Awoo.

Brazil FIFA World Cup 2014

Gabz Girl

It's all square at the moment. How's a tie for the USA?

Edit: Apparently they hate it so much that they score right after I bring the possibility up in the thread.

Well, it's the final minutes and US had a little scare. Better try their best to keep that 2-1 for the next matches because they'll be more than useful

I kinda feel bad for Ghana, because first ten minutes aside, the USA weren't really offering much. Ghana had so many chances that they didn't take, and that's what matters at the end of the day. The goal they did score was great, but then credit goes to the Americans for responding the way they did.

Portugal next, and given the way they played today its no longer out of the question that USA could progress to the next round.

EDIT - bloody hell, Jurgen's accent has gone strange.

• Thumbs Up 1

USA USA USA USA!

That's how you win a game England! Take notes! Now if we beat Portugal, we are virtually through to the knockouts! (Unless Ghana beats Germany in their next game) I have faith in my team!

• Thumbs Up 1

Germany vs Portugal was very sad to watch as Portugal got its ass kicked by Germany and you could tell Ronaldo looked really frustrated throughout, especially when he wasn't given a penalty by the ref (German bias?). USA looked good too scoring that sudden second goal against Ghana and it makes me wonder which team is going to get out of the Group besides Germany. RIght now, it could be anyone!

Oh and the less said about Nigeria vs Iran the better.

I was thinking USA was toast after Ghana's one goal. It was a beautiful goal, dude threw it backwards and I don't think Howard knew where the ball was for a second there. Also Ghana was aggressive and took like six wild shots on goal, I was so sure we were gonna eat one of those, they just kept pressing. We were lucky. Also it seemed to me like Ghana's man screwed up and gave us the corner in order to set up goal? Dude was like tripping over the ball for no reason when it when out. Ghana's coach looked SO serious in the seconds before the kick and that look didn't leave his face until time ran out. Good job USA, but I think we were lucky. I think we make it out of our group alive though.

Who would have told this would happen? The first half ended et l'Algérie gagne 1-0 à la Belgique ohmy.png

I only saw the first half hour of the Belgium game, they did not look impressive at all. I assume they improved, but worrying for them.

Brazil were poor today, though they did fashion a couple of decent chances. Mexico I thought were brilliant, so well organised and the only fault I ould find in their performance was a reliance on long-range shots. If they'd got themselves a bit closer, which they had the opportunity to do so once or twice, they may have tested Julio Cesar a bit more.

Mexico could have won that.

I'm impressed with Mexico's performance today, was rooting for Brazil, I'm still surprised they tied. Man of the match is definitely Mexico's goalkeeper, since otherwise I think Brazil would've won, it's thanks to him they ended up in a tie. Good job for them. Still hoping Croatia will go through as 2nd place tho :P.  So many surprises in this World Cup, that's a good thing IMO.

• Thumbs Up 3

Quite disappointed with Brazil vs Mexico. Not a single goal scored, though the Mexican goalkeeper was brilliant at keeping the balls away since Brazil had many good chances to score. I hope Mexico does better in their next game against Croatia, otherwise it's Croatia who goes through over Mexico.

Well I never... Spain out of the World Cup after just two games! Chile completely deserved to win tonight, they put in a ton of effort and stayed strong right until the very end. Spain, meanwhile, were sloppy and clearly still reeling from their thrashing at the hands of the Netherlands. Looks like this tournament is anyone's game now!

Let's just hope England don't crash out quite so rapidly following their game against Uruguay tomorrow night, eh? :P

• Thumbs Up 1

I can't believe it...the former World champions AND two time Eurocup champions are out?! What a sad, sad day this is for Spain...but even I could tell they would probably have some trouble beating Chile. Not this much though! They looked tired and sluggish most of the game and it was so sad to watch I couldn't beat watching any longer! Very sad, and a damn shame Spain is not getting through the Group. <=(

Meanwhile, Holland vs Australia was surprisingly exciting to watch and the Aussies did a decent job fighting against the Dutch. I couldn't believe it when they scored their first goal a minute after Robben's! With van Persie not playing in the next match against Chile I hope they do their best to either beat them or get a tie, knowing how Chile is a pretty good team. Either way, we know now that these two teams are definitely going through to the next round.

• Thumbs Up 1

What a game between Australia and The Netherlands! Australia really came out strong even though The Netherlands won it in the end. Their next game against Chile is going to be a tough one since they're a good team.

Poor Spain though. What happened. guys? You're the defending champions and you're already eliminated? I have to agree though, they did look sluggish against Chile and it's a shame to see them out already.

• Thumbs Up 1

Welp, that Rooney header pretty much sums up England's (and especially his) World Cup story so far:

AccomplishedDeterminedLamb.gif

So near and yet so agonisingly far, every single goddam time

45 minutes left to turn their fortunes around and spare their World Cup dreams for another day... can't say I'm feeling too hopeful, but you never know, eh!

As for England, whilst I hope we do well I can't see us making it past the group stages.

Hate to say I told you so........................so I won't.

England don't have the facilities in place to develop and bring through young talented players, and boy do we need some. Wish I could say I'm disappointed but I knew this would happen sad.png

We tried so hard, but in the end we just aren't good enough. Now we need a minor miracle to qualify. We need Italy to win both of their last two games, and England will need to hammer Costa Rica.

Well, we need Italy to do us a massive favour.

Twice.

Our defense is too prone to mistakes, and there's not enough invention up front.

Assuming Italy do win both their matches, at least England will only need to bear Costa Rica by two goals (if I'm working goal difference out corrrectly). If we can beat Costa Rica at all, that is.

So, looks like England's stay in this year's World Cup can be summarised as follows:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UkJehlr1tEw

What a stupid, stupid goal to give away right at the end. I mean, Uruguay totally deserved to win anyway, we were sloppy and nowhere near on par with our performance against Italy... but to let it all slip through your fingers so easily? Simply not good enough.

And trust Rooney to score his first World Cup goal, a massive moment for him and the team, only to have it completely cancelled out and overshadowed by such a huge blunder not 10 minutes later. Says it all, really.

I'm reasonably confident Italy can hold up their end of the bargain by beating Uruguay and Costa Rica... but England beating Costa Rica by at least two or three goals? We'll be lucky to get one past them at this rate.

But if nothing else, at least England are consistent. Just a shame it's consistently underwhelming, and boy do they like their 2-1 losses at the moment!

Wow... that's disappointing,  I'm not even from England but I always root for them and that tie had me hopeful, I didn't even expect much but at least 2nd place : P Oh well this is anyone's game now. Let's see how Japan vs Greece turns out.

EDIT: Oh silly me I was already counting England as a goner, although that's pretty much the case, but there's still hope, I know Italy can win against Costa Rica and Uruguay, the problem like Doctor MK states is ...actually winning by a 3 goal margin is... let's just say I don't see that happening.

Urgh...that was hard to watch. So glad I'm half Dutch so I have at least one other team to support.

But yeah, not a great match. I was ecstatic when Rooney scored, and then not too long after our terrible defense gives Suaréz a chance to score a second goal. -__- England still has a chance to qualify, but they have to be really lucky!

• Thumbs Up 1

Italy v Costa Rica play tomorrow at 5pm UK time, so England's World Cup dreams could be over as soon as (roughly) 6:45pm. Italy need to win if we're to stand any chance of going forward - not even a draw will save us from the almost inevitable plane journey home.

What a disappointment by England. That header by Rooney just barely missing the goal didn't help either. It's going to take a miracle for them to advance to the knockout stage at this point.