Awoo.

I can't be bothered to care about Sonic anymore.

Cortez

Yeah I'm starting to lose interest in Sonic as well...the last Sonic game which I REALLY enjoyed was Sonic Unleashed really. I know a lot of people will disagree with me but oh well.

Generations was pretty good but had SO MANY missed opportunities. Luckily the PC version is brimming with great mods but that's besides the point. I don't really get excited for Sonic games anymore. They release, I buy them eventually because I'm a shameless Sonic whore, play them, and play better games afterwards...shame really. After Sonic Lost World and the upcoming Sonic Boom (Wii U version mainly), my interest in Sonic has dwindled even more, and I ain't pinning all my hopes in Sonic Team's next game either.

I dunno. I guess Sonic is just cursed at the moment. There are just too many games out there worth my money nowadays and unless they finally make something really special with Sonic, I'm kinda done buying his games at launch.

• Thumbs Up 2

As passionate as I am about this franchise, I can't deny that I tend to go through the odd phrase where I find it hard to care about it and which make me actively question my fandom. It keeps attracting me back to it though and I don't want to lose my fandom. I want to like things in the series. I want to like Sonic Boom. Well, I like the look of the show but the game does nothing for me. I wanted to like Archie. I wanted to like X-Treme, Chronicles, '06. Damn was I hyped for '06 back then but all of the copious shittiness of all four of those things effectively prevented me from loving them.

I suppose the disappointments of Sonic things over the last few years set my expectations low because they no longer have things that provide a lasting appeal to me. They feel half-baked. And as a result I've often been left not completely satisfied with what's been presented to me and fill me with a yearning for more that's never satiated.

It's sad to me, as such an ardent fan of this series who has been as such for over 20 years.

• Thumbs Up 5

^ I was really hoping you'd reply

I think I feel the same way as you, poured my heart into every aspect of this franchise, turning to non-game media to get my kicks over the years but nothing does it anymore. I'm just not satisfied like you said. I think I've maybe developed this idea of what Sonic should be like in my head and nothing fulfils that anymore, I'm just left with fanwanking and what could have been :/ ...

• Thumbs Up 1

I can definitely sympathize. My unironic interest in Sonic, at this point, is basically hanging by a thread, waiting to be cut at any moment (probably the next main series game), and I spend more time criticizing it and groaning at its failures than I do celebrating it. I just get so little out of it that's positive anymore. Anything I've liked about it has either been stripped away entirely or embarrassingly mishandled. When I do find some tiny piece to hold onto (I actually liked SLoW's story, overall), it feels like I'm the only one who does, and I can't expect it to last if that's the case.

I still want Sonic to be good. I still think there can be good from the series. But I'm well aware that things aren't going to go back to how they used to be (both the series and myself), and I don't really have any faith left in it anymore. It's come to the point where I almost want that last thread to be cut.

• Thumbs Up 3

I jumped ship in late 2011

Sorry, each Sonic game since Colors has been a structural caricature of the last

And I happen to hate that gameplay style

Holy shit Generations held awful memories, my ex basically ruined the series for me along with the games themselves.

Oh well I've had some pretty amazing memories with the pre-Colors games and it'll always be a part of my childhood

I'll still play Sonic Adventure and its sequel from time to time

Peace out, Sonic

• Thumbs Up 1

To be honest: yeah, I can totally sympathize, and I'm starting to lose interest as well, albeit for different reasons.

I got into the series around the time Generations came out, and chronologically, that's about as far as it will probably go for a while. I don't plan on purchasing a Wii U for various reasons, so obviously I missed out on Lost World (not to broken up over lack of a Sonic Boom purchase though). I have no clue when I'm going to pick up a PS4/Xbox One, so that I'll be again missing out on what Sonic Team shells out, for better or worse.

Basically I'm restricted to 3DS entries for the foreseeable future, and you can probably guess what kind of feeling this leaves me with. Being stuck with titles such as

61-dmTeI8xL._SX300_.jpg

this..... and Sonic Boom: Shattered Crystal, which isn't looking impressive or inspired in the slightest. I'm getting fed up with missing out on the real deal and shafted to mediocrity. Playing past titles can be still be fun, and I still love the series for them, I usually only play a few stages of a particular Sonic game before growing bored and shutting it off.

It's quite sad too, as Sonic Boom pessimism aside, I've been seen as one of the biggest optimists over several aspects of the series most of the time. But feeling like being kept in the dark for 3 years, and not being thrilled with the direction Sonic is going in as a whole, I just find it hard to become enthusiastic over anything new happening. 

I know I've stated none of that will taint my love for the series... but I just don't care anymore. :(

you guys all suck for not having the same opinion as me

In all seriousness, there are brief intervals in my life where Sonic isn't the most important game series to me, but it usually only lasts for a few weeks. Whenever I see Sonic in anything, really, I feel happy. Seeing Shadow pop out of an Assist Trophy in SSB4, for example. It just brings a smile to my face. I think these intervals happen shortly after I've beaten the latest Sonic game. I don't feel Sonic-y anymore, and I instead think of all the other games that interest me. But once the new Sonic game is announced, I get hyped. That old childhood feeling I got when I first played a Sonic game comes rushing back to me.

TL;DR, yes, occasionally, I don't care about Sonic, but that is very, very rarely.

• Thumbs Up 3

I'm going to go out on a limb here and say that I hardly even care about this particular genre anymore, let alone this series alone. Platformers and cartoony games have been slipping down my priority list for about two years now. I look for different things than I did back when I was an avid fan of the series.

• Thumbs Up 4

I'm going to go out on a limb here and say that I hardly even care about this particular genre anymore, let alone this series alone. Platformers and cartoony games have been slipping down my priority list for about two years now. I look for different things than I did back when I was an avid fan of the series.

This too, I'll play platformers occasionally now and then because of some old love, but for the most part, my heart belongs to fighting games now. And Pokemon...and some JRPG's...and Dark Souls.

I haven't been particularly into Sonic for years now. I still love the Genesis/SCD platformers, and have a liking for the Rush games and Colors/Gens, but other than that I don't have a big interest in the series other than hoping that Sonic Team's next time at bat will turn out more like Gens than Colors. 

I still love the buttrock the other 3D games produced though. 

• Thumbs Up 1

Man, here I thought I was the distanced fan of the group, but I've apparently had it backwards all along. Dag.

I've always intentionally kept my distance from Sonic, mostly out of concern with the roller-coaster ride the series takes its fans on, but I've never quite lost interest or faith in the little blue blur. At the end of the day, while I can only really say I'm a fan of, say, half the games in the series, the franchise at large is just such a fascinating one to discuss. There have been some astounding highs and terrible lows, great comebacks and pitiful missteps, and it's all these things I enjoy talking about. It's fun to talk about the great stuff, of course, but there's something to be said about learning from others' mistakes. It may sound like a cynical or clinical way to view a beloved franchise, but at the end of the day I'm still cheering him on with the rest. The distance is what lets me enjoy all this, in a way.

• Thumbs Up 7

It's been very...up and down for me, especially since the Boom announcement.

It's weird. I remember how excited I used to get just to see Sonic appear in anything when I was a really young kid, and it feels like a whole other world, almost. It's not for my lack of enjoying the new games, either. I like Unleashed, Colors, Lost World and especially Generations. I'd still consider myself a big fan of the series, it's just that I'm not as emotionally invested as I used to be. And I'm sure a big part of that is that I've played better games, much as I hate to say that. Even when I was younger, I didn't understand why I still preferred discussing Sonic over pretty much any other series I played. It's just sort of a part of my life, I guess, for better or worse. It just makes me sad that I can't seem to find that emotional investment I had when I was younger, and a lot of that is...probably on the part of the writing, honestly. :V Colors was the last time I really felt anything for the characters, and that was coming off the heels of a lot of games where I didn't (though I do appreciate Black Knight a lot more in hindsight). I still love the series' universe, characters, and stuff in theory, but it feels so rare that I see it done much justice. And I guess that's why I'm so interested in Boom - it's the series' chance to grab me in that way again, and for all of its apparent flaws, the writing and characterization and stuff seems really promising to me.

I don't know if I'll ever be as fanatical for the series as I was way back when, but at the same time, Sonic is more than "just another series I play" to me. Maybe it is just my commitment to it. I mean, hey, Sonic Adventure was the first game I ever played and I haven't let it go since then. Every time a new Sonic game is on its way, I know I'm going to play it. I'd love it if I were able to adore it the way I did when I was, like, four and five years old, and in a way I almost envy the people here who still maintain such a passion for it even through all the highs and lows. But ultimately I do really like the series and I don't like to paint it in broad strokes. The way I see it, there are some good games here, some bad games there, and a handful that are just sort of "okay", but I can still enjoy them because of nostalgia or whatever. Sonic will never be a straight-up "bad" franchise to me - just one with an unfortunate number of bad games. I can't see myself quitting anytime soon.

• Thumbs Up 1

I've felt this way about Sonic for about 3 and a half years now. The last Sonic game I bought was Sonic Generations and I really didn't like it all that much. Sonic as a series has had so many ups and downs that I just don't feel comfortable plopping down money for it anymore when there are much better games out there, that I feel deserve my money more. Even then, as time has gone by, my gaming lifestyle is slowly starting to diminish, I just don't have as much time for it anymore.

Edit: in 2003-probably 2008 or 9 I was really into the franchise, and I used to chat on this board a lot more. I really have only stuck around here because I still like discussing other things here with people cause you guys are... "cool" I guess?

The Sonic series as a whole doesn't interest me anymore.  But certain elements do.

From a design standpoint, I love Sonic.  He's incredibly simple to create, but all the lines, curves, and color choices come together to create something that's undeniably "cool" and because of such he's a major subject in most of my notebook doodles.  Many areas from the series are also fun to draw from all sorts of angles.

However, when we talk about gameplay of the series... it doesn't interest me all that much.  There are very few games of his that I'd call a quality experience.  Sonic Colors and Generations are probably the only two games of recent-ish times that gave a solid gameplay experience through and through (on that note, I love Generations' menu designs... probably the best looking menus mainline Sonic has had since forever).  I enjoy Lost World mostly, but it's obvious that it's very experimental and rough around the edges.  A solid experience is what I come to expect from good video games and seeing Sonic under-perform in that area constantly really bums me out.

I was hoping Sonic Boom would sort of respark my interest in the series, giving me what I love already and what I want to love and just give me a whole new way to look at Sonic.  So far my hopes and dreams have been crushed into dust... it's a whole new way to look at Sonic, but instead of being good all around, it looks like garbage all around (please let me be wrong).

I think it's cruel that a character with such a great design doesn't get the great games he should have... liking Sonic really sucks sometimes.

I'm too attached to this community to get up and leave though.  Love all of you.

I had a dog once, it was the most energetic and fun dog I ever had. It was my best friend.

But one day, my dog got ran over by a car and we had to amputate one of his legs and sew the right eyesocket shut.

It hurt, but I still loved that dog no matter his imperfections.

But then as the dog started to get older, he started to develop tumors on his brain and vomit everywhere, and he wasn't as fun to be around anymore, but I kept him anyways because I was too attached to the fucker.

Eventually, so many tumors developed on his brain and he was declared officially brain dead, but I've kept him on life support to this very day hoping in vain that he'd open his eyes and fight those tumors off. I was hoping for god to perform a miracle.

That dog's name was Sonic. And he's not actually a dog, he's a hedgehog. 

• Thumbs Up 2

I will never lose interest in Sonic. Ever. Whenever I see anything to do with Sonic, I feel slight happiness and awe and whatever positive emotions may come about. 

I just can't lose interest in Sonic at all. Sure, occasionally most of my attention will be focused on another franchise I like, like DC or Marvel or Kingdom Hearts, but Sonic is still a constant presence in my mind. I always come back to drawing something Sonic related, there are always the same 3 sets of Sonic-related forums always open on separate tabs on my computer, and I will always make connections between things and the Sonic Franchise. 

Also, I think Sonic is one of the only things preventing me from falling into a suicidal unhealthy state of dark depression and emo behavior.

• Thumbs Up 1

I feel you.

Of course, I'm one of those types who enjoy a game usually more for a nice story than gameplay. That being that gameplay can really bore me after a while -- I get used to it, novelty wear off and story is what keeps me playing. So, I can be happy with almost any style of Sonic game, except for a few things that irk here and there.

Colors and Generations, I thought, "Hey, the story sucked utter shit but people like the gameplay. Maybe they'll work on THAT now!" but no... no. They decided to change it up again. Story had good points and it was a lot of the same, tired problems.

They keep changing the style, all the time, changing the way it plays, changing its music type, and changing what kind of story it wants to be.

I can't seem to rely on this franchise worth a crap. I can't expect good characterization, gameplay, or anything. Hell, I can't even rely on it being about speed anymore.

At this point, I get more enjoyment watching to see if "They get it right THIS time" than I do anticipating a game. It's like the real game is Sonic Team trying different things to see if it works.

Oh man, I was just here for a read . . didn't think I'd end up posting.

Long story short .. The games have taken a dive (last game I enjoyed was Episode 1), the comic series which I've followed for 20+ years has started over and Boom is opening the door for a whole new group of fans that'll just contest everything original fans have to say..

There isn't a whole lot going for me..

Yet for some reason I continue to get excited over new games, toys, anything Sonic related that I can buy and stick on a shelf.. I cheered on players who chose Sonic during Smash Fest, I look forward to hearing about SEGA events where they promote Sonic.. I have "Sonic hedgehog" saved as an eBay search..

I guess I'm more of a fan of the image Sonic has given himself rather than a fan of the games?

I consider myself a pretty loyal Sonic fan. As long as Sonic is alive, I'll pay attention to him and I'll always hope that his next game is a good one. But I'm also not a blind fanboy either. If Sonic is bad, he's bad and I'll definitely say it. I don't want to see Sonic die, I want him to be one of the greats. But that requires good games. Sonic Boom to me isn't looking too good. I've watched E3 coverage of the game and I keep hearing about the bad frame rate, glitches, and slow pace. People say it'll be better when it's finally released, but I doubt it. My main problems with the game come from the core gameplay which I doubt they'll change. I don't have much hope at all for Boom and I can't say I'm interested in the slightest. I'm personally waiting for the next core Sonic game from the modern Sonic universe. Part of me hopes that Boom will fail so SEGA realizes Boom was a terrible idea. But another part of me fears that if Boom fails, then SEGA might just give up on Sonic, thinking that "If a whole new universe wasn't enough to save Sonic, nothing can."