Awoo.

Brazil FIFA World Cup 2014

Gabz Girl

719px-WC-2014-Brasil.svg.png

It's that time of the year again, when World Cup fever takes over the world! There's going to be potential shockers, controversies and intrigue, but also one winner who will pick up that amazing looking trophy in the final standoff on 13 July and become the World Champion until the next World Cup in 2018, Russia.

Here's a list of the different Groups and who's playing who for the next couple of days!

Group A

Brazil

Croatia

Mexico

Cameroon

Group B

Spain <-- Former World Champion in 2010

Netherlands <--- My team! <3

Chile

Australia

Group C

Columbia

Greece

Cote d'Ivoire

Japan

Group D

Uruguay

England

Costa Rica

Italy

Group E

Switzerland

Ecuador

France

Honduras

Group F

Argentina

Bosnia & Herzegovina

Iran

Nigeria

Group G

Germany

Portugal

Ghana

USA

Group H

Belgium

Algeria

Russia

South Korea

The first match is Brazil vs Croatia on Thursday 12 June with kick off at 9PM. Who is your favourite team? Who do you think is going to win this year?

Personally, I'm hoping that the Netherlands can make it as far as the semi finals, maybe even the final like in 2010. They seem to be in good shape unlike their disastrous performance in Eurocup 2012, but the problem is that Brazil and even Argentina are proving to be really good this year so it could go either way. You can bet that Brazil will make it far and them winning this year is predictable but certainly not impossible.

As for England? Erm...I don't know. >_>

• Thumbs Up 1

Having watched a lot of Premier League football, i will be interested to see how this World Cup plays out. I think it could be a number of teams that could win it - Brazil, Spain, Germany and Holland are my picks to win it. England, I think will get out of their group but falter at last 16 or quarter final stage

I've been counting down the days pretty much since the Premier League season ended, so yeah, looking forward to Thursday!

I'm thinking the Top 4 to look out for are Brazil, Argentina, Spain and Germany, but there's bound to be the odd upset. Belgium in particular are real dark horse I feel, with a good squad, though they've got a tricky draw.

England I feel have a chance of getting out of their group and probably only need five points to do so. Draws against Italy and Uruguay, with a win against Costa Rica may be enough, assuming Italy Vs Uruguay also doesn't end in a draw. Group C, the countepart Group for Round 2, is probably the weakest of the 8, so there's a route to the Quarters going begging. Of course, this is the England team I'm talking about, so nothing can be taken for granted.

I'm planning on watching as much of the footy as I can. I've actually booked the first full week of the tournament off from work (coincidence, honest), so I'll be staying up for the late kick-offs all that week. Plus, thanks to live streaming, I don't even need to argue over who gets the TV anymore! RESULT!

I normally back Italy. They're one of the most successful World Cup teams, and always seem to do well in the big tournaments even when they have a poor team.

Correct if I'm wrong but no European team has ever won a World Cup hosted in a South American country? I think you've gotta fancy Brazil to go close. I also think reigning champions Spain will do well.

I hope Holland 'the perrenial underachievers' can win it and I want to see USA have a good run.

As for England, whilst I hope we do well I can't see us making it past the group stages.

• Thumbs Up 1

While I'm not really into football due to various reasons (one of them being corruption) and it is going to be quite a chore (watching 3 days of darts is hard enough despite really enjoy the sport but a month of football?) so I'll probably watch at least one match either Spain vs. Holland or Germany vs. Portugal, that's if the latter is aired on TV unless the teams below face each other.

Last World Cup though, I had 4 teams that I "supported" that were Brazil, Argentina, Spain and Portugal since I consider them very good football teams with the best players and one of my choices won that was Spain. There was a really good Brazil match last World Cup that was really good but can't quite remember the team or the score (might be Ivory Coast).

This time it is going to be the same however might also add Germany to the mix since they have improved from the last World Cup and if there are any Bayern Munich or any top Champions League players in there, then they get very far. I don't know who is going to win but it is most likely going to be these 5.

As for England though, I'll actually predict that they might get suited and booted at the first round, second round tops depending on which teams qualify (it looks like some groups are a bit more weaker than others). First match I think that Italy will beat them since they have a certain move that Italians players like to do and usually they do quite well. Uruguay might end up a draw or a lose. England will beat Costa Rica since they seem the weakest out of three. Out of the group Italy is going to be top though and depends on the form of Uruguay.

I'm a bit more optimistic on England's chances of getting out of the group stages myself. Realistically it's a complete toss up between Italy, Uruguay, and England. Each team has a 2/3 chance of making it through. On top of that Uruguay aren't really spectacular outside of Cavani and Suarez, with a pretty average midfield. They only scraped their way into the World Cup via a play-off.

I'll probably watch at least one match either Spain vs. Holland or Germany vs. Portugal, that's if the latter is aired on TV unless the teams below face each other.

As per Ofcom's rules, all World Cup matches legally have to be on free-to-air channels so you won't have to worry about that. BBC and ITV share the coverage. :D

The current England squad is probably the weakest to have ever gone to a finals. Not one proven performer at international level let alone a world class talent, instead a squad of ageing members of the 'golden generation' that flopped in their prime and a bunch of unproven young players that the media are trying desperately to over-hype (Barkley, Shaw, Wilshere etc). Having said that they will probably sneak out of the group but that will be as far as they go.

I've been a soccer football fan on and off for a few years, but the World Cup is always exciting to watch. I hope to be able to catch most of the US games, though I can't really see them making it far. I doubt they'll even get out of their group with Germany and Portugal (and Ghana, who always gives the US a difficult time).

I think that Argentina, Spain, Germany and Brazil are most likely to win it. I don't really know enough about the other teams to look at potential upsets, but these teams seem to consistently be at the top.

The teams I'll be rooting for are Cote d'Ivoire (Drogba!), the Netherlands, England and the US. No New Zealand this year, but at least they will always have the pride being the only undefeated team in the last World Cup.

Also to all of you England fans smile.png

i'm sorry england is so much better than the us but I had to. love you guys

• Thumbs Up 1

I still feel really bad for Rob Green XP

Anyway, I'm not the biggest football fanatic out there but I think the strongest contenders are Brazil (as usual), Germany and Spain from the looks of things. I really liked the sportsmanship of the Netherlands last time round as well and hope they do really well.

As for England, I'm cautiously optimistic to the point we'll break free from our group but I also feel apathetic towards that idea and I'm not really fussed at how well we do this time.

Well I'm rooting for the US obviously even though we never get far. I really hope England can break the curse of the penalty kicks because whenever they end up in that situation, they always tend to lose. I'd also like to The Netherlands and Germany do well too. It wouldn't surprise me if Brazi goes all the way to win since they're a heavy favorite.

• Thumbs Up 1

I don't watch football usually, but the world cup always has a habit of drawing my interest. I guess I just get caught up in the whole 'festivities' of it, everyone just seems to take it with such enthusiasm, it's great.

I was on holiday in Spain last world cup when they won, and that was insane, street parties everywhere.

Anyway, this time around I did a randomiser draw, for one team to back. I got Japan, so I'll be seeing how far they go, maybe put a little money on them if I feel like it. I'd say I 'SHOULD' support England, but boooo, the Scotsman in me refuses flat out.

Best of luck anyway. (Not like Scotland will be making an appearance any time soon...)

World Cup time -- the only time I ever care about football.

It goes without saying I want England to win, or at least do well. What's important though is that Roy Hodgson has recognised we won't win and decided to take a younger team to give them some international experience for 2018. It's a solid plan. I don't fancy our chances, but I'll happily watch.

One thing I'd like to see this tournament is those 'good on paper' teams, like The Netherlands and Belgium, actually do well. 

My pick for winner? Germany, because... well, they sort of deserve it by this point, right? They've been getting closer and taking players from other countries for long enough it has to be their time.

I really liked the sportsmanship of the Netherlands last time round as well and hope they do really well.

"Sportsmanship"

Also:

Correct if I'm wrong but no European team has ever won a World Cup hosted in a South American country?

I wouldn't read too much into that. There's only been four held in South America, and one of those was the very first in 1930 - when there were only four European teams out of 13 total anyway.

• Thumbs Up 1

Alright, it's the World Cup! Time to dig out my England shirt and put up all the other England memorabilia to celebrate the occasion!

...and then put them away again one week later when we get knocked out :P

On a serious note though, I'll be tuning in for at least some of the tournament - realistically I think England will either just scrape through the group stages and then crash out in the last 16, or they'll just miss out on making it through to the second round. Depends how strongly they start really. I'd like to see Germany win, but I wouldn't be surprised if someone like Brazil took the trophy instead.

Anyway, this time around I did a randomiser draw, for one team to back. I got Japan, so I'll be seeing how far they go, maybe put a little money on them if I feel like it. I'd say I 'SHOULD' support England, but boooo, the Scotsman in me refuses flat out.

Team Japan, don't you mean Team Pichachu :P and I'm not really kidding, he is their mascot

• Thumbs Up 1

Aw yeah! I hope Japan does well this year. After all, they have Pokemon on their side!

Pokemon-World-Cup.jpg

Btw, I hope Howard Webb doesn't turn up in this year's final again. >_> Terrible referee with terrible referee skills. 

One thing I remember about last time was how shitty France were!

I'm not French or a France fan, but it was so funny how they basically cheated in their play-off game to get to the tournament, only to be utterly crap in the actual finals! And the last time, they got to the final! What the hell happened?!

They can't be any worse this time.

• Thumbs Up 1

One thing I remember about last time was how shitty France were!

I'm not French or a France fan, but it was so funny how they basically cheated in their play-off game to get to the tournament, only to be utterly crap in the actual finals! And the last time, they got to the final! What the hell happened?!

They can't be any worse this time.

Ah yes, I remember it well... XD

Thierry Henry used Hand of God on Ireland to get France through to the 2010 World Cup, and because of their shitty coach and overall shitty display they never even left the Group stages. It was THAT bad. Hell some players even left because of how bad it was!

Of course France has done pretty well since then, but they're definitely not as good as they were back in the 1990's/2000's. They'll probably make it out of the Group just fine, but I don't think they will make it so far after that.

Ah yes, I remember it well... XD

Thierry Henry used Hand of God on Ireland to get France through to the 2010 World Cup, and because of their shitty coach and overall shitty display they never even left the Group stages. It was THAT bad. Hell some players even left because of how bad it was!

Even worse, they only scored ONE goal!

And even more worse, they lost to South Africa! No disrespect to them, but they aren't as well-known for footballing quality as France are.

Oh they actually care about this here? Great!

On the downside. Quite the quantity of players got injured before the start of the WC and won't be participating:

Colombia: Radamel Falcao & Edwin Valencia

France: Frank Ribery

Netherlands: Raphael Van der Vaart & Kevin Strootman

USA: Landon Donovan (He was actually left out and the U20 Julian Green was called instead)

England: Theo Walcott

Mexico: Luis Montes (Probably the worst injury of all. He actually broke his leg)

Germany: Marco Reus & Lars Bender

Spain: Victor Valdes (Although he's not the main goalkeeper, he's still a major loss)

fussball-facepalm-2014.jpg

I hope this will not jinxs the event.

Silliness aside.

This year marks the debut in the World Cup of Mario Balotelli. You know, this guy:

0_super_mario_balotelli.jpeg

While I'm not that invested in Football, I still hope for him to make a big impression.

• Thumbs Up 1

Aw... I wanted it to be a surprise for you guys... but check this out.

http://gizmodo.com/a-mind-controlled-exoskeleton-will-kick-off-2014s-socc-1493046675

It won't be a superstar football player who takes the first kick of 2014's Football World Cup in Brazil. Nope, instead, it will be a teenager, paralysed from the waist down, who will use the world's most advanced mind-controlled exoskeleton to get things underway.

Well, how about that for a first half? I seriously did not see Croatia taking the lead, especially in those circumstances. Marcelo looked so torn up, though there wasn't really anything he could have done about that.

We've also seen the worst of Neymar, with that cynical swinging arm, followed by some of the best with that goal, though I felt like the keeper could have done slightly better. Since then, Brazil's tempo has been impressive, I do feel like Croatia will crack soon.

Bring on the second half, and the rest of the tournament!

3-1 for Brazil :D

Brazil made all 4 goals, too bad one of them was an own goal, ha ha! [emoji13]