Awoo.

Sega Central "Come and have a go if you think you're hard enough"

Badnik Mechanic

Also, was it just me or was the entire video really, really saturated? Especially the pieces of stock footage (look at Sonic Boom). Not a lot of things going for this.

Oh so it wasn't my display settings then?

Yeah there was definitely something wrong with it. Felt like it had gone through several encodings or filters before it was uploaded.

I'm a little bit surprised that this is a Sega Europe initiative.  I thought they sacked like half of Sega Europe not long ago.

Well, I thought it was pretty cool and great to see SEGA Europe having an online presence again. I really hope this becomes a long term thing. 

• Thumbs Up 3

Yeah, I'm not entirely impressed, though that may have something to do with the fact that it doesn't talk about any games I'm interested in.  That aside, I really hate when companies present their products by just having random people stroke their ego and tell us about how awesome a game is as opposed to giving us actual details about said game.  First, how do we know they're not being paid to say that, and even if they're not, I wouldn't just say right in front of the people hoping to make money off the game, "This game is awful and I wouldn't recommend it to my worst enemy."  (And if I did say such a thing, they'd probably edit it out)  Second, there's no detail.  Like, I don't care if they were impressed by it, I want to be able to see it so I can make my own decisions as to rather or not it would be worth purchasing.  It's just annoying.

Could someone tell me what game they are showing at about 16 second in when the guy is say "Craftily edited moving pictures".(in the announcement not the pilot)

To be more exact the one that show sonic in spinball defying gravity and all that.

I just cant figure it out.

I think it's Sonic Dash.

One of the mobile games.

• 1 month later...

... So what happened to this? The next episode should have been out at the end of June, but now we're two weeks into July and it's nowhere to be seen. I know it didn't score to well with us here, but check out the YouTube views. The introduction video scarsely got 4,000 views and the pilot episode didn't even hit 3,000. Ouch! Do you think this might have been canned? Now I feel kinda bad for being critical of the presenters and content...

• 9 months later...

So Sega Central now does this...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bopqK-N_Xik

This was Sega Central attempting to show you how to beat the Green Hill Zone in under 30 seconds... I managed to do this on my first go... How long does it take them? Nearly 10 min, how many attempts? 20... 

Aside from the lack of ability at the game, there was something else that the video brought up. The lack of Knowledge, enthusiasm and experience of the presenters. Complaints which could apply to many videos, I've seen them make very basic and some pretty big errors with both game and non game content, one such howler was that they're reporting from a convention and get the name of it completely wrong.

Anyway, with this video, within 30 seconds there's a mistake, they call the green hill zone, "Green Zone."

Then as the video goes on, it shows just how lacking in knowledge that they are with both the game and Sonic in general e.g. "I think he's called Omachao." 

Also, 20 attempts, shocking lack of experience with the game, it's... pretty bad.

So in the comments, a few people called them up on this and brought up a point, not exactly a big deal, but a bit of a point since this isn't the first time Sega Central have got stuff quite wrong. That being 

It's sad, SEGA picked up these randoms out of film school or something, instead of putting some true blue SEGA fans on the case. These guys haven't got a clue about SEGA's history, can't even get Green Hill Zone right? Common son.

I'm not sure if this is that big a deal, but... Sega's response was... interesting....

Well we didn't. They work here. And the Green Hill Zone thing is a slip, rather than a lack of knowledge. We said before, think you can do better? Come in, we'll put you on the show.

The guy then replied saying how he wasn't from the UK and couldn't afford the plane tickets... to which Sega said...

We'll fly you over and put you up for the night.

Anyone want to take them up on this offer?

I made sure to screencap the remarks just for easy reference in case they try to sweep it under the rug.

I'm just shocked at the response. Responding to negative criticism is one thing, but wow.

I think they meant it in playful manner.... but really... this series is doing them a lot more harm than good.

When they announced/launched this, it was such a great idea, but look at it, just look at it and how badly it's reflecting their brand. 

Presenters look bored and uninterested. ---- If you look bored and uninterested, why would a customer be those things? 

Presenters make a lot of mistakes in terms of knowledge of the game and brand. --- Gives the impression you don't care so why should I?

Presenters are not very good at the games. <--- These are your games! You should be the number 1 source to show us exactly what to do! If you can't make the game look exciting, why would anyone take interest!?

• Thumbs Up 2

If only that comment was true. I'd respond on that in a heart beat

Actually, they might have something with that idea even if they were joking. What if they did a "Have I Got News For You" setup and actually get different people on each time? They could get prominent community members in and perhaps old favourites like Aaron Webber could get asked back for a video (I remember his Modern Green Hill speedrun guide). These two clearly aren't that interested in the games so why should we care what their thoughts are on them? I reckon more people would be interested in this with a rotating supply of SEGA fans in the hosting seats. Things could be far more popular if SEGA got the community more involved to help out with this.

They could still keep these two for interviews at gaming shows, hopefully with them improving a bit.

I don't doubt that these presenters are just having fun, both with making these SEGA Central videos and in those comments. Those comments really were just making light of the competition, but getting names of things wrong when you're actually representing SEGA is irksome regardless. But still, why are these videos so, so bad? Stiff and awkward presentation and utterly boring as well. They struggle to get anywhere near 5,000 viewers.

SEGA Central is harmless really, but what's the point?

"Green Zone is a slip and not a lack of knowledge."

Are you fucking kidding me right now.

The most iconic stage in Sonic, the very first, the one absolutely everyone knows whether they've played the games or not, etc. having its name mistaken is a "slip."

I mean really, where do they think the "X Hill Zone" trend started?

Get a new job please.

"Green Zone is a slip and not a lack of knowledge."

Are you fucking kidding me right now.

The most iconic stage in Sonic, the very first, the one absolutely everyone knows whether they've played the games or not, etc. having its name mistaken is a "slip."

I mean really, where do they think the "X Hill Zone" trend started?

Get a new job please.

Is it really a stretch to say that "Green Zone" probably was just a slip? The reason they made that mistake though is probably cause they're not manic Sonic fans like we are. To us, "Green Hill Zone" is part of our regular vocabulary. To them, not so much. I seriously doubt that they didn't know it was Green Hill Zone. It's an easy mistake, but not really helped by the fact that the show bites.

• Thumbs Up 3

Is it really a stretch to say that "Green Zone" probably was just a slip? The reason they made that mistake though is probably cause they're not manic Sonic fans like we are. To us, "Green Hill Zone" is part of our regular vocabulary. To them, not so much. I seriously doubt that they didn't know it was Green Hill Zone. It's an easy mistake, but not really helped by the fact that the show bites.

Should people who aren't manic be responsible for whipping up excitement?

I dunno about SEGA Europe's job applications, but SEGA America's indicate a requirement for both enthusiasm and knowledge on the part of staff.

These people aren't a Webber or even a Frost, that's for sure.

• Thumbs Up 1

I dunno about SEGA Europe's job applications, but SEGA America's indicate a requirement for both enthusiasm and knowledge on the part of staff.

• Thumbs Up 1

• Thumbs Up 3

Does anyone remember the time Aaron Webber thought the shield in Sonic 1 was green when it's actually blue?

Travesty of the decade.

• Thumbs Up 3

• The topic was locked