Awoo.

Guys this is a great discussion yknow and I know its fun.

But can we agree that Nami is the most useless and boring Straw Hat?

Everyone got so cool over the time-skip and all Nami got was shittier thunderbolts and no shirt.

Yeah; she got lame quickly. She can take down fodder, but she hasn't gotten any big fights in a while, and that saddens me. Well, in this week's episode she got some useful screentime for sure at least. 

It's a big problem within the One Piece fanbase that Nami has really lost a lot of what made her great, and I wish that Oda would notice what he's done to her. But he has that Japanese chivalry that grinds ones gears and wouldn't dare harm Nami with injuries even close to what the men get. 

Yeah; she got lame quickly. She can take down fodder, but she hasn't gotten any big fights in a while, and that saddens me. Well, in this week's episode she got some useful screentime for sure at least. 

It's a big problem within the One Piece fanbase that Nami has really lost a lot of what made her great, and I wish that Oda would notice what he's done to her. But he has that Japanese chivalry that grinds ones gears and wouldn't dare harm Nami with injuries even close to what the men get. 

Yeah, like she might as well not even be there. For example, I'm watching Fishman Island right now (worst since Skypeia) and she follows Usopp and Chopper to the mini-tank and gets in the way because it's "too scary" out there. Yeah okay.

Too scary.

Nami was actually pretty cool early on in the series before members of importance started joining and it quickly went down hill from there. Then we got Robin to fill in as action girl and it's about that time I started getting tired of her.

Yeah, like she might as well not even be there. For example, I'm watching Fishman Island right now (worst since Skypeia) and she follows Usopp and Chopper to the mini-tank and gets in the way because it's "too scary" out there. Yeah okay.

Too scary.

Nami was actually pretty cool early on in the series before members of importance started joining and it quickly went down hill from there. Then we got Robin to fill in as action girl and it's about that time I started getting tired of her.

Dude, just skip past all of Fishman Island. It's really a boring arc in general. I mean; how many episodes do you watch at a time? 

Dude, just skip past all of Fishman Island. It's really a boring arc in general. I mean; how many episodes do you watch at a time? 

It depends how I'm feeling man.

I've been watching since around early 2013 so obviously not enough since I haven't caught up yet.

I'm already almost done with Fishman Island I think. Just a few more Straw Hat fights to go.

It depends how I'm feeling man.

I've been watching since around early 2013 so obviously not enough since I haven't caught up yet.

I'm already almost done with Fishman Island I think. Just a few more Straw Hat fights to go.

Wow. Just for your information Fishman Island is 51 episodes. And even when the fights are over there's still stuff going on, so keep that in mind. What episode number are you on?

Wow. Just for your information Fishman Island is 51 episodes. And even when the fights are over there's still stuff going on, so keep that in mind. What episode number are you on?

Watching 563 right now.

Basically it's been Luffy beating up Hody---->Hody eating MORE steroids----->Hody gets more buff----->tosses ship in city. Then rinse repeat.

Also the other Strawhats are making negligible progress in their fights. Sigh :(

Watching 563 right now.

Basically it's been Luffy beating up Hody---->Hody eating MORE steroids----->Hody gets more buff----->tosses ship in city. Then rinse repeat.

Also the other Strawhats are making negligible progress in their fights. Sigh sad.png

You have 11 episodes left. I suggest just picking two weeks and marathoning that, because it doesn't get less repetitive than that. 

Fishman Island has an interesting backstory; it has interesting history and a strong moral behind it. The problem is that it's villain is a pansy and it goes at a snail's pace, even in the manga. 

The next arc after Fishman Island will be better. (Skip the filler arc.) At least, it's villain will be more interesting and fun to deal with, and it has a lot of big players in it. 

You have 11 episodes left. I suggest just picking two weeks and marathoning that, because it doesn't get less repetitive than that. 

Fishman Island has an interesting backstory; it has interesting history and a strong moral behind it. The problem is that it's villain is a pansy and it goes at a snail's pace, even in the manga. 

I basically just have One Piece on as backround noise right now while I get schoolwork done. I could probably down those episodes in 2.5 hours today tongue.png

To be honest I kinda skipped over the flashbacks to save my time. For what I read on the wikia I wasn't missing much. From what I'm picking up though, it's just a big racist guy who's trying to kill all non-racists and humans. Like Fish-Hitler.

ALSO WHEN WILL WE GO GO

I basically just have One Piece on as backround noise right now while I get schoolwork done. I could probably down those episodes in 2.5 hours today tongue.png

To be honest I kinda skipped over the flashbacks to save my time. For what I read on the wikia I wasn't missing much. From what I'm picking up though, it's just a big racist guy who's trying to kill all non-racists and humans. Like Fish-Hitler.

ALSO WHEN WILL WE GO GO

Ooooooh. Get used to it. You see, the Japanese music industry is a bitch. While Japan got a new OP for the next arc, we Americans were stuck with We Go because they didn't want to give it to us without a crazy amount of moolah.

Thankfully the latest arc got it's new song just fine. 

Ooooooh. Get used to it. You see, the Japanese music industry is a bitch. While Japan got a new OP for the next arc, we Americans were stuck with We Go because they didn't want to give it to us without a crazy amount of moolah.

Thankfully the latest arc got it's new song just fine. 

Do you mean the Crunchyroll broadcasts of the show? It doesn't matter anyway since my streaming site just records the Crunchyroll video and puts it there.

It feels just as played out as this arc. I might even get One Piece burnout again, like in Skypeia.

Do you mean the Crunchyroll broadcasts of the show? It doesn't matter anyway since my streaming site just records the Crunchyroll video and puts it there.

It feels just as played out as this arc. I might even get One Piece burnout again, like in Skypeia.

Yes, even the Crunchyroll broadcasts. 

I think you should just drop One Piece until you're done with any school related material, because it is agonizing at the pace you are going. 

Yes, even the Crunchyroll broadcasts. 

I think you should just drop One Piece until you're done with any school related material, because it is agonizing at the pace you are going. 

Oh I've thought about it. But then I started rationalizing. I mean time spent not watching One Piece SHOULD be spent on catching up with One Piece :P

Oh I've thought about it. But then I started rationalizing. I mean time spent not watching One Piece SHOULD be spent on catching up with One Piece tongue.png

Oh well then; take care. The torture will be over soon.

• Thumbs Up 1

Too scary.

Skypia's the second best arc, though. Only Alabasta beats it.

FMI had a good start and end, but a mediocre middle part and a decent flashback. It was a disappointing arc for something that had been hyped for so long.

• Thumbs Up 1

The animation has been pretty decent and consistent lately. And with today's episode we got some stellar animation.

Though when you say you've seen a little, how much is a little? Did you watch from the beginning of the arc or are watching weekly, because weekly is where the torment is.

I usually just jump around. I read what people think of the episodes on Arlong Park Forums and usually if an episode is well-received, I'll give it a watch. The last ones I watched were 644 and 645. The art was pretty good in 644, but other than that my beef with the way the show is treated still remains. Each episode usually covers up to one chapter at most, sometimes even half a chapter. This works for the manga since it's usually just 18 pages, but the anime going that route is just too slow. There are too many screen pans, fodder reactions, I remember back in episode 605, it took literally half an episode for a door to close, accompanied with an irritating buzzing sound the whole time. I understand if there needs to be a little padding, but padding the whole material just gets tedious, especially if you read the manga first. Hell, the actual episode doesn't even start until about 4-5 minutes in. Regardless, I'll go check out episode 646 and let you know what I think. smile.png

Skypiea is definitely one of the best arcs there is! Adventure, treasure, mystery, and probably the most natural enemy Luffy can have -- that also happens to be a self-proclaimed deity.

I usually just jump around. I read what people think of the episodes on Arlong Park Forums and usually if an episode is well-received, I'll give it a watch. The last ones I watched were 644 and 645. The art was pretty good in 644, but other than that my beef with the way the show is treated still remains. Each episode usually covers up to one chapter at most, sometimes even half a chapter. This works for the manga since it's usually just 18 pages, but the anime going that route is just too slow. There are too many screen pans, fodder reactions, I remember back in episode 605, it took literally half an episode for a door to close, accompanied with an irritating buzzing sound the whole time. I understand if there needs to be a little padding, but padding the whole material just gets tedious, especially if you read the manga first. Hell, the actual episode doesn't even start until about 4-5 minutes in. Regardless, I'll go check out episode 646 and let you know what I think. :)

Skypiea is definitely one of the best arcs there is! Adventure, treasure, mystery, and probably the most natural enemy Luffy can have -- that also happens to be a self-proclaimed deity.

The anime needs a filler arc. Not just a few episodes, but something like 15-20 at least. It's too close to the Manga right now, so the pacing is slow. They probably also should've done the cover stories before the time skip and "From the Ship Decks of the World" between FMI and PH.

• Thumbs Up 1

Actually, it needs a bit more than that. Oda's breaks have become much more common, so the anime could eventually catch up even with a 15-20 episode filler arc. I'd say it needs at least 30 episodes of filler before the anime can get back into proper shape. I think Toei is more concerned with being as close to the manga as possible rather than putting out a quality product.

When the time skip happened, I was really hoping Toei would adapt the Straw Hat cover stories into an arc. There was just so much missed potential right there.

I just watched episode 646, and it was okay. It had good art and a cool ending, but the pacing is still abnormally slow.

• Thumbs Up 1

I never understood why they streamlined One Piece so much. I'm an anime-oriented One Piece watcher (I switched over to the manga for a point during Thriller Bark, but found the anime a more fun experience), and even I can tell that they are padding things out a bit too much. It's a bit forgivable with One Piece compared to other manga since the panels are so action-packed, for lack of a better word. It's still silly.

One Piece was actually pretty good with filler arcs, some were a big miss, but alot of them were pretty strong and enjoyable. I don't see them slowing down the pacing anymore if they catch up to the manga, so they might just pause the anime for a while when they can't adapt anymore. Toei might not be willing to put money in for a filler arc, hell they obviously didn't bother for Fishman Island either.

The filler arcs in One Piece are definitely enjoyable! My favorites are G8 and... I dare say the Goat Island arc. One thing Toei will never do is put One Piece on break, and it's for a couple reasons:

1. They pay for the time slot. If they give it up, someone else could nab it and Toei would have to search for another (potentially less ideal) slot.

2. It's their hottest property and they can't afford to not have it run for an extended amount of time, especially after airing for so long. Kids could lose interest and that means merchandise sales would drop, which would directly affect Toei. They're taking advantage of the franchise since it's so popular, and airing it weekly keeps it relevant and fresh, and they want every last dime/yen they can get from it. This is why Dragon Ball GT was made.

I would actually prefer if the anime took a break for about half a year, then it could come back with better pacing and art. It worked wonders for Bakuman. Too bad it won't actually happen, though. laugh.png

The filler arcs in One Piece are definitely enjoyable! My favorites are G8 and... I dare say the Goat Island arc. One thing Toei will never do is put One Piece on break, and it's for a couple reasons:

1. They pay for the time slot. If they give it up, someone else could nab it and Toei would have to search for another (potentially less ideal) slot.

2. It's their hottest property and they can't afford to not have it run for an extended amount of time, especially after airing for so long. Kids could lose interest and that means merchandise sales would drop, which would directly affect Toei. They're taking advantage of the franchise since it's so popular, and airing it weekly keeps it relevant and fresh, and they want every last dime/yen they can get from it. This is why Dragon Ball GT was made.

I would actually prefer if the anime took a break for about half a year, then it could come back with better pacing and art. It worked wonders for Bakuman. Too bad it won't actually happen, though. laugh.png

1. Shit forgot about that. One Piece actually has a really desirable slot for the kiddies. Works really well for them.

2. I suppose so. It's a shame how penny-pinching Toei is in regards to it's properties. Understandable, not desirable. It could also help if they didn't pour so much of the budget into the movies. The annual movies actually look pretty good, hell they just released a CG movie not too long ago. Pacing would be a lot more forgivable if there were cool effects going on :P

A filler arc would be far more to Toei's benefit then, but they don't seem to want to pay writers for that or fall too behind the manga. We have only gotten tiny filler episodes between the New World arcs

I got into this show by buying the first box set at a convention in 2012. I'm actually an English dub type of person, and I'm 100% up to date with the dub. That being said, I'm getting close to Brook being introduced, but I might switch over to the sub soon depending on how long it takes the new DVD release to happen.

Either way, One Piece is by far one of my favorite series. :D

Actually, it needs a bit more than that. Oda's breaks have become much more common, so the anime could eventually catch up even with a 15-20 episode filler arc. I'd say it needs at least 30 episodes of filler before the anime can get back into proper shape. I think Toei is more concerned with being as close to the manga as possible rather than putting out a quality product.

When the time skip happened, I was really hoping Toei would adapt the Straw Hat cover stories into an arc. There was just so much missed potential right there.

I just watched episode 646, and it was okay. It had good art and a cool ending, but the pacing is still abnormally slow.

Well Oda is taking a 2 week break, so they're catching up faster than usual. They have to do something.

I don't mind the slow pacing sometimes if it is used well. And I thought 646 used it very well to it's advantage for fighting. Most people's problem with that one is that, "they don't care about the other characters" which was actually the case when the original manga chapters were released. I liked Jean Ango's gag and wish his voice would've pitched higher as he got angrier, and it would've been some fun random humor.

The problem usually comes with the fact that Toei is the cheapest anime company in the world. I know anime is usually cheaper than American animation, but Toei are the worst. They could do so many gags in this show to make up for the time, but Toei is so strict with their budget that it's less expensive to just have a character go, "Aah!" and just stare at the other character for a minute. 

Also, this is something that has bugged me lately. Toei's sound design is awful these days. In the arena fights there are no sounds of battle, usually just an audience cheering. I'd be more into the episodes as a whole if they fired the current sound man and replaced him with someone more competent. Toei barely has any atmosphere with their sound design.

I got into this show by buying the first box set at a convention in 2012. I'm actually an English dub type of person, and I'm 100% up to date with the dub. That being said, I'm getting close to Brook being introduced, but I might switch over to the sub soon depending on how long it takes the new DVD release to happen.

Either way, One Piece is by far one of my favorite series. biggrin.png

The next set will be out by September, along with Film Z. I suggest if you haven't, to buy Strong World.

1. Shit forgot about that. One Piece actually has a really desirable slot for the kiddies. Works really well for them.

2. I suppose so. It's a shame how penny-pinching Toei is in regards to it's properties. Understandable, not desirable. It could also help if they didn't pour so much of the budget into the movies. The annual movies actually look pretty good, hell they just released a CG movie not too long ago. Pacing would be a lot more forgivable if there were cool effects going on tongue.png

A filler arc would be far more to Toei's benefit then, but they don't seem to want to pay writers for that or fall too behind the manga. We have only gotten tiny filler episodes between the New World arcs

2. They did some cool stuff for Film Z, but again; Toei is the cheapest anime company in the world. They won't pull this for the TV series, though CGI could really help. They could use it for the backgrounds and get some good shots, but again; too cheap.

You think it would; but remember, they are the only anime company right now who is making consistent money with their properties, so they have little reason to care. 

I agree with you. Toei is absolutely the worst. They're also known for giving foreign licensors a hard time. Did you know that FUNimation is the only international company they granted 16:9 masters of episodes 207+ to (not counting their sub-licenses to Manga UK and Madman)? I really wonder how much money FUNi had to bribe them with. biggrin.png

Some simple filler arcs could easily prevent them catching up to Oda, but they seem content with adapting half a chapter per episode now because no matter what kind of product they produce, it'll still rake in high ratings.

And yes! What happened to their diverse library of sound effects? I am really sick of that particular running sound effect they keep reusing over and over.

• Thumbs Up 1

I agree with you. Toei is absolutely the worst. They're also known for giving foreign licensors a hard time. Did you know that FUNimation is the only international company they granted 16:9 masters of episodes 207+ to (not counting their sub-licenses to Manga UK and Madman)? I really wonder how much money FUNi had to bribe them with. biggrin.png

Some simple filler arcs could easily prevent them catching up to Oda, but they seem content with adapting half a chapter per episode now because no matter what kind of product they produce, it'll still rake in high ratings.

And yes! What happened to their diverse library of sound effects? I am really sick of that particular running sound effect they keep reusing over and over.

Heh. Not like that matters; FUNi still can't release Blu-rays of them; bah.

And that's because Toei hasn't released them on Blu-ray in Japan. Heck, they didn't even release the Davy Back Fight arc in widescreen on DVD. They started doing it with Water Seven instead.

At least we have it in HD on Toonami, though. wink.png