Awoo.

*SUPER* Mario Maker (Wii-U)

Nintendoga

https://discord.gg/0V4s0FGp2iwm6gzR

Where I'm sharings levels so join if you want. Easier for me I'd say.

But I got 3 levels up now.

https://miiverse.nintendo.net/posts/AYMHAAACAAADVHkbsOjnFQAYMHAAACAAADVHkbsOjnFQ

https://miiverse.nintendo.net/posts/AYMHAAACAAADVHkbo0uKfw

https://miiverse.nintendo.net/posts/AYMHAAACAAADVHkby3JDlw

I got some stages!

Test: CB74-0000-0018-2070

Ness' Scuba Adventure (test): A171-0000-0018-4DB3

Platforming Panic :^) : C6C4-0000-001A-A737

Don't lose Yoshi!: F5E7-0000-0021-FD90

Ahh! Get these guys off of me!: 36C0-0000-0022-CFA6

Edgy doot doot, 2spooky for kids: EE45-0000-0025-D0E0

There are two other ones but they're terrible so

Here are my courses:

• Bounce Pads!: DF97-0000-0027-E383
  • 30-Second Challenge: 8646-0000-0027-89A0
  • Airship 1: DEE8-0000-0026-CFF7
  • Piranha Madness!: C3BC-0000-0025-094F

In case this is considered an important secret I'll spoiler this.

Has anybody managed to beat the hidden fly swatting minigame yet? I wouldn't be bothering if it weren't for the Builder Mario costume it unlocks but man that third round is tricky!

Just made my first level.  Code is 4E76-0000-0028-DE1A

Yoshi's Island Course 2.  A near perfect copy of the second level in SMW, obviously since there are no Chargin' Chucks, I swapped them out for Sledge Bros.

Plus a shout out to FuSoYa and his hacking tool Lunar Magic

Edited by Tailikku

Hidden Content

I got it earlier too, but I got discouraged because I thought the big fly was invulnerable to swats and that I'd have to guide bombs into it or something. Did a quick youtube search and nope, turns out you just have to tap him a fucking lot. Like, press X 60 times to not die a lot. That's just taking the piss.

On the subject of level sharing, here's 4 levels of mine:

Paratroopin' (C92A-0000-0012-605B)
First level, focused on Paratroopa hops. Seek out the blocks for Mushrooms in case of trouble.

Something Land (F091-0000-0015-74F6)
Just a random SMB overworld level.

Puzzle House of Horror (7686-0000-0027-39D6)
My attempt at a puzzle level. Wander around and hunt the items necessary to open the exit.

I'll give the levels here a whirl tomorrow!

Bossy Boss Rush (4E93-0000-002F-AD36)
I hope you like Bowser and Bowser Jr., 'cause you're gonna cross paths with them a lot in this 4 stage level. My main focus was trying out different boss setups and challenges. Plenty of power ups to make up for the length!

Edited by MickX
level level level level level level

I've made two more levels. I'll repost my first leve's code too, while I'm at it:

Gotta Goomback to work! (Auto): 43AB-0000-0023-F4FC
Hold right & run to win!: C807-0000-0026-A2B2

Since you can only upload 10 levels by default, any stages that aren't well recieved will be deleted so I can upload more.

Edited by Shade Vortex
Oops, I hit post early.

Might as well throw my first course into the frying pan too! 

Bouncy Shells & Springy Wells: 498F 0000 0025 D3B9

I had hoped to put more little rewards and secrets for those thinking outside the box but I still don't have too many resources available to me yet. There's a 1-UP to collect on the way and odds are you'll spot it just fine.

Edited by LiamTheAnimator

Gotta hop in on the fun and share my two courses as well:

Piranha Passage: 98F5-0000-0016-D6C9
Just a little obstacle course in NSMB-Style with heavy focus on piranha plants and pipes. I've placed some secrets for those who like to explore a bit, and at the end of the stage I even cooked up a little bossfight.

Airship Armada: 9758-0000-0022-DE53
8-Bit airship course with branching paths and some bomb puzzles. Not much to say for that one, except I really like how I crafted the ending. If you prefer your Mario levels hectic and dangerous, you'd hopefully like this one.

Mario Maker is so much fun, I've still got many ideas for some potential levels left. My big goal for the title is creating my own sort of Mario game, with 8 Worlds. Let's see how far I really get, still highly motivated.

Made a couple of stages
Mega Mario Mayhem: 5EF5-0000-0021-D07A
Uses the Mega Mushroom from the 8-bit Mario amiibo, based on Super Mario Bros.

Charizard's Wild Ride:
218C-0000-0025-C028
Fire level that uses the Charizard amiibo costume and rails for the ride of your life, based on Super Mario Bros.

Goomba Toss: 6C1C-0000-0027-77F7
Level where you have to carry and throw Goombas to progress, based on Super Mario World

Spin to Win!: 8FD8-0000-002F-47B5

Jumping then spinning is crucial in this level, as well as using the spin jump to bounce off enemies, based on New Super Mario Bros U

Some courses I've made: 

Wild Sky: See if you can make it to the end! If you're having trouble, there might be an easier way if you look hard enough. 15BF-0000-002F-B6BA

The Cave:  A level filled with secrets. Can you find all the 1 ups? E0DE-0000-002F-F6666

Man this game is cool.

I made an honest shot at making something good with beginner's parts, instead of trying to unlock everything first. It's got some tricky bits but I'm pretty happy with it.

Wall Kicks Might Work!: 3F43-0000-0030-E23D

I've published two levels. The first level was made without unlocking everything.

491F-0000-0023-7515 | One of One (New Super Mario Bros. U)

The second level is after I unlocked everything but didn't make enemy spam

264B-0000-0030-A2A6 | Spiny and Buzzy Beetle Together (Super Mario Bros. 3)

Alright, I've finished another level. For the convenience of those who want to check out all my levels, as usual I'll just post them all here at once:

Brick Break Base: 4B98-0000-0013-570B

Gotta Goomback to work! (Auto): 43AB-0000-0023-F4FC

Hold right & run to win!: C807-0000-0026-A2B2

My new one is Bowser Battleground: 5116-0000-0030-D149

People have described it as "brutally difficult", so have fun.

Edited by Shade Vortex

Alright, now that I've played some of the user-made levels here, one major gripe with this game comes to mind.

There are no checkpoints.

With invisible coin blocks, leaps of faith, Lakitu spam and mandatory P switches, all available for the player to spam with reckless abandon, how in the unholy fuck did Nintendo forget to add checkpoints? It's not to say I haven't enjoyed what I've played so far, but some of these levels clearly weren't designed to be finished in a single sitting, and that's to say nothing of the ones that show nothing but pure, undistilled loathing for the person playing them. I can only hope they'll be coming in an update somewhere down the line, because larger and/or harder levels really suffer for it without them.

• Thumbs Up 6

Alright, now that I've played some of the user-made levels here, one major gripe with this game comes to mind.

With invisible coin blocks, leaps of faith, Lakitu spam and mandatory P switches, all available for the player to spam with reckless abandon, how in the unholy fuck did Nintendo forget to add checkpoints? It's not to say I haven't enjoyed what I've played so far, but some of these levels clearly weren't designed to be finished in a single sitting, and that's to say nothing of the ones that show nothing but pure, undistilled loathing for the person playing them. I can only hope they'll be coming in an update somewhere down the line, because larger and/or harder levels really suffer for it without them.

I bet those people still wouldn't implement checkpoints into their stages. :v

One cool idea I can think of is to give the player the ability to place a one-time checkpoint at any location of their choice during the course attempt, as long as they are on solid ground. Like a save state of sorts. That way it's up to the player to decide where to put their own safety save to help ease the pressure during the run.

The game's manual is right about one thing: it's always great to have an opinion from other people besides the creator. It's so hard to have a grasp of your own stage's difficulty while making it. Mastering self-control on level design can be really tricky!

Edited by MickX

Well, turns out I got the game earlier than I thought, due to my sibs wanting the game a lot and were willing to split the bill four ways.

... I think Platformer level design might be right up my ally, actually. 0.o Started making a more vertically item-filled version of the tutorial level, just for the sake of unlocking stuff sooner, but eventually it morphed into a level with some actual thought put into it. Even with the very basic items, there's already a lot of variables to consider.

How contained-yet-open ended your level and it's paths can be, what's considered exploiting and what's considered deeper gameplay, how hard certain areas should be without being too trial-and-error based, how mechanics-driven a level should really be, what gimmicks hold up for an entire stage and what ones should be limited to certain areas, and so on

And that's just with the first item pack! I don't even want to think about how complex it'll get once I've unlocked everything...

The game itself is just okay, though. Noticed several elements in the game are pretty low quality for some reason, such as the enemies' animation frames being very limited, and the fire-piranhas moving only in two angles in the SMBU skin. Menus feel really non-traditional and awkward, as well. Outside of that, though, there's not much else wrong with the game itself. Has a neat Mario Paint-esque feel to it overall. Do not think it's worth $60 overall, but I spilt the bill, so eh.

Here's the level ID and info for those curious about it: 

Decked-Out Beginnings (Difficulty: 2/5): DEA5-0000-002D-88E1

Just a simple and random edit of the tutorial level that eventually turned into my first fully fledged level in the game. Uses only the basic day 1 items, but I tried to make it as fresh as possible with what I had. Also tried to make the design as open-ended for the player as possible without being completely broken in it's progression and difficulty. Has a couple secrets here and there, but due to the limited items, don't expect any 1-ups from them. Will definitely make the secrets more rewarding as I unlock more stuff, though.

People who don't understand how to design around the lack of checkpoints wouldn't be making many good design decisions even if they had them.

I think the lack of checkpoints comes down to Nintendo's focus on making the most user-friendly level editor possible, and trying to weed out unbeatable levels. Right now they've got a simple system to prevent the worst of unbeatable levels, by requiring the creator to do one successful run before uploading them. It's not a perfect system, it can't account for the various ways a level can be rendered unbeatable by the player's actions, but at least there is guaranteed to be some way to get from spawn to goal successfully.

Checkpoints would add a wrinkle to this, though. They'd introduce ways to render a level unbeatable that couldn't be fixed by death and respawn. Die and lose your powerup from before the checkpoint, where you can't backtrack? Now you can't break the bricks blocking the goal. Or you're missing a star for a muncher/spike run, or a p-switch to clear a block wall (or create platforms), etc. Without checkpoints, even if a player ends up in a similarly unwinnable state, death will inevitably reset them to a winnable state (even if you dump them in a harmless inescapable room, time will get them eventually). But with checkpoints there's no way to ensure that the game on its own can kick them back to a winnable state.

So if they were going to have checkpoints, they'd have to choose between one of two options (at least, I can't think of any others). Either require the creator to test the level not just from the start but from the checkpoint (or checkpoints, if multiple were allowed) as well. That's unintuitive to new players and a waste of time for the vast majority of people. Alternatively they could accept that unwinnable situations are possible, and they can't guarantee that the game will pull players out of them, and put the onus on the player to realize that they have to manually restart the stage. This again is unintuitive and it's the sort of sloppy user experience that I would expect Nintendo to want to avoid.

• Thumbs Up 7

People who don't understand how to design around the lack of checkpoints wouldn't be making many good design decisions even if they had them.

I think the lack of checkpoints comes down to Nintendo's focus on making the most user-friendly level editor possible, and trying to weed out unbeatable levels. Right now they've got a simple system to prevent the worst of unbeatable levels, by requiring the creator to do one successful run before uploading them. It's not a perfect system, it can't account for the various ways a level can be rendered unbeatable by the player's actions, but at least there is guaranteed to be some way to get from spawn to goal successfully.

Checkpoints would add a wrinkle to this, though. They'd introduce ways to render a level unbeatable that couldn't be fixed by death and respawn. Die and lose your powerup from before the checkpoint, where you can't backtrack? Now you can't break the bricks blocking the goal. Or you're missing a star for a muncher/spike run, or a p-switch to clear a block wall (or create platforms), etc. Without checkpoints, even if a player ends up in a similarly unwinnable state, death will inevitably reset them to a winnable state (even if you dump them in a harmless inescapable room, time will get them eventually). But with checkpoints there's no way to ensure that the game on its own can kick them back to a winnable state.

So if they were going to have checkpoints, they'd have to choose between one of two options (at least, I can't think of any others). Either require the creator to test the level not just from the start but from the checkpoint (or checkpoints, if multiple were allowed) as well. That's unintuitive to new players and a waste of time for the vast majority of people. Alternatively they could accept that unwinnable situations are possible, and they can't guarantee that the game will pull players out of them, and put the onus on the player to realize that they have to manually restart the stage. This again is unintuitive and it's the sort of sloppy user experience that I would expect Nintendo to want to avoid.

Yeah, I totally forgot about starting from checkpoints. This is something that'd be useful for more advanced play later on, but I do agree with this notion. It was too overly complicated to make checkpoints work right now.

I would like them to add more advanced features, though. I'd like to see checkpoints added, and the ability to set goals and start points anywhere you want (and be able to set multiple goal points). I doubt these can be done as DLC, but it'd be nice to see that in a more advanced followup.

Checkpoints, however, might be possible as DLC. They'll have to force playtests to be able to win from the checkpoint(s) as well, though.

More levels from me.

Ghost Airship (3B62-0000-0034-666D)

This is probably my most decent one yet. Not too hard or not too insane lol. Filled with Boos, magikoopa, dry bones and cannons balls cause its still an airship so yea have at it.

Hedgehog Hallucination (A27B-0000-002F-43B3)

This one is just filled with distractions of sound effects and visual effects so pay attention when playing this one because its pretty crazy. I love playing it. 

Mega man! (Run FAST) (6B9D-0000-002C-0A2E)

Not too hard in this one unless you find fast auto scrolling hard then good luck :P Make sure you got your jumping skills.

RUN RUN RUN! (BF80-0000-002A-5EF2)

Remember that hard level in new super Mario Bros U Called "run for it"? Well this is my version of it. Of course it's harder.