Awoo.

Splatoon! Bow to your immortal queen, and indisputed best girl- Marie

YoshiUnity

I already got Splatoon (and Amiibo!) on pre-order and I still want to play it Day 1, but I'm so disappointed about things like lack of voice chat and friend parties etc. To think that we won't get the latter until August! It seems to me like Nintendo didn't expect this game to be such a big hit, but bloody hell they need to know that leaving stuff like this out of a TPS is ludicrous. I can only hope that voice chat will be one of the many things patched into the game in a major update.

Might not prioritise getting this right away when Yoshi's coming too and I've got Kirby to get round to.  At least we have a full single player campaign to sink our teeth into but that's not gonna be 2 months worth of content.

To be honest, I see the Amiibo 'locking' away stuff to be more like an actual Day One DLC pack. Which in itself is meh, but...

Well, you get the Amiibo too. So I'd completely justify it's inclusion. Just as long as Nintendo keeps the supply of Amiibo up.

Also, that Mii costume for Smash sooooort've dampers my hopes of Inklings for smash... but then again, we've a Link costume for them too, so it shouldn't matter too much... right?

game cost 70$ CAD. with the little content splatoon has, i rather wait until they drop the price.

Why is this game so expensive everywhere else?

I guess we should start thinking up our inkling colors. I'm going green all the way baby! Green FTW!

Surprised people are complaining about Amiibo unlocking stuff on the disc.  Can understand the CONTENT being frustrating, but if the fact that it's on the disc is a part of what's bothering you then I don't really know what you want exactly... to touch your amiibo and have it commence a download screen?  Part of the fun is that they unlock stuff instantly, it needs to be on the disc.

• Thumbs Up 1

5GtRl5j.png

Meanwhile, I'm still surprised we can even get a brand new Nintendo game and what's still looking to be my 2015 Game for less than £25.

Seriously, what's up with these prices? I feel bad for you others guys.

Might not prioritise getting this right away when Yoshi's coming too and I've got Kirby to get round to.  At least we have a full single player campaign to sink our teeth into but that's not gonna be 2 months worth of content.

Surprised people are complaining about Amiibo unlocking stuff on the disc.  Can understand the CONTENT being frustrating, but if the fact that it's on the disc is a part of what's bothering you then I don't really know what you want exactly... to touch your amiibo and have it commence a download screen?  Part of the fun is that they unlock stuff instantly, it needs to be on the disc.

• Thumbs Up 7

Most games that use amiibo don't provide anything beyond new outfits or tame rewards. Smash Bros. and STEAM are the only games I'm aware that use them for substantial purposes

The thing with Project STEAM is that, yes, its dumb that they're on the cart, but unlike RE6 and every other Capcom DLC, they aren't required for multiplayer or add to the story. The Fire Emblem characters are there as a homage to Intelligent Systems other game. They don't unlock their own story scenes, they aren't required to beat the main game, and they aren't required to play with others in Multiplayer because they don't unlock something like, say, a Fire Emblem map. I would love to pay for these characters, but they aren't like Capcom's DLC at all.

Most games that use amiibo don't provide anything beyond new outfits or tame rewards. Smash Bros. and STEAM are the only games I'm aware that use them for substantial purposes

I mean, honestly though, even that shouldn't be given such a free pass. 

It'd be SO easy for them to just put that stuff up on the shop for like $5. Why don't they? 

The thing with Project STEAM is that, yes, its dumb that they're on the cart, but unlike RE6 and every other Capcom DLC, they aren't required for multiplayer or add to the story. The Fire Emblem characters are there as a homage to Intelligent Systems other game. They don't unlock their own story scenes, they aren't required to beat the main game, and they aren't required to play with others in Multiplayer because they don't unlock something like, say, a Fire Emblem map. I would love to pay for these characters, but they aren't like Capcom's DLC at all.

Dude they're fully playable characters in a strategy game

come on

I literally don't understand how Smash Bros.'s amiibo functionality can operate without having an amiibo. It's like those toys were designed for that game specifically, there's no way that kind of feature can work as shop-bought content

• Thumbs Up 3

I mean, honestly though, even that shouldn't be given such a free pass. 

It'd be SO easy for them to just put that stuff up on the shop for like $5. Why don't they? 

Dude they're fully playable characters in a strategy game

come on

If you want a better comparison, yes, they're more akin to Capcom's on-disc DLC for fighting games. But they aren't like RE6's DLC.

I literally don't understand how Smash Bros.'s amiibo functionality can operate without having an amiibo. It's like those toys were designed for that game specifically, there's no way that kind of feature can work as shop-bought content

Smash Bros is the exception to the rule imo. It's the only game that uses them in a way that takes advantage of their physicality. I think Smash's use of amiibo was pretty clever.

• Thumbs Up 1

The reason I'm not bothered by amiibo and even enjoy them is the fact that they can be used to unlock stuff in any game that supports them. Over time they pay for themselves.

It helps that I wasn't bothered by Skylanders or Disney Infinity, either.

Oh, okay, I WILL agree that not just uploading amiibo content as downloadable DLC for those who don't want to own the toys is dumb.

Just saying the fact that the content is on the disc and was ready before launch just shouldn't be relevant at all.  I mean, all the programming for FPs is on Smash Bros' disc after all.

I can admit though I KIND of understand Nintendo's angle though.  Uploading amiibo content as DLC without amiibo kind of weakens the whole point of the brand.

Don't forget Mario Party 10.

Anyway... Seriously? I need to pre-order Splatoon on Gamestop (Probably EB Games for Canadians such as myself) for the Inkling costumes? Is there any indication for a regular e-shop release soon or I'm out of luck.

Don't forget Mario Party 10.

Anyway... Seriously? I need to pre-order Splatoon on Gamestop (Probably EB Games for Canadians such as myself) for the Inkling costumes? Is there any indication for a regular e-shop release soon or I'm out of luck.

http://www.smashbros.com/us/dlc/index.html

The Downloadable content page has them listed. I'm going to assume it's a Mewtwo like deal. A bonus if you preorder, and only for you for a limited time.

Hopefully the restock of Marth and other rare ones will be abundant. Or maybe some other way to use the Amiibo content, though that kind of kills the purpose of it. I dunno.

I'm really looking forward to playing this game though. I'll be spending a lot of time in the Turf War matches.

Oh, okay, I WILL agree that not just uploading amiibo content as downloadable DLC for those who don't want to own the toys is dumb.

Just saying the fact that the content is on the disc and was ready before launch just shouldn't be relevant at all.  I mean, all the programming for FPs is on Smash Bros' disc after all.

I can admit though I KIND of understand Nintendo's angle though.  Uploading amiibo content as DLC without amiibo kind of weakens the whole point of the brand.

Oh I can totally understand Nintendo's angle on it. My problem is that their angle is totally anti-consumer, not that their isn't one at all. 

As for it not matter whether or not it's on disc - I disagree. I can let it slide for optional costumes, but for actual meaningful content (with the exception of Smash because it does something totally different), if it's done and fully functional before launch, it should be on the disc. It's like charging an extra $15 to play as Tails in an already full priced Sonic 3 - it's not fair to the consumer.

Hmmm, its almost as if this was Nintendo's first attempt at an online shooter game, oh wait it is