Awoo.

Sonic Boom Wii U vs. 3DS! Which do you Prefer?

ishmael205

We got a little taste of the 3DS version of Sonic Boom for the first time, but can it keep up with the Wii U version? Maybe even the other way around. What do all of you guys think about it?

Still, quite too early for me to say. Going off of what's been shown altough, I'd say that the Wii U version is looking more interesting, with the dialogue, gameplay and whatnot.

It's too early to pick a winner altough for now I'd say Boom 3DS looks better. The Wii U counterpart looks ok I guess, but it's still early days and the Rise Of Lyric's storyline, gameplay and interactions between the main four heroes seem really good.

Going off of what we've been given so far in terms of footage and details via interviews and press releases, I think I may prefer the 3DS version a bit more since it's structured closer to a retro experience than the Wii U counterpart. They both seem to be offering different experiences altogether, so strangely enough, it's kind of hard to compare the two - even less in common than the differences the DS and Wii versions of Sonic Colors had with each other. 

Rise of Lyric looks to be much more story driven and open-world adventuring, and Shattered Crystal has a Metroid-vania-Sonic (as bizarre of a combination it is) focus. I'd approach RoL as an immersive experience and SC as a deliberate "game," if that makes sense.

But really, I need to get my hands on both to make the final call.

From what we've seen so far, I get the feeling I'll prefer the presentation and story elements of the Wii U one, but prefer the gameplay and music of the 3DS one.

Yet at the same time I'll be peeved that I can play as Amy in the lesser one and not in the one I prefer.  I feel this whole experience is going to be a big ole unpredictable bag of oddly shaped potatoes.

From what we've seen so far, I get the feeling I'll prefer the presentation and story elements of the Wii U one, but prefer the gameplay and music of the 3DS one.

Oh schnapps

That's right, Richard Jacques is working on that one.

Richard mother trudging Jacques.

That's definitely an extra 500 points for me on that version, and given his track-record (geddit? like a music track? HAWWW) I'm willing to bet that the music will be catchy and memorable, just like most retro music tracks, supporting the "retro gaming" argument I've made for it... and it widens the divide between the adventure-explorative-ambience emphasis on RoL and the traditional retro gaming emphasis on SC.

Bangarang Bangin'.

• Thumbs Up 1

Both look quite uninteresting in my opinion.

Buuuut the 3DS version has Jacques so it wins by default.

...ok that and it looks more like a sonic game, if a relatively shoddy one. Wii U looks too slow which is the last thing Sonic needed after Lost World (a game that I liked, but I can admit felt slow), and the combat looks incredibly repetitive - from what I've seen it's basically "Mash Y" with some of that silly enerbeam. And the speed stages make the boost gameplay look like fully involved non-automated experiences. 

So yeah 3DS for me. I don't give a rats arse about Amy playable since I hate her character anyway but that's just me. Sticks looks cool to plays as.

The thing that makes me sad is I far prefer 3D gameplay to 2D gameplay.  Essentially both games for me are either doing what I want in the wrong way or something I don't want in the right way and I get the feeling it's going to be a frustrating experience to play both even if they're enjoyable - if that makes sense.  Like everything I enjoy will make me go "ugh but if this had just been slightly more like this it would've been perfect".

Exception being the 3DS soundtrack.  That is absoloutely what I was hoping for out of Boom's soundtrack - stylishly Sonic as ever but distinctly fresh in flavour compared to past games.

• Thumbs Up 1

Not going to put this lightly: the Wii U version looks very dull and clunky and I almost certainly will not be buying it unless Big Red Button has something hugely surprising up their sleeve; however, I don't think this will happen. Werehog comparisons aren't out of the question: bad pacing, lack of flowing and creative combat, both slow and rather crap-looking controls and very, very dull level design.

The 3DS version looks passable. I don't think I'll have a blast with it but because it looks quite simple and actually Sonic-y in design I think more enjoyment will be gained from that version.

Therefore I'm siding (but somewhat reluctantly) with the 3DS and I doubt much will change that unless as stated something big happens. I hope I'm wrong but from what I've seen I don't think the Wii U version will be worth it for me at all.

I'm a lot more impressed with Rise of lyric than I am with Shattered Crystal. It's not even just the (fantastic) writing that makes me say that, the gameplay is also wowing me more. Shattered Crystal, while looking like a somewhat different experience, still looks mostly like a regular Sonic game to me, while Rise of Lyric really does look like a different game.

It may not really be breaking any new ground as far as video games in general go (I can even understand why some people would think the game looks generic), but as a Sonic game, it's really taking risks, and I appreciate that. When Sonic Boom was announced, I was hoping for a completely different experience, and RoL's not afraid to be one, while still keeping just enough Sonic elements to justify putting Sonic's name on the case (for me anyway; some may disagree, and that's fine). Shattered Crystal, on the other hand, looks as though it could have been a mainline game, and while I'm sure I'll still have fun with it (if I can just get a 3DS), I just don't feel as though I'd really be missing out on anything (except playable Sticks).

Those are just my opinions, though. A lot of people are more excited for SC because it looks like a more traditional (or just more fun) Sonic game, and I can see why. I just don't feel the same way.

• Thumbs Up 1

For me, I have to say I prefer the 3DS version of Boom over the Wii U one :(.

I mean, its more then okay to do something new and different with Sonic....but at the very least TRY to keep some of what the series is known for :l; Boom Wii U looks far slower then any other Sonic, the visuals (while defently better then the B-Roll footage we saw) still look a bit drab, and while the dialog is nice it does get grating quite fast ("Rings NOM NOM NOM"....."There are things inside these things!"....."Cowabunga!"....just, really?). I still have hope for the Wii U version (it IS being made by people known for making great platformers), I have to say it isn't really impressing me as much a I expected to :(.

The 3DS version how ever, was a really nice surprise to me :D. Firstly, the game LOOKS and SOUNDS like a Sonic game; a composer who worked on Racing Transformed, Sonic R and Sonic 3D Blast is on board (and it sounds great to me :D) and the visuals are bright, detailed and colorful (just like most Sonic games :)). Secondly, the game is mixing, not completely changing, MIXING gameplay that we all know and love (old-school 2D Sonic) with semi-open levels with tons of different paths. That alone is something that sounds great in my book, doing something brand new but at the same time not completely different. Thirdly, the 3DS version looks FAST, as the adventure stages not only have Sonic and Company running around but the two other gameplay styles (the Sonic Rivals-esc verses stages and the Sonic 2 Special Stage-esc tube levels) that are focused on Sonic either racing against another player or just going fast :D.

Lastly, the 3DS version is being made by Sanzaru, and they KNOW how to make great platformers (the recent Sly 4 was great and their experience with handheld devices via there work on Sly 4 Vita, Sly Collection Vita and God of War Collection Vita show they know how to push handhelds :)), so I know this version will be a great game; BRB while composed of tons of talent, never made a game on their own before yet, so I am more wary of them then Sanzaru.

Either way both games look promising, its just that for me, the 3DS version looks to have the most potential to be a great game :).

• Thumbs Up 2

The graphics, gameplay, and music of Shattered Crystal interest me more than Rise of Lyric.Story-wise however, Rise of Lyric has more going for it and Shattered Crystal seems to be more of a excuse plot retro fair. I'll probably pick up RoL first because I have a WiiU, but no 3DS.

Well since I like playing actual sonic games shattered crystals the obvious choice.

The adventurers spindash has a nice story going for it however a two minute cutscene isnt going to make me give a shit about 15 minutes of shitty gameplay.

Also Shattered crystal hasnt shown us its story yet so for all I know its better.

Since I can't play either one, and tend to care more about story than gameplay (unless the gameplay is absolutely dreadful or severely tedious), Rise of Lyric.

But, you know, until I see the story all the way through, doesn't mean I like it, yet.

I'm not very thrilled over either versions of the game, if that wasn't incredibly obvious enough by now. I do plan on picking up Shattered Crystal once it hits, though.

The game looks relatively uninspired from the footage I've seen, but then again, that's just one stage. The more I think about it, I'm technically getting what I've been asking for (Traditional styled Sonic game, alternate characters with a shared play style).

I would also be flat out lying if I stated the Metroidvania influence didn't intrigue me. How the hell is that going to play out, I wonder?

I think they are both about equal at this point. The Wii U version has grown on me a lot.

I like the WiiU version a lot more. Not just for the story either. Based on gameplay alone, I'm liking Rise of Lyric more. Not only does be a new experience from normal Sonic the gameplay overall looks more appealing to me. Since I've never played any of the PS2 platformer type games... Well from the BRB (old team) squad anyways (the only one I played was Stuart Little...) So yeah, I like the spindashes return and it's not just a boost sham spindash. Combat looks fun if you're someone like me who can get into making cool moves out of what they provide and platforming from. what. we've. seen. so. far. looks better. In Shattered Crystal it tries to cater to the old series and by doing this clings itself to standards held by those games. And it really bothers me how it's not different.. That was the purpose of this project right? I just feel off put by the 3DS version because it sticks to retro 2D type Sonic stuff but then doesn't do it appealingly- in my opinion. Of course more footage could change my mind.

(I always get distracted when I post- ugh)  

BTW: I don't mean in any way that Shattered Crystal is bad, just less fun looking to me. It has a good premise and looks okay, but I'm still sold on the WiiU.

• Thumbs Up 1

Being someone who grew up on 3D Sonic games compared 2D ones, I'm much more excited for the Rise of Lyric. Not to say Shattered Crystals look bad (Though I was quite annoyed that Amy isn't going to be playable in that one as she is my favorite character) I just find the gameplay style of Wii U game to be more interesting. Really looking forward to playing that game coop with my friends.

• Thumbs Up 2

I really like the character interactions and graphics of Rise of Lyric, but Shattered Crystal seems to have a great music composer looking at the other comments here. ALSO METAL SONIC. And Sticks is playable.

I don't have a Wii U, but I'll probably be able to find some let's plays on RoL. And that's fine with me, since I don't see myself getting a Wii U anytime soon. As for SC, I do have a 3DS and then there's those reasons mentioned above, so I'll definitely be getting that. I already have more than enough in my allowance for a 3DS game.

I'll wait until the games actually come out to decide which one I like better, though. I got the DS version of Colors, but I prefer the Wii version. (Which I've actually played some of at a friend's house.)

I'm liking Lyric more at the moment. Like I might still check out Shattered when it comes out, but from what I saw it looks kinda... clunky? Blocky, like someone put it a while back. I do like Sticks, though. I also am a big fan of more platform based gaming, which seems to be something more emphasized in Lyric. The character interactions are really entertaining, too! (Although some of the one liners could stand to be toned down just a tiny bit.) 

I like Shattered Crystal for being a neat little Metroidvania (focused obviously more on gameplay), and Rise of Lyric is looking like more of a game I'd play for it's atmosphere, story, characters, etc. 

Neither version looks definitively better, but I think I'll remember the Wii U game better because of the story and character interactions, unless the 3DS version has it's own set of cutscenes with voice acting and such (which I totally wouldn't put past them, but you know).

Going to be biased, but also completely honest here: The inclusion of Sticks makes me want these games, far, far less. Sanic doesn't need anymore new friends. Sorry.

Flame shield on for that one. I know some people are going to vehemently disagree with me.  Yes, I know that it isn't reasonable to shaft an entire game based upon the inclusion of one character. Her existence doesn't really make them a "no buy" for me, it just sort of kills a fair bit of whatever hype that I had. I wish they could just stick to Sonic, Tails, Buffles and Amy.

Going to be biased, but also completely honest here: The inclusion of Sticks makes me want these games, far, far less. Sanic doesn't need anymore new friends. Sorry.

Flame shield on for that one. I know some people are going to vehemently disagree with me.  Yes, I know that it isn't reasonable to shaft an entire game based upon the inclusion of one character. Her existence doesn't really make them a "no buy" for me, it just sort of kills a fair bit of whatever hype that I had. I wish they could just stick to Sonic, Tails, Buffles and Amy.

To be fair, her presence in the Wii U version does seem fairly minimal, I'm pretty sure I remembered hearing she'll likely be reduced to an NPC/Unlockable.

I totally understand your gripe with her in the 3DS version, though. I'm not thrilled over Amy being shafted and reduced to damsel in distress in that version, with Sticks taking her place. I'm OK with adding new characters, but completely shafting others in their favor irks the hell out of me.

• Thumbs Up 3