Awoo.

Super Smash Brothers Tournament Discussion

VO.SUPER

The ending was a bit of a shame, but overall this EVO brought a lot of amazing moments to it, and really had one of the most diverse top 8s yet. And Prog; I'm gonna miss the man, he was one of the great Smash commentators; shame his days must come to an end.

Great final, shame for Hungry that he didn't make it to that second Set, but he must be extremely happy to have made it that far..

Almost poetically, the Top5 placements were the "Big 5" (and Axe!). Always awesome to see the well known Melee greats duking it out, and while the final wasn't as breathtaking as BlazBlue's (could anything be that breathtaking though?) Prog's farewell was the perfect send off to one of Melee's biggest events ever, which hopefully secured a future for Smash in the fighting game community. I can only hope Nintendo takes notes, and helps make Smash 4 into a game that could perhaps someday be vital to the FGC in its own way.

I'm so sad about Prog leaving, I've only been following the Smash scene for a short while, but he quickly became my favourite commentator, I just hope he doesn't leave the scene for good, hope to see him again someday.

• Thumbs Up 1

Great final, shame for Hungry that he didn't make it to that second Set, but he must be extremely happy to have made it that far..

Almost poetically, the Top5 placements were the "Big 5" (and Axe!). Always awesome to see the well known Melee greats duking it out, and while the final wasn't as breathtaking as BlazBlue's (could anything be that breathtaking though?) Prog's farewell was the perfect send off to one of Melee's biggest events ever, which hopefully secured a future for Smash in the fighting game community. I can only hope Nintendo takes notes, and helps make Smash 4 into a game that could perhaps someday be vital to the FGC in its own way.

I'm so sad about Prog leaving, I've only been following the Smash scene for a short while, but he quickly became my favourite commentator, I just hope he doesn't leave the scene for good, hope to see him again someday.

Considering Reggie showed up in a video before the finals to wish everyone good luck and, "no johns" I think they're paying attention deeply. 

• Thumbs Up 1

Dat Foxie Boost too stronk.

The character diversity was interesting this time around (Pikachu and Young Link wat). The matches were as intense as ever, even if Grand Finals seemed a bit one-sided. Tis a shame Prog's retiring, his commentary will be missed but the #Smash will go on!...

Dat Foxie Boost too stronk.

The character diversity was interesting this time around (Pikachu and Young Link wat). The matches were as intense as ever, even if Grand Finals seemed a bit one-sided. Tis a shame Prog's retiring, his commentary will be missed but the #Smash will go on!...

It must've paid off in some way, because EVO this year beat out last year by 3,000 more viewers. There's a definite rise in the scene here. 

I'm expecting a bit of a drop in Melee attention when Smash 4 comes out, but I'm sure Melee and Brawl will rise again once the hype for 4 has leveled. I expect 2015 to be a pretty sad year for Melee though. 2016 will be the return to normalcy. 

• 7 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Mew2King might retire from Melee and do Smash 4 full-time.

Mew2king is currently streaming on MVG_League and is telling the stream that he may end his career from melee completely and do smash 4 full time due to hand pains. For some context, he was playing a game with Tai and was up 4 stocks to 1, which then Tai came back and won. M2K is convinced it's because of his hand pain. He states that his issue that if he practices melee, his hands hurt and if he doesn't practice, he's bad.

rmisYHP.png

He said he doesn't know what to do.

So, thoughts if he does retire from Melee?

Full-scale trolling and flaming by ResidentSleepers on Twitch whenever Sm4sh is shown on stream, I'd wager. So basically, same as it's always been.

M2K's gotta put his health first before anything else. If he believes Melee is destroying his hands and he needs to stop, then so be it. 

UPDATE:

Stop saying see a doctor, i dont have such money to throw around like that. My finger even right now hurts a lot. I'm extremely worried about my future because doing melee will just ruin my hands faster. You guys seem to also think doctor is some simple answer miracle cure. Its my joints or tendons on the inside of my finger. It hurts to play melee, and doing nothing sometimes hurts me too. I'm extremely depressed and also scared. Stretching never helped me either.

I wouldn't really blame him at all, I mean melee is a really taxing game on your hands at a high level (I can only go about maybe 3 matches before my hands just won't react anymore) so if its really starting to get that bad for him he should probably just stop. Besides, while a lot of people do give it crap, smash 4 is pretty good competitively so if he's going to be playing that instead he'd be still having fun, just without killing his hands.

He's a competitive player and his livelihood depends on winning money from Smash tournaments, he has no time to have fun.

Having hand issues affects him quite a bit more than it would if you or I got hand issues, since then he loses out on his way of life.

It's a real catch 22. He has to risk the health of his hands by winning tournaments in order to make the money to get his hands healed.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...

time to bump this topic out of deadville

So yeah, news is Melee finally got a new tier list after two years!

w3TAYch.png

Yoshi rose six spots, now finally being a mid-tier character. Samus and Pikachu went higher, while the Marios and Ganon made small drops. Zelda is in F tier now (finally), Pichu is now one spot above Bowser, Marth is in third instead of Sheik and Link dropped from mid tier to low tier. Fox now has his own tier, like Meta Knight did in Brawl. Pretty pleased with this overall.

Edited by Felix