Awoo.

Splatoon! Bow to your immortal queen, and indisputed best girl- Marie

YoshiUnity

I'll never know why do many dog lovers hate cats with a passion. While I prefer dogs, I've taken care of cats, and I thought they were nice company to have around. My dad is like this,  saying the thought of cats walking on counters and furnature after using the litterbox is disgusting. It doesn't help that he's allergic to them.

Of course, that's waaaay off topic. I thought the first Splatfest was a pretty neat change of pace, having turf wars at night and all. I personally chose the dog team, since (as I mentioned above) I'm more of a dog person. I've been playing pretty poorly the last few times, but I was doing pretty well with my team this time around. Overall, that was pretty fun, I'm looking forward to seeing what the next splatfest will bring us.  

I only got to play two matches (both which I won so I got to the first rank) before I went out with friends for the day. It's funny how I barely participated in Splatfest, yet its aftermath made me suddenly obsessed with gear slots and abilities. I used my super sea snails and cash to improve some gear I'm into and now I'm sporting this setup which I like:

Head Squidvader Cap (Skalop) - Special Charge Up

- Quick Super Jump

- Quick Respawn

- Special Saver

Clothes: Zekko Hoodie (Zekko) - Ninja Squid

- Defense Up

- Quick Respawn

- Swim Speed Up

Shoes: Red Hi-Horses (Zink) - Ink Saver (Main)

- Ink Recovery Up

- Ink Saver (Sub)

- Quick Super Jump

I wish I had swim speed up instead of a second quick super jump, but otherwise this setup seems to suit my needs for turf wars pretty well. I like how my hat helps with my specials while three out of four abilities on my shoes improve my ink usage. I didn't go for special duration up because I tend to switch between both Aerosprays in turf wars, one of them which uses Inkstrike meaning it wouldn't always be useful. What gear/abilities are you guys currently equipped with?

tumblr_nr32pjpub91u3akyno1_1280.jpg

Oh well…at least being a Cat King rewarded me with 18 Super Sea Snails.

I knew about them rotate abilities thing but I didn't know they could add extra ability slots on Gear that normally only have 1 or 2 abilities!

• Thumbs Up 1

This is overall my best gear set right now. I'm pretty happy with it.

Fake Contacts with Special Charge Up main ability gets bolstered by the two Special Charge Up sub abilities on the Red Vector Tee and the one Special Charge Up sub ability on my Samurai Shoes. The Fake Contacts also have two Ink Recovery Up sub abilities on them which stacks with the Ink Recovery up sub ability also on the Samurai Shoes. Ink Saver Main as a main ability on the Red Vector lets me cover ground quicker without having to worry as much about running out once I get into a firefight. Special Duration Up as a main ability on the Samurai Shoes makes Kraken and Bomb Rush that much scarier.

I have a bunch of other variations and stuff to just look cute in but I'll refrain from all that. I play this game way too much.

CJLhS0KWUAADGb0.jpg

CJLhS0LXAAA_-Po.jpg

CJLhSzZWgAA2up4.jpg

Rock Won in the EU Splatfest, netting me a nice 24 super sea snails

CJLhj5dWoAIRwpg.png

My Miiverse Rock support post

CJLhknEWgAAzVV7.jpg

CJLhkiQWEAAqLtS.jpg

As for set up I've got

Aviator/Pilot Goggles - Bomb Up > Defence Up > Defence Up > Defence Up

Camo Zip Hoodie - Ink Saver Main > Strength up > Special Up > Quick Spawn
Blue Trail Boots - Bomb Sniffer > Strength up > Defence Up > Ink Saver Main

Basically you do not want to go toe to toe with me lol.

• Thumbs Up 1

Also, since I remembered that fake Mario Sunshine thing from a while back, I decided to make a summary ruleset for a Sunshine-inspired game mode.

Name: FLUDD Turf War

- The setup is mostly the same as regular Turf War, with two teams of four on each side, but a third 'team' with a ninth player as Mario using FLUDD, initially spawning at a pre-determined location, but in the event that he gets splattered somehow, he spawns at a random location on the map.

- Mario basically plays like in Sunshine. Alternatively, the options can be set for regular Splatoon TPS controls.

- Mario is basically extremely difficult (if not impossible) to splatter with regular weapons (certain supers might do the trick, however), and FLUDD's water spraying is basically an instant splat most of the time, meaning the Inklings have to avoid Mario like the plague. However, Mario is slowed down in ink, and can't use squid form, so he's not as mobile as the squids a good deal of the time.

- The goal of the Inkling teams is to ink up as much of the map as possible with their colour. Mario's goal is to clean as much of it as he can, instead. While only one of the Inkling teams can win, the player who plays as Mario will get bonus XP and money for keeping a higher percentage of the map clean, with additional bonuses for having a higher percentage of the map cleaned than either team, and an even higher one for having a supermajority of the map clean.

Basically, it's turf war with an additional player running interference against both teams, forcing them to work around him. It'd basically be the Splatoon version of Vs. Saxton Hale.

• Thumbs Up 4

That would be a fine idea for a Mario Sunshine event of sorts at least. Maybe just everyone against Mario. :P

My favourite setup at the moment is:

- Studio Headphones - Ink Saver Main

-- Ink Saver Main, Swim Speed Up, Swim Speed Up

- Anchor Sweat - Cold Blooded

-- Ink Recovery Up, Swim Speed Up, Strength Up

- Red Hi-Tops - Ink Resistance

-- Ink Recovery Up, Bomb Range Up, Ink Recovery Up

I used to be a fan of Ninja Squid for most of the game (got a White Anchor Tee with two Defense Ups and a Special Charge Up), though lately in Ranked battles the odds of having an enemy with Echolocator is enough to deter me from using Ninja Squid these days, plus the movement speed debuff since 1.3.0 is fairly notable now. The set has some pretty cool looks too, for me at least!

Sometimes I use a Navy Striped LS vest (Strength Up), with two Special Charge Ups and a Special Saver, to complement weapons that otherwise might not be as effective if the opponent's wearing lots of Defense Ups, like the .52 Gal or the Squelchers. Plus blue is also nice!

A variation of the top tier .96 Gal. I'm sure I'll hate that version as much as the original. I'll try the Sploosh-o-matic since it appears to be a variation of my favorite shooter, the Splash-o-matic.

Honestly the Sploosh reminds me of a machine gun type Luna Blaster, which I'm really digging. Watched some videos and you down people like CRAZY with it. 3 shots and dead if they don't have a defense buff, and the gun shoots pretty dang fast, you just need to be close. Probably better for things like splat zones, but I'll have to try it later. Definitely liking the look of it though, especially with the beacons. If I had a buddy to play with on my team constantly (hopefully this kinda mode comes sooner than later), I can see one of us being this gun and the other as a luna blaster and being a pretty OP CQB team to be reckoned with. Both secondary weapons are defensive (mine is great for watching your back, and beacons to get your buddies back in the fray), and both specials are long range monsters (inkzooka and killer wail). I just can't help but see the similarities and am excited to try this gun as being an active luna blaster user.

The other gun seems pretty neat as well but just never have really been my type. Also not really a fan of the kraken anymore, especially after a few episodes of encountering someone using one against me and I could actually keep them pushed back continously with the luna blaster shots, and eventually started making them /go backward/ when my inkzooka was ready lmao. 

Definitely didn't do good in my splatfest runs lol almost every match I had my team lose because some gets disconnected or they hardly do anything.

0 kills and 15 deaths?!?! Come on step it up! Only won one match out of like 10 ive played but its whatever because it was still pretty fun and it was nice to hear some new tunes and fighting at night.

I was telling dogs because I like did more. Only got 6 sea snails which look like a shroom that could be from Mario. Lol.

https://miiverse.nintendo.net/posts/AYMHAAACAAADVHkPY1le4A

I didn't change much but I add slots to the glasses. I used to have the football helmet but now I'm Swagging out with the glasses. Of course I still gotta upgrade them.

I used my snails for the hero clothing from mission mode bit I don't think I'll use them. I have regrets lol.

Still going hard with the splattershot jr.

Bubbler can be so cheap at times lol but I love it.

I also can't wait to be able to make friend lobbies so we can actually have organized battles against each other. Its pretty much next month.

Well, I finally got Splatoon today. My current gear set is Fashion Cap + Rockenberg Black + Zombie Hi-Horses. 

My current thoughts on the game is I'm really loving it. The multiplayer especially is extremely fun, and it feels good once you manage to get a killstreak going in the game.

But on the flipside, I can't help but feel the game is seriously missing features or has stupid decisions. For example, It kind of sucks that Turf War is the only game mode in the game for multiplayer, the Solo story missions feel rather short, there's no tourney mode, no 1v1 mode except for local multiplayer etc. Even more annoying is the fact that you can't change settings unless you are at the plaza, which can get annoying if you want to change them in story mode or in a game lobby, and the fact there isn't private lobbies where you can invite your own friends is pretty damn idiotic for a shooter game. 

Well, I finally got Splatoon today. My current gear set is Fashion Cap + Rockenberg Black + Zombie Hi-Horses. 

My current thoughts on the game is I'm really loving it. The multiplayer especially is extremely fun, and it feels good once you manage to get a killstreak going in the game.

But on the flipside, I can't help but feel the game is seriously missing features or has stupid decisions. For example, It kind of sucks that Turf War is the only game mode in the game for multiplayer, the Solo story missions feel rather short, there's no tourney mode, no 1v1 mode except for local multiplayer etc. Even more annoying is the fact that you can't change settings unless you are at the plaza, which can get annoying if you want to change them in story mode or in a game lobby, and the fact there isn't private lobbies where you can invite your own friends is pretty damn idiotic for a shooter game. 

Actually, Turf mode isn't the only mode, however it is where you start, when you reach rank 10 you unlock ranked matches which includes Splat Zones and Tower Control(a recent addition). They just want you to build up your skill and inventory first, its called patience. Private lobbies drop next month, and there are more game modes on the way as well.

Actually, Turf mode isn't the only mode, however it is where you start, when you reach rank 10 you unlock ranked matches which includes Splat Zones and Tower Control(a recent addition). They just want you to build up your skill and inventory first, its called patience. Private lobbies drop next month, and there are more game modes on the way as well.

Was that part really needed? When I see Ranked Matches, I think of ''Turf War with leaderboards'' not new game modes altogether.

As for new content. I'm going off what's in the game right now. It's cool they're adding new content but stuff like Private Lobbies should have been in there from the beginning.

Was that part really needed? When I see Ranked Matches, I think of ''Turf War with leaderboards'' not new game modes altogether.

Splat Zones has teams try to ink only 1 or 2 specific areas of the map. Once a team has completely inked it, their Counter will count down from 100 to 0, as long as they can keep the area from being inked by the other team. Whichever team has a lower number after times' up wins. However, if time ends but the opposite team with a larger number or number closer to the winning team's number has control of the Splat Zones, the timer goes into Overtime.

IMO, Splat Zones are extremely difficult. I've won and lost matches within one minute, either because my team was awesome or because the other team was better.

Tower Control has teams try to get on top of a tower, which is located in the middle of the map. Once a single Team Member gets on top of the tower, it will move in the direction towards a goal. However, the goal is located on the opposite team's side of the map, so you have to juggle between defending the Tower from the top or on the map from the other team. If neither team is on top of the tower for a period of time, it will automatically move back to the center of the map. Whichever team can get the tower to go the farthest distance before time runs out wins. Like Splat Zones, if the other team with the biggest but close to the winning team's number has the tower, time will change into overtime.

IMO, Tower Control is easier than Splat Zones because once your team is in the lead, you have to make sure the other team doesn't catch up and push the Tower to a dangerous distance. However, matches can still end quickly depending on who's on your team.

You mentioned Leaderboards, but it's kind of different. Every win and lost will affect your Rank. Everyone starts with C- and work their work to +A. Before Tower Control was added, trying to get to B- from C- took me about 50 or more matches in Splat Zones.

Also, while you do win more experience in Ranked Battles, it's only if you managed to stop the other team from reaching 0. If a Team wins by a Knockout, the losing team doesn't win ANY experience.

Ranked Battles are way too competitive for new players to hop right into, which is why it wasn't available until enough people got past level 10.

• Thumbs Up 2

Ranked matches are definitely a lot different from typical turf war matches, with Splat Zones being a twist on control points and Tower Control being a moving version of King of the Hill. And holy hell, ranked matches are competitive.

• Thumbs Up 1

Also worth mentioning, the maps have differences during Ranked Battles.

For example:

-the construction trucks disappear in Port Mackerel

-while a block platforms are added to both team's sides in Kelp Dome allowing people to reach the center of the map faster.

-In Bluefin Depot, bridges are added during Tower Control that allow either team to get over the divide.

EDIT: New Splatfest has been announced:

tumblr_nr88mdkJ1v1u3akyno1_1280.jpg

Announcing the 2nd Splatfest for the Americas! This time, Splatfest is all about summer fun. ROLLER COASTERS vs. WATER SLIDES: Which would you rather ride? 

The Splatfest will begin on Friday, July 17th at 9:00 PM PT and will end on July 18th at 9:00 PM PT. Thrill seekers rejoice!

EDIT 2: New Level coming

tumblr_nr582gzqn81u3akyno4_1280.jpg

The new stage Moray Towers will be joining the rotation tomorrow at 7 PM PT! That verticality though! Jump down through all the hairpin turns in a single go, and BOOM—you’re right on the front lines! You’ll have to make your way up a series of sloping paths to get into enemy territory. Look for spots to swim up walls to flank your foes and take them by surprise!

Edited by Sonictrainer

Well I'll be joining Team Water Slide. Wonder how this Splatfest will turn out since both roller coasters and water slides is fun.

EDIT: Fixed the mistake. Stupid auto-correct. -_-

• Thumbs Up 1

What is Splatfest and is it coming to all regions or just USA?

Splatfest is a event where two teams are formed based in what side they pick. They points are composed of popularity vote and battle wins. The battle wins point are doubled. The team with the most points is the winner.

Splatfest takes place in all regions but each region takes place at different times and has different themes for the teams.

Also at the end of Splatfest, depending on how well you did on battle and your team winning on a or both categories, you get Super Sea Snails. You can use this to upgrade your gear (ex: adding another slot to your 1 star gear) or reroll all your stats to something different.

What is Splatfest and is it coming to all regions or just USA?

Splatfest is special ingame event that changes the look and music of the Plaza and Online Levels for 24 hours, in specific regions.

Before the day that the Splatfest starts, an update will appear having Callie and Marie revealing the Splatfest. Then a poll and billboard will appear to the left of the Miiverse Mailbox, where players will have to choose a side (the last Splatfest in the US was Cats VS Dogs).

Once you pick a side, you will receive a special limited time t-shirt that your Inkling will have to wear during Splatfest to identify which team you're on. It also has its own ability and slots to unlock but you have to give it back once the Splatfest is over.

Before the Splatfest starts, you can also get creative and create Splatfest Miiverse posts.

The day before the Splatfest starts, 2 vans will appear in the Plaza.

Once the Splafest starts, the entire plaza will change to nighttime, Callie and Marie will be dancing and singing, all of the characters in the Plaza will start dancing, and all of the Splatfest Miiverse posts will appear as graffiti, posters, neon lights, fireworks, and other decorations all over the plaza. 

During Splatfest, players can only participate in Splatfest Battles. Splatfest Battles are a special version of Turf War, that has 3 levels available instead of just 2 and teams are based on the side that players picked. Also, Teams will always use the same color of ink for the entire Splatfest.

Along with your regular level, a Splatfest Rank will also appear. As you play, you will win Splatfest points to your Rank. For example, during the Cats VS Dogs Splatfest, players started out as Dog and Cat Fanboys/Fangirls and could raise to Fiend, Defender, Champion, and then finally Kings and Queens. While this may seem unimportant, I believe your Rank will affect how many Super Sea Snails you receive for participating in the Splatfest.

Once Splatfest ends and the developers tally up the wins and loses, a update will come out and tell whose side won the Splatfest.

Super Sea Snails are only received by doing Splatfest and you can give them to Spyke to add Slots to Gear that normally only have 1 or 2 slots or randomly change the abilities for Gear with 3 slots.

The only downside of Splatfest seems to be that the levels won't change for the entire 24 hours…unless they decide to change that in the future.

Here's footage of the last one:

• Thumbs Up 1

The new map is out by the way.

I also reached Level 10 and have started playing Splat Zones, which are really fun and intense.

My current loadout is Studio Headphones + Navy Stripped LS, + Squid-Stitch Plimsolls. 

I also have these ink weapons:

-Aerospray MG

-Splattershot

-Tentatek Splattershot

-Krak-On-Krak Roller

-Custom Splattershot Jr

-Kelp Splat Charger

-Splat Roller

I also reached Level 10 and have started playing Splat Zones, which are really fun and intense.

Just an FYI, the ranked matches gamemode switches every time the maps do, so check the ruleset name whenever that happens.

Oh, and there's also gonna be a CTF variant introduced relatively soon, though it involves taking the 'flag' to the enemy's base rather than yours, which should be pretty interesting.