Awoo.

Pokémon Omega Ruby and Alpha Sapphire [3DS Hoenn Remake, November 2014]

Carbo

As someone who's been a fan of Pokémon since Gen I, I really don't see why the Hoenn games get such hate.  I mean, yeah, I can see why they might be underwhelming by comparison to G/S/C, considering all the things they cut out of it, but there's nothing really wrong with R/S/E from my experience.  The gameplay is fairly solid, the hidden Pokémon are delightfully cryptic (which made them exceptionally mysterious and interesting in the pre-internet explosion days), the Pokémon themselves are nice, the soundtrack is pretty great (minus the samey feeling for many of them), and it probably had the best plot to me, in a game series where the plot seems to be more of an afterthought.  Plus I think Hoenn had the most diverse and expansive room to explore, whereas in Sinnoh and Unova, you always felt boxed in and there wasn't really a whole lot of depth to be explored.

I'd say they're perfectly fine games to start out with, moreso than the R/B/Y and G/S/C games.  I don't know.  I just don't see the strength in many of the critiques aimed at Gen III.  They were fine games, if you ask me.

This.  It sucked that you couldn't transfer your team over from the last generation, especially since not all the Pokemon were available, but I have more vivid memories of RSE than any other generation.  The contests were really engaging and added a another dimension to building movesets, the battle frontier added a ton of replay value (more than the entirety of Kanto did in GSC), it added a lot of cool battle mechanics like weather effects and 2v2 battles are probably the best thing the series ever introduced since Gen I.  GSC certainly had more substance in the world-building department, with stronger lore, day-night cycles and things like the radio and cell phone making the characters and world feel more alive, but RSE was the first time the battle mechanics really became deep enough to keep me interested long after beating the Elite Four.

• Thumbs Up 2

Imma take a page from Tarakito and gush about it some more.

If you compare it to Diamond and Pearl (before Platinum, of course), the original, non-remake Gen III games probably had a better story and regional design, especially when it came to the amount of water routes, diving and beachy areas. Other than the fact that there was snow, DPPt probably didn't introduce anything else. Geographical diversity was everywhere, if not more immersive. Gen V  came close to it, with Gen V's 're-introduction' of diving and the addition of seasons, while Gen VI brought back snowy areas and used 3D modelling to show off grander architectural landmarks, especially in Lumiose and Santalune. Don't forget singe-player Secret Bases.

There's also the fact that Groudon, Kyogre and Rayquaza had dominion over domains of nature (i.e. Terra, Aqua, Ven) while Dialga and Palkia were yet another duo that ruled over time and space. Giratina was a welcome addition, though, seeing as no one has ever attempted to make fictional creatures out of antimatter. Other than that, if the Distortion World wasn't such a linear letdown with more twists, turns and areas that play with the 3D camera, Platinum would've topped RSE. Apart from that, though, the lore surrounding DPPt was only touched sparingly, while RSE maximized what it had, especially with the Eon Ticket events and the whole Mew/Mewtwo schtick.

Also, do you guys remember when Chrono Cross, Final Fantasy X, Final Fantasy X-2, Baten Kaitos and Baten Kaitos Origins were released? That little period from 2000 to 2006? I like to call that period of time the Aquatic Era of JRPGs, thanks to how all of them are linked by island settings. Ruby, Sapphire and Emerald were set in Hoenn, a more watery, warm and tropicaltastic region, away from the slightly more temperate regions of Kanto and Johto. As a result, I like to think that a new setting would redefine well, not so much as gameplay as the nature of the game, the creatures discoverable and the environment they can be caught in--a tropical paradise.

I guess that could be the reason why this generation was so loved here in Manila (capital of the Philippines for you guys who forgot)--familiarity. I still saw people playing RSE (pirated, though, natch) while HGSS was out.

Then again, all was thrown out the window once BW and BW-2 came out. Especially BW-2.

• Thumbs Up 1

REALLY psyched about this news. To think that I first learned of it thanks to a random Facebook update from my sister after I slept in. XD Incredibly excited about adventuring through a full 3D Hoenn and seeing just what they can add to an already fantastic generation of games. Hopefully, we'll get some more mega evos, too, as otherwise, non-chicken users will be a little outclassed by Mega Blaziken. (And Mega Sceptile just NEEDS to happen.)

Also, I hope the eventual art of the male protagonist makes it blatantly obvious that he's wearing a hat, thus ruining several childhoods and minds for people who didn't already know. tongue.png

• Thumbs Up 1

Do they even have a big enough staff to do something like that?

As of April of this year, they have a total of 74 people in the company....not sure how much constitutes as a lot unless you only need very few people whom are very good in their fields.

Do they even have a big enough staff to do something like that?

I've no idea.

Like I said, it's merely a guess.

To clarify, here are the things I didn't like about Ruby/Sapphire:

1. I think the overworld graphics are charmless and workmanlike.

2. I don't like tropical aesthetics.

3. I found the sea routes to be boring, featureless, and overflowing with nuisance encounters with the same Pokemon over and over again.

Now, two of those three, I will grant you, are purely a matter of opinion.  In addition, I think that two of those three have a huge likelihood of being fixed in ORAS.  Thus I can happily look forward to a remake.  I didn't think one would happen until Greninja was announced for Smash Bros., and I still don't think it was needed, but I do think I'll enjoy it a lot.  I'm especially looking forward to seeing what they do with it graphically, as they can do so much better on Hoenn's most interesting locations now.

On the subject of secret bases, where did everyone build theirs?  I tried to pick for mine the most obscure and out-of-the-way spots.  There was a hidden area in the far northwest of the region, almost a whole extra route only accessible by Surfing, that I chose (it was Route 115, apparently), with a Secret Base Spot right at the very end.

I think the water routes would have been more interesting if there were more landmarks and places. Stumbling on places like Pacifidlog and Mossdeep was really cool, but everything else is just an open expanse of bland water and diving in most areas is completely pointless. It is really the major point of contention in these games, aside from really lame evil teams. It's because all the water is right at the end, you've beaten gym 6 and basically done all the land stuff, and then you see all the water you've not yet done and it's like "this is gonna suck." It's even more annoying because there's a lot of diversity in the areas in Hoenn right up to this point.

While they're linear, I still really love Gens 5 and 6 though. I just hope they don't railroad us more in ORAS. Keep the streamlined pace of Unova and Kalos, just don't make it overly linear.

You know what I find sort of slightly odd? I thought Nintendo was trying to bring back "Gotta Catch'em All!", so why isn't that on the boxes?

You know what I find sort of slightly odd? I thought Nintendo was trying to bring back "Gotta Catch'em All!", so why isn't that on the boxes?

Well it isn't finalised box artwork.  It does say "tentative" on the front after all so who knows.

Not sure if this has been posted yet or not, but it's been confirmed that OmegaRuby and AlphaSapphire are remakes, and not sequels or spinoffs like some were wondering.

http://www.siliconera.com/2014/05/07/pokmon-omega-ruby-alpha-sapphire-full-remakes-says-nintendo-president/

Or as Iwata calls them, "full-remakes". As the article points out it's still unclear as to whether the "new world" tagline is just a tagline or if it means something more. But yeah, we should be seeing the original Gen3 games being remade on some level, maybe they're just changing more than usual or something. Who knows, hopefully it won't be long 'til we find out.

Also:

3d593fe1881e84e79e611fe7b12c182e.png

Putting "New" in the taglines for the remakes is nothing "new" (badumtss). Everyone knows HGSS isn't a "New Adventure".

• Thumbs Up 2

At least they aren't just called New Pokemon Ruby and New Pokemon Sapphire...

So, expectations anyone?

Character customisation, and I expect Hoenn itself to be in the game complete in some form, even if it's been largely restructured somehow.

As for everything else... Well, I could be surprised. Oh yeah I also expect post-Gen3 Pokémon evos to be obtainable like they were in HGSS.

• Thumbs Up 1

I bet they deliberately put the Dawn Stone post-E4 though so you can't get Gallade, fucking assholes. It was annoying enough in HGSS where you had to beat the E4 first time for the Pokeathlon to open up the stones to get Togekiss/Mismagius etc.

• Thumbs Up 1

Oh yeah, expecting a Pokedex change akin to the New Johto Pokedex in HGSS.

I do want to see freaking Elite Four and Champion Round 2 matches. That was one of the things that nagged at me in RSE.

• Thumbs Up 2

^I hope they keep that Pokedex design. It's a bit quicker and the simpler colors of HGSS compared to XY looked nicer and more organized.

About customisation. You could change your skin color in XY, so if that is still around, and I don't see it not being there, what's with Norman? Will his skin change, too? I believe they did that with your mom in XY, but Norman is an important character with an already existing design. Curious to see what they'll do.

Also, they better give us more hair cuts for boys and the ability to take off hats. And much more clothes. A Classic line with the different outfits of previous player trainers would be cool. And any clothes use by NPCs in the game.

More Mega Evolutions, more clothing options (and better ones particularly for the guys), expanded secret bases (those were really neat imo), lots of move tutors (hopefully at least all the ones from 4 ad 5th gen) and a meaty post game.

Though if I'm to be honest some of those are more hopes than expectations.  A guaranteed expectation however, is that my current account will be at least £30 less come November.

• Thumbs Up 1

Tentacool hordes.

First screenshot of one horde battle in ORAS leaked;

1370145016865.png

• Thumbs Up 6

Best reaction.

Your's?

So, expectations anyone?

I've got a big list, and I forgot to put some down

-DLC

-More Wally, and maybe give him the remaining starter at some point

-More May/Brendan, WITH FULLY EVO'd STARTERS.

-Contests, new and updated WITH WIFI. Also, the halls being spread out like in Ruby/Sapphire

-Secret Bases

-Mega Sceptile, Mega Swampert, and other Megas

-Make Feebas & Chimecho actually catchable

-Extended Hoenn Dex

-New places to go in the post-game

-Wallace OR Steven as the Champ, depending on the version you have.

-Link with Kalos, similar to the Unova Link

-Brendan and May as the protags, but with the ability to customize them.

-all 3 legendaries catchable in-game, similar to HGSS with it's 2 legends

-HGSS style bottom screen, plus the Pokenav, PSS, Amie, and Super Training

-Friend Safari IN ADDITION TO the original Safari Zone.

-Inverse Battles

-Return of the Trick House

-Follow Me, but only if it's OPTIONAL

-Return of the Mach and Acro Bikes, and still being able to swap them out.

-Fight both of the evil teams like in Emerald

-Pokeblocks>Pokepuffs

-Day and Night features, as noticeable as they where in HGSS

-Seasons, because that would be totally cool and keep you playing.

-Difficulty Option at the beginning of the game

-and of course, being able to pick which language you want.

Tentacool hordes.

NO.

-Return of the Mach and Acro Bikes, and still being able to swap them out.

I don't want that to be honest. It was annoying to have to go to Mauville and switch. Doing it like I think DPP did where you switched gears for the difference would be fine, though.

• Thumbs Up 3

-Seasons, because that would be totally cool and keep you playing.

I don't think that seasons will return. I mean, Hoenn is a tropical region after all, if anything it would be raining almost everywhere during winter and nothing more.