Awoo.

RUMOUR: Next Sonic Game Allegedly has a working prototype - "Another new gameplay style? But we just got one...no...two!"

Willsy

Nooooooo

If Lost World's gameplay had been more polished, slightly sped up, and given momentum physics, it would have been perfect. ;n;

Oh well, back to usual Sonic Team consistency.

• Thumbs Up 1

I honestly just want to know if the game is 60 fps, I've played generations on pc at 60fps and I've seen Lost World in a 60 fps stream. They could even make the game 900p on ps4 for all I care. I mean Sega would have to be idiots to make this game an xbox one exclusive, maybe some shoehorned in xbox exclusive mini games. Then there's the ps4 touch pad and the wii u gamepad (more mini games) Also hopefully generations on pc has made Sega more willing to do pc ports.

I think some of you people are reading  'Xbox One-exclusive implementations' all wrong here. From what I see, it just means that there might be something to the game that only the Xbone version can include. Say, Kinetic controls? Not that it's only going to be on the Xbone.

• Thumbs Up 1

It would be unfortunate if they threw out the mechanics yet again, but what can one do?

The idea of a new playstyle has me anxious primarily because those are hit or miss.

The next Sonic game is mainline and might be multiplatform... I'm hyped. Let's give Sonic Team one more chance before we throw them into the fiery inferno of bad developers with no hope, shall we?

• Thumbs Up 1

The next Sonic game is mainline and might be multiplatform... I'm hyped. Let's give Sonic Team one more chance before we throw them into the fiery inferno of bad developers with no hope, shall we?

A few years ago... I would have been fully on board with this.

These guys have had 23 years to get it right.

Even if one says it's because of staff being shifted around... to me, that just illustrates they're maybe not the best team for this franchise. There's such a rich history of what works and what doesn't at this point that I don't see how they can't know what to do.

Before one says it's short dev times or the pressure to churn a new game out every other year... that doesn't work. Sony developers do it all the time. And their games are usually top notch quality.

• Thumbs Up 1

A lot of you guys not wanting them to drop the formula are forgetting how organic creating a game can be.  It's very possible that in TRYING to refine Lost World's gameplay that they struck upon a core improvement that they realised would flourish more without the rest of the gameplay aspects of Lost World tying it down, and that ended up as a springboard to a whole new style.

Of course, I'm speaking in past tense here as if we know for sure a new style is coming, naturally we don't, but if we do, this is one of many reasons they might make that choice.

Another possible reason being Lost World was kinda crap hurrhurr

• Thumbs Up 5

I'm not ragging on a new mechanic.

I'm ragging on the fact that Sonic Team has had more than two decades to know what works and what does not, and make great games consistently.

Yes, they do make good games from time to time. But usually they are meh or even flat out subpar.

I can pick up Mario, Zelda, Ratchet, or Jak and for the most part expect a good game. With Sonic, I feel like I'm playing Russian Roulette.

Are there great people on Sonic Team? Of course, that goes without saying. But the team as a whole is just flat out not a good developer. Which I why I confess I dreaded hearing they were having a supervisory role with Sonic Boom. I'd quite frankly prefer they not have anything to do with it at all.

"Give a man a second chance, but never a third." -Sun Tzu

• Thumbs Up 9

I understand that as much as anyone, but who else are you going to give Sonic to? And I mean Sega Sonic here.

Sonic may be Russian Roulette game quality wise, but they're the ones with their heads screwed on right when it comes to how this franchise looks and feels, regardless of the way it plays. Why replace a whole company whenever most of them are irreplaceable?

A lot of you guys not wanting them to drop the formula are forgetting how organic creating a game can be.  It's very possible that in TRYING to refine Lost World's gameplay that they struck upon a core improvement that they realised would flourish more without the rest of the gameplay aspects of Lost World tying it down, and that ended up as a springboard to a whole new style.

Well that may be so. But you have to understand that when a series is constantly switching between gameplay styles, it does get kind of overwhelming to some people.

Well that may be so. But you have to understand that when a series is constantly switching between gameplay styles, it does get kind of overwhelming to some people.

I never said I didn't understand, I was just giving a reason for them to rebalance their level of whelmedness.

I don't understand the "they've had 20 years to get it right" complaints either.  Like... what are you suggesting, they stop trying to get it right?  I understand the frustration of just wanting good sonic games but... what else can they do but keep trying?  If they weren't trying to get it right and improve we would've had Sonic Unleashed 4 instead of Sonic Lost World and it would have been great ._.

Sonic may be Russian Roulette game quality wise, but they're the ones with their heads screwed on right when it comes to how this franchise looks and feels, regardless of the way it plays.

Honestly I'd trade the look and feel for something that plays the way I want...
  • Thumbs Up 8

I understand that as much as anyone, but who else are you going to give Sonic to? And I mean Sega Sonic here.

Sonic may be Russian Roulette game quality wise, but they're the ones with their heads screwed on right when it comes to how this franchise looks and feels, regardless of the way it plays. Why replace a whole company whenever most of them are irreplaceable?

Sony or Nintendo. Or Sony/Nintendo Lite, as BRB can count as.

I could care less about how this franchise looks or feels. I want it to be fun. I want it to be a critical success. If we have to jettison the art style of 23 years of subpar games... by all means, please do so. If we could somehow incorporate the old art style with a new developer, so much the better.

But if we have to choose between critical success and a distinctive art style? Art belongs in a museum, not a factory.

I'd rather Sonic games stay profitable than cling to an art style for the sake of that alone. Making the game actually fun to play so that it's well-reviewed and sells well would be part of that.

I've seen a lot of "the graphics are gorgeous" and "the controls are awesome" in reviews. I haven't seen much "this game's art style feels like the last game's."

By all means, keep Sonic Team people on board for art direction. But actual design? Please replace them with someone else.

I mean, I'll be honest, Sonic kind of boggles my mind. Bosses tend to fire employees who fall behind the pack. And boyyyyy has Sonic done that.

By all means, keep Sonic Team people on board for art direction. But actual design? Please replace them with someone else.

If you do that then you're not asking to get rid of Sonic Team, you're asking for new recruits.

New Gameplay style, its unpolished; sounds like the same old song and dance we've been doing for the past decade and a half honestly, so yea...not really caring.

If you do that then you're not asking to get rid of Sonic Team, you're asking for new recruits.

Sure, if you want to phrase it like that. It's just clear that everything in the actual game design process needs to be re-evaluated at this point. Like seriously, shouldn't they have a notebook detailing ideas that do and don't work? Who makes the choice to change mechanics? SEGA Corporate, or Sonic Team itself?

Insomniac has 195 employees. Naughty Dog has 250. I'd need to know how many Sonic Team has by comparison to make a fair compare/contrast. I'd like to assume Sonic Team has far fewer and is terribly overworked, but at the same time, I'm really not sure.

If it is a very tiny pool of employee, that instead shifts the blame to SEGA corporate. Why would they be so fond of canning employees when they clearly need more? I guess it could be a case of the Paradox of Thrift engulfing an entire organization.

I'm sorry, but I can not and will never get behind that. Gameplay and art style go hand in hand. You don't sacrifice one for the other. Never. They both equally construct an entire game.

Seems to me we're sacrificing gameplay as it is.

I mean, I'm not saying I have a team in mind that can do things "right". But, that Sonic Team, on a good day, can put together a game that looks and sounds okay just isn't enough. I need the gameplay, above all else, and on that they've failed to engage me repeatedly. I don't like the boost gameplay. Their attempt at "classic" gameplay failed hard. SLoW had interesting ideas but failed in execution. What reason do I have to expect the next attempt to win me over?

Honestly, though, no one seems to know what the fuck to do with Sonic anymore. Sonic Team doesn't have it. Dimps doesn't have it. BRB and whoever is doing Boom 3DS don't have it. Sometimes the fans come closer but I've yet to see anyone really hit on it (not that I expect a couple of hobbyists to be able to match big game companies).

• Thumbs Up 2

You know what this calls for?

Taxman to develop next big Sonic game.

• Thumbs Up 7

Really what they do all comes down to opinion in regards on how well they deliver (e.g. the boost games), but I don't think I've lost my mind when I think there's a sliver of a chance they can do something great if they hit the right notes. The likeliness of them doing something great though is incredibly slim and there's no denying it, but it's still there. There's got to be someone on the team who has an idea on what Sonic is. Maybe it'll go through.

Sure, there's no point of trusting them. But I'm going to continue being very cautiously optimistic of what they can do. If they don't deliver, whatever. Better luck next time. It's barely worth kicking and screaming about for me anymore as much as just being boggled on how they can manage to screw it up so hard.. if this next game even ends up being bad.

Really what they do all comes down to opinion in regards on how well they deliver (e.g. the boost games), but I don't think I've lost my mind when I think there's a sliver of a chance they can do something great if they hit the right notes. The likeliness of them doing something great though is incredibly slim and there's no denying it, but it's still there. There's got to be someone on the team who has an idea on what Sonic is. Maybe it'll go through.

Oh, that goes without saying. tongue.png

But at the same time, it's like saying I should play the lottery because there's a chance I'll win. Of course they have the capacity to deliver a great game. It's why I was really hoping for Sonic Team to only come out with a game every three years, so they can focus their full effort on that rather than this "let's get split into two; what could possibly go wrong?" approach they've got going now. Let Sumo and BRB fill in the gap.

I really like to hope that Sonic Team's issues are through no fault of their own. It goes without saying they're under a lot of pressure to perform, and since SEGA has a fetish for slicing its employee pools down, I wouldn't be surprised if they're sorely understaffed compared to peers. It's just obvious there are some serious issues with Sonic Team, and they need to be fixed. They're great artists and composers, they're just not very good game designers.

if this next game even ends up being bad.

No one's saying the game is going to be bad. Well, at least I'm not. I just want freaking consistency is all.

• Thumbs Up 2