Awoo.

*SUPER* Mario Maker (Wii-U)

Nintendoga

I want to know if the Sonic aiimbo will be supported. I want to take the hedgehog on a run through Mario's world. ;P

• Thumbs Up 2

Naw its confirmed that it only works in the style of SMB 1. They mention it during the first showing of Mario maker in the Nintendo treehouse and when they showed of Wii fit.

It would of been interesting to see how they would look in the other styles. Although to be honest they probably wouldn't look too good in the NSMBU version. It would look weird.

That's not surprising because of how much effort that'd take. Just getting them for the SMB1 style is epic enough.

Got a couple videos from gamexplain and with direct audio.

Super Mario Maker - Level Creation w/ Direct Audi…:

Oh my god please tell me I'm not the only one who found the noises when placing things on the level is sooo weird and funny! I think I was laughing too hard on this but it really sounded super funny to me XD. And the music when creation mode is super catchy and nice. I love it.

Super Mario Maker - Body is Ready Level w Direct …:

And here is footage of the Wii fit trainer. Thanks to the direct audio we can hear how she is gonna sound and its pretty funny.

• Thumbs Up 1

Yeah, it's cute how each time you place something, it announces what it is in tune with the music.

So I went to best buy today and got to try our Mario maker! It was alot of fun. They had sample levels there, same ones found at E3, except the levels shown at the Nintendo world championships.

I didn't do a whole lot of creating levels but I got the gist of it to see how it works and stuff and it is super fun and easy to use.

Not sure if it will be in the full game but it seems you would have to go to different styles to get out a certain item or enemy. For example say you are in Mario world and you want a hammer bro but you don't see a hammer bro in your tool box. Hammer bros is located in the NSMBU style so you gotta switch to that style and place the hammer bro. I hope that's not how its gonna be in the final game so hopefully everything is in one place all organized like a list of power ups and enemies.

I really enjoyed playing the sample levels they had a lot and I managed to try out alot of them, especially the hard ones (which I dominated lol) and some really fun ones like levels that plays for you.

There wasn't that many people lined up for it so I was able to play it a great number of times.

I also found out that for setting up autoscrolling you can have to three speeds slow medium and fast. I did a level that had the fast autoscrolling underwater and the screen was pushing me as I'm swimming up an down against the wall trying to avoid blocks so i dont get squished. Such a fun and hard level.

This is one of the levels I played.

Super Mario Maker - Clown Car Chaos! (Direct Feed…:

And here is more level building stuff with direct footage.

I love the noises its so weird and funny.

Super Mario Maker - Level Creator Gameplay (Direc…:

And this level is really cool, I love these types of levels too.

Super Mario Maker - Just Keep Running & Cap'n Big…:

I will definitely be looking to get this. Hopefully it'll do well enough to warrant a sequel, featuring, alongside Mario and co, Sonic and his friends, for a double dose of platforming epicosity.

Yeah, not happening, but maybe they'll do level editors for some of Nintendo's other franchises, like Metroid and Zelda? Ideal DLC fodder right there, if you ask me. Then they can rustle us up a Mario Kart track editor and, well, all that jazzles.

• Thumbs Up 1

I forgot to mention but one of the staff told me that if I pre order this game I can get another game that's coming out later this year 20% off but I'm not sure if that's what exactly he said. Maybe he mentioned past games but the flyer he gave me it says that I'll get a button set if I preorder Mario maker and another game coming out too like yoshi wooly world or starfox zero but it doesn't mention the 20%...

I'm still not entirely sure about the 20% but I'll double check once I go there again this Saturday.

Edit: I just remembered but I think he said you only get the 20% on the second game only during E3 and stupid me forgot to do it. Hopefully Saturday counts.

Yeah, not happening, but maybe they'll do level editors for some of Nintendo's other franchises, like Metroid and Zelda? Ideal DLC fodder right there, if you ask me. Then they can rustle us up a Mario Kart track editor and, well, all that jazzles.

I believe they did suggest a while ago that they might consider doing Makers for other games based on Mario Maker's success.  Zelda Maker and Metroid Maker (especially the latter, because alliteration) strike me as some of the most functional examples, although they would be slightly more ambitious as Zelda and Metroid don't really have "levels," or at least, not ones as short as Mario levels.

I believe they did suggest a while ago that they might consider doing Makers for other games based on Mario Maker's success.  Zelda Maker and Metroid Maker (especially the latter, because alliteration) strike me as some of the most functional examples, although they would be slightly more ambitious as Zelda and Metroid don't really have "levels," or at least, not ones as short as Mario levels.

What do you mean? All of Zelda's overworlds join to a series of dungeons in which the actual bosses reside. It literally does not get more clear-cut than that - just make it a dungeon maker. Metroid's a little less clear cut, but I could still see Nintendo working something out. In 2D Metroid rooms are represented as cuboids on the map, so you could try running a bit Rougelike with it and randomizing rooms with the same dimensions and exits as the map overlay, if not going as far as designing an entire Metroidvania world singlehandedly. To be honest though, I could most easily see Kirby getting the Maker treatment next because his levels are if anything even more blocky than Mario's, so it wouldn't be all that hard to make a fit for a level editor.

...shit I just remembered. Did we ever hear anything about that Mario Paint esque music composition they alluded to earlier? Still waiting to hear "Through the Fire and the Bahs", Nintendo.

I didn't say it wouldn't be clear-cut, I said it would be ambitious, and that the levels specifically wouldn't be as short.  Zelda dungeons are longer and more complex than a Mario level, and harder to both get right and be good - and there'd be decisions to be made on whether to permit the creation of full overworlds in which dungeons reside or to limit people to overworld-styled dungeons.  Contrast the fact that Mario Maker doesn't have world maps at all, and while Mario world maps and Zelda overworlds are not fully analogous then I think it's telling that Nintendo hasn't enabled that framework to embed multiple levels in a grander work.  Metroid's objectives are tied to unified, expansive maps, and re-envisaging those as shorter and more discrete experiences is a different proposition - the Knytt Stories to Knytt, if you like.  Kirby Maker is a good call, though, you're right; that'd work really well.

...I haven't heard them mention anything more about music since, and it just appears that each level background has its own specific theme music.  Custom music, custom palettes, and world maps are probably the next things the ace hackers are looking for, but if they haven't been shown off now then they probably aren't in.

• Thumbs Up 1

Kirby, being the same sort of blocky game as Mario makes it the easiest next step for Nintendo along the Maker road. The closest thing in the Zelda series being dungeons - they seem like an easy fit for a Maker as well. Create a series of rooms in any vertical or horizontal configuration, draw the floors and the traps, set up puzzles and place items and enemies. What's not to love? Make your dream dungeon! You could even have a hand in creating the overworld too, but that's probably not going to happen - it is eminently doable, but should wait until the success or failure of the base game becomes apparent. Metroid's "levels" are probably the least suited to the Maker concept, and take the form of sub-worlds within the whole world of each game. Almost like what you'd get if Zelda's dungeons had an illicit love child with its overworlds. They can take several hours to traverse, including backtracking and such. I do think that they can be readily fit into a Maker game, though - it might just take a bit longer to make 'em.

If Sega's keen on making money easily from its own 2D mascot, a Sonic Maker would be the obvious road to traverse.

• Thumbs Up 2

Zelda and Metroid makers wouldn't be quite as tidy as Mario Maker to be honest.  Actually even Kirby maker.

The Mario games are so heavily about movement, that's why you can come up with a bazillion ideas just with the basic Super Mario Bros. 1 concepts - it's also why creating your own enemies in Mario Maker works so beautifully via attaching enemies to one another - you know how they're going to combine before you even do it most of the time because the pieces are so iconic and easy to understand.  Yeah power-ups ARE a thing but they're largely optional components.

With Zelda, Metroid and Kirby... I can't imagine enemy combining working in quite the same intuitive way (and in Zelda and Metroid it'd look darn silly too due to their more serious nature).  Kirby, Metroid and Zelda are also MUCH more about their items/weapons and such when it comes to the core gameplay.

And with Zelda and Metroid in particular, I feel a big part of the experience would be lost if you're only able to make segmented challenges.  All the benefits of the entire game, where you're expected to handle a large inventory of items/moves and remember and use them when needed would be kind of lost if you're just designing standalone dungeons.  Even if you can create a whole adventure, players would start to go through the motions as they steadily collect the same items every time, just perhaps in a different order this time etc.  The sense of wonder and discovery these games have from unlocking new toys to play with would be gone.  While Mario Maker level playing won't be the exact same experience as playing through a regular Mario adventure, it's much closer than playing standlone Zelda or Metroid would be.

Then of course there's the case of selling it to a non-creating public.  Mario level design is so easy to understand, even a beginner can design something on an instance by instance basis and test it out as they go a bit at a time.  Zelda dungeons are much bigger affairs where the flow for the entire 20-30 minute experience needs to be carefully put together to create a satisfying experience.  To put it simply, I think designing a fun Mario course is inherently easier than designing a fun Zelda dungeon or Metroid map, since Mario's principal mechanics are more fun on a general basis.

Like imagine the most braindead simple course design from Mario, just a bunch of mushroom platforms and Goombas everywhere.  It's still satisfying to jump from one to the next right?  You could even challenge yourself to bop all the goombas without ever touching the floor, and so on and so forth.  Now imagine the most braindead simple dungeon design from Zelda.  Just a bunch of rooms with switches to push and Stalfos to fight.  A whole 10 minute dungeon of that would get tedious fast.  But that's exactly what a lot of newcomers would make.

Mario is completely easy to understand, you can see it in front of you and test it instantly.  But Zelda requires you to actually come up with puzzles!  How would they look on a level editor screen?  I remember having so much fun with the single player level creator on Timesplitters 2 using the very basic logic system in place to come up with puzzles as well as good combat situations, but that shit got complicated fast even for simple stuff like "push these three switches in the right order to proceed" - that took 7 logic operations to organise together since you have to account for all the possible failure conditions too - and in Timesplitters 2 the only option was to fail the entire objective (and thus mission), I had no ability to "reset" the puzzle and make the player start over like you sensibly would have in Zelda - which would take additional variables and logic operations.

So I guess what I'm saying is, I'm confident there'll be plenty of fun user-made content in Mario Maker, but I think a Kirby, Zelda and Metroid maker - the good stuff would be diamonds in the rough, and those games generally having a smaller userbase wouldn't help either.

Of course on the flipside it would be an awesome educational tool for young kids interested in game design to move on from Mario Maker and start designing more complex puzzles using logic systems.  The question is whether that would be embraced or not on a scale that would earn Nintendo profit from it all.

I also think classic Mario is a bit more timeless than classic Zelda or Metroid.  The original games would need to be updated heavily in the same way Mario 1 has been here and then some, but not just in item limits and map sizes and such but also the actual character abilities.

• Thumbs Up 3

If Sega's keen on making money easily from its own 2D mascot, a Sonic Maker would be the obvious road to traverse.

They actually did, at some point? I'm a little hazy on the details because it's been quite a while, but if I remember right it didn't really take off because it was essentially a browser app that required a paid account to create levels, but not to play them. Definently wouldn't mind them trying again with a better head on their shoulders, though.

They actually did, at some point? I'm a little hazy on the details because it's been quite a while, but if I remember right it didn't really take off because it was essentially a browser app that required a paid account to create levels, but not to play them. Definently wouldn't mind them trying again with a better head on their shoulders, though.

Yep, it was literally called "Sonic the Hedgehog Level Creator", and it was done by Sega Europe, which is a surprise. It was part of PlaySega, and it even had a shockingly well-done original tileset and decent physics.

But, yeah, a Sonic Maker would be neat. Maybe they could get Tax and Stealth on that?

• Thumbs Up 4

UGH this game is fun. I didn't really mess around with the Maker aspect of it (I was standing up and people were behind me) so I just played sample courses. They're all really fun! I played one as Link and another as Wii Fit Trainer (her sprites are adorable omg). Amiibo compatibility was locked (someone had a Link amiibo and it didn't work, said "invalid amiibo") and the Nintendo people said they weren't sure which amiibo worked, aside from the ones in the stream, of course. I think NSMBU has different physics from the other ones, but I wasn't paying much attention. Also as I suspected, amiibo costumes only work in SMB style. But yeah, very fun!

Say, what if this got a Donkey Kong expansion? I'm reffering to gameplay based off Donkey Kong Arcade, Donkey Kong '94, and Mario VS DK of course(the original not the sequels), borrowing some of the traditional styles in addition to its own, and being puzzle and vertical movement based in smaller areas

Say, what if this got a Donkey Kong expansion? I'm reffering to gameplay based off Donkey Kong Arcade, Donkey Kong '94, and Mario VS DK of course(the original not the sequels), borrowing some of the traditional styles in addition to its own, and being puzzle and vertical movement based in smaller areas

*immature snicker*

But I'd be all for it! The Mario vs DK series already lets you make courses, so it'd be a perfect fit! I'd love to climb up a series of girders, jumping over Koopa shells and reaching Bowser at the top! Or better yet, just add the Hammer to a SMB level!

• Thumbs Up 3

Only issue is that Mario 1/3/World/NSMB all have the same basic rules which is why you're allowed to switch between them on the fly (designs that rely on pixel-perfect physics usage of course will become broken on certain styles, but otherwise yeah).

Mario vs Donkey Kong is a whole different kind of game entirely, and would kind of need to have its own dedicated editor and objects etc.  I can't see it being intergrated into the existing game that well.

I mean I'd be all for it on the basis that I'd adore SMB2 level design support to be added so I'd be a hypocrite if I poo-poo'd the idea of non-regular Mario games being added.

Super Mario Land and Super Mario Land 2 would also be very cool additions that COULD be dumped into the current editor, although those games have a bunch of unique enemy designs that would need to be created for the other styles - and vice verca.

• Thumbs Up 2

I was going to outright deny this, but, 'eh. I guess based on the original DK Arcade they could do something like that, but DKC is a different story. That would never work; DKC's levels aren't designed to be tileable.

On another note, I DO think that a Zelda Maker could work out pretty well. They could based it on The Legend of Zelda, A Link to the Past, Link's Awakening or the Oracles (or both), and Link Between Worlds. To LoZ, LA and/or the Oracles they'd have to add larger tiles based on LTTP (such as larger trees) but that should be fine. LOZ would also need town and castle tiles.

Granted, LBW would be difficult based on the height maps. But LBW is still tile-based.

I think this kind of thing could work pretty well. Combining enemies wouldn't necessarily work, but you could create your own creative dungeon ideas and overworlds. Characters would just have to be based on existing character models.

A Zelda Maker would be way, way more complex. But I think its doable.

As for Super Mario Maker, the only thing I can think of that could expand it well is adding a World Map feature. Other than a World Map, I don't know what else Mario Maker could do, really.

I'd suggest Wario Waker - I mean, Wario Maker - but then I remembered: Warioware DIY.  Wario got there first.

• Thumbs Up 3

Alright so seeing a bunch of the maker mode there are some things that I hope that will be in the final game.

I hope we are able to adjust the height of the top screens. Now it seems like the top screen is always big and open and if you wanted to be a horizontal level, you have to put up blocks at the top which is something I don't want to have in each level I make. Hopefully we and can make some vertical levels like the tower levels in Nsmb series.

I also hope the starting line isn't always being on a left side of the level and being able to put Mario anywhere in the level.

Hopefully the length of the levels would be larger than the demo size because most levels have been really short and I hope that there is gonna be like a checkpoint added on here to get full sized levels amd create some good lengthy levels.

I'm sure this will probably be complicated for them to add in but it'd be neat if they let us be able to control the autoscrolling and choose where to move for example I can make it go up then go right then go down right and whatever how you want it.

I believe thats it for now. I probably missed a couple but I'll probably edit.

Yep, it was literally called "Sonic the Hedgehog Level Creator", and it was done by Sega Europe, which is a surprise. It was part of PlaySega, and it even had a shockingly well-done original tileset and decent physics.

But, yeah, a Sonic Maker would be neat. Maybe they could get Tax and Stealth on that?

It seems very possible that it is being considered!  maybe even for the anniversary, if it has been worked on for long enough. 

even with the software designed to work with roms directly and Worlds etc, there still hasn't been the plateau/platform reached where there are, as this Maker will be, libraries of various types of levels that basically grow indefinitely.  ^_^

Epic Megagames/Games' sort of Sonic response PC platformer sequel shipped with a very substantial level creation system in 1998 and it is still going, just as their much older game ZZT had done since the 1991.  it is good that Sega has been patient, because, if it is done right, it is basically a perpetual motion device. 

I think with Mario Maker it is really just a matter of time (even if that time could be as long as three, four or five years) before this happens with Sonic! 

I also hope the starting line isn't always being on a left side of the level and being able to put Mario anywhere in the level.

A workaround to that would be to use the sublevel for most of the level instead. Like, start off by entering the pipe, then start off at the right side and make your way to the second pipe entry on the left.

But yeah, agree with your suggestions, especially the checkpoint option. That would be an helpful breather to give to an player during harder levels.

• Thumbs Up 3