Awoo.

I enjoy reading conversations about games more than I do playing them.

Cortez

Nah, following the industry became more interesting than playing the games themselves a long time ago for me. As my depression has gotten better though I've started getting into actually playing games again though.

I'm actually the same a lot nowadays but I'm not really happy about it? I'm just kinda unmotivated to play games, I think because my real life is so uneventful they're too mundane for me at the moment. Talking about them is exciting because I get to practise my writing which is the most productive hobby I have.. haha.

So yeah the last few years I enjoy reading and talking about games more than I enjoy playing with them, but I hope I can change that.

• Thumbs Up 1

I'm off and on and it really depends on the game.

I could talk about Ace Attorney till the cows come home but not bother playing them more than once every 6 years.

On the other hand, talking about P3 is a snorefest and yet it took over my life for about 3 months.

nowadays I just have no interest in blowing a load of money on something I might not even be that bothered about.

gaben.jpg

The timing of this post. Do we have a confirmation yet, by the way? Anybody? June 19th-June 30th, right?

Other than the next Mario, Pokemon or Zelda I probably won't even consider buying any of the games we all spend hours talking about and dissecting unless they really draw me in somehow (dat Mirror's Edge) but I just love reading the conversations we all have about them.

Generally speaking, I don't buy games at all these days if they come anywhere near the $60 price mark. This of course means that I primarily play indie titles, though I love every second of it; I think Smash Bros for 3DS might end up being the only exception for the foreseeable future for me.

I've been that way for awhile.  I think I've always liked video games for the social aspects of it.  Sitting around, eating candy or Doritos and talking about the game with friends as I played them.  Once I had to cut back a good deal of my friends from my life, video games just became infinitely less enjoyable for me.  The only games that get me excited on their own anymore are Sonic, Pokémon, Mega Man, Mario (if it's a single player game) and a few Nintendo titles that come and go.  I can find some decent enjoyment out of games that are cutesy and more my pace, but once I'm finished, I just don't have the drive anymore.

Discussing the games on forums can help, but when I see how little I have in common with most of the more hardcore gamers here, I can't help but feel a little lonely.  Even among my own circle of friends, when I hear them all talking about Dark Souls and Watch_Dogs and Arkham Asylum and I'm like "So uh... Sonic Generations..." it's the most cumbersome and disappointing thing.

• Thumbs Up 1

I've found myself drifting into the polar opposite camp lately.  The reason I've become such a spoiler nazi over the last few years is the more and more games I've done it on, the more I've been enjoying the games I play in a pure, unbiased state.  I have no expectations, everything surprises me, my opinions are completely my own and it's like being a kid again, discovering these games as the developers intended.  I even avoid trailers these days really, as I doubt anyone involved in game making will be designing their game thinking "okay let's do this bit like this, as we can assume the player will already know what's about to happen next in this scene because we'll tease it in the trailer".

Discussing games I've played in retrospect though is important to me, and I love shows like Extra Credits that explore what games on the whole are doing and can do.  I just avoid this kind of discussion in advance when it comes to games I think I'll want to play.

• Thumbs Up 2

I've found myself drifting into the polar opposite camp lately.  The reason I've become such a spoiler nazi over the last few years is the more and more games I've done it on, the more I've been enjoying the games I play in a pure, unbiased state.  I have no expectations, everything surprises me, my opinions are completely my own and it's like being a kid again, discovering these games as the developers intended.  I even avoid trailers these days really, as I doubt anyone involved in game making will be designing their game thinking "okay let's do this bit like this, as we can assume the player will already know what's about to happen next in this scene because we'll tease it in the trailer".

Discussing games I've played in retrospect though is important to me, and I love shows like Extra Credits that explore what games on the whole are doing and can do.  I just avoid this kind of discussion in advance when it comes to games I think I'll want to play.

Actually, that might be another thing that deters my enjoyment of a game.  I literally like to go into games blind, not knowing what's ahead or even minor details about a game.  That's how I first played the original Pokémon games as well as Super Smash Bros. Melee, and being able to do that with Gen V Pokémon was one of the most refreshing experiences in recent years.  But the internet has essentially made that impossible for me.  It's like I now have all the fun of playing the game without actually, you know, playing the game.

I kind of have no choice on cutting down my gaming because being a broke college student with no job really blows :V

I'm too poor to game usually. Or just too busy doing school shit. Or whatever.

I watched all this E3 stuff the past week, I was just like "OH MY GOD SO COOL" a million times, but there's maybe 3 games in the whole mess I'll actually end up buying, and even then it probably won't be for quite a while because at the moment I simply don't play games enough to warrant dropping huge bundles of money on any current gen systems.

So yeah, I feel ya.

Being someone who also spends more time reading internet discussions than anything else, it's probably a symptom of being a boring-ass person who needs to do things more. 

I do this all the time. Hell, I read forum discussion threads about like everything because bordem. There's probably several fandoms I've picked up enough knowledge to be in through reading discussion without even seeing/playing the thing. You're not the only one. 

I would say I could sympathize with this, but that's mostly because I'm flat broke so idk

This is why the Wii U is perfect for me

I go through times when im just not interested in playing games and only come back after a few months.

Guess what the Wii U's rate of releasing games is! I just bought Mario Kart 8 in June, what was the last game I played extensively? Donkey Kong in February! Shit's perfect.

• Thumbs Up 7

I go through times when im just not interested in playing games and only come back after a few months.

Guess what the Wii U's rate of releasing games is! I just bought Mario Kart 8 in June, what was the last game I played extensively? Donkey Kong in February! Shit's perfect.

I think I smell a new advertising campaign!

• Thumbs Up 8

I think I smell a new advertising campaign!

Dont count on it taking off, this ONLY works for me. I can't imagine it being anything but terrible for anyone else because im just weird like that.

On a related note, I look forward to my next purchase with Smash 4 in December or early 2015!

I honestly think I buy too many games at this point considering how little I play them. I really want to cut down, but it's just so EASY for me to get a game either used of through sales nowadays. Not to mention a lot of my friends buy games even more often than I do. 

Just discussing the ones I like requires far less dedication than cutting out hours to get through a game tbh.

• Thumbs Up 1

Uh....

What kind of rationalizing is this? It's like saying that you only got half a candy bar, but atleast it's not enough for you to get full on! Little weird I think. Wouldn't you rather get a whole candy bar and save the other half for when you want some more? Personally, I would prefer more Wii U games for me to pick from than less. Don't have to buy them all.

To Professor J, could it be that your interest has shifted somewhere else for the moment? Exact thing happened to me when I became more interested in movies/animation than video games. I would talk about the latest Sonic/Zelda, but I wouldn't want to actually go play them. I came back to games eventually though. You could also be experiencing burnout, where you do something so much in such a short period of time that doing the same activity would seem horrid and a waste of time. Happened to me to, came back to games a few months later and I was hooked. Not to mention I already had the new Zelda I bought out of obligation.

Or it could just be your personality changing. Just go with the flow.

Uh....

What kind of rationalizing is this? It's like saying that you only got half a candy bar, but atleast it's not enough for you to get full on! Little weird I think. Wouldn't you rather get a whole candy bar and save the other half for when you want some more? Personally, I would prefer more Wii U games for me to pick from than less. Don't have to buy them all.

Im pretty much joking dude. I rarely have the time or money to buy games on a monthly basis so whenever a Wii U comes out with a game im able to get it around release. Of course it's not a good thing, im just trying to say how the situation is good for me in some weird way.

• Thumbs Up 2

Im pretty much joking dude. I rarely have the time or money to buy games on a monthly basis so whenever a Wii U comes out with a game im able to get it around release. Of course it's not a good thing, im just trying to say how the situation is good for me in some weird way.

Well I don't know Soniman, some Wii U loyalists (or any type of console fanboy) seem very keen on making software droughts seem like positive things driving the system. Might as well get that out there just in case.

Plus, if anything that's worse for me due to the fact that less software = less sales most of the time. Especially Nintendo 1st party

oh god let's please not get into wii u sales here

there's literally a topic for that

• Thumbs Up 1

oh god let's please not get into wii u sales here

there's literally a topic for that

Well I meant sales as in discounts, but ok man.

Donkey Kong still costs like 3 Wonderful 101s

Well I meant sales as in discounts, but ok man.

Donkey Kong still costs like 3 Wonderful 101s

Sorry, alarm bells went off.

This is so true.

I have like 5 Wii U games on my backlog still! >.<