Awoo.

The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild (Wii-U, Switch) 2017

Nintendoga

Found this from the E3 interview with Aonuma:

Schreier: I wanted to talk a little about the open world in the next Zelda game that you announced. I played Link Between Worlds, and I liked it very much, and it was very interesting in the way it changed things up and was non-linear in that you could rent items and choose which dungeons you wanted to go to in whichever order you wanted to go to them. But for Link Between Worlds, in each of the dungeons, you could really only use that one specific item that you needed to bring into the dungeons, and there weren't the multi-item, really complicated, difficult puzzles that other Zelda games often have. 

I'm wondering—if the new Zelda is also non-linear, will you run into the same problem? How do you make a Zelda game that is non-linear and also has those kind of difficult dungeons that require you to use multiple items and are very complex and complicated and interesting?

Aonuma: I hadn't actually thought that because there was only one item per dungeon that puzzle-solving was made simpler because of that, and that in contrast multiple-item puzzle-solving was more complicated, so I guess I'll keep that in mind.

The sheer stupidity being exhumed on GAF over this comment simply astounds me. People who are worried about the game's design now, saying that it's ruined forever because it may have a similar design to ALBW. It's the Zelda cycle at work I tell you.

There are people saying that he knows what he's doing and that he is just playing an act for the interview and that just makes me drop my jaw with how stupid it is. Is it impossible for him to simply have not taken it into consideration? Aonuma is the sort of man who listens to people's opinions when they are given to him, but has little time to take them in because he works long hours away from the fans. I've read interviews where he's thought people wanted one thing, and then found out they wanted something else with Zelda, and it's like a merry go round for him. 

Don't lose faith in the man; he does listen. 

• Thumbs Up 1

That they can make a dungeon solvable largely with a single tool isn't a problem to any of its puzzles, it's a credit to the actual versatility of the tool in question. Nobody wants a Twilight Princess situation in which a noticable majority of the items you get literally have only a single use or become redundant in the face of items you receive somewhat later, and nobody likes having to dive into an inventory screen every ten fucking seconds because a puzzle requires more items than you can actually equip at any given time.

Nintendo largely passed on the dark and edgy phase everything went through circa-2003. So give Link a gun. He'll solve any problem, then; and Nintendo will get those hardcorp sales.

• Thumbs Up 8

The sheer stupidity being exhumed on GAF over this comment simply astounds me. People who are worried about the game's design now, saying that it's ruined forever because it may have a similar design to ALBW. It's the Zelda cycle at work I tell you.

Remember when they did the exact same thing with Wind Waker? It's Zelda tradition.

Zelda U will offer "more than just a single player experience"

http://uk.ign.com/articles/2014/06/23/will-the-legend-of-zelda-on-wii-u-introduce-multiplayer

The game MIGHT have some multiplayer elements! Online co-op is really the only thing which comes to mind. Offline co-op can also work too. One person plays on the TV whilst the other plays on the Gamepad.

I expect a reintroduction of the Tingle Tuner. I wouldn't mind that though, because that was very fun in Wind Waker. 

I hope the game isn't designed around co-op. I don't want any of that getting in the way of single-player.

I'd be fine wit hthe game being designed around single-player, but letting the player call Shadow Link (Player 2) to help them out. Basically the Super Guide with an actual person controlling the guy and you can still play, too. Something like the Tingle Tuner or Tingle Bottles would be fine, too. Or something completely separate.

• 9 months later...

I guess it is now less than 3 months before much more about this is known!!  ^__^

A gameplay video did pop up a few months ago and was discussed in this topic before the server reset,

which was quite good while still giving away very little!

It may be much more impressive than we are able to expect.  there is so much potential here and i think they will try to meet as much of it as possible!

I'm really excited to see more of this game! I have high hopes mainly because Link Between Worlds was sooo amazing that if Zelda Wii U is anything like it on an even bigger scale it's going to blow my flipping mind omg

Anyway, here's hoping we get something in Nintendo's next Direct. Otherwise, it's the E3 waiting game.

I kinda figured that that might happen, given how little of the game we've seen. I'd rather it be delayed and good than released early and incomplete or otherwise sub-par.

It does leave a gaping hole in Nintendo's winter schedule, though. What are they going to fill it up with?

I kinda figured that that might happen, given how little of the game we've seen. I'd rather it be delayed and good than released early and incomplete or otherwise sub-par.

It does leave a gaping hole in Nintendo's winter schedule, though. What are they going to fill it up with?

Well so far we have these games coming

Splatoon

Xenoblade X

Yoshi

Mario Maker

Project Guard

Project Giant Robot

Shin Megami Tensei x Fire Emblem

Devil's Third

Star Fox

Splatoon is coming out soon so that's out of the picture. If you remove that, you're left with 8 games with 6 months left of the calender year.

• Thumbs Up 1

Oh don't worry, the forum's search feature sucks harder than my vacuum cleaner.

Oh man, that's even more worrying. I feel like they're very behind regarding Zelda U. I wouldn't be surprised if it got pushed to the end of 2016.

Either Nintendo's got to push Star Fox being THE shit this year, or Wii U's gonna be dust before we even get to the next Zelda.

• Thumbs Up 3

Eh. As long as we don't have to wait too long for Xenoblade to be localized, I'm not too bothered by this. I mean, obviously it sucks to hear, but I kinda figured there was a good chance it'd be delayed.

Either Nintendo's got to push Star Fox being THE shit this year, or Wii U's gonna be dust before we even get to the next Zelda.

You say that as if it isn't basically dust already, depending on who you ask

I can see Nintendo shoving out Super Mario Galaxy 3 or a similar title out this year to make up for it. Something that will get people excited and get owners not to panic

I guess no one likes Yoshi or Xenoblade :(

I love Yoshi and Xenoblade X seems awesome.

But the Wii U hasn't lived off of titles that don't do much more than give generally positive responses. Bayonetta 2, Hyrule Warriors, DKC: Tropical Freeze, Kirby's Rainbow Curse, Mario 3D World... they've all been great titles I loved playing, but none of them could get anyone nearly as hype as, say, MK8 or Smash.

Yoshi Wooly World, Splatoon, and Xenoblade X are all gonna be fantastic, I'm sure. But they're not gonna do it like a Zelda U will. And going by how little they'd shown of Zelda U and how Star Fox had shown even LESS, that one's all but confirmed for next year too.

Stuff's looking bad. Way bad.

• Thumbs Up 1

Aaaaaargh, and just when I posted how much I was looking forward to Zelda Wii U. No E3 related stuff is a bummer too. I understand though that they want to make this an amazing Zelda game, so just have to wait patiently. Looks like it's going to be a 30th Anniversary game too. I just hope Nintendo can find another hype game to fill that Zelda void this year.

Btw I gotta post this Miyamoto quote again 8P

“A delayed game is eventually good, a bad game is bad forever.”

• Thumbs Up 1

I'm alright with it getting delayed. I kinda saw it coming. I expected it to be later on, but whatever.

What's baffling though is that it's apparently not ready to be shown at E3. Like...what? What the fuck happened? How far along is it if you can't even show SOMETHING it at E3? It's actually kind of concerning. It seems like we won't be seeing this one for a while. 

I'm guessing they announced it too early and fell behind. It sucks.

Btw I gotta post this Miyamoto quote again 8P

I hate this quote, it's so presumptious and implies the only thing that makes a good game is programming.

I'm not too miffed about the news, the game seems pretty ambitious so I didn't expect it for a while.

• Thumbs Up 1