Awoo.

*SUPER* Mario Maker (Wii-U)

Nintendoga

Ok, that's REALLY cool, I didn't notice that myself. It's nice enough that they gave the 4 major styles 2D Mario has gone through, but to actually have the gameplay down to the physics is amazing.

I'm pretty sure they're not EXACTLY the same as the original physics. Its also notable that Super Mario World's spin jump works in New Super Mario Bros. style, when the spin jump wasn't in that game before. (Or at least, not in that way.) I think its because they wanted each game to be a "progression," so the higher level frameworks have more features, and don't actually remove features, they just shift certain items only.

Are there any characters that are unlocked only via an amiibo, or is every single character unlockable within the game itself?

You can unlock them by playing the game. You really don't need to buy any amiibos. 

From what I understand, you can unlock every single mystery mushroom costume through doing the 100-Mario challenge (on any difficulty). The only thing that seems to be locked is the giant Retro Mario, which is unlocked by the 30th Anniversary Amiibo.

I'm pretty sure they're not EXACTLY the same as the original physics. Its also notable that Super Mario World's spin jump works in New Super Mario Bros. style, when the spin jump wasn't in that game before. (Or at least, not in that way.) I think its because they wanted each game to be a "progression," so the higher level frameworks have more features, and don't actually remove features, they just shift certain items only.

??? NSMB has had the spin-jump since NSMBWii, iirc. You just had to shake the wiimote to pull it off. NSMBU definitely assigned it to the shoulder button like how it is in Mario Maker, though.

??? NSMB has had the spin-jump since NSMBWii, iirc. You just had to shake the wiimote to pull it off. NSMBU definitely assigned it to the shoulder button like how it is in Mario Maker, though.

I'm pretty sure I heard that the spin jump worked a lot differently, though, and now it works the same as in Super Mario World.

The spin jump in NSMB doesn't let you bounce on spiked enemies and Thwomps. That's what they changed in SMM, so now you can. Kinda hoping that if they do continue with the New Super Mario Bros. series they take some inspiration from this game and change it there as well. Also let us throw items upwards again

• Thumbs Up 3

The difference is now it protects you from spikes like it does in Mario World. It functions mostly the same otherwise, it just wasn't the "cheat" button it was in World, though doing it after already jumping did SLIGHTLY lengthen your jump.

So I've bought this now, and tried out, and...uh, honestly, it's way underwhelming for me.

The problem is that I just think LittleBigPlanet 2 gave you so much freedom and you could run away with your imagination in every aspect. This is way more reserved and restrictive, I can't do anything with it, and even the diamonds in the rough of the endless auto-levels are way less impressive than some of the works that you could get on LBP2.

Not intended to be a complete off-the-wall creator like LBP2, I know, but this is just a very lukewarm experience for me. :/

So I've bought this now, and tried out, and...uh, honestly, it's way underwhelming for me.

The problem is that I just think LittleBigPlanet 2 gave you so much freedom and you could run away with your imagination in every aspect. This is way more reserved and restrictive, I can't do anything with it, and even the diamonds in the rough of the endless auto-levels are way less impressive than some of the works that you could get on LBP2.

Not intended to be a complete off-the-wall creator like LBP2, I know, but this is just a very lukewarm experience for me. :/

I'd say you got 2 problems here, first off compare it to the original instead of a sequel, as of course sequels tend to be bigger expanded experiences, they have more development time. The second difference is that LBP is a stand-alone entity created solely for that purpose while this is a modification of an existing IP, of course there are going to be limitations, this is the first time out, and it takes skills to use a more defined engine efficiently

What Mando said, also VEDJ-F, expecting the editor to be as complex as LBP is missing the point, Mario is a much more simple experience, not to mention there will certainly be alot more great levels to play online over time.

Here's a fun one some of you guys will appreciate hopefully:

tumblr_nusa5fMPVQ1qhi4j7o1_1280.jpg

Aqua Lake Zone Act 2 - B6A9-0000-0042-D631

Ring… wait no, Coin Count: 300

Partial creation of the 8th stage from Sonic 2 for Game Gear/Master System.  I thought the Labyrinthian structure would make for an interesting conversion into a Mario-style underwater course.  The Ice Block walls represent “cut-off” areas where I had to restructure to fit into the horizontal style of Mario Maker’s design layout (or in the final instance of these, simply because walk-through walls that look the same as other walls aren’t possible in Mario Maker, and thus the secret shortcut to the goal would be not at all secret).  The zoom tubes are absent unfortunately, since they would’ve been way too hard to fit in as well, and probably would’n’t have been that fun to navigate at regular speed anyway.  They’re simply replaced with regular warp pipes to move from one chunk of horizontal design to the next, with doors being used for the same purpose in areas where there weren’t zoom tubes originally.  Despite missing the zoom tubes though, you can still locate the chaos emerald…

As a final note of trivia, the spelling of my name with coins somewhere in the course is not me being vain… entirely.  In the Game Gear version specifically, the level designer known by the credits only as “RAY” spelled his name out with rings… so the level designer here decided to do the same.

You can compare to the original layout here.  While I grew up with the Master System version, I used the Game Gear layout simply because that’s what I had easy access to.

• Thumbs Up 1

4 more stars until I can upload 10 more stages.......so close.

Anyways last level until i get 50 stars so i could upload 10 more. 

Armed koopas. This may be my most difficult one yet. Flying through the skies with koopa troopas equiping cannons on their backs. Use those to get by. Just watch your jumping. 

https://miiverse.nintendo.net/posts/AYMHAAACAAADVHkcnEhPkA

Also tried a few of you guys levels and you guys got some good stuff here. One I remember is from mick's level the boss rush level that one was good. 

I definitely enjoyed vizards green hill zone levels. Was pretty much almost the same. Layout wise and it still give abit of a challenge too! 

Still enjoying the heck out of this game.

Another level from me. It's a pretty short one and is designed to be played at speed once you initially build the momentum up. Don't stop for anything! After the less than 2% pass rate on my first level I've made things a bit easier this time round. Hope you guys enjoy it!

Hasty Escape: 1DC2-0000-0043-F3D5

Edited by LiamTheAnimator

Now this is a wonderful adaptation of WarioWare, haha!

I wonder though, how do the creators mute the background music?

• Thumbs Up 1

Aw lame.  I just played the online version of my Aqua Lake Zone course and discovered that custom sounds do not get uploaded, so when you collect the “chaos emerald” coin, a bird just flaps down and tweets at you, when I had actually recorded the chaos emerald jingle from the original game to play there.  I’m not surprised but I wish the game had informed me of this before I uploaded with random bird happening.

Here are a few levels I made.

Bull's-Eye Bill Valley (27B3-0000-002B-6C04) Just say the difficultly of this is kinda normal & hard.

A very hard ship level (8FA2-0000-0035-A43F) As the name implies, it's a hard level.

Flying Battery Zone (5913-0000-0040-47BC) Here's a small homage to the Flying Battery Zone from Sonic & Knuckles by memory. So, some stuff is just added. Also, made the capsules look like from Sonic 1 by mistake, oops. Also try my best to recreate the Gapsule, Barrier Eggman & the Hang Mobile.
WVW69iZEOsgJOw1r3Ahttps://youtu.be/qFFhD7DMSvU

My friend made a stage if you like TMNT I'm sure you'll like this D817-0000-0034-13FB

I hear that the sounds actually work if you download the stage, but I'm also getting conflicting messages on that.

Tested that by playing Jez's Aqua Lake Zone Act 2 stage on Coursebot. Still got the bird chirp on the emerald coin. I guess custom sounds are not uploaded at all.

Edited by MickX

This game's core concept is cool, but the limitations in the the course maker and lack of really basic features at the moment really hurt it a lot right now. LittleBigPlanet isn't an unfair comparison considering they are very similar at their core and even the original LittleBigPlanet has things like slopes, checkpoints and the ability to search by usernames and keywords. It's not about making Super Mario Maker just like LittleBigPlanet, it's about giving Super Mario Maker things that both games should have and not just one.