Awoo.

Sonic Boom: Rise of Lyric (Wii U)

Bluecore

Yeah those visuals do actually look quite nice now. Leagues better than before.

I knew there was something wrong with that footage when I first saw it, considering the reveal trailer had better looking environments. It's good to see that they were meant to look like they do now.

Re; the show (and games?) going to Japan.... why the heck wouldn't they try and sell it in every market they possibly can? Sure, Sonic isn't as popular there as he is in the West but there is still an audience, right? :/

Re; the show (and games?) going to Japan.... why the heck wouldn't they try and sell it in every market they possibly can? Sure, Sonic isn't as popular there as he is in the West but there is still an audience, right? :/

It's just odd considering that it was previously explicitly mentioned on more than one occasion that it wouldn't be release in Japan.

Probably because it was the deliberate mixing in of western influence that originally turned off the Japanese audiences to the franchise. Making it even more western is probably not going to go full circle and make it suddenly appealing. xP

Remember the whole "these graphics suck" comments from the Pre-E3 video and some people saying to wait for a more recent build? Well...

The graphics have definitely improved. I'm not entirely sure if this was posted, but it does prove that first impressions can easily change. Something "unfinished", "ugly", and "unpolished" can look way better in newer builds.

edit: lol. sonic stadium had this

Guys, at 0:38 sonic stops because a cube is in front of him, but then he uses a normal attack.

Probably because it was the deliberate mixing in of western influence that originally turned off the Japanese audiences to the franchise. Making it even more western is probably not going to go full circle and make it suddenly appealing. xP

It'd be the ultimate irony if anything else, first American produced game does good in Japan despite not caring about the franchise in years and bombs in the country it's being developed in.

Also, looking at the Wii U trailer, I wonder where in the story you wake Lyric up?

Because in the Pit, Sonic proclaims that he hates snakes meaning that this level must be after the releasing of Lyric. This level may also contain the snake boss we see at the end of the original trailer. In fact, it is very likely because we even see something breaking the wall in the E3 Gameplay (Pit Level). Also, there is no mention of lyric in Toxic Waste Dump, so it is likely that this is prior. Finally, the Eggman Boss fight has to be after the releasing because, when starting the boss fight Eggman says that after he is finished with Sonic, he is going to crush that snake (obviously implying Lyric).

It'd be the ultimate irony if anything else, first American produced game does good in Japan despite not caring about the franchise in years and bombs in the country it's being developed in.

Sonic Chronicles was the first American (NA territory even though it's not USA) produced game. It bombed everywhere except NA.

Tails changes the polarity of the energy shackles to create the enerbeam... Whatever that means.

Tails changes the polarity of the energy shackles to create the enerbeam... Whatever that means.

Well shackles would indicate that sonic and the team were imprisoned at some point.

Since they were energy shackles we can say the person who did the uh"prisoning" is well versed int technology which narrows it down to... every villains in this game.

Or perhaps its lyrics shackles that they released when lyric was freed.

That.... why.... Why can everyone reverse polarity D:< Okay I'm not serious but that wasn't a good. Idk Maybe it's just my hearing of "reverse the polarity" in so many (cartoon/animated) shows. I wish they woulda came up with something different but it's nothing that reallt matters in the long run, unless it's a story element.

I found this:

http://www.examiner.com/article/exclusive-interview-co-op-and-combat-will-help-redefine-an-icon-sonic-boom

That said, there will be special moments throughout the game within several Hub environments where players can access optional four-player modes.

I think this is kind of interesting. All this time I thought you accessed four-player mode through a menu or something.

The TV series actually lends itself as a prequel to the plot of the games.

Huh? I thought the games were the prequels to the cartoon. Or did I miss something?

Everything we've seen and heard about the game points to it being the prequel, so I seriously think that article has it accidently backwards.

EDIT: Or an IP spokesman, whatever.

• Thumbs Up 1

Everything we've seen and heard about the game points to it being the prequel, so I seriously think that article has it accidently backwards.

More like the sega rep has it backwards. Mr,Frost if your around can you shed some light in this confusion

• Thumbs Up 1

The cartoon definitely comes after the games, at least the Rise of Lyric which is where the gang first meet up. Many other articles have already said this so this one must have gotten it the wrong way round.

That.... why.... Why can everyone reverse polarity D:< Okay I'm not serious but that wasn't a good. Idk Maybe it's just my hearing of "reverse the polarity" in so many (cartoon/animated) shows. I wish they woulda came up with something different but it's nothing that reallt matters in the long run, unless it's a story element.

"reverse the polarity" is a kind of "hand-me-down" throughout television (it has it's origins in one of the greatest television characters of all time) used in place of more complicated sounding technobabble which would mean nothing to the audience anyway. It's sort of one big in-joke, like the Wilhelm Scream

• Thumbs Up 1

...*cough*

MORE IMPRESSIONS

and they're um

troubling

to say the least

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=842078

Let me be clear by saying that I’ve played nearly every single Sonic game. Yes, even the bad ones. As a Sonic fan from the early 90’s it’s hard to pass up any of his games. And even though people claim his 3D adventures sucked I actually enjoyed many of them especially SA, SA2, and Generations. Up until now though it’s been well known that Sonic 06 and Shadow the Hedgehog are the worst things to ever happen to the Sonic universe (Spinball for me). Well, after my time spent with the Sonic Boom E3 demo, I walked away frightened and shaken feeling that this could very well be the worst Sonic game made to date.

My E3 demo allowed me to explore a few of the game’s different themed levels. There was platforming, running, and a boss battle—each showing the unique aspects of Sonic Boom. The first platforming stage paired me up with Knuckles and it was sort of a brawler type stage. Straight from the get-go I felt something was incredibly off. The timing and precision when attacking enemies felt very clunky and some of my attacks barely registered. This also applied to many of the segments that involved jumping. Then came the lasso. Oh, god. Every time your character needs to pull something they would use this energy lasso, which in concept sounds interesting but ends up feeling dull in practice. It’s basically a web shot mechanic we see in Spiderman games except it’s highly broken and requires a lot of effort to get something simple accomplished. For example, when trying to move the box I had trouble trying to get the lasso to register properly and even when it did it required me to keep pressing down on the A button and move in a certain direction. The one before me (who was playing Sonic Boom at the Nintendo booth) gave up entirely because the lasso didn’t work half the time. I only did it because I wanted to see what was at the end of the demo. Turns out it was a mini-boss which can only be defeated using the lasso by throwing enemies at it. The only problem with was the throwing distance felt off. At times the enemies I threw landed close to where they were supposed to causing more frustration.

This leads to my next biggest problem with my Sonic Boom impression, the pacing. This game is slow. Like, Werehog stages slow, maybe even slower considering the lasso takes forever to get something done. I understand that this is an adventure take on the Sonic universe and I honestly don’t mind that at all. But between the long fights, and moving objects around, it just felt kinda boring. There were diversions that broke up the action. For instance I used the Wii U’s gamepad screen to scan the level for items and then dig them out using Knuckles.

Sonic Boom needs a lot of work. When I completed my demo I asked one of the reps at BigRedDot if these levels were final and to my horror he acknowledged it with a firm yes. I’m worried what will become of Sonic Boom and if it does turn out to be the next Sonic 06, then that’s a shame because there were some elements I enjoyed. I liked how the characters finally have personality, I enjoyed swapping characters on the fly, and the adventure elements really brought back the Sonic Adventure feel (which is something I haven’t felt in a long time). I want Sonic Boom to succeed but judging by my E3 impressions I fear it will be destined to fail.

Uh...

SO YEAH

Um...

:C

Geez, tough crowd. Anyone who preordered might wanna consider renting.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Crap. I was starting to really look foward to this game, too. I'm still going to give it a chance when the final product is released, but I think I might just get the 3DS version in the end. I really hope the game isn't going to be as bad as people are saying, but I haven't seen a positive review for it yet from those who played it.

I don't see anything new stated in that impression; don't know what's so troubling about it.

Though the part where he complains about holding down a button does amuse me.

• Thumbs Up 2

And to think I was starting to think Boom might be successful again. Stupid me.

He couldn't even get BigRedButton's name right.

So we should stricken this impression?

• Thumbs Up 3