Awoo.

Sonic Boom: Rise of Lyric (Wii U)

Bluecore

Actually that news makes me more worried about the music. The 3DS's music definitely sounds like something straight out of other handheld Sonic games, but the Wii U version sounds like an uninspired "epic orchestra" that a lot of tie-in movie licensed games use...and both of them are being done by the same guy who brought us 3D Blast? Is there another composer working on the Wii U version (or alternatively, 3DS version)? Or was Jacques told to compose music that was different from the series for the sake of being different?

It would be nice if you could had just stated your opinions on the game and your thoughts on the mood of the topic without bringing out generalizations to this topic and the people who discuss the game in this subforum as a whole.

The conflicting opinions go beyond "positive camp" and "negative camp", the discussions being held aren't "pointless battles", and so far I haven't seen anyone try to pull the "opinion" card when they are questioned on what they think about the game for the past ten pages (and if they do, they are quickly and rightfully called out for it). Not everything is as black and white as you're making it out to be and it's not ruining the topic as you cry it is.

Really disappointed to see the "complaining about 'complaining'" card still being pulled for people to express how they feel about something-whether it be a game, the atmosphere of a topic, or otherwise.

Fair point. To be honest I was just ranting and shooting in the dark, I've cooled down now and you're absolutely right, I think I'll go edit my post so it's less of a straw-man and idiotic generalisations. And If there's one thing worse than someone complaining, it's people complaining about complaining! smile.png

So, in summary, Paradox returning to make a complete ass of himself seems to be a reoccurring thing now. rolleyes.gif

Yep, those do exist.

Running out of rings won’t send you to a Game Over screen, either; as long as your partner is still standing, you’ll come back after a brief countdown, and if both characters fall at once you’ll simply restart from the last checkpoint.

That's pretty cool. Sounds a lot like Crash of the Titans when played in co-op mode.

One big change from the Sonic norm is that there were no bottomless pits; when we missed a zipline and feared the worst, we simply touched down rather unceremoniously into a lower area, and were able to work our way back up again, slowly but surely. The Big Red Button rep told us that this was part of an intentional plan to minimize frustration, and that the punishment for missteps in these sections would be slowing down, rather than starting over — definitely a plus for a younger audience and those not enamoured with the jump-or-die design of earlier Sonic games. 

I'm really happy to hear that. Sonic games tend to be really bad about the bottomless pits, and it's good to know they're cutting back on those here.

• Thumbs Up 2

yeah, But you should know Negative reaction is far more than positive reaction.

Running out of rings won’t send you to a Game Over screen, either; as long as your partner is still standing, you’ll come back after a brief countdown, and if both characters fall at once you’ll simply restart from the last checkpoint.

Hmm. sounds interesting.. but where is the source?

yeah, But you should know Negative reaction is far more than positive reaction.

So? He never said anything about overall impressions. He just found another source giving their thoughts and they so happened to be positive. No amount of negative impressions from other places stops their positivity from being valid.

So? He never said anything about overall impressions. He just found another source giving their thoughts and they so happened to be positive. No amount of negative impressions from other places stops their positivity from being valid.

Pretty much.

And to be honest even though i read the negative impressions & some of the positive impressions in the end all boils down to me playing the game.

I just cant judge a game if i dont play it myself. Its like a ritual or something for me. Like people can say that its a bad game but i'd like it or vice versa.

Sure some impressions or reading, watching stuff from the game can give me a better of what i am gettin into but i will hold my opinion until i play the gam & from what i've seen, read so far. It seems that i will be playing a game very different from what i've been used to and i will probably like it.

• Thumbs Up 5

Pretty much.

And to be honest even though i read the negative impressions & some of the positive impressions in the end all boils down to me playing the game.

I just cant judge a game if i dont play it myself. Its like a ritual or something for me. Like people can say that its a bad game but i'd like it or vice versa.

Sure some impressions or reading, watching stuff from the game can give me a better of what i am gettin into but i will hold my opinion until i play the gam & from what i've seen, read so far. It seems that i will be playing a game very different from what i've been used to and i will probably like it.

I've kinda had that similar feeling too, like when I was hearing mixed reactions when Sonic Lost World came out. But, I decided to judge the game on my own merits and I actually found it pretty fun, although there were some flaws that really could've been fixed and it irked me a bit, but I still enjoyed it for what it was. So, I'm going to do the same thing with Sonic Boom.

• Thumbs Up 1

Richard Jacques behind the Wii U music too huh?  Interesting, though doesn't make the music any better.  He has done more filmic scores in the past.  I remember he was having an interview on the radio once that I tuned in to during a small segment they did on video game music, and they used samples from the Alice in Wonderland game he worked on.  I remember thinking it wasn't bad music but it felt like a really weird example to use because it basically sounded like a film score, not at all videogamey lol (in the sense that it lacked a strong melody, felt more like action to action music - perhaps the sample was from a cut-scene but who knows).

Games this big rarely have just one composer though.  Considering most people have said they quite like the guardian chase music, it'd be funny if Jacques was behind that but the other composer was behind the rest.  I could see Jacques being behind the demo's speed stage music though - I mean Jacques didn't shy away from varied, non-electronic soundfonts in 3D Blast.

Of course I'll be eating my hat if I've got this completely wrong and Jacques is behind the music I didn't care for!

Well, this is the guy that brought us this:

Which is hilariously unfitting for a 16-bit game.

Seriously, it's like your only porpuse is to kill every little bit of hope and happyness in this forum. What are you trying to accomplish with this behavior?

And I would like to know what you are you trying to accomplish with this accusation-seriously. I'm really not sure why you feel calling this member out was okay with their negative thoughts regarding Sonic Boom when so many others have expressed the same thing, myself included, admittedly. It doesn't matter whether this member tends to be a "Negative Nancy" or not, as being such isn't against the rules whether we like it or not. That said, we can respectfully contest against what they said or we can simply ignore it.

I'm actually responding to this because I've noticed that certain members around here tend to be criticized both excessively and needlessly on top of being ripped to shreds sans mercy by some here for their thoughts and opinions and I am beyond sick and tired of it as it simply isn't necessary nor is it right for that to continuously keep happening with seemingly every single thing that they say. Not to mention I don't think it's fair at all to be accusing the member in question to be 'killing every little bit of hope and happiness in this forum' when others have been far more cynical around here as of late in comparison. 

• Thumbs Up 9

Well, this is the guy that brought us this:

Which is hilariously unfitting for a 16-bit game.

That's the thing though, it has a really strong melody.  You could pretty much translate that into a 16-bit form and it wouldn't lose too much of the feeling.

One of my fave tracks actually, though I prefer the other act slightly.

EDIT: Also agree with Blue Blood below, I didn't find it unfitting.  Remember the Saturn/PC version had a decent upgrade of graphical fidelity regarding the textures, animation and stage details.

I fail to see the problem with that track fitting into 3D Blast at all.

• Thumbs Up 3

I fail to see the problem with that track fitting into 3D Blast at all.

It's the juxtaposition of this huge, dramatic, epic orchestral score placed over tinny 16-bit graphics. It just doesn't match up in my mind and sounds so out-of-place.

It's the juxtaposition of this huge, dramatic, epic orchestral score placed over tinny 16-bit graphics. It just doesn't match up in my mind and sounds so out-of-place.

3g0m.gif urv0.png

There was a fairly significant upgrade in atmosphere on the Saturn imo.  I personally didn't find it stranger than any of the other millions of PC games at the time still running on aged graphics but eager to take advantage of redbook audio soundtracks lol.

I dunno, to me music is a huge part of atmosphere anyway.  Without the music Volcano Valley isn't that dramatic sure but with the music... it is!

• Thumbs Up 4

3g0m.gif urv0.png

There was a fairly significant upgrade in atmosphere on the Saturn imo.  I personally didn't find it stranger than any of the other millions of PC games at the time still running on aged graphics but eager to take advantage of redbook audio soundtracks lol.

I guess you have a point. *looks at Sonic CD*

But maybe it's just something I'd have to play to understand.

Seriously, it's like your only porpuse is to kill every little bit of hope and happyness in this forum. What are you trying to accomplish with this behavior?

SImple, see earlier back, Omote has confessed to hating SEGA because their games aren't released in his region. Thus he enacts on these tirades to do everything in his power to see SEGA bankrupt so that Sonic can bought out by another company.  Crazy as that is.

SImple, see earlier back, Omote has confessed to hating SEGA because their games aren't released in his region. Thus he enacts on these tirades to do everything in his power to see SEGA bankrupt so that Sonic can bought out by another company.  Crazy as that is.

You're putting yourself over some pretty shaky ground there jova.

You're putting yourself over some pretty shaky ground there jova.

Except I actually have a quote of him admitting to hating SEGA and hoping they go bankrupt. Evidence is everything after all. Granted you may not have seen that since it was brought up at a far back different time and in a different, more relevant thread, so I can understand why that may have been missed. However, I'd rather not risk the strike to bring it into this thread.

Richard Jacques as composer?

Wasn't he the one on the soundtrack of Sonic R?

While I can't remember the game itself well, I still have the soundtrack [well, the lyrical versions of tracks].

The songs there are fine, so if he is one of the composers, I'd be interested in seeing what he worked on with Boom.

Richard Jacques as composer?

Wasn't he the one on the soundtrack of Sonic R?

While I can't remember the game itself well, I still have the soundtrack [well, the lyrical versions of tracks].

The songs there are fine, so if he is one of the composers, I'd be interested in seeing what he worked on with Boom.

He also did a couple of compositions in ASRT and sonic generations too.

Except I actually have a quote of him admitting to hating SEGA and hoping they go bankrupt. Evidence is everything after all.

You claim to have evidence which means nothing in this court. Additionally it would be kinda against the rules to bring it up right now. So your evidence is essentially nonexistent.

Also on the topic of the music producers... This game is being made by people who brought us a bunch of great games but it still looks bad.

At this point I really dont care who is working on what the only thing that matters to me at this point are results and the music hasnt been exactly impressive so far.