Awoo.

Super Smash Brothers Tournament Discussion

VO.SUPER

Holy fuck Armada's Peach game is unbelievable, several times he risked it and lay some heavy damage on zero in like a split second, Armada is unbelievable at edge guarding, just juggling fox in that last round.

• Thumbs Up 1

For a second; I was legimately thinking that Armada may lose that one. Of course, Armada still delivers with his stellar Peach performance, he could live longer than Zero could and had a good grasp of where to hit. I think more than anything, Armada was just thrown off by Zero himself than just Fox, because damn does he do well against Fox.

Good lord; Hungrybox is the most stressful player to root for. Jigglypuff is the kind of character that can be sent flying in less than two hits if your character can land it; and on small stages like Yoshi's island, there is little chance for DI to help you. But he controlled the air and took many chances to get Westballz out of the match. He is a master of control; there's a reason he managed to reach second place in EVO last year!

Next match Mew2King vs Remen.

It's a miracle that Zero had managed to live so long. He made a million mistakes with Hungrybox and let himself get rested so many times it was like we were watching some newbie fight a pro. It just goes to show you how different Smash 4 and Melee are. That defensive play doesn't work as effectively here as it does in that game. HB takes the lead.

Next match, Westballz vs Mango.

Zero's salt was too much, he didn't even accept Hungrybox's handshake at the end of the match haha.

• Thumbs Up 1

...... I ...... I.....

Mango lost 0-3. I'm stunned, and unsure how that happened. 

Next match... I forgot.

• Thumbs Up 1

Mango was put on the ropes by Westballz, holy shit did you see those combos? He wiped out Mango and juggled him like he was a novice at the game.

Well the game is up. Poor Amsa was not ready for a Peach match up and was destroyed by her. He has a lot of ironing up if he wants to keep proving Yoshi's worth. 

Anyways, day 1 singles are over. Next come the crew battle; east coast vs west coast and then the end of day 1 as a whole

Highlights were...

• Amsa is unbelievable with Yoshi, I've never seen him used like that, and that reverse egg throw hit was incredible
  • Westballz decimated Mango with some unholy Falco combos and juggled him like a bitch
  • Armada is unstoppable with Peach
  • Hax's fox game is strong but I think he's caving under the pressure of people wanting him to use Captain Falcon again.
  • Hungrybox is adorable and smug as fuck, he's competitive but still treats it like a game, he's so cool. Also dem Jiggly Rests? Jesus...
  • Zero got absolutely trounced and it made me laugh from how salty he got by denying Hungry's handshake at the end, what a dick.

All in all, very cool match up, nice to see a character that isn't Fox or Falco dominating!

• Thumbs Up 1

Day 2 of MLG is starting soon folks keep it on your tabs

http://tv.majorleaguegaming.com/channel/smash

Saturday Schedule - Smash at MLG Anaheim 2014
10:00AM PDT/ 1 AM EST - PPMD vs. SOFT
Followed by MEW2KING vs. HAX
Followed by REMEN vs. LEFFEN
Followed by WESTBALLZ vs. ARMADA
Followed by MANGO vs. HUNGRYBOX
Followed by AMSA vs. ZERO
Followed by MEW2KING vs. SOFT
Followed by PPMD vs. LEFFEN
Followed by HAX vs. REMEN
Followed by AMSA vs. HUNGRYBOX
Followed by WESTBALLZ vs. ZERO
Followed by MANGO vs. ARMADA
Followed by MANGO vs. HUNGRYBOX
Followed by POOL PLAY MATCH
2:00PM - Other games

Alright guys! I'm a little late, but let's get this party started! We're starting off with introductions of the players and a recap of yesterday's events. 

Soft simply could not escape from PPMD's chases, and couldn't dodge well enough to stay on the stage. Jigglypuff has that great aerial, and that oh so dangerous Rest, but if you can't land any of it, that doesn't matter. 

Next match Mew2King vs Hax

Man that fight was good. M2K really kept Hax on his toes with that Marth grab game, and that sword of his really helps for wracking up that juggle damage, but I give Hax some props for sticking around for so long. Though what the hell was with that last Fox fire? Did he think M2k was going to smack him upwards? 

Whatevers: Next match REMEN vs. LEFFEN

It was easy to see that Remen was not able to read Leffen very well and got in the way of a bunch of his hits, but damn if he didn't hold out by that end match to get some amazing early KO moves. 

Next Match Armada vs Westballz

THE HELL WAS THAT?! BULLSHIT! YOU'RE TELLING ME MANGO LOST TO THIS?!

Harumph. After that spectacle yesterday, Westballz was being juggled like a fool by Armada. His Peach turned each character he tried into a ball of putty, and it was just such a shame to see it go down like this. Armada though, is still amazing to watch as he just plays Peach almost effortlessly, dancing around like a true warrior and showing how to stay alive. 

(Good god, he even four stocked him.)

Next match MANGO vs. HUNGRYBOX

I'm personally rooting for Armada in this, being a huge Peach fan, I've never seen her used so well competitively so it's a treat to see her levelling the playing field gracefully.

Watching Hungrybox is so stressful, because at any second, he can be sent flying off the stage by a well timed uptilt by Fox. He lost the match, but damn does he know how to hold out through the struggle. I honestly though I would have a heart attack just watching him be thrown around like that. 

Next match AMSA vs. ZERO

Damn that set was close.  I thought aMSa had it but ZeRo definitely adapted well.

ZeRo adapted fantastically, I hope aMSa gets to play a lot more at this level of play because right now I think the only thing holding him back is experience and not being used to such high level players using top-tier characters.

Hax handled that last fight well. This whole match up has been really good today with the players all being refreshed compared to yesterday. 

Next fight: HAX vs. REMEN

Well from what I've read the players didn't get to have any friendlies or warm up at all beyond the hand-warmers at the start of each match. So it's no wonder most of them weren't really at their best.

I must give aMSa his credit, even if he lost. It is impressive that he managed to handle the whole thing so well. He is still a relatively new face in the Smash scene, and to go as far as MLG when there are thousands of Foxes and Falcos who could've beaten him in the preliminaries. I don't think he had a real huge plan developed when he finally got here to MLG, but I feel like if given another year, he could do something impressive with that Yoshi of his. He has potential, and I'd say you should keep your eye on him.

Next match WESTBALLZ vs. ZERO

• Thumbs Up 1

I heard the commentators talking earlier about it being one of the players' "last summer" at tournaments or something? It was while aMSa was playing, I missed the full context but it made me worry that aMSa was gonna be retiring on some level after this.

I'm officially a fan of his now so I really hope that isn't the case 8(