Awoo.

Brazil FIFA World Cup 2014

Gabz Girl

I don't know how Holland came back from that but it was GLORIOUS! Here I was thinking they would lose against Mexico, but then I noticed how Mexico was holding back. Lo and behold Sneijder scores for a draw and then thanks to an OTT dive from Robben's penalty (it was a penalty, but that dive was ridiculous) we got another goal. What a comeback!

Hey, gotta give it to Mexico though. They played extremely well and their goalkeeper was unbelievable with his saves.

This World Cup has been really entertaining, delighted for Costa Rica tonight getting through on penalties. Wonder what odds you would have had for them to get this far!? The Dutch got lucky, didn't play well at all but ground out the result, the penalty is debatable, there is contact but Robben made a meal of it. As for Brazil, they will need to be a lot better to beat the Colombian's. Good luck to the US against Belgium, will be a tough game but will be supporting them all the way

Way to go Costa Rica your on your way to makong history. Stratch that you've already made history. First time the team has made it to round of 16 since 1990. And now you've made it to Quarter finals. Top 8 status. Even if you loss next game you have to be proud of yourselves

Once Mexico scored, they got scared and invited the Dutch to attack. Very few teams will survive 30 minutes of constant pressure, and that was their undoing. Also, Robben should have had a penalty just before half-time, but his theatrics definitely make referees think twice before awarding anything.

I stayed up for those penalties last night, might regret it at work later but Extra Time was worth it. Congrats Costa Rica. The Duth will be favourites, but Costa Rica will approach them just like the Italians. Who's to say it won't work again?

Bitter about Mexico losing. But good for Costa Rica, I think this is their first time in the world cup, so they're quite the underdogs here and I'm totally rooting for them. Now just hoping the US doesn't get booted. The US - Germany game sucked, but I'm guessing they were relaxing because they'd both qualify anyways.

8cr.gif

So yeah, Onazi ended leaving the field injured and the referee didn't even booked Matuidi. This could be a nice chance to apply another santion

Why all matches have to be like this? My dad was so euphoric after the goal that when he hugged me I was afraid he was going to faint any time.

In the end: We made it through and now we have to await the next challenge

Well the US lost. I'm sad we lost but at the same time I'm happy we made it this far. No one is gonna take us lightly ever again.

Felt sorry for the USA team. D: They played so well and then Belgium scored those two goals...but then USA made a surprise goal and it was a struggle to get a second one. So close yet so far. They're a great team though, and I hope they do well in any future matches!

Belgium vs Argentina is going to be exciting!

Although I'm disappointed that our team lost, I'm very happy with the fact that we at least advanced out of our group. That in and of itself is an accomplishment. I'm still very proud of our team, and I know we played well. I can only imagine just how far we'll go four years from now. There was so much enthusiasm from people here over the World Cup that I could scarcely believe it! I only hope that same enthusiasm doesn't wane in the interim. I will admit that I didn't know much about soccer, but it was still fun to get swept up in the excitement! I'm glad we did as well as we did, and I hope that we will do even better next time! :) 

• Thumbs Up 1

So close! So very close! Had the ball went in right before that 90 minute mark, we could have won, but sadly it wasn't to be. Good game, Belguim. I have it give Team USA credt for playing so well this game.

That was probably the best Belgium have been all tournament, and unfortunately for the U.S it had to be against them. That Extra Time period was absolutely incredible (to be fair, they've all been great). That free kick routine near the end in particular, which led to the Dempsey chance was inspired and unlucky.

Tim Howard heroics aside, I thought the substitute right-back played a blinder too.

So, we have our quarter-finals all set up for Friday and Saturday. There are some real tasty looking encounters there, as one should expect at this stage. France Vs Germany and Brazil Vs Colombia manage to stand out though.

This World Cup so far has been one for the ages.

One of the best games at the World Cup, I was gutted for the USA last night, gave everything in the tank and played for the shirt, I love teams like that. Tim Howard and the Defence should be praised for their efforts. If that free kick which Dempsey almost scored from had gone in, it would have been one of the most memorable goals at a World Cup. I wonder how many of the English pundits must have been thinking Why Can't England Play Like That?

Do you emember that shot on Brazil x Chile that hit Brazil's goalpost at the final momments of the overtime? Chilean player Mauricio Pinilla (the one that made it) has tattooed on his back the shot:

atacante-chile-tatuagem-copa.jpg

It reads "One centimeter from glory".

Blah, Germany is through once again and they didn't even play well, nor did France obviously since they lost 1-0. But yeah, not a great match. 8(

The next one however should be very exciting indeed. Rooting for Columbia to win and no penalties please!

Edit: So Brazil beat Columbia 2-1, and let me tell you it was a horrible, dirty game of football! Hardly any yellow or red cards given to Brazil who were fouling left and right, poor Columbia were being attacked by Brazil on all sides and seeing James Rodriguez crying at the end just about broke my heart.

I can't believe I'm saying this but I want Germany to beat Brazil, because this team does NOT deserve to be in the final let alone win the World Cup when they play this nasty!

Edited by Gabz Girl

Today was France's first real test, and they weren't up to the challenge, Germany deserved winners I thought. Though yeah, I agree not a classic.

I missed the Brazil Vs Colombia game unfortunately, but I've just seen some highlights. Shame for Colombia, but WHAT A FREE KICK BY DAVID LUIZ.

Say what you will about this World Cup, but it's certainly had some tension filled edge-of-your-seat finishes. First we had the USA almost clawing back an extra time goal to level with Belgium a few days ago, and tonight we got Columbia raging against the dying of the light to equalise with Brazil before the final whistle blew. Alas, both efforts were made in vain, but with the amount of twists and turns this tournament has seen so far, anything could happen.

Not really surprised that Germany and Brazil are the first two teams through to the semi-finals - I always imagined they'd be the winners today - but I was really really hoping Columbia might thump the hosts and cause an upset. Now I'm backing Germany all the way to the final... viva Deutschland!

I wonder if Costa Rica can cause even more of a shock tomorrow though by beating Holland. I'd love to see the Netherlands make the next round, but I can't deny it'd be fantastic to see the underdog make it all the way to the end of the competition, even if they don't manage to lift the trophy.

Say what you will about this World Cup, but it's certainly had some tension filled edge-of-your-seat finishes. First we had the USA almost clawing back an extra time goal to level with Belgium a few days ago, and tonight we got Columbia raging against the dying of the light to equalise with Brazil before the final whistle blew. Alas, both efforts were made in vain, but with the amount of twists and turns this tournament has seen so far, anything could happen.

Not really surprised that Germany and Brazil are the first two teams through to the semi-finals - I always imagined they'd be the winners today - but I was really really hoping Columbia might thump the hosts and cause an upset. Now I'm backing Germany all the way to the final... viva Deutschland!

I wonder if Costa Rica can cause even more of a shock tomorrow though by beating Holland. I'd love to see the Netherlands make the next round, but I can't deny it'd be fantastic to see the underdog make it all the way to the end of the competition, even if they don't manage to lift the trophy.

I'm proud of how far Costa Rica has come but my dream is to see them in the semi finals and then a least make it to win the third place match

Edit: So Brazil beat Columbia 2-1, and let me tell you it was a horrible, dirty game of football! Hardly any yellow or red cards given to Brazil who were fouling left and right, poor Columbia were being attacked by Brazil on all sides and seeing James Rodriguez crying at the end just about broke my heart.

Do you still think that?

The Columbian player BROKE Neymar's vertebrae. I assume you haven't seen the match at all, because if there's a team that comitted a lot of fouls, it was Columbia. Sorry, but that is undebiable.

IMO, it was one of the best Brazil matches in this Cup. Unlike the one against Chile, they ran, disarmed and advanced a lot more. And what a kick David Luis. Man, he's freaking awesome, I tell you.

Do you still think that?

The Columbian player BROKE Neymar's spine. You assume you haven't seen the match at all, because if there's a team that comitted a lot of fouls, it was Columbia. Sorry, but that is undebiable.

Damn, the injury was that serious? O_O I don't really trust the Daily Mail but if Neymar's back injury really is bad then that's sad to hear. It's true that Columbia pulled many a foul on Brazil, but Brazil was a bit worse IMO.

It was pretty serious, in fact, this kind of injury is very dangerous. He could even end paraplegic... The referee didn't even gave the player a yellow card, terrible.

It was pretty serious, in fact, this kind of injury is very dangerous. He could even end paraplegic... The referee didn't even gave the player a yellow card, terrible.

The referee was very bad throughout the match. Hardly any yellow/red cards were given for both teams and it was free kick after free kick from first half to almost the entirety of second half. It was awful to watch.

As for Neymar, now that it's been confirmed to be a broken vertebrae, I sure hope he'll be alright. It's devastating that it happened to him before their important game against Germany, and that the Colombian player who did it was never given a yellow card or anything...