Awoo.

Sonic Boom: Shattered Crystal (3DS)

Blue Blood

Yes but he can fly in most of the other games. Not to mention that in this game he's not carrying anyone and he's not in a mech.

I was under the impression that he cant fly in the wii u version either. Plus Knuckles can glide in either version

Tails flying on his own is overall meant to break the level design in every game he's in, and it fits, due to the skip-half-the-level nature of the main series gameplay. However, RoL and SC both rely on character and puzzle based routes, and since breaking the level design for such games just makes the other characters inferior, I think it's fine and dandy if he sticks to whirlwinds for these games.

^ That makes a little more sense but then why does Sonic have the boost and such if he has to stop and solve puzzles? I suppose I won't understand properly until I actually get to play the game :)

^ That makes a little more sense but then why does Sonic have the boost and such if he has to stop and solve puzzles? I suppose I won't understand properly until I actually get to play the game smile.png

Sonic doesn't have the Boost in this game, at least not when I last checked. He has a jump dash thing instead but it's nowhere near as effective as the boost.

3. We have not seem any cutscenes for this game. I know that doesn't necessarily mean there won't be any but the fact that we've had some Wii U cutscenes and no 3DS cutscenes tells me that there's a strong possibility that I'll be looking at a static text box. Lost World showed that the 3DS is perfectly capable of handling cutscenes so they have no excuse for this game.

It was confirmed at E3 that there would be cutscenes. Both pre-rendered ones and non pre-rendered ones.

^ Thank you smile.png My internet was down so I couldn't watch E3 sad.png

Sonic doesn't have the Boost in this game, at least not when I last checked. He has a jump dash thing instead but it's nowhere near as effective as the boost.

My apologies, I misheard the person in the review I watched lol

Despite what I said though I am really looking forward to this game smile.png

I'm going to continue waiting for a game in which I can once again play as Tails with free-range flight which was the reason I loved playing as him in the first place.

I don't like what I've seen of the 3DS footage so far. You switch to different characters in order to solve different puzzles, I'm not a fan of this kind of game design because I don't feel like I'm actually playing as someone; rather, it feels more like I'm using a tool to bypass a segment that's only there to justify that character being there at all. It's basically what Heroes was.

• Thumbs Up 4

I'm going to continue waiting for a game in which I can once again play as Tails with free-range flight which was the reason I loved playing as him in the first place.

I don't like what I've seen of the 3DS footage so far. You switch to different characters in order to solve different puzzles, I'm not a fan of this kind of game design because I don't feel like I'm actually playing as someone; rather, it feels more like I'm using a tool to bypass a segment that's only there to justify that character being there at all. It's basically what Heroes was.

While I can tolerate the gameplay itself, I admit, I've never been a fan of games that 'force' you to use a mechnic just to continue onward instead of exploring, improvising, or just using general skill to bypass the obstacle as a person sees fit.  When it's applied to characters, it's more frustrating, as I tend to have a 'favorite' I like using and will stick with said favorite even if it's easier to use someone else (hell, sometimes it's more fun figuring out ways to bypass the obstacle that way).  Here, I'm going to be forced to swap out and possibly constantly.  I can see myself getting annoyed fast.

By no means do I think the game won't be fun and tolerable to play.  Heck, it looks solid and is getting positive feedback.  But I can see it getting annoying with that mechnic implemented.  That and personally, I'm not a fan of the rival race crap already, but then I never was.  I'm really hoping they're optional, but it's not looking like it.

• Thumbs Up 1

I think i've figured it out! Sonic Boom, a spin off of the chaos emeralds (chaos crystals), time travel, Amy captured, Metal Sonic, we're traveling through time and space! I mean, we're getting a modern Sonic CD!

• 10 months later...

A year later...

All those people bitching that my OP was so biased against the game and saying that it actually looked good. 

lol

Eh, to me it seems like people were calling you out on bashing the genre than the game. The game sucks not because it's a Metroidvania title but because the developers executed it so badly.

All those people bitching that my OP was so biased against the game and saying that it actually looked good. 

Welcome to the club brother blood!

It's a very exclusive club, currently members are Me, Slingerland and urm... you!

• Thumbs Up 1

Eh, to me it seems like people were calling you out on bashing the genre than the game. The game sucks not because it's a Metroidvania title but because the developers executed it so badly.

Bashing the genre? I didn't do any such thing. I only ever bashed the game for looking like crap. And hey ho whaddaya know...

Bashing the genre? I didn't do any such thing.

Your complaints about being slow, flat, and clunky are pretty much attributed to the genre itself.

I mean yeah the game is crap but I just feel like that it's almost impossible to tell from the little information we got. As your OP said, we did have several positive impressions of the game.

I still think the game is the better of the two and not really the worst thing I've ever played.  It didn't live up to expectations, but I mean, it wasn't bad for most of the reasons I remember you stating.

• Thumbs Up 3

Welcome to the club brother blood!

It's a very exclusive club, currently members are Me, Slingerland and urm... you!

Count me in for that club as well.

I had no faith in Sanzaru Games from the very beginning, judging from how dull and uninspired Sly 4 was.

Count me in for that club as well.

I had no faith in Sanzaru Games from the very beginning, judging from how dull and uninspired Sly 4 was.

Yeah but you didn't break the news/make the first topic about it. 

There has been this misguided belief that if you make a topic on SSMB, you should remain neutral in the OP about it as it apparently influences people. Well as we've found out tons of times, this is totally wrong. The content/quality of the game eventually influences how people will react to stuff, Black Knight, SLW, Unleashed, Generations, Boom. The OP usually doesn't last past the first 3 pages in a game topic like this, so it's really such a non issue. 

Yet if you make a topic about a game and are not that impressed but everybody else loves it, somehow it's your fault.

• Thumbs Up 2

I still think the game is the better of the two and not really the worst thing I've ever played.  It didn't live up to expectations, but I mean, it wasn't bad for most of the reasons I remember you stating.

It's clunky and slow, it's not much to look at and the level design is pretty unfun, regardless of whether or not it's a Sonic game. Those are the reasons I gave back then, and imo they all hold true in addition to some other things that came about over time, such as the story and length.

Making a Metroidvania or a variation thereof is fine. It's not the genre I'm critical of, because much like in RoL the genre is sound. It all came together in a really bad way with virtually no redeeming qualities.

There has been this misguided belief that if you make a topic on SSMB, you should remain neutral in the OP about it as it apparently influences people.

Neutral or positive. Positive comments in the OP are fine, it's just negative ones that are frowned upon because reasons.

I mean yeah the game is crap but I just feel like that it's almost impossible to tell from the little information we got.

I dunno. I mean we saw this sizeable chunk of footage which gave us a very good impression of the game, along with a few previews and more footage soon after at E3. There's plenty there to make a judgement on. 

The game is decent and I enjoyed my time with it. Though it doesn't come without my own complaints. The fact that there is only 1 official boss battle sucks right off the bat. No those rival races to me aren't boss battles.  I kind of wished the tunnel levels had a little more variety and when the sections where it was slightly 2.5d I wish I had more control. I won't take the boost pad just to pretend I was experiencing it myself.

Though many may not like it but I liked switching between characters during the main levels and I liked the layouts of the levels as well. 

One think I will say is that I'm tired of Sega giving the handheld the afterthought treatment. I read or heard that this game was completed in a year. Why Sega ( though ROL didn't do better with more time either). do you just plop a project to someone and give them less time to work on it?

Yeah but you didn't break the news/make the first topic about it. 

There has been this misguided belief that if you make a topic on SSMB, you should remain neutral in the OP about it as it apparently influences people. Well as we've found out tons of times, this is totally wrong. The content/quality of the game eventually influences how people will react to stuff, Black Knight, SLW, Unleashed, Generations, Boom. The OP usually doesn't last past the first 3 pages in a game topic like this, so it's really such a non issue. 

Yet if you make a topic about a game and are not that impressed but everybody else loves it, somehow it's your fault.

haha, so that's what this is about eh?

Never heard about such a belief in any other forums I've posted, guess I don't hang around SSMB that much to catch this sort of thing.

The SLW damage control was pretty funny in retrospect though.