Awoo.

Sonic Boom: Rise of Lyric (Wii U)

Bluecore

This further proves the franchise has been rebooted. Sega now has no interest in other side characters other than Tails/Amy/Knuckles, nor expanding the universe and the scale of the franchise, nor making deep stories.

Which sounded pretty good on paper, but we all knew it was too good to be true. Now Sega is back to its old gimmicks of making a new character just to support one part of the universe. The only thing to do now is to debate on, if the name Sticks is worse than the name Big.

Will Sega ever learn just to keep Sonic, Tails, Knuckles, and Dr.Eggman as focus points or will we get SONIC THE HEDGEHOG (2006) 2.
Heck, even a break from all characters except Sonic, and Robotnik would be appreciated.
After all I play Sonic The Hedgehog for....well...Sonic.

Will Sega ever learn just to keep Sonic, Tails, Knuckles, and Dr.Eggman as focus points or will we get SONIC THE HEDGEHOG (2006) 2.

Heck, even a break from all characters except Sonic, and Robotnik would be appreciated.

Will they ever learn? Are you serious? They've listen to the complaints of the classic/Sonic only crowd and took a break from all the other characters in the main series for 7 freakin' years. Now the other characters except for Sonic and Tails doesn't do jackshit in the series anymore and it's pissing me off. People still have Sonic 06 so far up their ass and loves beating it to the ground so much that it's not SEGA's fault if they've been living under a rock for the last 7 years and are still pretty clueless and ignorant when it comes to the Sonic series or else they would've took notice that SEGA has been listening to them by cutting down the characters and made Sonic the only playable character for so many years. 

Why can't people who've been waiting so long to play as other characters and wants more out of the games that they're not getting in the main series anymore look forward to Boom while the people who wants Sega to keep pandering to their nostalgia boner and only cares for the Sonic only stuff and nothing else sticks to the main Sonic Team games?

What's the point in making Boom into it's own seperate branch if people can't seem to grasp that it's a different continuity and Sonic Team isn't the ones working on this? They took that privilege away from us in the main series for having characters and doing anything interesting and people expects that other characters shouldn't appear in the other continuities either? You can't have it both ways.

• Thumbs Up 6

This further proves the franchise has been rebooted. Sega now has no interest in other side characters other than Tails/Amy/Knuckles, nor expanding the universe and the scale of the franchise, nor making deep stories.

Which sounded pretty good on paper, but we all knew it was too good to be true. Now Sega is back to its old gimmicks of making a new character just to support one part of the universe. The only thing to do now is to debate on, if the name Sticks is worse than the name Big.

"Other characters are bad, I say. Bad. Bad. Bad. Bad."

Guess you kind forgot that we've had a clusterfuck of years with barebones, nonsensical, asinine forced jokes and a lack of anybody doing anything other than Sonic and Eggman. I'd count Tails, too, but he's kinda just there because, yeah. He's there.

And you know, I actually hated that time. I did. I enjoyed the gameplay, I guess. It wasn't ideal for me, but it worked. But the atmosphere? The world? And god, the story? I couldn't give a rat's ass to come back to it, it bored me to absolute tears. Regardless, you had from Unleashed all the way up to Lost World.

You've already got what you wanted. Why don't you let some other people actually get what they want?

Now, if this is going to be something I want? Who knows, it fixes some problems. But with every fix, there's always something else broken.

• Thumbs Up 4

Of course they don't. Every time they attempt it these days people complain.

It's a different world from the main series, it stands to reason that it would have different characters too. And Sticks isn't that bad of a name if you ask me.

We've had a break from them for at least seven years, is that not enough for you? Also, there's a big difference between having more than four characters and being a repeat of Sonic NextGen.

I can't be the only person who found this video obnoxious...

• Thumbs Up 8

Have you not been paying attention to anything to do with Boom until today, or are you simply a troll?  I apologise if this question goes beyond the pale, but it is a genuine one.  You give the impression that you had no idea until today that Boom was meant to be a separate continuity, when actually that fact was established on day one.  Furthermore, how does the introduction of a completely new character in a completely different context prove that Sega isn't interested in side characters or expanding the universe?

It's almost as if you do actually recognise that Boom is a separate continuity, and you just think Sega's offloading all side-characters / universe expansion / deep stories to Boom.  So, which is it?  Is it a reboot, or a separate continuity?  Please clarify.  Because Sonic Boom is, in fact, all about other side-characters, expanding the universe, expanding the scale of the franchise, and in all likelihood, making deep stories.  And Boom's use of more characters and a wider universe and deeper stories, by the way, doesn't in any way prevent the Modern Sonic canon from also doing so.

Which sounded pretty good on paper, but we all knew it was too good to be true. Now Sega is back to its old gimmicks of making a new character just to support one part of the universe.

I'm not sure I understand this criticism.  Oh, no, a new part of the universe has new characters associated with it?  Excuse me?  Do you in fact want new parts of the universe to have no new characters, only the main four?  That doesn't sound much like you want them to be interested in side-characters or in expanding the universe.

The only thing to do now is to debate on, if the name Sticks is worse than the name Big.

Yeah, because neither Sonic, Tails, nor Knuckles are named after their defining attribute the way Big and Sticks are (to say nothing of, I don't know, Metal Sonic, Shadow, Chaos, Eggman...).

Will Sega ever learn just to keep Sonic, Tails, Knuckles, and Dr.Eggman as focus points

They did.

As you yourself point out, they did that, too.

I do recognise that for a period there was not necessarily a great balance struck between Sonic's playability and other characters', but he never stopped being a major playable character and has been the only playable character for about seven years now.  I can think of exactly two Sonic games in the history of Sonic where you never played as Sonic, next to, what, dozens of games where you do?  Most of the time?

Sonic Boom is, like nearly all iterations of the Sonic franchise, named after Sonic.  It's also named after his trademark ability, speed.  In the most recent cast picture, Sonic is displayed prominently and at about twice the size of the other characters.  What about this suggests that Sonic is not going to be a big deal?

• Thumbs Up 6

Are you even for real man.

7 years of Sonic as only playable character and you still complain? You classic fans sure do get on my nerves sometimes.

And the franchise hasn't been rebooted, stop living under a rock and do some research before posting this stuff will you. thanks.

Alright can we have like a poll or something, because let's be honest. Who here would Actually want to play as any character other than Sonic, Tails, Knuckles, and Amy. Yeah I know it is fun to pretend like we want to play as Big, Omochao, and Chris Thorndyke but at the end of the day, really all we want to play as, is Sonic. Don't believe me? Turn on your one of your copies of Sonic Adventure 2. Now when you go to the stage select, compare the number of times you played City Escape to any other level. If you are like me, City Escape has Three hundred sixty nine replays when every other level has less than twelve. Don't even think of blaming the Chao Garden for that many plays dry.png . As for the sonic boom show, as long as Sonic runs I'm happy. If they can even pull that off well enough...

After all I'll watch "Sonic Boom" for...well...Sonic.

Alright can we have like a poll or something, because let's be honest. Who here would Actually want to play as any character other than Sonic, Tails, Knuckles, and Amy. Yeah I know it is fun to pretend like we want to play as Big, Omochao, and Chris Thorndyke but at the end of the day, really all we want to play as, is Sonic. Don't believe me? Turn on your one of your copies of Sonic Adventure 2. Now when you go to the stage select, compare the number of times you played City Escape to any other level. If you are like me, City Escape has Three hundred sixty nine replays when every other level has less than twelve. Don't even think of blaming the Chao Garden for that many plays dry.png . As for the sonic boom show, as long as Sonic runs I'm happy. If they can even pull that off well enough...

Um... good for you I suppose???

I mean really, more power to you if you like playing as Sonic most, and while you surely aren't wrong in that, you can't simply hand-wave the fact that we like some spice to the formula too with some alternate playables. tongue.png

Dear god, nothing along the lines of the Adventure series' handling of alternate characters, shuffling them off to different gameplay genres altogether, but remember, you don't really HAVE to play as the others. It's like Advance 3's set up in a sense, mixing and matching character combinations. I guess that isn't really your preferred cup of tea, but I welcome the change. We've had to put up with characters fading into the background over the years anyway, it's about time we finally get to play as them again.

(And by the way, this is the topic for the TV series after all.....)

• Thumbs Up 1

1) No one said they wanted to play as Big, Omochao or Chris.

2) Yes, while we (or at least many of us) do want to play as Sonic, we do also want to play as other characters.

3) Sonic Boom will likely be more like Sonic 3 than Adventure 2 in the way the multiple play styles will work (still speedy, get to the goal, mostly optional).

4) You just go ahead and watch the cartoon for Sonic. I'll be watching for Sonic, Tails, Knuckles, Amy, Sticks and Eggman.

5) Shouldn't this talk of gameplay be in the Sonic Boom game topic?

• Thumbs Up 1

Alright can we have like a poll or something, because let's be honest. Who here would Actually want to play as any character other than Sonic, Tails, Knuckles, and Amy.

I certainly would, provided they didn't play too differently from the four you just mentioned.

Yeah I know it is fun to pretend like we want to play as Big, Omochao, and Chris Thorndyke

I've never heard of anyone wanting to play as Omochao, and Chris was never part of the games.

but at the end of the day, really all we want to play as, is Sonic. Don't believe me? Turn on your one of your copies of Sonic Adventure 2. Now when you go to the stage select, compare the number of times you played City Escape to any other level. If you are like me, City Escape has Three hundred sixty nine replays when every other level has less than twelve.

That's mainly because Sonic and Shadow are the ones with the most "Sonic-like" gameplay. If the other characters played like those two, you would likely have just as many replays in their levels.

Don't even think of blaming the Chao Garden for that many plays dry.png . As for the sonic boom show, as long as Sonic runs I'm happy. If they can even pull that off well enough...

What makes you think they can't? Didn't you see the trailer for the show?

And like ChaosIncarnate said, there's nothing wrong with that.
  • Thumbs Up 2

Alright can we have like a poll or something, because let's be honest. Who here would Actually want to play as any character other than Sonic, Tails, Knuckles, and Amy.

I'd also enjoy playing as Shadow, Silver, Blaze, Eggman -- mostly Eggman, Rouge, Gamma (if there was a good way to bring him back, Chaos, or anybody else -- so long as it fit within the game's story and didn't cost extra development time, so the gameplay is actually enjoyable.

You're acting like the characters, themselves, make the game bad. You realize characters are just models (or sprites), right? It's the programming that plays the real part of it all.

Yeah I know it is fun to pretend like we want to play as Big, Omochao, and Chris Thorndyke

I like how you chose some of the most renown hated characters to try to prove a point, though Big was mostly hated for his fishing stages in SA1. How many people hated Big in Sonic Heroes? Granted, I hated his excuse plot, but I hated everyone's excuse plot in that game. In Heroes, Big was moving around at the speed of sound like everyone else.

but at the end of the day, really all we want to play as, is Sonic.

At this point, I almost rather be playing as Omochao.

Don't believe me? Turn on your one of your copies of Sonic Adventure 2. Now when you go to the stage select, compare the number of times you played City Escape to any other level.

Funny, for me it's actually Iron Gate. But I'm an Eggman fan, so go figure. Here's the thing, that's because Sonic plays like Sonic, only other one who does is Shadow. So, guess what? Those guys will be played more than the others. Big surprise, right?

If Knuckles, Tails, Eggman, Rouge, and all them had a simply "Get to the goal ring" at a fast pace, guess what would happen? Wait, wait, I think I'm on a shocking revelation... people... would... would... would... GASP! People would like playing them?! No way!

The problem is Sonic Adventure 1 and 2 had a very short development time and wanted to stuff a lot of awesome stuff in a short time. So, these other play styles became fluff to make the game seem longer. This is also true for Sonic Heroes, Sonic 06, and even Shadow. While Shadow and Heroes didn't really have too much alternate playstyles, they did do a lot of mission rehashing.

If you are like me, City Escape has Three hundred sixty nine replays when every other level has less than twelve.

God, that sounds so boring. Don't get me wrong, I enjoy City Escape, but replaying that over three-hundred time? lol wow.

So, what about all of Sanic's other levels? He did have the most, you didn't play those other Sonic level three hundred times? So, we could just drop Shadow in City Escape and it'd be the bee's knees for you? Or does it have to be blue Mickey Mouse to hold any weight for you?

That's great, big yippie for you. Here's the thing, I think there's more to Sonic than Sonic himself. There's Sonic's world, Sonic's enemies, Sonic friends. And then there's Sonic's friends enemies, Sonic's friends friends.

When there's a whole world full of other interesting characters, I think it's pretty nice to get off Sonic's dick for a little while.

• Thumbs Up 7

So is Sticks not in the Wii U version then or..?

Sounds like she isn't, since the synopsis for the 3DS version says she's playable "for the first time ever". I'm guessing she's an important NPC in the Wii U version.

I have to say, I'm really liking Lyric's design. Not really liking the "Rise of Lyric" subtitle though.

• Thumbs Up 2

The gameplay will challenge players with over-the-top speed runs, but the heart of the game will focus on intense combat and brand-new abilities including the Enerbeam.

Though it was already stated I suppose this confirms that the speed sections of the game are indeed confined to sectios

Well all my expectations for the 3DS versions have gone from those screens. I wasn't expecting too much but it looks just like another Rush game. I really hope I'm proven wrong on this one.

A snake villain? That actually sounds kinda cool. The subtitle "Rise of Lyric" sounds lame, though.

The most important announcement from this blog post is the confirmation of Sonic Bran. Delicious.

EDIT: Tails totally used the Homing Attack at the end of the 3DS footage. Interesting.

• Thumbs Up 1

Loving Lyric's design...but...surely I can't be the only one who seen it and automatically thought...CRIMSON COBRA!!!

Crimsoncobra.jpg

Cribbins.jpg