Awoo.

Sonic Boom: Rise of Lyric (Wii U)

Bluecore

Impressions from Ntower.de at a post-E3 Nintendo event in Frankfurt.
Hands-On Sonic Boom: Rise of Lyric

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K8B6kXM8yUk

(Google Translate)

Sonic Boom SEGA has announced a brand that will act as a quasi Neuauferstehung. Starting from the character design to the market orientation SEGA wants to bring the Sonic brand in this kind of spin-off in a different light. Sonic Boom is therefore in the West start this year as a series on television and in particular inspire children and young people from the blue hedgehog. Apparently there is enough in this day and age no longer able to produce video games, you have to enter in the TV industry. In addition to the TV show, there will be two games coming exclusively to Nintendo 3DS and Wii U. We had the opportunity to Sonic Boom at Nintendo in Frankfurt on the Post-E3-Event 2014: Rise of Lyric to play for the Wii U. Whether the hedgehog is still on the road as fast as before?

The demo for Sonic Boom: Rise of Lyric could be shown just before the end of the event. For this reason, I could deal with the game myself just a few minutes. But even this short scan time could give me a good idea of what will probably expect in the full version. As in the 3DS demo it went into a jungle. The biggest change from the previous Sonic parts is the large-scale elimination of the fast passages. It steered rather like a typical Crash Bandicoot or Skylanders, that has continuously to offer new puzzles deposits. Though Sonic can still his typical homing attack and spin dash run, but the race is as good as scarce become. Often there are events in which you have to beat up a certain number of opponents to get ahead. In this case, you can always change the characters. The level shown but I could only choose Sonic or Knuckles. Of course, Knuckles makes when it comes to beatings of opponents, a better figure. Otherwise was in Sonic Boom: Rise of Lyric and otherwise asked team play. So there were places where a character with its glowing whips moving bridges and the other had to simultaneously pull in places. More on teamplay elements I got but unfortunately can not be seen. The control worked, unfortunately very notchy. The characters played their way to still really vague and unclean, so it made ​​little fun, they should move somewhere. One has but well I like: Sonic's instincts. namely Sonic can turn into a certain mode (unfortunately you could not tell us exactly how this is called), where you can see her some evidence on the floor or on the walls. With the GamePad you have then you look around freely and explore the world exactly. In the demo had in this way an X found on the ground to dig up a switch so that it could be activated. It would be nice if more of these elements would appear in the full version. The graphics looked in some places not look good. It did not match the trailers and screenshots shown that we know so far. There were some muddy textures that are no longer likely to happen in the Wii U age. That makes the whole considered Sonic Lost World so far a better figure. Unfortunately we could not approve any impressions of the music, as they could not be heard due to the surrounding noise.

Sonic Boom: Rise of Lyric will probably be average fare for the Wii U. A blockbuster of SEGA we can not expect, since there are some places where it just falls short. Personally, I also highly doubt that to the controller and the system is still much changed. Of course, to be hoped that the weak demo is the final game does not do justice. We will see in the review. Author: Dennis Meppiel Thanks to Nintendo for the kind invitation to Frankfurt!

http://www.ntower.de/WiiU/Angespielt/6710-Sonic-Boom-Rise-of-Lyric/

ShopTo

Sonic Boom WiiU/3DS (Nintendo Post E3 Tour)

Another year and another Sonic the Hedgehog game, but is this the game to remind us why we adore our spiky friend or is it yet another missed opportunity; having a decent hands on with the 3DS version I have mixed feelings. On a positive note the game has taken a classic 2D platform approach which is the trend for the 3DS versions (the WiiU is a 3D platformer), offering the usual who’s who of characters and enemies for Sonic and his pals to deal with. This time around though you are able to quick switch between characters and use their individual skills to unlock areas and progress through the world with Sonic unleashing an electric current to remove shields from certain enemies and also blast through walls, Tails can use thermals to fly to higher areas and Knuckles can use his hands to dig into the ground to find secret tunnels.

On the negative side, the game world already felt samey even after a short play through, with it being quite easy to be fooled into thinking you have been somewhere before plus the actual end game of the level was very hard to work out, leaving me to just wander around as I switched characters trying different things out. The largest crime and one that happens far too often is that Sonics legendary speed has yet again been reduced, with him moving around like he is in treacle.

With only a short play though on offer there is plenty to get excited about and I was enjoying the character swap puzzle element so here’s hoping for more of the same in the final product.

http://www.shopto.com.br/news/46526/Hands-on-With-Nintendo-s-latest-titles-Smash-Bros-Kirby-and-Sonic-Boom

I think what just makes me mad about this game is that I don't see...like...improvement in a sense for the 1 side of the coin curse that we have been getting from games these days when it comes to Sonic.

I'm just tired of never getting the full package with Sonic. Its either the narrative is really strong (Sonic and the Black Knight) and the gameplay is shit. Or the Gameplay is reallyy good, but the narrative is shit (Sonic Generations).

The thing about narrative however is that good narrative ends to make a game a lot less boring in the mind. Good gameplay is something you can appreciate unless its incredibly fleshed out (Godhand, Bayonetta, DMC3/DMC4), but good NARRATIVE is something that sticks with you a lot longer or fuck narrative in general. Sonic's gameplay is not deep enough to  carry a game. The reason why the Sonic Adventure games are still talked about today is for the fact that it atleast HAD A STORY TO TALK AND SPECULATE ABOUT! And the characters has at least a semblance of personality for the atmosphere they were in. This is why people remember the Rush games more than the Advance games or why Sonic 3 and K gets more love than Sonic 2.

Now we finally might get a chance of that in Boom...but guess what!? The gameplay is SUBPAR!  Same Shit Different Game!

I'm just pissed that the people at SEGA and Sonic Team don't get this. I would kill for something like Sonic Boom's Atmosphere with Unleashed gameplay. I'm tired of buying games and feeling like their downloadable titles that you finish in a few hours and never touch it again. I want a Universe to talk about DAMN IT! Mario's Universe is more interesting than SEGA Sonic now...there something very wrong with that.

• Thumbs Up 6

I think what just makes me mad about this game is that I don't see...like...improvement in a sense for the 1 side of the coin curse that we have been getting from games these days when it comes to Sonic.

I'm just tired of never getting the full package with Sonic. Its either the narrative is really strong (Sonic and the Black Knight) and the gameplay is shit. Or the Gameplay is reallyy good, but the narrative is shit (Sonic Generations).

The thing about narrative however is that good narrative ends to make a game a lot less boring in the mind. Good gameplay is something you can appreciate unless its incredibly fleshed out (Godhand, Bayonetta, DMC3/DMC4), but good NARRATIVE is something that sticks with you a lot longer or fuck narrative in general. Sonic's gameplay is not deep enough to  out and carry a game. 

I'm just pissed that the people at SEGA and Sonic Team don't get this. I would kill for something like Sonic Boom's Atmosphere with Unleashed gameplay. I'm tired of buying games and feeling like their downloadable titles that you finish in a few hours and never touch it again. I want a Universe to talk about DAMN IT! Mario's Universe is more interesting than SEGA Sonic now...there something very wrong with that.

Well on the upside it looks like it plays better than Black Knight or Secret Rings at  least, no motion controls 

Well on the upside it looks like it plays better than Black Knight or Secret Rings at  least, no motion controls 

So we went from shit to slightly smelly shit. 

I know what you mean though, but these steps in progress don't fucking matter when you take 2 steps back ever title you release. Its the most frustrating thing about the franchise to me.

The thing about narrative however is that good narrative ends to make a game a lot less boring in the mind. Good gameplay is something you can appreciate unless its incredibly fleshed out (Godhand, Bayonetta, DMC3/DMC4), but good NARRATIVE is something that sticks with you a lot longer or fuck narrative in general. Sonic's gameplay is not deep enough to  carry a game. The reason why the Sonic Adventure games are still talked about today is for the fact that it atleast HAD A STORY TO TALK AND SPECULATE ABOUT! And the characters has at least a semblance of personality for the atmosphere they were in. This is why people remember the Rush games more than the Advance games or why Sonic 3 and K gets more love than Sonic 2.

Now we finally might get a chance of that in Boom...but guess what!? The gameplay is SUBPAR!  Same Shit Different Game!

It's funny how before we seen actual footage of the gameplay a few months ago you wanted BRB to outshine or snuff out Sonic Team. Now you're singing a different tune, lol.

• Thumbs Up 1

It's funny how before we seen actual footage of the gameplay a few months ago you wanted BRB to outshine or snuff out Sonic Team. Now you're singing a different tune, lol.

That hasn't really changed either. I'm just stating that Sonic forever damned to never having a full fledged experience ever again. I really given up on Sonic Team unless SEGA themselves change the mentality when it comes to Sonic as a brand.

Bleh, I missed it. Forgot all about it and slept in.

You missed all of the drunken cocktail shenanigans D: All devs should showcase their games at a bar.

I'm honestly with Voyant on that whole never giving a full package thing, so it's really frustrating. It's either one extreme or the other extreme.

At this point, I'm far more interested in seeing if "they do it right THIS time" than looking forward to a game. I think that's a problem, I shouldn't have that mentality.

At any rate, I find it weird that Iizuka was making a face... isn't he, like, supposed to be overseeing this? Shouldn't he already know what this stuff is like well before showing it? If he's making a bad face, it's like he was surprised of how it turned out -- which would suggest he had minimal involvement.

How can we already state that we don't have "full package" if we just saw four levels and the plot is still not that clear?

• Thumbs Up 1

It doesn't really put Sonic Team in a better light though. Just because somebody else made a mistake doesn't excuse Sonic Team from their mistakes automatically. 

Imagining Iizuka drinking his pain away while the gameplay reel of Boom plays is probably one of the funniest mental images I could ever have. 

I wish I could see footage of this. Iizuka not clapping at the Boom trailer while everyone else is would make my year.

• Thumbs Up 8

It doesn't really put Sonic Team in a better light though. Just because somebody else made a mistake doesn't excuse Sonic Team from their mistakes automatically. 

What mistake?

How can we already state that we don't have "full package" if we just saw four levels and the plot is still not that clear?

Because we've seen enough to know exactly what the core and bulk of the gameplay consists of, and how the narrative will play out. Saying that Boom falls short in the gameplay department is a very fair judgement.

• Thumbs Up 2

I'm also speaking about past experiences as well. A past that has repeated time and time again.

The gameplay sucks so much that even Sonic Team used homing attacks instead of combat.

• Thumbs Up 3

The gameplay sucks so much that even Sonic Team used homing attacks instead of combat.

If the game allows you to use homing attacks instead of forcing you to combat, the gameplay doesn't suck THAT much.

• Thumbs Up 2

What mistake?

Oh, by mistake, I meant actions they made that didn't go down well either people and such. Maybe mistake wasn't the right word.

Lyric makes his minions wield trumpets and other instruments? What kind of villain who's supposed to be so dark and serious would do that unless they had a musical them--oh.

Will be disappointed if they don't give Lyric a Broadway style musical cutscene where he sings about his nefarious deeds.

• Thumbs Up 2

If Lyric is gonna sing musical numbers then it's like BRB is going out of their way to tell me not to play this game. :P

• Thumbs Up 1

If Lyric is gonna sing musical numbers then it's like BRB is going out of their way to tell me not to play this game. tongue.png

Different strokes I guess. Personally I'd love to see him have this quirk, I think I'd bring some fun to the character.

• Thumbs Up 2

I'm just saying that some people that was once really optimistic and had a lot of faith in BRB and are so quick to say "BRB is going to save the franchise!", " I'm glad Sonic Team isn't working on this", "BRB knows Sonic better then Sonic Team" and "Boom should replace the main series", etc are now waiting for the rumored Sonic Team 2015 game when they saw the raw gameplay footage. This is Sonic Chronicles deja vu all over again.

If BRB first Sonic game ends up doing worse then a Sonic Team game even when they're doing a lot of the things the fans has been waiting for like playable characters, bigger focus on character interactions, stronger narrative and a meaningful story but all that effort in trying to build a bigger world for Sonic and narrative will fall flat on it's face if a lot of people find the actual gameplay to be subpar or nothing special. I think outside the fanbase, not that many people care and are willing to play through a mediocre or bad Sonic game for it's story and writing. They could watch youtube for that.