Awoo.

Danger Mouse to return to TV screens

Detective Shadzter

17 June 2014 Last updated at 01:32

Danger Mouse to return to TV screens

_75571824_dbf5da13-1f7a-47fe-9071-ab644e

Danger Mouse originally ran from 1981 to 1992

Animated superhero Danger Mouse is to return to children's TV, more than two decades since the popular show ended.

The new series, featuring the fearless white rodent secret agent and his trusty sidekick Penfold, is due to be broadcast on CBBC in 2015.

The show originally ran from 1981 to 1992 and Danger Mouse was voiced by actor Sir David Jason.

CBBC controller Cheryl Taylor said the new show would "win over a whole new generation of fans".

Danger Mouse's producers and animators will be FremantleMedia along with Boulder Media.

Ms Taylor said: "Danger Mouse is the last word in debonair and delightfully eccentric heroics," adding, "CBBC is thrilled to be kick-starting their adventures afresh."

_70345539_jasondangermouse.jpg

David Jason, better known as Del Boy from Only Fools and Horses, originally voiced Danger Mouse

In the original show, each 10-minute episode saw Danger Mouse, who sported an eye patch and the letters DM on his chest, tackle a new mystery and enemy, such as the notorious Duckula.

Some of these characters will be returning for the new series along with new gadgets, locations, villains and vehicles.

Hapless hamster Penfold - who was originally voiced by comedian Terry Scott - will also return.

Danger Mouse's eye patch will be replaced by an "i-patch" with multiple technological functions and his headquarters too will be kitted out with "state-of-the-art wizardry", said Fremantle in a statement.

The voice actors for Danger Mouse and Penfold have not yet been announced.

Fremantle's Rick Glanker said: "The thrills, spills and comedy of this landmark international animated series are all still here but this rebooted version will be brought up-to-date for today's tech-savvy and content-hungry kids.

"In this new 21st-Century version the laughs are set to be even louder as the world's smallest secret agent faces mightier missions, voracious villains and knee-trembling threats."

Danger Mouse was also a big hit outside the UK, including the US, Australia, France, Poland, Germany and Sweden.

It also led to a long-running comic strip adaptation in children's magazine Look-In.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-27876300

I loved this show as a kid, so I really hope they don't mess up this new series. I'm already a bit weary of his eye patch being replaced with a new 'i-patch'. For now, we'll have to wait and see how this turns out.

• Thumbs Up 5

I haven't seen the original, but let's hope it ends up being a good revival (like The Looney Tunes Show, the newest one), and not a bad revival (like the newest Tom & Jerry show).

I'm cautiously optimistic. I was a massive fan of the original show as a kid (even if it was slightly before my time) and I remember watching them. I love the villains especially (Baron Greenback and the Spanish Crow were excellent!) 

I'm not too keen on the I-Patch or making it for "tech-savvy" children as he really was a timeless character.

Given his allusions to the spy genre, Bond prominently amongst them, DM getting a gadgety eye patch at least makes sense.

Time will tell if the other decisions made are as acceptable.

Hmm. I'm in the "cautiously optimistic" camp as well - Not too bothered by the "iPatch" thing, it sounds like the modern day equivalent of shoe phones tbh. As long as it doesn't look shit, has good writing and has voices faithful to the originals (I think it's likely we'll get different actors), I might not have many problems with it.

A friend of mine posted a link about this to me only on FB, so I'm estastic. My FB profile pic is actually even a pic of DM I drew a few years back.

Until it premieres, I can keep myself occupied with the entire original series that I have on DVD boxset.

P.S. - Total DM fan geek. Squee!!!

I remember watching this show years ago as a young lad myself. The show was so great with a fantastic cast of characters, basic plot lines for the kids to enjoy over and over, time to time. This will surely give the new generation of kids and adults a chance to watch what is called a masterpiece of a animation.

I approve of this and all within Danger Mouse

As a fan of the show I am delighted to see DM return to our screens, overall my childhood is coming back in the next 2 years, Sonic getting a film, The Lion King's new series and now DM returning, this is awesome. Please let David Jason play DM please!!!!!!!!!

I haven't seen the original, but let's hope it ends up being a good revival (like The Looney Tunes Show, the newest one), and not a bad revival (like the newest Tom & Jerry show).

Wait what?

Wait what?

Yes? I legitimately thought that was a great revival. It was really funny.

The strength in Dangermouse was always the writing, with abysmal animation and basic character design. So I think that's both an advantage and a disadvantage- even if this is badly animated Flash schlock, well, it's not like the original was animated any good either (although the photographic backgrouns had its charm); but it means, once more, it's all resting in the shoulders of the writers. Here's cautiously hoping the best.

Wow! This announcement surely came out of left field! I'm cautiously optimistic as well, but I'm skeptical of that "I-Patch" though. Do you have to modernize everything?

As a kid, I had a hard time getting into Danger Mouse, mostly because I could barely tell what was going on. The characters talked so much, and so fast that it just confused me. 

As an adult, I find it kind of annoying how they talk, and the animation is right abysmal. I enjoy Count Duckula more, all things considered. 

Hm, I'd rather they coloured the suit the traditional white, but it otherwise looks pretty great!

Hm, I'd rather they coloured the suit the traditional white, but it otherwise looks pretty great!

I think it is white; that's just the shadows. 

They don't look at different if you ask me, but I'm glad they still look a lot like their old selves. 

• 3 weeks later...

Whoa. I figured they'd just throw in a bunch of new female characters as either heroes or villains, but this has my interest in this cautiously peeked. As much as I love the original series, my number one pet peeve was the ridiculous lack of female characters throughout the course of the series. Yeah they had a few in Ms. Boathook, Fifi, Penfold's Annoying Aunt, and that one off big busted Princess from some Soviet-esque country - but half of them were only heard off screen or referenced to via characters' interaction. They also tended to be one-shots or a gag meant to annoy or insult a particular character (i.e. any time Fifi was brought up in conversation to DM, he'd quickly change the subject).

I figured they'd go the route of using Dr. Crumbhorn's sex-change formula for a quick fix/deux ex machina, but not a consistent, status quo change. Has me wondering who's getting the rule 63 treatment this time around.

• 1 year later...

Ironically, the fact it looks so rad is what's getting me wary. I may be misremembering, but I don't remember Dangermouse being a good action cartoon- what it was, was a great comedy with great writing that could've just as fine been a radio play.

Ironically, the fact it looks so rad is what's getting me wary. I may be misremembering, but I don't remember Dangermouse being a good action cartoon- what it was, was a great comedy with great writing that could've just as fine been a radio play.

I have faith in the comedy after the Star Wars quip and the 'BOG OFF!' sign (British slang for 'F*** OFF') in one of the scenes. Despite being CBBC, they're certainly going for subtle adult humour.

Is that so subtle when the 'Buy 2 for 1' deal is mostly known in the UK as a BOGOF deal?

I'm cautiously optimistic. I was a massive fan of the original show as a kid (even if it was slightly before my time) and I remember watching them. I love the villains especially (Baron Greenback and the Spanish Crow were excellent!) 

I'm not too keen on the I-Patch or making it for "tech-savvy" children as he really was a timeless character.

Actually, Stiletto was ITALIAN, always has been. The foreign market frowned upon the Italian sounding stereotypes. And for the foreign market, Danger Mouse IS gonna be on Netflix in America, next year.

I have faith in the comedy after the Star Wars quip and the 'BOG OFF!' sign (British slang for 'F*** OFF') in one of the scenes. Despite being CBBC, they're certainly going for subtle adult humour.

It's not a question of subtlety or adult humour (I don't recall the original being much on "subtle adult humour" either), it's more that the fact they're trying to sell me a Dangermouse cartoon through the action makes me doubt a few things.

Eh.

I remember watching Danger Mouse once or twice when I was a kid, but I wasn't really...into it that much. I dunno, I guess I just didn't understand the fast paced witty humour back then. XD;;

This remake on the other hand looks good and makes me more interested to see the show! I'm glad they kept the character designs almost identical to the original series and I have faith that the BBC can make this another great remake, especially after the Clangers.

Edited by Gabz Girl