Awoo.

640px-Chapter_598.png

This is a thread dedicated to the brainchild of famous mangaka Eichiro Oda. I know we have an anime and manga thread, but that seems too general for such a high profile anime you know?

So without further ado...

In a semi-colonial era, the world is going through a great turmoil as the seas are littered with pirates and other such riff-raff turning the world upside down. They are all in search of the prize of the former King of the Pirates, the legendary treasure known as the One Piece. It is said; whomever can find the One Piece would become the newest Pirate King with the seas as his throne for all time. But the journey to find the One Piece is a long and hard one, with many dangers at every step waiting to send any pirate to an early grave, such as ocean monsters the size of mountains, hazardous weather patterns that defy all common sense, and the every present shadow of the World Government, and their dogs, the Naval Marines. It's the journey of a lifetime; and for some, the final one.

Thus we join the story of a young boy named, Monkey D. Luffy. At a young age, he was cursed with the powers of rubber, and is able to stretch his body to unbelievable lengths, at the cost of his ability to swim.  Ever eager for adventure and fun, Luffy sets out to become the next King of the Pirates, along the way he is joined by his crew of misfits, such as the chef Sanji with his heart set on the ladies and his feet set on pounding you to the ground, or the monster racoon-dog reindeer Tony Tony Chopper, a doctor with an A for aid and assault. Join them on their journey as they travel a very fantastical world and meet strange friends and dangerous enemies, all on the journey to become,

KING OF THE PIRATES!

(I don't know why I go this far sometimes.)

So yeah, hard to believe this manga has been running for almost 20 years huh? The anime is just celebrating it's 15th anniversary as well. 

With almost 20 years of material, and 11 movies, there's bound to be fun times had for a while. So come aboard and watch.

The current arc at the moment is the Dressrosa arc. We find the Strawhats in the middle of another conspiracy in the works as they intend to turn a whole country on it's head. I won't spoil any more than where the anime is, but I advise you to check it out. This has definitely been one of the best arcs since the Whitebeard War, and so far has been the best arc adapted for the anime. I'll keep this info in the spoiler tags for those of you who haven't caught up yet though. But I make no promises for anime spoilers in the future. 

Here is the preview of the next episode: 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z4eecRssUC4

Big rule in this thread: ALL MANGA SPOILERS MUST BE IN SPOILER TAGS! IF THE ANIME HASN'T GOTTEN TO THAT INFORMATION, IT MUST BE PUT IN SPOILERS!

Oh and check out the anime on Crunchyroll: They update at 10 every week.

• Thumbs Up 6

RI2FMBp.png

Oda will make himself an immortal cyborg just to make One Piece longer.

• Thumbs Up 1

The latest episode of One Piece is episode 645.1000px-Episode_645.png

Title: ''The Destructive Cannon Explodes! Lucy's Close Call''
Chapters Covered: 715
New Characters: None

Script: Tanaka Hitoshi

Storyboard: Tokoro Katsumi

Episode Director: Katsumi Tokoro (****)
Animation Director: Masayuki Takagi (**1/2)

My thoughts:

This episode is a very good adaptation of the manga chapter, and uses clever use of implied filler to really expand the material given to us by the manga. The direction was pretty decent for the Doflamingo vs Law segments, and the Wicca Zoro filler was adorable, however the highlight of this episode is the collieseum fighting where the animation bumps up quite a bit to expand the fighting to very entertainable levels. 

On a side note; for those of you who were turned off during the time of Fishman Island; Dressrosa is the best arc to come back to One Piece! I am dead serious; this has been one of the best arcs in the anime in years. Don't read the manga though for Dressrosa as you can still have fun being surprised in the long run.

It feels kinda weird how I just jumped onto this series, while pretty much everyone else on here in caught up. I'm currently in the Orange Town arc and I've got one episode left for that. I gotta say, the series is really enjoyable and I like how Funimation handled the dub. Especially that sweet, sweet opening. Now, usually a lot of people I talk to give up on the series because of how long it is, but I plan to watch it all no matter how long it takes to catch up. I'll definitely be marathoning this during summer.

As of the episodes that I've seen so far, it seems like a pretty basic anime. It's got those cliche morals and the whole "the true meaning of treasure" I've seen countless times. But I do like the action in it, and the animation can be really amusing to watch, mostly because of how stretchy everyone's mouth is. Especially Luffy in this scene of Episode 4:

3LernIu.png

I mean, damn. Control your muscles, kid.

Anyway, from what I hear the series gets real good around the 50th or so episode. The thing that perplexes me is how this series is going on for so long. I mean, so far it is a pretty "normal" anime. It's got the typical action, story and pacing of any anime. So, should I expect this show to explode in due time and become "the greatest anime you've ever seen" like many tell me? I guess I'll figure out eventually. 

So in the end, first impressions are pretty good so far. The only thing I'm concerned about is how they're gonna have some suspense in the show. So far, Luffy has been pretty much invincible due to the devil fruit he ate. The question is now, how can you risk the life of someone invincible? Eh, I'm asking all these questions just because I'm new to this series. I tend to do that a lot, but yeah, I'm a guy that likes to speculate. Anyway, I look forward to seeing what more adventures await Luffy and his newfound crew. I mean, hey. He's got himself a navigator now, so who knows where they'll be heading? Okay, so you guys know, but seriously don't spoil this for me I'm enjoying it way too much, k? Bye.

• Thumbs Up 1

The funny thing about most of these cliches is that One Piece invented many of the ones you know and refined most. At times it can come off as cheesy in the beginning, but give it time and the story comes out of it's shell. If you're enjoying the story so far, then what's gonna definitely get you hooked is the upcoming Arlong Park arc where the true test of character and strength begins. Arlong Park is pretty much the proving ground for One Piece that tells you if you should stay or go. 

What really helped One Piece go on I find is that at it's core it's the simplest series in the world. One Piece taps into the most basic of emotions and uses them to give it's point effectively. Not to mention the characters are some of the best; it's their will to survive that pulls you through each episode, and the interactions they have with one another. Unlike shows like Bleach and Naruto which try to go deep into the heavy emotions and angst, One Piece only focuses on the simple stuff to keep you into the fun, and the world that Oda makes is brimming with life and energy, making it all worth watching every week. 

New One Piece Chapter released: 748 "Repaying my Debts"

http://www.onemanga.me/one-piece/748/

001stt.jpg

Summary:

Luffy's laughter at Pica was enough to anger the colossus into attacking the Straw Hat with his fist, although he missed the shockwave was enough to send Luffy and his team flying. When Luffy and his group had a rough landing in the town center, they were greeted by Cavendish who renounces his grudge against Luffy and shifts it towards Doflamingo instead. While they manage to leave the self-absorbed pirate to his delusions of grandeur, they were surrounded by all the top contenders of the colosseum block battles who all share the same goal of taking down Doflamingo and repaying their debt to god Usopp but are not united due to their pride and agendas.

At the Toy House, the soldiers were looking for Luffy's corpse or lack thereof since there was no trace of him after Pica's attack, but they were suddenly attacked by a charging band of infamous fighters with Luffy leading the charge. Pica tries to stop them but gets his stone hand shattered by the combined strength of Chinjao and Elizabello II.

My thoughts:

Chapter kind of dragged to be honest. Not much happened aside from Luffy having his allies team up with him. All the same, I enjoyed all the interactions the group was having with one another; it's funny. Pica still gets a laugh out of me when I think of his ridiculously high pitched voice. 

Overall, I give this chapter a Thumbs up+

What did you guys think of it?

Tonight's episode is:

Episode 646 – The Legendary Pirate! Don Chinjao!

Check it out at 10pm tonight on Crunchyroll. I'll have a review with my thoughts edited to this post.

• Thumbs Up 1

Huge OP fan here. Phenomenal arc happening in the anime currently. Can't wait for the episode tonight.

Love this topic btw and can't wait for more reviews. 

• Thumbs Up 1

nEwHCqB.gif

Holy fucking shit! This was the best One Piece episode in a long while! Dressrosa has been a great arc so far! It's been the best arc the anime has adapted since the old days! 

Anyways, this episode is: 646 – The Legendary Pirate! Don Chinjao!'

Title: ''The Legendary Pirate - Don Qinjao!''
Chapters Covered: 716
New Characters: None
Episode Director: Aya Komaki (****)
Animation Director: Yusuke Isochi (***1/2)

Crunchyroll: http://www.crunchyroll.com/one-piece/episode-646-the-legendary-pirate-don-chinjao-653833

And it's basically just nonstop action the whole way through. The Funk Brothers get wrecked by Sai, who then gets in a fight with Ideo. Chinjao's wrecking the place looking for Luf-Lucy! And Lucy has to recover his helmet from Jean Ango who's after his head. And then we have a fight on the Sunny and it's nonstop action.

And it all just keeps building and building up the action with stellar animation and new music galore! I don't know what Dressrosa did to deserve all this new music that keeps coming, but this was fantastic. And the animation just keeps going and going. There's a lot of repeated animation, but it all plays out so perfectly to the tone and speed this episode sets. 

And then it all just culminates into a BIG. MOTHERFUCKING. BANG. at the end of it all when Lucy and Chinjao cross fists and just leave the whole collieseum in silence.

I am watching that episode again!

• Thumbs Up 1

I'm also a huge One Piece fan... but I stopped watching the anime once it got to Thriller Bark because I don't like the way Toei currently treats the show. unsure.png

The manga has always been great, even if Fishman Island and Punk Hazard were sort of bumpy. Dressrosa is pretty good though!

I'm also a huge One Piece fan... but I stopped watching the anime once it got to Thriller Bark because I don't like the way Toei currently treats the show. unsure.png

The manga has always been great, even if Fishman Island and Punk Hazard were sort of bumpy. Dressrosa is pretty good though!

You should really give the anime version of Dressrosa a chance man. Toei's really been on the ball lately with these episodes.

And as for the older episodes; they're a lot better when you marathon them, because the anime still has a lot of great moments adapted. (Except for Fishman Island, but that arc was balls in the first place. )

I've seen a little bit of it. I still don't like the pacing and the poorly drawn art/animation. Plus, I'm not a fan of the excessive fanservice Oda does and Toei always goes and turns it up a notch. Sometimes Toei will do a few really good episodes but usually they do a pretty poor job most of the time. I think the anime needs a slightly higher budget and a couple filler arcs before I can return to it again. tongue.png

But I do really want to watch the episode that handles Sabo's return. I hope they keep

Junko Takeuchi as his voice actress!

I've seen a little bit of it. I still don't like the pacing and the poorly drawn art/animation. Plus, I'm not a fan of the excessive fanservice Oda does and Toei always goes and turns it up a notch. Sometimes Toei will do a few really good episodes but usually they do a pretty poor job most of the time. I think the anime needs a slightly higher budget and a couple filler arcs before I can return to it again. tongue.png

But I do really want to watch the episode that handles Sabo's return. I hope they keep Junko Takeuchi as his voice actress!

The animation has been pretty decent and consistent lately. And with today's episode we got some stellar animation.

Though when you say you've seen a little, how much is a little? Did you watch from the beginning of the arc or are watching weekly, because weekly is where the torment is.

Just watched Ep 646. Shit is getting real!

Luffy (Erm...I mean Lucy) has to go so hard against Don Chinjao. Kelly Funku bros are nutcases. Jean got #rekt. Chopper and Brook being scared is comedy gold. Fuck that fat Quixote Family member. Sai and Ideo get #rekt. Also Dat ending...

Kind of reminiscent of the Luffy/Amazon fight ending.

I had to get these; it was just right. You can tell which became my new sig. 

201405251909560002.gif

201405251909560001.gif

201405251909560000.gif

Hey guys, remember that guy with the funny nose who always hung about with the Pirate King while ecoming known as a major badass just by bullshitting his way through everything?

Usopp vs Buggy true final battle of One Piece

• Thumbs Up 1

The anime hasn't reached that point yet. Please keep it in spoilers ok? Some people are only following the anime.

Edited to make it more vague.

It really is hilarious the parallels between Usopp and Buggy though. There's no way that isn't intentional.

Edited to make it more vague.

It really is hilarious the parallels between Usopp and Buggy though. There's no way that isn't intentional.

He has the gift; and when he and Buggy meet, it shall be the clash of Gods and their fanboys warriors.

Of course. Just look at this leaked scene where Buggy fights Law (that is totally legit)!

k2U6xHb.jpg

• Thumbs Up 2

Guys this is a great discussion yknow and I know its fun.

But can we agree that Nami is the most useless and boring Straw Hat?

Everyone got so cool over the time-skip and all Nami got was shittier thunderbolts and no shirt.