Awoo.

Indigo Rush

To be fair, some seasons in Japan blew some of the original Japanese versions out of the water, like Lost Galaxy versus Seijuu Sentai Gingaman.

That's actually an old urban legend. Dubbed Power Rangers only ever aired on a foreign-programming specialty channel, as I understand it, so it just plain couldn't have reached the same kind of audience as Super Sentai. Gingaman was apparently one of the more widely watched Sentai shows of its era, too.

Bandai probably wouldn't have been cool with too many people watching Power Rangers anyway, since they had a whole new year's worth of Sentai toys to sell. It'd be bad business if kids just kept playing with last year's robots.

• 2 months later...

http://uk.ign.com/articles/2014/07/15/x-men-first-class-writers-tapped-for-power-rangers-movie

The film now has its writers.

Ashley Miller and Zack Stentz (X-Men First Class) are penning the script, while Roberto Orci (Transformers 1 & 2, Star Trek 2009/ Into Darkness/ 3) is working with them on the story and executive producing.

Thoughts?

First Class was my favourite X-Men movie, so that's encouraging. Orci's projects are pretty awful a lot of the time, but the source material here ain't exactly Shakespeare and he's not actually writing the script, so we'll see.

Sounds pretty good. I really like First Class and the Star Trek movies. Transformers 1 was decent, too.

This is more than I thought the movie would get.

I personally would have loved a Power Rangers In Space movie, as that had the first red ranger I really liked.

• 1 year later...

Quite a lot of info since this thread was last updated so:

Here's the logo:

power-rangers-movie-logo-178928.jpg

Release Date: March 24th 2017

It will be directed by Dean Israelite (Project Almanac), written by John Gatins (Kong: Skull Island, Real Steel), Burk Sharpless and Matt Sazama (Dracula Untold), Max Landis (Chronicle), and Zack Stentz and Ashley Miller (X-Men: First Class, Thor).

Composed by Brian Tyler (Avengers Age of Ultron, some of the Fast & Furious movies, Dragonball Evolution)

The plot: Saban's Power Rangers follows five ordinary high school kids who must become something extraordinary when they learn that their small town of Angel Grove – and the world – is on the verge of being obliterated by an alien threat. Chosen by destiny, our heroes quickly discover that they are the only ones who can save the planet. But to do so they will have to overcome their real-life issues and band together as the Power Rangers before it is too late.

The Rangers themselves are played by:

R.J. Cyler as Billy (Blue Ranger)

Naomi Scott as Kimberly (Pink)

Ludi Lin as Zack (Black)

Dacre Montgomery as Jason (Red)

Becky Gomez as Trini (Yellow)

Here's what they look like normally:

power-rangers.jpg

And here is their costumes:

prangers.jpg

It also stars Elizabeth Banks as Rita Repulsa (here in her new outfit:

power-rangers-movie-2017-rita-repulsa-el

• Thumbs Up 1

This looks so fucking stupid it might actually turn out enjoyable

The base ranger designs are fine, only real problem is they are too busy, and would look better(and be more unified) with the traditional white

The iconic lightning bolt design isn't in the logo? Aw, man... :P

While I'm kinda confused why they went that direction with Rita, I think I can hand-wave it for now since it's an AU.

I kinda wish the Rangers' helmets resembled what they looked like on the show. Every one except for Red look the same (similar to Pink on the show) and I think giving them different helmet design would help them look more distinguished. *says this as a major fan of the PRiS outfits but that's different I think* Also, the chest pieces imo could've worked out better if they were brightly glowing either white or the Rangers' specific color. Overall not a big deal. In terms of the outfits aside from the helmets I think they're kinda cool.

...EXCEPT THERE'S NO SKIRT ON PINK'S OUTFIT; WHERE'S THE ACCURACY, SABAN? FRANCHISE IS RUINED NOW. Jk, of course.

• 4 months later...

It took way too long to get to the point where rangers are mentioned in my opinion, and it kinda feels like they're trying a bit too hard to sell the "ragtag group of misfits who are misunderstood and outcasts of society" angle, especially with the rather dramatic and "epic" dark soundtrack. It doesn't exactly help that I can't really get a gauge of the rangers' personalities very well outside of the stereotypical angsty teenager vibe I'm getting. I also think my main problem with it is that while it's CALLED Power Rangers, it doesn't really FEEL like Power Rangers, probably due to a lack of fighting any recognizable monsters like Goldar or something that at least would be very Power Rangersy, a lack of humor or levity that is present in even the darkest of Power Rangers series like Time Force or RPM, as well as not enough screentime for the main villain shown (who I assume is Rita Repulsa since this seems to be based on Mighty Morphin) to really get a feel for her character, and...yeah. That being said, I do like that they make the power coins/gems/whatever that is supposed to be a major source of their powers, since that occurred in Dino Thunder and to an extent other Power Ranger series, but that in it of itself isn't enough to make it Power Rangers.

Overall, not the best first impression.

Quick thoughts: The main protag dude is hot af, and the trailer gives me Tron Legacy vibes. Overall? Eh. I wish it the best?

Is that Lana Del Ray in the first song?  Interesting choice... not really something I'd associate with the series but whatever.

The trailer strikes me as odd for a few reasons, but for the sake of brevity, I'm going to just point out a couple of things that really resonated with me.

For starters, the person who is supposed to be the yellow ranger is supposed to be bullied for being unattractive, yes?  Then why is she... you know... not unattractive?  Don't get me wrong, I get that beauty is subjective and I'm not trying to paint her as a goddess or anything, but traditionally speaking, she doesn't exactly look like the "loser" type.  I mean, she has Hollywood done makeup and beautiful hair to match.  Like, if you're going to go out of your way to ascribe the bullied nerd character, why would you choose the hot Asian girl?  Made even worse is that the niche would have been filled better by the blue ranger, who in the original was a bit of a dork.  Maybe the movie itself will give off a better explanation, but I feel like there's something a little off about this context. (Of course, I'm not saying that beautiful can't be bullied for their appearance, but the way the trailer presents it just affirms to me that Hollywood has no sense of perspective when it comes to what people consider "attractive" and "unattractive")

The trailer really also doesn't do a good job explaining plot.  In fact, I feel like this movie encompasses everything I dislike about modern film trailers. I feel like I've seen this movie already even though I haven't.  There's little in the way of imagination and intrigue.  No hint of personality or what even the movie is about.  It's riding solely on the Power Rangers name, but not the personality.  Where's the bombastic guitar solos and obnoxious rock music?  Why does being darker and grittier have to mean the color scheme is equally as ugly?  I just thought the trailer's overall presentation was really boring and it didn't seem to have anything that would identify it as Power Rangers aside from the title.

Maybe the movie itself will be better, but the trailer didn't exactly intrigue me.

• Thumbs Up 2

2 hours ago, KHCast said:

I mean Hollywood has done the whole unattractive person played by attractive person thing for sometime now.

I know, and it's been just as stupid each and every time. XD

• Thumbs Up 4

• 5 weeks later...

As somebody who hasn't been paying a great deal of attention to this project, is it me or does this completely fail to understand the appeal of the original?

But, alright, setting aside the original series and attempting to view this new Megazord on its own merits, it's not uninteresting as a design... but what's with the feet?

46 minutes ago, Flamerstreak said:

If the toy featured here is anything to go by, here is an article showing what the Megazord will perhaps look like.

http://www.comingsoon.net/extras/news/783687-power-rangers-new-megazord-revealed

Yeah, I'm not feeling it. I'd probably be okay with it if it were a new Megazord; it looks a bit odd, but nothing too bad, but as a stand in for the original Megazord, it just seems off. Plus the design is just perplexing; I can't figure out how the megazord would be formed, and it appears to be trying to be an agile zord, but the weird feet just makes no sense with that in mind.

That Megazord looks more like the villain from some Saturday morning Shonen anime rather than a giant robot, so that's hilarious.  Otherwise, I'm pretty indifferent to it, to be honest.  It's a much more interesting-looking design than pretty much everything else we've seen in the film so far, at least in my opinion.

• 2 weeks later...

Well now, here are the individual Zords.

T-Rex.

http://www.flickeringmyth.com/2016/10/first-look-at-the-t-rex-dinozord-from-the-power-rangers-reboot/

The Rest:

http://www.flickeringmyth.com/2016/11/power-rangers-movie-zords-revealed-with-new-toy-images/

Now, about the Black Ranger's Zord, which is supposed to be the Mastodon, the Black Ranger's Zord doesn't really look like a Mastodon, does it?

2 hours ago, Flamerstreak said:

Well now, here are the individual Zords.

T-Rex.

http://www.flickeringmyth.com/2016/10/first-look-at-the-t-rex-dinozord-from-the-power-rangers-reboot/

The Rest:

http://www.flickeringmyth.com/2016/11/power-rangers-movie-zords-revealed-with-new-toy-images/

Now, about the Black Ranger's Zord, which is supposed to be the Mastodon, the Black Ranger's Zord doesn't really look like a Mastodon, does it?

Looks more like a caterpillar than anything. The designs overall are kinda fugly. I get that they're alien versions of dinosaurs, but alien doesn't mean it has to be so ugly looking.

It seems like they didn't want any of the Zords to have the same number of legs?  I see zero, two, four, six, and eight.

• 3 weeks later...

I can deal with the iron man suits for the rangers. I freaken love Rita's design in this film. Holy crap Alpha is terrible and it should be killed with fire.