Awoo.

Sonic Boom: Rise of Lyric (Wii U)

Bluecore

For so long I had thought that BRB was responsible for the Rise of Lyric disaster, but WOW. All this info seems to point that SEGA and Sonic Team are responsible for this. Just wow.

• Thumbs Up 2

Man, all those ideas sounded awesome, This could've been the "mario odessy" of the sonic games. :P

But really though, sega is the reason knuckles is dumb? 80% exploration? 

Im not sure how the reception would have been had the old ideas made it but I'm sure it would have gotten a lot of love by me and some other fans.

Just goes to show how much sega and sonic team is out of touch with the fanbase.

They're even afraid to experiment with spinoffs.

• Thumbs Up 6

1 hour ago, RedFox99 said:

While do I find the show to be decent, it's clear that the show's crew probably shouldn't have been given creative control over the game.

Agreed. People who do not have experience or training in making video games should not be put in charge of major, big budget video game projects. Animation production is very different than video game production-- for one, its a lot easier and quicker to make changes in animation than it is in video games.

----

But yeah, I've already said my piece in the RoL topic.

However, I will also add that I don't really like the realism thing. I don't mind the developers taking inspiration from real world locations and cities (It worked out pretty well for Unleashed, after all), but Sonic is at heart a surreal, cartoon hedgehog and that is nothing to be ashamed of but rather to be embraced to create unique, memorable environments. When people take realism too far, they either end up making Sonic looking completely unfitting for the environment (hi Sonic 06) or end up changing Sonic's appearance so much that he looks really ugly and/or uncanny (hi Sonic Fan Film). So good call there, Sega... and bad call nearly everywhere else.

• Thumbs Up 5

On 7/12/2017 at 10:40 AM, Mad Convoy said:

But still, Sega, you do not tell a bunch of people who are not experienced with making video games to seize control of a video game project. You especially do not do this 8 months before said game is to be released with no hope of delay, or let them make a ton of changes when the developers only have 8 months to apply them and are already strained. Somebody who is not experienced with making video games, such as a person accustomed to working on televised animation, wouldn't know that all those changes being asked of BRB are untenable in 8 months, but a video game publishing company executive or manager really should because that is kind of in their job description to make feasible suggestions about the direction of a game.

That may have been one of the most questionable business choices to do with a game.

• Thumbs Up 2

It's a shame because BRB were given the blame for the game when it seems they had put a lot of effort into it only for it to crumble.

• Thumbs Up 3

Uh guys... we've been talking about it all week

Also I was going to do an article on this only... not much of this information is that new aside from the design doc, a lot of it is based on the information I gathered two years ago with these articles.

https://www.sonicstadium.org/2014/11/the-spin-sonic-boom-what-happened-part-1/

https://www.sonicstadium.org/2014/11/the-spin-sonic-boom-what-the-heck-happened-part-2-4/

• Thumbs Up 3

To be quite frank, this project was doomed to be meddled with from the start, and I don't know why they were even allowed to develop the Sonic Origins idea beyond the idea stage. The Sonic Synergy stuff may have been more salvageable, but even that sounds like it was conflicting with Sonic mandates. If it had come out in the origins form, I would wholly expect Sonic Team to ignore it the same way they ignore Chronicles.

But hey, at least it confirms my theory that Knuckles being made dumb was a deliberate redirection of the character for SA1 onward and not an accidental oversight. 

• Thumbs Up 5

While BRB undoubtedly did not have the best ideas/designs in the world... SEGA/SonicTeam regardless really screwed them over in many ways doing more harm then good. Also I wish SonicTeam would stop with this nonsense...

"Only Eggman & Tails can be inventors."

"We might be doing Sonic's origins in the future. So we won't allow you to do it in your alternate universe Sonic."

And so many other strange rules Sonic Team has been making that doesn't help make the series any better.

• Thumbs Up 6

14 hours ago, Lord-Dreamerz said:

While BRB undoubtedly did not have the best ideas/designs in the world... SEGA/SonicTeam regardless really screwed them over in many ways doing more harm then good. Also I wish SonicTeam would stop with this nonsense...

"Only Eggman & Tails can be inventors."

"We might be doing Sonic's origins in the future. So we won't allow you to do it in your alternate universe Sonic."

And so many other strange rules Sonic Team has been making that doesn't help make the series any better.

I know Sonic's their property but sometimes the mandates Sega make can hinder the series like the one where he's not allowed to cry.

• Thumbs Up 1