coming out, so my library was never too big on those consoles. The DS and Wii are what really pulled me into the world of video games, and to me that justifies it being the best generation. Amazing technology, great games, and a gateway into new unexplored franchises. 

205-h_main-w-624x275.png

I guess I'll go with the seventh generation. SuperLink's post has basically already gushed above and beyond why this generation was great, so this is mostly for my own personal reasons. I think this generation is where I really went and became more of a "gamer", so to speak. Before this I used to just pick up titles I would see in my local game shops if I had the console and play, but during this generation I really started looking at everything - initial announcements, hardware models, comparing competition, first and third party games, and much more. I became much more involved within the video game industry during this age of consoles and it delivered plenty of titles from existing franchises or completely new ones that I still love such as Mario Galaxy, inFAMOUS, Batman Arkham, Uncharted, Rayman, Skyward Sword, Smash Bros, Pokemon, Spider-Man, Mario Kart, LittleBigPlanet... and I also think this generation has helped me to be more thoughtful and involved full in this next generation of consoles also.

Seventh Generation

I like the other generations of course

With the exception of the pixelated 1st 2nd and 3rd.

Videoman_(Earth-8107)_0004.jpg

Thanks for ruining my gaming childhood, VideoMan.

but judging by the amount of games I like from each generation, the Seventh wins.

I have tons of wonderful game for the Nintendo DS and some for the PSP (with Ape Escape P and Street Fighter Alpha 3 taking the cake)

I don't have any of the home consoles but I enjoyed and still enjoy watching Let's Plays on YouTube of their games.

I'm torn between Fourth Generation because of the SNES and Mega Drive, the Fifth Generation because of the N64, PlayStation and Saturn and Sixth Generation because of the Dreamcast, GameCube and PlayStation 2.

I think I know which one to pick, but it was a tough one.

Day 26: Fav. Console Generation

dreamcast-jsr-gum-01.jpg

Sixth Generation

I've already gone into detail as to why I like the DreamCast. But my choice is also influence by the GameCube and the PlayStation 2. It was probably the last generation were I actively got excited over the releases and would get them on launch day. That magic has long gone and shows no sign of returning in these current generations.

Even though the DreamCast was my favourite, I had the GameCube and PlayStation 2 to fall back on, when the sad news of the DreamCasts demise was public knowledge. The GameCube kinda became the surrogate DreamCast as Sonic Adventure 2: Battle and Crazy Taxi was some of the launch titles for it. Add to that, Luigi's Mansion and two new franchises called Burnout and Super Monkey Ball and I'd say it's a pretty strong launch line up.

Burnout_%28video_game%29.jpg

This generation brought some new franchises that I would stick close to, for the following years. Burnout and Super Monkey Ball as I already mentioned as well as SoulCalibur that first came to the DreamCast. Then I'd enjoy SoulCalibur 2 on GameCube and finally Soul Calibur 3 (My personal favourite out of the entire franchise.) on the PlayStation 2.

But something else that stood out in these years was a sequel to an amazing title with impressive graphics and a cast that became twise as big as the original game. I could only be talking about this -

2343603-2217710-box_ssbm.png

Suddenly Mario fans could beat up Peach for continuously being captured all the bloody time. You could recreate a Legend of Zelda final battle, with Zelda, Link and Ganondorf, you get to kick butt as the legendary and totally badass Pokemon Mewtwo, and the west gets the first proper taste of a franchise called Fire Emblem.

The GameCube also brought a sequel to a sadly overlooked N64 game, as it originally came out near the end of the consoles life time.

That being the awesome Paper Mario and the Thousand Year Door. It brought everything the original had if you were like me and had unfortunately missed the opportunity to get your hands on it. A mistake that could be rectified in the next generation, but that's not what I should be talking about it.

The GameCube also let me play a "Tales of" game for the first time. This one was Tales of Symphonia. I loved it so much, I'd eventually learn about the franchise and be able to track down some more of them, that mostly called the PlayStation 2 it's home. Burnout Revenge would become my favourite in that franchise and be another game to my PlayStation 2 collection, along side some other PS2 greats like Devil May Cry 3, GTA 3, (The only game in the franchise I enjoyed.) Shadow of the Colossus, Ico and a large number of awesome JRPGs.

As the years go by, more DreamCast titles would show up. Chu Chu Rocket would come to handhelds, Shenmue would show up on X-Box and Skies of Arcadia would be remade for GameCube.

All in all, there was much to love and perhaps a magic that was present at this time, is no longer around. It is unfortunate though, that this generation lacked something great that the previous 2 I mentioned had.

RarewareLogoOld.jpg

It lacked the greatness that would usually come from Rare. So out of all the good that this generation had, it was probably the first to see the slow demise of something that was once great...

• Thumbs Up 2

Favourite Generation

Seventh Generation:

I'm saying this because I loved every console and play this gen quite a lot. While I love every console from a few other gens, I don't come back to them as much. Started with a Wii, it introduced me to this gen and I had a lot of fun playing on the console. Next I got a 360, which showed me even more, a boat load of new genres and series, and the PS3, which was like coming home to my old gens, with me playing PS1 and PS2 a lot. As for the handhelds boy did they come in handy. I got a DS, and took it everywhere, because it was my first proper handheld experience, and the PSP gave me an even broader selection of games to take me away when I was out. I just love them all.

Day 26 -  Favorite Console Generation

The only true answer, the 6th generation.

0Vnj6E7.png

1998 to basically 2009 where the best years the world of video games ever had in my opinion. You had 3 (4 for some time) consoles to choose from, all with great games and lots of amazing exclusives.

The Dreamcast for a couple of years was the perfect machine to play arcade games, especially fighters like Marvel vs Capcom 2, Street Fighter 3 and Power Stone, not to mention some great Sega exclusives like Shemnue, Sonic Adventure, Phantasy Star Online, Jet Set Radio and Crazy Taxi.

If you were a Nintendo fan, the Gamecube was basically heaven with some titles like Metroid Prime, Paper Mario: The Thousand-Year Door, Animal Crossing, Pikmin and Super Smash Bros Melee.

The Playstation 2 was the king with new exclusive IPs like Ratchet and Clank, Sly Cooper, Jak & Daxter, God of War, Shadow of the Colossus and of course the amazing third party support with games like Final Fantasy X-XII, Devil May Cry, Metal Gear Solid 2/3 and much more.

The "new kid" Xbox also had a great library with Halo, Forza, Fable, Ninja Gaiden and of course Rare titles like Conker: Live and Reloaded.

The 6th gen was incredible, so many games to play. It was such a good time to be a video games fan.

Man this is super tricky to answer.  Pretty much every console generation that I was around for has special memories for me.

5th doesn't really "count" because while it is my most sentimental time, what I really mean is "The N64" - I didn't own any other consoles from this generation.

6th was also awesome and had so many great games, though again, I only had a Gamecube, so I didn't gain an appreciation for games from other consoles until playing them in retrospect.

So I guess my answer would be 7th.  The 7th generation was the first time I owned all the currently most active consoles - Wii, 360 and PS3, I discovered the joys of indie games, and the benefits of PC gaming too.  It was generally a time of discovery and open-mindedness for me where I put away childish concepts like being loyal to one company alone or being snobby about certain genres as "all being the same".  Granted, through this experimentation I have confirmed dislikes of mine that were previously based on disinterest, but I also discovered so many new gaming experiences too and came to appreciate it for the art form that it is more than ever.

As a bonus, this generation also had a huge surge of ports, remakes, and backwards compatibility, so I got to experience and re-experience all sorts.

Day 26: Favorite Favorite Favorite Console Generation

0.jpg

Sixth Gen

Some of this is admittedly due to me growing up in that period, but the sixth-generation was just honestly an excellent time for videogames. Sony's astounding variety, Nintendo's excellent exclusives, and Microsoft's... uh, Halo were all amazing, and one was privy to the finest selection of games this side of the SNES - Genesis war. You had Wind Waker, Luigi's Mansion, GTA, Tales of Symphonia, Persona 3 and 4, Final Fantasy XII, Paper Mario: The Thousand Year Door, Smash Bros. Melee, Metroid Prime, Jak and Daxter, Ratchet and Clank, friggin Shadow of the Colossus, and so, so much more. Really hard to name anything that everyone else hasn't already covered, so I'll be wise and take a bow here, with this as my pick of the day.

Runners Up:

• Fifth Gen
  • Fourth Gen

Day 26: Favorite Console Generation

Hmm this is between Generation 6 and 7 for me.

Generation 6 had the GC, a console which holds a special place in my heart, and the first HOME console I ever owned. It had amazing games like Super Smash Brothers Melee, Super Mario Sunshine, Starfox Adventures, Starfox Assault, Mario Kart Double Dash, Simpsons Hit and Run, Mario Party, Luigi's Mansion, Wind Waker (and OoT Master Quest bundle) and Gotcha Force. I had many a good time playing games with my sister, brother and friends with this console. Also this generation had the amazing PS2 and xbox aswell (of which I never owned either).

Generation 7 gave us the Wii, 360 and PS3, all amazing consoles. Again I only owned a Wii and had many a great time playing things like Metroid Prime Trilogy, Mario Galaxy 1 and 2, Wii Sports, Wii Sports Resort, Mario Kart Wii, Okami, Super Smash Brothers Brawl and Super Paper Mario. This generation has been the only one where I have actually wanted to get a second console (a 360 if anyone is getting rid of one) to play other games that I may be interested in.

Hmm, I think Generation 7 has to win it slightly for me, being the only generation so far where I have wanted to buy more than one console.

Day 26: 7th Gen

Don't really have an answer to this per say but I'd have to say 7th gen because of the Wii? Owned a gamecube but I mostly stuck to the same games sooo..*coughSA2B*

It links to next gen experience question cos' picking up and using the controller was an experience within itself. and the hours of fun I've had with my friends shouting. swinging, swerving, punching and swearing is something to remember. There were loads of party games on this thing..some good and some bad..To me 6th gen looked attractive but I was'nt involved with it too much. As a recent owner of the PS3 I can't speak for that too much either. It's great but I kinda would like to go back to steam..and the controller..urgh.

Sorry, just not feeling this question.

Day 26: Favourite Generarion

7th Gen

This is the generation where I really got into gaming. There were a lot of great games in this generation, even more so than some previous ones. Both the 360, Wii, and PS3 were all great systems with great libraries of games. Some notable releases include Halo 3 and Reach, Sonic Unleashed/Colours/Generations, GTAV, The Last Of Us, and a lot more that I can't name from the too of my head.

Honourable mention goes to 4th gen and 6th gen, as they were what got me started on gaming.

I do believe I shall pick Gen 6:

tumblr_mcu31qZTll1rpxko1.jpg

Both the SEGA Dreamcast and Nintendo GameCube, two of my most favorite systems ever, were birthed out of this era. The technology was advancing, the music was improving, and the graphics.... let's say that it was the first time 3D games didn't look, well...

503c209c92d6b.jpg

gfs_42936_2_7.jpg

And instead looked like...

30657-super-mario-sunshine-gamecube-scre

0003_sonic_adventure.jpg

huge step up!

If anything else, some of my most favorite games came from this era, so there's that.

Long live Gen 6!

Day 26: Era memories

Jesus, this one's tough... I have so many fond memories of the past three generations that it's hard for me to pick one.

I think in terms of where a lot of my favorite games lie, it'd probably be in the...

banner.jpg

REN'S FAVORITE CONSOLE GENERATION: SEVEN

It was a really tough toss-up between this one and generation six, but I got to thinking about a lot of my favorite games that were a part of these systems. I didn't think much of these systems at first, but the more it went on, the more I started to love it. Now here come specifics.

I never had a 360, but there were a couple of cool games that came out for it. Examples: Dance Central, Dead or Alive 4, Halo series, etc.

PlayStation 3 is one of my favorite consoles honestly. I've had mine since 2009, and all the exclusives I've gotten to play were wonderful. Tales of Xillia, BlazBlue: Chronophantasma, The Ratchet & Clank games, all those glorious collections, and much much more.

The Wii, although short-lived, had its fair share of quality titles. Tatsunoko vs. Capcom, No More Heroes 1 & 2, MadWorld, Sonic Colors, The Mario Galaxy games, yeah.

The DS...oh man the DS. Loved it. The World Ends with You, Elite Beat Agents, those two Bleach fighting games, New Super Mario Bros, Pokemon games, Pictochat memories yeaaaaaaaah.

The PSP was pretty sweet too. Died off a bit fast in America, but Japan kept the party going. There was Patapon, Dragon Ball Z Shin Budokai, Tekken Dark Resurrection, and tons of Japanese exclusives that I wish I could play.

And I can't forget some of my favorite Multiplats: Rock Band, Bayonetta, Metal Gear Rising, Street Fighter 4, BlazBlue, King of Fighters XIII, Anarchy Reigns, Portal 2, etc.

Yeah, this was probably one of the hardest questions I've had to answer.

• Thumbs Up 2

Time to do some catching up:

Day 24 - Favorite Controller

GameCube_controller.png

No doubt the best. The GC controller is so perfectly shaped to fit in your hand that I don't know how any other controller could ever top it in that respect. The buttons are so intuitive that I don't know why four equally sized circles in a diamond is so standard today. That's not bad, and it may be so small of a difference that it seems insignificant but something about it just felt so much better. I nearly have to tie it with the 360 controller though, which comes close to matching it ergonomically and has the bonus of more versatility, but it just doesn't quite feel as great.

Day 25 - Least Favorite Character

This isn't something that I really have much of an opinion on. Characters that are meant to be hated are fantastic, and characters that are bad tend to not bother me much when all's said and done. I could whine about Samus in Other M but I am so much more than tired of even thinking about that game. I'm pretty much bullshitting this.

442Spiritomb.png

Fuck spiritomb. Nice design, nothing all too special. Cool backstory! The whole concept behind it is neat.

But fuck spiritomb. Whoever decided the method of getting this thing was out of their mind and it makes it even more frustrating of a pokemon to obtain than event legendaries because at least those aren't mandatory for the pokedex. I was so desperate to get this fucker - it was the last pokemon I needed for the pokedex - that I did the entire process by myself and it was the most stupidly arduous thing I've ever had to deal with.

Day 26 - Favorite Console Generation

And this is even more something that I just don't have any real words to offer for. I'm admittedly not into video games enough to pay attention to much other than Nintendo consoles and PC games my friends introduce me to, so the best I can do here is pretty much "best Nintendo console." I guess with that said I'd go with the DS and whatever generation that's from. The DS has to be Nintendo's best effort to do something different. The Wiimote felt tacked on to some games, even making a few outright worse for it (e.g. Twilight Princess compared to its GC counterpart), the 3DS's 3D is mostly pointless, and the Wii U gamepad has yet to do anything too particularly amazing while also being entirely useless in a number of games, but the DS's touch screen always felt like an excellent addition.

• Thumbs Up 1

todos-os-consoles-de-128-bits.jpg

Generation 6

Pretty much the pinnacle of gaming innovation. The GC/PS2/XBox era brought forth the most diverse and creative games ever produced, and was the last generation that was all about the games, and not the systems you play them on. Every system had a huge library with something for everyone, and in those times, you bought a system because it had the games you wanted to play, not because it didn't have whatever cumbersome gimmick the other systems had.

Just about every classic franchise reached it's stride during this era and just as many new IPs were born here, many of which stand alongside the old-timers as great video gaming icons. Even though I barely had any games from that era despite owning both a Gamecube and a PS2, I still hold this generation above all the rest simply for the amount of unique and fun games I would've played if I had any actual money.

Day 26: Fav Console Generation

Ummm...

I don't really have a favourite console generation; I like all of the ones I've experienced about the same...but I guess I have the most nostalgic, fond memories of the 6th gen? Not only did I have a lot of good times with my GameCube but, well, that's when I got into handheld gaming. The GBA changed my younger self's life. Lots of cool games from that gen, too.

Not sure what else to say that hasn't been already said. *shrug*

• Thumbs Up 1