Awoo.

StarFox Zero (Wii-U)

Nintendoga

I just caught up on Nintendo's conference and was disappointed overall, but this has totally made up for it. Soooooo happy.

Guys I had a 10 minute blink and I think I missed it. Anyone got the goods?

Guys I had a 10 minute blink and I think I missed it. Anyone got the goods?

There are none.

They talked Project Guard and then said "Star Fox is progressing, we'll show it when we think it's truly ready."

They showed some really, really rough footage to the press Sunday night. I'd take that over nothing. :\

I'VE BEEN WAITIN' FOR YOU TO COME HOME, BABY

This all sounds really neat. I'm probably going to be skeptical until I see more but...man. At least it's a new Star Fox game.

Finally

After all these years

yes

YES

Y E S

4534593.gif

I'm not a StarFox fan, so this news really didn't get me excited. That said, however, I am happy for all of you who are, because you've had a tremendously long wait, and maybe once that comes out we might get another much-missed series I'm more into, like F-Zero or Metroid, or... Doshin the Giant! tongue.png

Was Doshin ever actually a series? I only know of one game and that's the N64DD game that was later ported to Gamecube.

I've always found gyro controls WAY more responsive for aiming than control sticks in Zelda OoT and WW.  In Mario Kart 8 as well, I feel I can make much finer adjustments because the gyro offers a much larger amount of, I dunno, "detail" to the differences in intensity and direction of movement.

But yeah there's no reason to not include stick control either.

The one thing I'm wary of is I don't get the impression they're taking this as a hugely serious project.  Nothing here tells me this is going to be anything resembling the Starfox 64 experience again - in fact I'm bracing myself for another lacklustre experiment where too much focus is put on making sure it's new and fresh and we end up with another Assault or Command.  I mean nothing's been said of the classic forward moving shmup gameplay with memorable level designs, which is what made Starfox 64 so good.  Also expecting little out of this in terms of story as it stands.

Well this is interesting

http://www.gonintendo.com/?mode=viewstory&id=230680

Another look at the StarFox logo in Project Guard

Jun 12, 2014 by RawmeatCowboy

1.jpg

As we've already mentioned, Miyamoto has stated that Project Guard and Project Giant Robot could all potentially be part of the next StarFox game. Mr. Miyamoto isn't sure if that's the direction things will go just yet, but that didn't stop him from throwing in some StarFox branding into his E3 demos. We already talked about this detail, but now you can get a look at the StarFox logo in Project Guard above.

Link

So it may all be one game, that could be interesting

Honestly that just makes me worried that this game will be yet another Star Fox game that doesnt focus enough on what people love Star Fox for.

• Thumbs Up 3

So basically they still have no idea what the fuck they're doing, they're just throwing shit out there..

But whatevs, it's happening, that's cool. But I don't believe for a second they're actually gonna have this out in 2015. It still doesn't seem like they have a firm enough direction for a full game. I'm quite sure it's gonna disappear until 2016 and then re-emerge as something almost completely different. 

Motion controls?

Mahhhh.... 

I just hope the game works well. I haven't played Starfox since the 64, and I'm getting impatient.

Sounds cool. Still vying for motion controls being completely optional but if they aren't that bad then alright I can deal I suppose. 

Didn't see Krystal huh? Hmmmm.

But as he said still early, so I won't get my hopes up.

Interesting he said they're trying to find a developer to help them get it out by next year... I guess between the rest of this year and the next year they could have the thing made, but I still think this is gonna pull a typical Nintendo and disappear until 2016.

I do like the idea of having the aiming direction and flying direction unlinked. That would actually be really easy to make non gryo , just move the aiming into the right stick and the dodge maneuvers onto the d-pad and keep it as described for the motion controls

Well here is something interesting

http://www.gonintendo.com/?mode=viewstory&id=230950

Miyamoto ponders multiple vehicles (including mechs) for StarFox Wii U, calls this the 'year of StarFox'

Jun 13, 2014 by RawmeatCowboy

A portion of an Entertainment Weekly interview with Shigeru Miyamoto...

EW: Can you talk about what it’s been like bringing Star Fox to the Wii U?

SM: We worked on some ideas around Star Fox back during the Wii days. But the problem was that we didn’t have any new ideas to bring to the game. I wasn’t particularly interested in just making another Star Fox game with better graphics and better sound. So we set that aside back then. This time, as we were doing our experiments, and we found this idea of doing the two-screen gameplay. I was particularly interested in a new style of play, where you’d have the cockpit view on one screen, and you’d have the third-person standard Star Fox view on the TV screen, and how those two screens could interact with one another.

The idea of having a helicopter-style game, and being to then to drop a robot down and tether it, and operate the robot that you dropped while you’re controlling the helicopter: [There are] a lot of new and different ideas that we simply couldn’t have had, if we didn’t have that Wii U Gamepad.

EW: Is Project Guard something that will grow into its own game, or do you see it being absorbed into a larger game?

SM: Perhaps if you noticed in Project Guard, there was a Star Fox logo on the cameras! I have different ideas for what would be possible, but I haven’t finalized anything yet. One idea that I had for Star Fox is something like the Thunderbirds TV series, where they had all these different vehicles and Mechs that they could use. I’m not certain, but one thing I think about Star Fox is that, instead of just a ship-based adventure that we’ve seen in previous Star Fox games, there’s multiple different mechs and vehicles and things that they use. And maybe, within that, the Project Guard style of gameplay could be one element of sort of a larger-scaled thing.

The other analogy I’ve been using with the team is that the Star Fox games that we used to make were Star Fox for the movie theater, a big dramatic adventure. And this time, with our focus, it’s a little bit more of Star Fox if it were a TV series. So maybe Project Guard is the TV series of Star Fox that runs late at night, and the main missions of Star Fox are the TV series that runs in primetime.

EW: Out of interest, who is your favorite character to play in Smash Brothers?

SM: I haven’t played Smash Brothers thoroughly yet, but my suspicion is that I would probably play as Star Fox. Playing as Kirby might be a little bit easier, but…

EW: You prefer a challenge.

SM: This is gonna be the year of Star Fox. I’ll play as Star Fox for awhile.

Full interview here

I don't give a damn what this game is like in the end.

It's Miyamoto, it's Star fucking Fox.

Oh my god it could have dinosaurs again I don't even care I am so hype for this I don't care.

Kinda sounds lie Miyamoto really doesnt get why everyone loved the original 64, because the shooing stuff worked just fine. That's the whole point of Star Fox really.

Also with the two screen thing, it seems like you dont 'HAVE to look at the cockpit and you can play normally

Miyamoto doesn't want to rehash Star Fox 64.

Miyamoto wants to create a unique memorable experience on the Wii U that resembles Star Fox.

And the irony is that StarFox 64 was the only starfox game made first party by Nintendo, the original was mostly third party, same with assault(Namco), and well we don't speak of command. The fact is that the stuff that made 64 was that it did something different and interesting, and that's the same goal Miyamoto wants here

Miyamoto doesn't want to rehash Star Fox 64.

Miyamoto wants to create a unique memorable experience on the Wii U that resembles Star Fox.

How is creating a god damn game similar to what made the series famous and loved "rehashing"

What you're explaning to me and what this sounds like isnt Star Fox, it's a totally diffrent game with some Star Fox elements thrown because of brand recognition, in  i e Star Fox Adventures.

At best im expecting a ratio of Star Fox to non-Star Fox gameplay like we got in Assault

It doesn't seem like we'd be losing that much, as long as the Arwing / Landmaster gameplay is most important in the big picture. If the Project Guard gameplay is made to be a bit more elaborate than the minigame-tier quality it was at this year's E3, then it'd be decent fun for a mission or two.

Heck, give me more modern day versions of the ground missions, too. Assault would've been better with proper third-person beatemup / schmup mechanics and a good camera system. I'm up for anything as long as it's fun and I spend most of my time in the Arwing.

The main thing I'm worried about is saying that it's gonna be "like a TV show" to SF64's "big motion picture" take. Does that mean we're getting multiple eShop download games, or that we're getting a game that features different "episodes" within the game? I'd be much more comfortable with the latter, but the former could potentially be okay if there's not a massive gap between releases and they don't expect you to pay near full price. That'd kill the deal.

I don't understand how Miyamoto thinks that a regular Star Fox game would be boring if he can't stop playing the Arwing mode, btw, lol.

• Thumbs Up 2