Awoo.

Sonic Boom: Rise of Lyric (Wii U)

Bluecore

Oh Penders is going to throw another for over echidnas, backstory history and whatnot for sure.

Gosh, I hope so.

Oh Penders is going to throw another for over echidnas, backstory history and whatnot for sure.

Why would he raise a stink over this? Does he really think that one can copyright the use of a species?

• Thumbs Up 1

Didn't know where to post this....

Retro's Stealth posted an interesting tweet a few days ago....

"Wasn't on-board with Sonic Boom at first, but now I believe it needs to sell well. Can't say why; just trust I have a good reason to say so"

Stealth, who most will know - unless you've been living in a cave for the last 18 months - worked on the recent mobile ports of Sonic 1 and 2. Stealth went to E3 this year. His tweet is similar to the 'you really should buy these, just trust me on this' posts from Retro staff when it was first announced that Taxman and Stealth were working on the aforementioned ports of S1&2. The Retro staff basically meant to support StealthTax by buying the mobile versions because they are very talented, and if they do a good job - which they did - this could lead to great things.

So what is Stealth's tweet about? He obviously knows something we don't. I know most of us would like to see StealthTax work on a Sonic 3&K port or a new game entirely, but what if they've been asked to make a brand new mobile game based on the Boom franchise, maybe with 2d gameplay? We at least already know that there will be mobile games based on Sonic Boom in some format.

Okay we can only speculate, but you know what, the Sonic 1&2 ports received critical acclaim so maybe SEGA of America want to use StealthTax again? Hope that's true.

Hmmm, was already considering, will have to see for sure when it releases, but I always like a good co-op game to play with family and friends 

They are under SoA's thumb right? Either the S3 port or their own game with Boom!Sonic.

But Hell even if its Boom!Sonic, a TaxStealth Sonic game will be a fucking sonic game hands down. So I guess I'll support Boom. damnit...

... it honestly would not surprise me, but I have to wonder if he even owns the copyrights he filed for some of those stories still (not to mention, IIRC, SEGA actually filed for the entirety of the Knuckles series when these shenanigans started), not to mention he's had to alter his Echidnas into an alien species that are just in-name-only empty shells of their former selves. I just expect more passive-agressive "SEGA's gonna fail without me!" nonsense to pollute his twitter so laughs can be had. It also wouldn't surprise me if SEGA is policing the shit out of anything involving Echidnas to make sure Penders doesn't rear his head again.

As for Taxman's tweet... eh, I was thinking about picking up the Wii-U version anyway (despite some skepticism), and since I don't have any attachment to his work like so many others do, it wouldn't be for this reason. I feel like if SEGA was going to give them the greenlight for an updated S3&K or a new game, they would've done it already considering the "Remastered" ports of Sonic 1, 2 and CD have been well received. And, given some of what's coming out this Fall, and if I have to get only one game before Christmas, "Boom" isn't as high a priority right now.

Well yeah, if this game doesn't sell well it will be a colossal failure for SEGA. They put in millions into this project (show, game, toys) expecting it to make a lot of profit. If this game does well, more outsourced Sonic games will happen. If it doesn't do well, SEGA will pull the leash and tighten it once again.

Why would he raise a stink over this? Does he really think that one can copyright the use of a species?

Based on the whole lawsuit that got us the Archie comics reboot, I'd wager he does.

"Wasn't on-board with Sonic Boom at first, but now I believe it needs to sell well. Can't say why; just trust I have a good reason to say so"

Stealth, who most will know - unless you've been living in a cave for the last 18 months - worked on the recent mobile ports of Sonic 1 and 2. Stealth went to E3 this year. His tweet is similar to the 'you really should buy these, just trust me on this' posts from Retro staff when it was first announced that Taxman and Stealth were working on the aforementioned ports of S1&2. The Retro staff basically meant to support StealthTax by buying the mobile versions because they are very talented, and if they do a good job - which they did - this could lead to great things.

So what is Stealth's tweet about? He obviously knows something we don't. I know most of us would like to see StealthTax work on a Sonic 3&K port or a new game entirely, but what if they've been asked to make a brand new mobile game based on the Boom franchise, maybe with 2d gameplay? We at least already know that there will be mobile games based on Sonic Boom in some format.

Okay we can only speculate, but you know what, the Sonic 1&2 ports received critical acclaim so maybe SEGA of America want to use StealthTax again? Hope that's true.

Not to be rude, but not this again. I admittedly didn't buy the Taxman versions since my phone isn't capable of playing them, so I feel a bit like a dick complaining, but when that stuff was said, I was hopeful it actually meant something, but all we got was a fat load of nothing.

That said, I was planning on maybe buying Boom anyway, and this hasn't changed anything , so whatever, I guess>_>

• Thumbs Up 2

This game needs to sell well

Lets see now...

$20 million dollars on the Wii U game budget 

Unknown sum but gotta be in the several million for the 3DS budget.

Unknown sum but gotta be in the several million for the TV show.

Unknown sum for the toyline.

Gee I wonder why it has to sell well?

It has to sell well because this is something they'll want to continue for several years, it's not like past Sonic titles where they've been disposable, this HAS to do well because the idea is that it'll continue for years to come, and if it doesn't sell well, you can be there will be redundancies and downsizing at SOA, and before you think 'that won't happen' we'll just seen it happen at SOE!

Now before anyone thinks I'm prophesying Sega's downfall here... nope, SOJ is doing too well for that to happen. But the western arm of it is very frail right now, and it's obvious to anyone, "3 franchises only, one is a movie license, the other takes advantage of the most popular sport in Europe. Oh wait, technically 4th, Miku, which is not as popular as Sega and her fans think it is when it comes to games.

• Thumbs Up 2

Lets see now...

$20 million dollars on the Wii U game budget 

Unknown sum but gotta be in the several million for the 3DS budget.

Unknown sum but gotta be in the several million for the TV show.

Unknown sum for the toyline.

Gee I wonder why it has to sell well?

I was about to say that I dont at all trust someone who works for the company To tell me I need to get something and then using the I cant say why excuse.

But putting words in his mouth like that is a whole different story. Well I suppose it is just speculation on your part after all

Is it really confirmed that the Wii U title is on a $20 million budget? Cause personally it doesn't look like it. I'm starting to think they're talking about the Boom series (Wii U/3DS games, TV show, toys) as a whole.

I think both the games share the budget, toys and TV show go off a separate one.

By the way, I've just discovered something very interesting. The speed levels aren't full automated. You can slow down and stop.

Skip to the part where Sonic goes through the giant ring.

• Thumbs Up 3

Sorry to double post, but I've just discovered something very interesting. The speed levels aren't full automated. You can slow down and stop.

There was no need to double post you could have easily edited your previous post.

Anyway assuming that is the case which im stoll not sure it is.

Well its atleast an improvement I suppose(or a glitch). Heres hoping its not just them giving you the abillity to slow down if you cant handle the speed.

That's more to do with him glitching out on the boost pad more than anything, I'm guessing.

Although, I'm not entirely sure.

Sorry to double post, but I've just discovered something very interesting. The speed levels aren't full automated. You can slow down and stop.

Looks more like he glitched over the dashpad, really.

I'm not sure it's a glitch, because the player seems to be able to gain speed again just by running forward. It might be though.

Oh, by the way, sorry about double posting, is there any way a mod can merge the two posts?

I think it is a glitch, its like he hits something, its similar to later in the video when he hits another object and slows down again.

"Last one to the bottom is a rotten Eggman!" Oh God, I'm gonna love the dialogue in this game! biggrin.png And yeah it seems nice that you get freedom of speed. I noticed it a bit in one of the previews that Sonic slowed down, but I assumed it was because he hit an obstacle. I also noticed that you don't have to quick-step during these sequences. Nice. I was a bit worried it'd be the only way to move left and right, so it's nice to see you get quite a bit of freedom when controlling these speed sections.

Edit: Oh, wait after reading other posts it probably is because he hit something. Eh, I can still hope for freedom of speed choice, right?

Edited by SwiftWinds
  • Thumbs Up 1

If The Frostman (can I call you that?) is listening, could you specify whether this is meant to happen or if it's a glitch? If the later, it's a pretty neat glitch that I think should stay and be implemented.

I am pretty sure its a glitch and a lucky one at that. When in an automated section hitting something will slow you down but if you can make it that you never gained speed you will get the freedom to move around. If he moved around he'd probably either hit invincible walls to the side or fall out of the stage.

A similar example is seaside hill's modern stage the loop before the kart section. You can goo around it and be able to move freely. If you hit the boost you will get forced to go all the way and the invincible walls be there

"Wasn't on-board with Sonic Boom at first, but now I believe it needs to sell well. Can't say why; just trust I have a good reason to say so"

Apart from the economic reasons other members have said, I feel another reason why Stealth is saying this is because someone from SOA went to SOJ and pulled the "remember how in the 90s we made Sonic and Sega successful? You should give us control again."

If this project fails, it seems obvious SOJ is going to try to take even more control and give less changes for SOA to have more projects.

Though, at the same time, I hate messages like this. I only supported the mobile versions because they are solid games. When it comes to Sonic Boom, I'll probably support the TV show, but I'm not really going to support what seems to be a mediocre/sort of decent at best game for the vague promise of a "trust me guys."

• Thumbs Up 6

Taxman has commented on Stealth's twitter post.

"I only saw Stealth's comment on twitter, but I guess I add my own view - he's certainly not saying "you must by x copies of certain games make other things happen". Holding things to ransom is just silly, and I believe games need to be judged on their own merits. No one should feel obligated to buy a game if it turns out to be rubbish. Obviously, as developers and even fans of the series we have our own views on how the franchise could be handled (which if you can guess are pretty different to Sonic Boom).

That said, we understand how and why this new direction has come about and are hopeful Sonic Boom is a success since it can only help creatively and variety flourish within the Sonic brand in future. I personally had a chance to talk with one of the developers of the 3DS version at E3, and it was good fun exchanging our experiences working on Sonic."

Pretty much what we'd expect him to say.

I'm actually more optimistic-looking forward to Boom (Wii U) than I was with Lost World prior to it's release. At any rate there's nothing I've seen of Boom so far which makes it's look like a 'bad' game, if unremarkable perhaps.

• Thumbs Up 1

We will be going forward and back in time to explore areas at different time periods.

I

nterview is from a guy who doesnt even know the homing attack.Which isnt wrong in anyway mind you, but its worth mentioning

• Thumbs Up 1

I was wondering.

This game, is it being published in Europe by Nintendo? Or are Sega handling it?

Only, there was the big deal about how SLW couldn't be ported to other systems due to the distribution thing, Was curious if this game is in the same boat or not.