Awoo.

Sonic Boom: Rise of Lyric (Wii U)

Bluecore

Believe it or not, there's someone out there who loves Rise of Lyric unironically :

Yeah cause a girl that squees really hard just cause Tails's ears are flapping cause of wind (at 6:28) is definitely the kind of fan that is good at judging quality -_-

Edited by pppp

• 1 month later...

Illfonic's added the game to their site with 6 dev shots of the battle arenas. 

http://www.illfonic.com/#!sonic-boom/mf8ku

After playing through the game again, I found out why the Enerbeam wrist-things iare different between the show and the game. 

In the final cutscene, Lyric turns the beams back into shackles. When Lyric is taken down, they lose the enerbeams. At the final celebration in the village, they have their show Enerbeams.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm glad to see that some people are trying to be positive about Rise of Lyric. I've always tried to support Sonic the best I can, but even I have a hard time finding something to smile about in the mess. I booted it up again a couple of weeks ago, and I couldn't even really remember how to play it properly. I think I somewhat enjoyed the game at first, but that's either because I literally forced myself to, or because it was a new Sonic game. Either way, I liked it at first. Now, not so much. But hey, it was a bumpy start for the Boom games, I believe they'll get it right eventually.

Yeah it is nice to see some people trying to find a positive. I realise for many it's not an easy game to find a positive for.

I like it still however I play it more like an interactive cartoon.^-^;;;;

Guilty pleasure I guess.

I like the music and like the character interactions during gameplay. The Bygone island music is my favourite. It's nice just listening to it. Reminds me of when I use to listen too the Donkey Kong 64 music on the island. Been years since a game has effected me in that way before.

So yeah. That's some positive stuff on why I enjoy the game.

It's not the worst TV based game I've played. I've actually played some pretty bad ones that I got rid of so quickly due to how horrible they were. Sonic Boom ROL I like to keep because I did get some enjoyment out of it.

Hopefully any future game they make improves upon it though.

Edited by Super Sonic Speed
  • Thumbs Up 1

Well for the most part, I do found Rise of Lyric to be a decent game. The level design that accommodates for each character is a nice touch, some of the levels do look nice (Lyric's Weapon Facility and Creeper Gorge comes to mind). I love the banter between the characters and I'm confident that its the current voice cast's best work yet! The music is also nice, provides a nice atmospheric tone to the levels though I guess you can only milk orchestra so much to a "Sonic" game.

It's pretty buggy as all hell but when I think about it's really not that bad of a game, bad in terms of a Sonic game but not really for game in general.

• Thumbs Up 2

Well for the most part, I do found Rise of Lyric to be a decent game. The level design that accommodates for each character is a nice touch, some of the levels do look nice (Lyric's Weapon Facility and Creeper Gorge comes to mind). I love the banter between the characters and I'm confident that its the current voice cast's best work yet! The music is also nice, provides a nice atmospheric tone to the levels though I guess you can only milk orchestra so much to a "Sonic" game.

It's pretty buggy as all hell but when I think about it's really not that bad of a game, bad in terms of a Sonic game but not really for game in general.

I disagree, I think Sonic Boom is worst game in 8th gen even if this game doesn't have glitches. Let's see the game concept and design. Does it have anything good things? All people criticize Sonic Boom design and graphic. And second. gameplay, Boring, Simple (A-A-A-A)..... Too short playtime. etc...

In conclusion, I think Sonic Boom is ABSOLUTELY TRASH since it's concept and design or... Itself(One exception. Tv show.)

I disagree, I think Sonic Boom is worst game in 8th gen even if this game doesn't have glitches. Let's see the game concept and design. Does it have anything good things? All people criticize Sonic Boom design and graphic. And second. gameplay, Boring, Simple (A-A-A-A)..... Too short playtime. etc...

In conclusion, I think Sonic Boom is ABSOLUTELY TRASH since it's concept and design or... Itself(One exception. Tv show.)

Well that's like your opinion, man.

You may find it irredeemable, I find it serviceable. 

Opinions, how do they work?

• Thumbs Up 6

Well that's like your opinion, man.

You may find it irredeemable, I find it serviceable. 

Opinions, how do they work?

yep, of course It's just opinion.

I assume everyone is familiar with the story of why exactly RoL turned out to be such a "mess"?

A year since this game came out huh. In its wake a decent enough cartoon, another game and okay merch spawned from it while this was left to rightfully fester.

In honor...let's bring back an old friend:

b1c.gif

#neverforgetti

• Thumbs Up 3

How a year already?! Damn son, I remember the time everyone flipped their shit and laughed their asses off when we say the infamous glitch gif. And it went all downhill from then on, fueling the more paranoid fans and etc.

I still stand that the game is below average and do find the game serviceable if it wasn't buggy. But I won't defend the game as a Sonic game since it's really not but I'm not praising it either, it does some things right in some parts but it's just a pretty buggy but mediocre game.

I'll admit that Rise of Lyric is not a good Sonic game, but I wouldn't call it the second coming of '06 or anything.

I don't mind the core gameplay, aside from the inability to go fast whenever I want. In fact, this game is conceptually the kind of Sonic game I've wanted for years: Multiple playable characters, each with the same basic gameplay style but with enough unique abilities to stand out on their own, no nostalgic rehashing, more character interaction, and a fresh take on the Sonic formula.

Unfortunately, that just makes it hurt more when I look at the final product. The framerate turns this video game into a slideshow, the graphics are two generations behind, and need I even bring up the glitches? This is the only Sonic game that gives me a legitimate headache whenever I play it. (Which is gonna hurt, since I intend to 100% it someday, just for completion's sake.)

For what it's worth, I think this game has the best voice acting of any Sonic game aside from Black Knight, and when the characters aren't shouting stock phrases every second, some of their lines actually made me chuckle. (Unlike Knuckles) I think the story's... okay, for what it tries to accomplish. Yeah, there's blatant signs of cut content, but I like the overall theme of teamwork. And I think Lyric was a pretty interesting villain. Too bad he's as good as dead, since Flynn said he's off-limits for the comic, and he's been outright deconfirmed for the TV show.

I just hope, if Boom gets another console adventure someday, Sega will learn from their mistakes and not force Big Red Button or whoever to port the game to a system not designed to handle it, or rush the game out before it's done, a practice that nearly killed the franchise twice now.

• Thumbs Up 7

Happy Birthday Rise of Lyric! Even though it wasn't the best Sonic game, it was still a memorable part of Sonic's history. Here's to the next Sonic Boom game hopefully being much better!

• Thumbs Up 1

Happy birthday indeed.

If nothing else, it's helped set the bar so low that it will make a probably great game look absolutely godlike come next year.

• Thumbs Up 1

Wow a whole year. Time goes fast.o_O

I got to get my copy out and play it again just for the occasion.

My copy runs very smoothly so I don't have much issues providing I don't update. My copies a little weird but I enjoy it as a result.=)

Anyway happy Birthday Rise of lyric. Hopefully the next game is even better.=)

Edited by Super Sonic Speed
  • Thumbs Up 1

A year since this game came out huh. In its wake a decent enough cartoon, another game and okay merch spawned from it while this was left to rightfully fester.

In honor...let's bring back an old friend:

b1c.gif

#neverforgetti

Don't forget the other old friend, (which could be cured by a patch, but was made canon anyway)

WellmadeBossyAfricanfisheagle.gif

• Thumbs Up 1