Awoo.

RUMOUR: Next Sonic Game Allegedly has a working prototype - "Another new gameplay style? But we just got one...no...two!"

Willsy

That is actually an interesting thought, what would an open world Sonic be like? I mean with stages that are located inside the open world, not just the open world acting as a hub. If they made a game with the map size of GTA V, that would take years to develop and it would still be too small to situate 'stages' within the open world for the boost. It would probably have to be a slower gameplay like Adventure, even then, that's probably only barely enough.

...and I do mean open world

No. Just no. Sonic is a speedy platformer. If they go that route it will have clear problems, little platforming and way too many open empty spaces.

Not to mention it would get in the way of the speed element of the game.

The platformer is a genre that is linear by nature, I can understand exploration via alternate routes like the classics and Generations, but if they turn it into a sandbox game it won't be able to have a focus.

Before anyone mentions the N64 era, those games worked(though Mario 64 shows its age cause of it) cause speed wasn't a main element that needed to be there.

Sandbox style exploration and Sonic speed gameplay are elements that clash cause the design of each contradicts the other.

That is actually an interesting thought, what would an open world Sonic be like? I mean with stages that are located inside the open world, not just the open world acting as a hub. If they made a game with the map size of GTA V, that would take years to develop and it would still be too small to situate 'stages' within the open world for the boost. It would probably have to be a slower gameplay like Adventure, even then, that's probably only barely enough.

That leads us to an interesting point: the map would have to be colossal, much larger than any other open world game because Sonic travels so much faster than any other video game character. The only other thing you could do about it is to slow Sonic down, while still giving him the impression of speed, then you wouldn't need to create a map so ridiculously big.

Which is sort-of what Big Red Button have done with Sonic Boom. I know that game is not "open-world," but they have slowed him down so he's not blowing through their large, exploration stages in the blink of an eye.

I honestly would be surprised if the Sonic Team of today actually decided to do a genuine revisit of anything made by the old guard of Sonic Team (that being any game made prior to Secret Rings/Unleashed).

Obvious gameplay staples of the series (rings, enemies, homing attack, Chaos Emeralds/Super Sonic etc.) aside, they don't seem interested in looking back at a large chunk of the other things those games handleds-gameplay, content, usage of characters, storyline, etc. Understandable when they first started because they were trying to clean up the franchise's reputation after 06 stained it, but by the time Generations was released, they've been accused of "playing it safe" ever since.

And the few times they do revisit old stuff of the old Sonic Team, they usually don't adhere to doing it as it was done in the past (classic Sonic's gameplay and level design in Generations, the overall design of the 3D levels and spindash in Lost World, the sequels to the original Riders with their gimmicky motion controls, etc.); or, in the case of Sonic 4, would rather outsource it to another company rather than doing it in-house. Since being a 20th anniversary nostalgia throwback is the entire point Generations exists, that makes it the lone exception to the rule (and even then, like I previously mentioned with classic Sonic, not everything is faithful to how is was in the older games-and I'm not referring to the reimagined levels from the previous games when I say this).

Personally I actually would love to see another 3D Sonic game in the vein of the Adventure games in terms of gameplay (Sonic's gameplay of course, no genre roulette please) and storyline, but despite the "maybe someday" wishbones Iizuka likes to throw at the fanbase when asked about it, I really can't see the current Sonic Team going back to those games (even as a sort of 25th franchise anniversary title). And even if they did, I'm sure they'd probably just treat the game in a half-hearted manner like they and Dimps did with Sonic 4.

• Thumbs Up 1

The thing about an open-world Sonic...okay, you've got Sonic, you've got an open world. What do you do? Running around in the world would be fun for a while, but it doesn't really constitute a proper game. What are your missions in the game? And what are you getting out of it that you can't get out of a level-based game?

More space is fine, but it's Sonic. It's speed.

If you add more space, it gives freedom, but you still got to remember Sonic is about getting point A to point B. So, you still need there to be direction, which would probably be a type or road, hilly terrain, stuff like that.

That would be true for an open world. But depends if you mean a large hub for an open world connected to a bunch of stages, or Sonic would be going through a series of missions via the world, like GTA, though still done in a Sonicy fashion?

Well, the latter, I suppose could be done with a minimap of some type, basically points the way so you don't get lost. Or just some kind of HUD. But it would be rather tradition breaking.

Well if Sonic Boom  - Wii U (which is pretty much an Adventure type game) turns out to be half decent, then Sonic Team will have a great reference point if they want to return to the Adventure route again.

Sonic Boom U is not an Adventure styled game.

• Thumbs Up 4

I think it's kind of a fruitless endeavour to think "Man, I hope Sonic Team focus on this or that." The same goes for any other kind of medium "I hope their new album is a return to their roots," or "I hope this film is funnier than the director's last." You end up being upset because the thing doesn't fit the qualities you arbitrarily assigned to it, instead of enjoying it for what it is. I'm not saying it's not okay to criticize things you like, but if you end up disappointed because you wanted Sonic Adventure 3 (or whatever)... that doesn't feel like constructive criticism.

To call putting hope or showing passion for the things you liked in a game or a franchise as a "fruitless endeavor" is pretty dang lame, though. I'm not just going to play Lost World or another title and just accept it when I know the series has done better.

Besides, looking for "Adventure gameplay" really isn't as specific as you probably think I mean. I don't want most of the baggage that comes with it. If anything, Adventure gameplay is running, jumping and rolling/Spindashing with a few other extra moves; basically both the Genesis games in 3D, and Lost World if it didn't have a run button and had both slopier level design and reasonable player physics. It's a broad statement is what I'm saying, and it could easily be where Sonic Team's going in the next game.

What other direction could they go, anyways? They've jumped both the fastest gameplay style and the slowest gameplay style. What's left to do other than a median between the two? I'm doubting another on-rails game will ever happen, and as farfetched of an idea it is a trick-based Sonic isn't a far out possibility, but there isn't really much more options for them to do without it being completely foreign.

The appeal of Sonic blasting at high speed through an open world is pretty obvious - it's one of pure freedom.  I think it does break down when you try to develop the idea beyond that, though.  I think the theme of most open world games is that they are full of detail that you can slow down and enjoy if you want, and eventually you'll have to if you want to progress the game, but slowing down and getting immersed in detail is somewhat contrary to the base proposition of Sonic running around really fast not caring too much what he's doing.  Maybe if the game was purely exploration-focussed, with stuff scattered about all over that you had to track down?  A discussion like this probably deserves its own thread, actually.

To get back to the main point, such as it is, of trying to predict what Sonic Team is going to do next... pfft, dare one try to predict the wind?  Whatever they're doing will probably in some way develop from reactions to Generations, with some input from the reactions to Lost World in the next step down in planning, maybe.

• Thumbs Up 1

To call putting hope or showing passion for the things you liked in a game or a franchise as a "fruitless endeavor" is pretty dang lame, though. I'm not just going to play Lost World or another title and just accept it when I know the series has done better.

Ehhh, yeah, I probably could have phrased that better. 

It would be an interesting idea. An open world game - maybe a whole planet as a setting - where Sonic can utilize his Unleashed styled blistering speed using boost/parkour gameplay as a way of traversing the terrain. Searching for treasures/chaos emeralds or whatever. Stage structures would be very different. Maybe remove altogether the idea of the mission ranked/timed structure that we are so used it. I do feel that SEGA need to do something different especially if the next Sonic game makes it to PS4/PC and Xbox1. I would very much like to see a return of the stunning visuals/lighting which we got with Unleashed.

Sonic Boom U is not an Adventure styled game.

I never said it was an Adventure game like SA or SA2, Marcello.

I said Boom is 'pretty much' as in it has similarities to an adventure styled game in general (not specifically talking about a Sonic game). You would realise this having seen the gameplay footage of Sonic Boom U. The stage design, slower gameplay, the transition from hub worlds to other areas via the speed stages does give off vibes of an adventure game. Yes Boom is a unique game in it's own right, but it will have similarities to other games which naturally will draw comparisons.

At any rate I'm looking forward to seeing where Sonic Team next takes the series. 

For an open world sonic I would just imagine something like this  With more sonic looking stage really

• Thumbs Up 1

If you're gonna have Wisps, at least have Sonic and co. acknowledge them.

You could argue all day whether or not their existence requires justification, but they were introduced as characters, not just gameplay tools. It would be nice if Sonic acknowledged the fact that hey were back and ready to help him out.

• Thumbs Up 2

• 2 weeks later...

Console specific features doesn't have to mean something like the Kinect. It could mean something like the off die cache or API features or the like.

Not surprised at them dropping Lost World's style. Really directionless game, such random features. The parkour stuff also would end up overlapping with a real classic esque physics model. Funny thing, ShtH had a very similar system of wall running and edge climbing.

And oh god the wisps. Who thought those things were a good idea? No thanks no thanks! So slow and context demanding.

I'm just waiting till 2017/18 to see what gameplay ill be using on my Wii U/next Nintendo console

And oh god the wisps. Who thought those things were a good idea? No thanks no thanks! So slow and context demanding.

I'm afraid the Wisps will return, considering Iizuka said he wanted them to be a permanent thing in Sonic games now. =/ Which annoys me, and many others, to no end.

• Thumbs Up 1

• 4 weeks later...

I wonder what happened with that remark Izuka made about a redesign after Generations. Was he hinting at Boom, or was it empty posturing..or is the next ''main" multi console game gunna be a bit...different.

^ He was probably referring to Sonic Lost World, whatnot with it changing up many gameplay aspects of the series.

• 7 months later...
  • 2 months later...

Another new gameplay style? I'm starting to wonder if sega are looking to reboot Sonic at the 25th anniversary? 

Another new gameplay style? I'm starting to wonder if sega are looking to reboot Sonic at the 25th anniversary? 

• Thumbs Up 1

So this is a thing that was discovered on 4chan...

I honesty don't believe this, even though he mentions sonic runners before anyone knew about it.

So this is a thing that was discovered on 4chan...

I honesty don't believe this, even though he mentions sonic runners before anyone knew about it.

We've been discussing this at length for the past few days in