Awoo.

*SUPER* Mario Maker (Wii-U)

Nintendoga

Source

Nintendo's foray into the world of creation allows players to edit levels using assets found in the original Super Mario Bros. for NES. The trailer showcases rejiggering of the stages by removing the floor, flooding the area with flying Koopa Troopas, and raising/lowering pipes.

The trailer also showcases the ability to swap between the 8-bit art style of SMB, as well as the visual style of New Super Mario Bros. U. The visual user interface is reminiscent of Mario Paint for the SNES, even down to the cute flyswatter mechanics.

Mario Maker is set to launch in 2015.

Looks interesting I guess. Kinda cool how you can change between visuals.

bJboQ6H.png
uvnj3HG.png

exmeey.gif

Kaizo Mario for Casuals

Was this actually worth putting in the stream? This shit couldn't be promoted afterwards?

• Thumbs Up 1

I am going to waste so much time with this.

I would have loved a 3DS version that could work with NSMB2 instead of U, but guess they could give the Wii U as many exclusive things as possible. Either way it ought to be fun.

I've always loved these sort of things.  It's much friendlier than learning how to hack ROM's and fosters creativity using their flagship IP.  So yeah, I'm all for this.  Might be worth picking up if I ever get a new console in this lifetime.

• Thumbs Up 5

I wanna see a Mario Maker for SMB2 or Donkey Kong(GB)/Mario Vs. Donkey Kong(GBA), anyone else agree?

Was this actually worth putting in the stream? This shit couldn't be promoted afterwards?

Uh. 

Why not?

Game looks fun though, is Death Stare Luigi going to be playable in this or what?

I wanna see a Mario Maker for SMB2 or Donkey Kong(GB)/Mario Vs. Donkey Kong(GBA), anyone else agree?

You know, Donkey Kong Country Maker with community maps and all that jazz would totally make my life complete.

Couldn't someone remake NSMBU on this?

I might be mistaken, but I don't think that any of the official titles are developed on such a limited grid, so I don't see that being a problem. XP

I might be mistaken, but I don't think that any of the official titles are developed on such a limited grid, so I don't see that being a problem. XP

It depends on the way the level is structured, really. You could possibly create a few levels from any Super Mario Bros. game, if you go for the simpler levels.

This looks really cool! I love games where you can build your own levels, so I'm definitely interested in this. This will probably be a downloadable thing though.

Something I've noticed in the official fact sheet:

With the tap of an icon, users can even switch the visual style between a classic 8-bit Super Mario Bros. look and the HD world of New Super Mario Bros. U in the E3 version.

"In the E3 version."  Implying that it'll be different in the retail version.  Now, I can't imagine that they'd remove this function from the retail version... but does this perhaps imply that the retail version might have more styles, including the popular Super Mario World designs?

• Thumbs Up 3

Just confirmed via the Treehouse Live demo - when you change between the Super Mario Bros and NSMBU visual styles, the game still retains the original 8-bit physics. So it'll still play like SMB even if it looks like a newer title, which will take a bit of getting used to.

Just confirmed via the Treehouse Live demo - when you change between the Super Mario Bros and NSMBU visual styles, the game still retains the original 8-bit physics. So it'll still play like SMB even if it looks like a newer title, which will take a bit of getting used to.

That kind of sucks, I was hoping there would be some wall jumping action. Then again it doesn't seem like you can increase the height or anything of the level, so they're going to be very basic...I guess it makes sense since they probably don't want people remaking games (because money, or something), but still. Disappointing.

Still looks fun, mind you. Have they said anything about sharing levels with friends online? That'd be a nice feature.

exmeey.gif

(´・ω・`)

Still looks fun, mind you. Have they said anything about sharing levels with friends online? That'd be a nice feature.

This game would be useless if you couldn't post your edits on Miiverse or whatever.

exmeey.gif

Kaizo Mario for Casuals

I swear this is a reference to all those SMW level hacks where Mario passes the goalposts and then just run straight into a wall.

Anyway, given that the game is coming out in 2015, I hope this means that the full version will be a lot more flexible.  I doubt they'll ever beat the hacking scene at its own game as the best hacks are perhaps too flexible, but something that could at least compete would be a really popular showing from Nintendo.

Urg I hope you can't ONLY use original mario physics.  They're pretty wonky.  I understand designing a NSMBU level and the moment you include a non-classic element, it's no longer switchable, but yeah.

I hope there's a variety of Mario music to choose from and it doesn't just reuse the NES/Wii U soundtracks.  Extra sucky points for if the music is explicitly tied to the aesthetic you choose for your level.

It'd be great if there were a handful of bosses to use that could be customised too to allow for fair bit of flexibility if you're clever enough with it (for example, perhaps programming a switch that can damage a boss, or being able to move the axe on a Bowser battle to a more elaborate to reach place, etc).

• Thumbs Up 1

does this perhaps imply that the retail version might have more styles, including the popular Super Mario World designs?

Oh boy. I can just imagine all the people trying to remake Kaizo Mario levels if that ends up being true. xD

It's now been confirmed that Mario Maker will have other graphical styles, possibly even from non-Mario games, and there may be a music composition feature.

http://nintendoeverything.com/mario-maker-getting-more-graphical-styles-tezuka-wants-non-mario-graphics-composition-feature-confirmed/

Surprise surprise, the E3 demo was only an E3 demo.  Who could have possibly predicted.

Oh man that's awesome.  I'm really happy about the music thing.  I'm no musical person myself but the option is very appreciated as it's not like there's any shortage of Mario Paint composition videos to look up to study as a starting point if you want a particular song.

It'd be cool if they can include the feature from Warioware D.I.Y. where you can hum into the microphone and it'll auto-compose what you hummed.  It was naturally, utterly imperfect, but it was a starting point for me to do stuff like have a little 4 second version of the Tank theme for a Left 4 Dead microgame I designed.  Once the awkwardly hummed tune was in the game, I was able to adjust the off-notes on a note by note basis by ear by sliding them around.

I might have gotten worried too early about what was available in the demo due to no reps saying "of course there'll be so much more in the final game" but I guess we are going to get a really full experience here.  Even if the HUD looks full right now, I'm sure there'll be drop down menus and stuff for further enemies etc.

I just really hope now that it's not tied to Mario Bros. 1 enemies and physics regardless of art style.  Though I confess I understand the concept that it would be hard to communicate what physics are being used in each level to a young player who always plays with the NSMBU graphics.

A music composition feature would be so cool!

I could run through my own ice level while Let It Go plays.

Man I wasted so much time on Mario Paint growing up and I am glad it is getting another installment since the Mario Artist series, albeit a level maker - actually as a kid that's all what I would make in Mario Paint was levels.

I mean I figured this game was in the same series when I saw the peripherals during the demos including the undo dog, the gnats and the eraser mechanics. Hell even the font is almost the same for Mario Paint.

What would be really meta is if they used something from Warioware in this game since Warioware started from the Mario Artist series.

I could see this game being a sleeper hit because of the potential - people love getting creative about things.