Awoo.

Anime Conventions

wolf4537

So, I was wondering, does anyone here go to Anime Conventions at all? They have them all across the country and also all over the world, so I'm sure I'm not the only one that goes to them. :P

As for me, I go to nearly all the conventions around the New England area. I've been to Anime Boston for the last 9 straight years, Another Anime Con (AAC) up in New Hampshire for the last 4 years, and I'll be going to Portcon up in Maine for the 3rd straight year in 2 weeks.

That being said, I'm even more excited about this:

DSC03902_zpse44a1e6d.jpg

Since 2010, I've been running the game show "Who Wants to be a Millionaire?" at all of these conventions. And I'm happy to say that Funimation now sponsors my show and has sent me all of these prizes as pictured above.

Here's an example of my game show:

I'm looking for anyone to help out if they wanna supply me with anime/video game based questions. :P

But anyway, so do you guys go to any conventions at all?

• Thumbs Up 1

I do. I go to FACTS every year which is a sci-fi and anime convention and I went to Made In Asia this year.

I'm signed up with CosplayCloud so I like going to meetings with them too.

(I upgraded my cosplay recently so don't take this version to memory)

I've been to one here in Birmingham. It was alright, a lot of cool costumes. Not many big celebrities though and there was tons of overpriced merch. So expensive. 

I've been to one here in Birmingham. It was alright, a lot of cool costumes. Not many big celebrities though and there was tons of overpriced merch. So expensive. 

Does your con have any bootleg merchandise? That's been a huge issue for the conventions I've been to over the last several years up here.

I wouldn't say I saw anything very bootleg, thought I'm not exactly an expert lawl. There were definitely a few obvious fan made prints of popular TV shows like Supernatural and stuff, but everything I took interest in looked pretty official I suppose.

I worked at Sakura-Con 2014 at the information booth and it was my first con on top of that.  I had a great time during the con plus I picked up a legitimate model of Wing Zero as well as talking to some of the cosplayers before my shift.  I might end up doing a cosplay next year as I have most of the parts together save for two pieces.

They have them all across the country and also all over the world

Ha. Hahahahahahahaha. A convention? In Jordan or Greece? Nope. The closest thing I ever went to a convention was a cosplay party in Kalamata, the place I usually visit when I go to Greece, last summer. The cool thing was seeing awesome cosplayers as well as having some rockin' anime tunes playing. Aside from that they had a merch giveaway and I was one digit away from winning a K-ON nendoroid. sad.png But yeah the party was tiny. Like, seriously they rented out a restaurant and held it there. There were maybe around 50-ish people that attended. Again, tiny.

I'm still on a constant lookout for conventions. I know there are a few in Texas, but whenever I visit, it always seems to be after the convention is held. So yeah, my luck is pretty bad with these things. Hopefully this summer I'll be able to find a con. I'm currently on the lookout for one in Athens or somewhere nearby there since it'll be considerably easy for me to go. But man, them conventions in the States look cool. I hope one day I'll be able to attend one. Perhaps sometime in my college years, which aren't that far away. 

I've been to Otakon! It was fun, I plan to go again this year- and in costume! Mako Mankanshoku :>

That looks really fun! I'd love to play :o

I haven't been to an anime con in particular, but this summer I'm hopefully going to FanExpo in August, a more general con that has anime stuff (as well as sci-fi, video games, comics and horror). If I found someone to go with I'd be open to going to Anime North next year in June.  

Atlanta's becoming a big place for conventions because hotels everywhere, so there's about two to three big anime-specific conventions every year here. I sporadically go to Momocon and Anime Weekend Atlanta, although I'm not into anime enough anymore to consider really jumping into the fray of its convention sphere like I will a Furry convention. I mainly go as a way to hang out with friends and interact with cosplayers. I never go to panels and am lucky to buy anything as I spend my stuff on Sonic related memorabilia, a lot of which I already have or isn't appealing enough to shell out for the high costs.

Granted, I totally tried to meet Steve Blum the last time. ;~; I drew a picture of TOM for him to sign but the lines were so long I couldn't get in.

I've been going to Anime Central (ACen) every year since 2008. I've also been to Anime Detour, which is an anime convention held in Minnesota. I love ACen a lot, and Anime Detour was okay. I was able to meet several voice actors which is always exciting!

They also have an anime convention in the same building as Anime Central in the summer called "Anime Midwest." Never been to it, though.

A-Kon's coming up this weekend for me in Dallas, and I've gone almost all the time since I've heard of it.

I use to go to A-Fest, but last years was so disappointing I'm probably not going to bother with this year's con.

If all goes well and according to plan, I'll be selling some stickers and prints at SuperCon (Miami) this summer. 

I only went to the same convention about 2 or 3 years ago, but it wasn't the best experience because my friend was not enjoying her time there and kept talking about nerdy it was. It goes to show you that you need to be with the right people to really enjoy it. 

I'm looking forward to it more this year though, my friends and I dig this stuff and they have experience selling their art in other local conventions. It seems like a lotta' fun. 

I've been to multiple anime conventions, specifically New York Anime Festival(no longer exists), Otakon, and Anime Boston. Usually, I tend to spend my time at various panels. I feel that you get the most enjoyment from these conventions from going with people, rather than alone, which wasn't so great.

A convention I've been looking into for a while is Anime Weekend Atlanta. For the past 3 damn years, I made plans to attend this convention, but something comes up every time at the last minute and I have to cancel. As of this year, I'm not even sure if I'll bother to be honest. =(

I usually go to the following conventions in Atlanta:

-Momocon (I couldn't go this year though due to a family trip clashing with the schedule D:)

-Anime Weekend Atlanta

-DragonCon (more of a multi-genre convention, but one of the topics is anime)

AWA was my first con and I've been going ever since. I mainly go for the panels and to meet the guests if the lines aren't too long. I always have such a great time and look forward to going every year.

I wouldn't say I saw anything very bootleg, thought I'm not exactly an expert lawl. There were definitely a few obvious fan made prints of popular TV shows like Supernatural and stuff, but everything I took interest in looked pretty official I suppose.

It's more of "stuff is sold at the dealers room that are way overpriced when you can find them cheaper elsewhere" rather than bootlegs.

Only anime convention I've ever been to is Animanga POP! in Plymouth, which only just started in February this year. It was great! Lots of stalls selling merch from different anime and manga (and other pop culture) and we had entertaining shows and stuff. And I bought some cool merch there like an Isabelle Nendoroid and also an SNES cartidge of Chrono Trigger!

It was a big success, so now they're planning on doing another one soon and I'll be sure to go to that one as well! =D

Last year I started going to OMGcon with my sister and another close family member and I'm going back with them next weekend. I'm not that great in crowds and I don't have any interest in the panels, though, so I mostly just hit the dealer's room for merch and collect Streetpasses the whole weekend. (I got SOOOOOOO many last year that I managed to complete or come close to completing a few puzzles and snag a Bowser hat for my Mii!) XD

I usually go to the following conventions in Atlanta:

-Momocon (I couldn't go this year though due to a family trip clashing with the schedule D:)

-Anime Weekend Atlanta

-DragonCon (more of a multi-genre convention, but one of the topics is anime)

AWA was my first con and I've been going ever since. I mainly go for the panels and to meet the guests if the lines aren't too long. I always have such a great time and look forward to going every year.

It's more of "stuff is sold at the dealers room that are way overpriced when you can find them cheaper elsewhere" rather than bootlegs.

In regards to bootlegs, the convention I go to up in Maine called "Animaine" shows everyone what they TRULY think of bootlegs. Case in point:

The thing that sucks is that if someone sees something that they like in regards to their favorite show, they will buy it. I'll admit, I have a lot of bootleg stuff, and what sucks is that the merchandise that I have that is bootleg is rare in itself, because they did not make much merchandise for Wolf's Rain back when it came out in 2003-2004. 

I go to Supnova Pop Culture Expo every year, as well as SMASH!. I'm going to Supanova next weekend, and it's a nice opportunity to get out of the house and wear a costume. :) I also go for the guests. Last year I was able to get Cristina Vee's (voice of Noel Vermillion) autograph and this year I'll be getting Yuri Lowenthal's (voice of Amane Nishiki). Merchandise wise, there are a lot of bootlegs but also a decent range of official stuff. I'd say the split is about 50/50? I mainly only buy Sonic stuff with occasional Pokemon, but I always steer clear of fakes. Makes me wish there was more quality control with the vendors.

I've been to a couple in London. I have never been in a more smelly sweaty place in my life. I guess they're not for me but it was cool seeing groups of people play Smash Bros I guess.

I've been to a couple in London. I have never been in a more smelly sweaty place in my life. I guess they're not for me but it was cool seeing groups of people play Smash Bros I guess.

At anime boston, everyone usually follows the 5-2-1 rule. 5 hours of sleep, 2 meals per day, and 1 shower. :P

But the worst place to experience the stench is the VIDEO GAME ROOM.

I go to Tekkoshocon in Pittsburgh every year, as I live there. Went to New York Anime Festival once to meet the adorable and warm Yui Makino. Ah... Yucchi (that's her nickname), as I said to you in your native language, "you have the voice of an angel." (She replied with an English thank you that moment). I might be at New York Comic Con (kinda counts) this year if they get guests I want to see, but then again if Jay Snyder goes to Sonic Boom, I will go there instead (seeing as I sent him a little present in the mail...).