Awoo.

Ratchet and Clank: A Crack in Time

Leon K Fox

Okay, the rest of this year is looking pretty dry to me as far as games are concerned, besides this game and Cod4 Modern Warfare 2 I'm not excited about any, but I'm still pumped for this all the same.

I adored the original game, Ratchet and Clank:Tools of Destruction, as it was coming up to launch (I got my PS3 the Christmas season that it came out) I bought the other games in the series in anticipation and now I'm a big fan of the series on the whole. But ToD still remained my favourite game for not just its amazing graphics (Ratchet's character model is still one of the best of this generation in my mind) but its surpisingly good storyline and amazing weapons and gadgets, so you can natrually see why I'm so excited about its sequel.

Plus it'll be interesting to see how Ratchet copes without Clank for a portion of the game, not just in the story but in the gameplay as well.

I still need to play Quest for Booty as apparantley that sub game links the two big releases together, but I will get around to that at some point.

But yeah, this is by far the most exciting looking PS3 game for this year, no questions asked.

ratchet-and-clank-future-a-crack-in-time-20090602031059313.jpg

ratchet-and-clank-future-a-crack-in-time-20090529031723237.jpg

~link to screenshots~

Anyone else excited for this game?

Edited by Leon K Fox

Post screenshots and a link to them before this gets closed by an admin.

Post screenshots and a link to them before this gets closed by an admin.

Um...seems like a silly reason to lock a topic to me :huh: I will do it but...yeah...

Edited by Leon K Fox
  • Thumbs Up 1

Wait, this is coming out this year? If so that's good because I'm getting a playstation 3 in about 2 weeks.

Wait, this is coming out this year? If so that's good because I'm getting a playstation 3 in about 2 weeks.

Yep, should come out around November if ToD's launch was anything to go by with this series.

DAMN That looks nice. Why are Rachet & Clank games the best looking games on the PS3 IMO? Oh yeah, NOT MUCH BROWN!

• Thumbs Up 1

DAMN That looks nice. Why are Rachet & Clank games the best looking games on the PS3 IMO? Oh yeah, NOT MUCH BROWN!

So true. I do like games with graphics styles akin to Gears of War and Resistance, they look great actually, but we get way too bloody many of them these days so the R&C PS3 series (or Future series as it's known in the states) is a breath of fresh air.

It's nice to have a big console release be a platformer as well, to be honest.

Wasn't there already a topic like this? Well anyway.. before I comment about this particular game, I'd just like to say a few things about the series itself. Copy/paste from my LJ:

After coming off the huge success of the first three Spyro games, Insomniac games decided to start on a new project completely different. Since Spyro took place in a sort of medieval fantasy type environment, they decided to go with the exact opposite. A futuristic sci-fi adventure. Thus came the birth of some of the best platform games ever made, if not some of the best games ever made in general.

Everything is put together so seamlessly in these games. Whether it's the platforming segments, the third person shooter-esque combat, the vivid environments and characters or the humorous segments that are around every corner. Everything is incredibly well done and polished and made me the diehard Insomniac fan I am today. Not a single one of these games should be considered "average" and all of them are worth picking up and playing to the very end. They're platformers at their core, but they offer so much more that they almost become a genre within itself.

In short, I love the Ratchet and Clank series and there's no way in hell I'm missing out on this one. It looks great and it'll good to see Clank back where he belongs with Ratchet after his absence in Quest For Booty. Speaking of Quest For Booty.. it's a pretty fun game on it's own, Leon, but it's pretty damn short and the only thing significant that happens is Ratchet finding out where Clank is and that Doctor Nefarious is involved. I'd probably use that money for something else.

Wasn't there already a topic like this?

It wasn't on page 1 or 2, so wouldn't it be considered a bump by this point?

Yep, should come out around November if ToD's launch was anything to go by with this series.

Sweet, I've only played going commando but the wacky gadgets in this game are awesome.

Um, the R&C games on PS3 have good graphics, but MGS4 and Uncharted still have the best looking graphics on the PS3.

However, I'm a huge fan of the R&C games (mostly the PS2 ones), but R&CF:ToD was kind of a disappointment. It was OK, but it just didn't feel as good as Up Your Arsenal or Going Commando IMO. I might want to try this one though, it looks like a bigger improvement from ToD.

Um, the R&C games on PS3 have good graphics, but MGS4 and Uncharted still have the best looking graphics on the PS3.

Dude, graphics alone aren't what make a game look great, art style is important as well, and while Uncharted I will give you on the art front (even if I consider the game overrated beyond belief) but MGS4? No way, the game looks dull and bland in comparison to the PS3 Ratchet and Clank games, that game's only draw was its plot, which was great not enough to carry the game for me, I lost interest completely at the Laughing Octopus boss.

..You guys aren't serious about comparing the visuals in Ratchet and Clank to Metal Gear Solid 4, are you? They're two completely different graphical styles! It all comes down to opinion anyway.

Personally, I think both games look fantastic.

• Thumbs Up 1

Dude, graphics alone aren't what make a game look great, art style is important as well, and while Uncharted I will give you on the art front (even if I consider the game overrated beyond belief) but MGS4? No way, the game looks dull and bland in comparison to the PS3 Ratchet and Clank games, that game's only draw was its plot, which was great not enough to carry the game for me, I lost interest completely at the Laughing Octopus boss.

I know graphics aren't what makes a game good. MGS4 has excellent graphics though, it has some of the most realistic graphics I've seen. And it's my favorite PS3 game of all time. However, I hated Laughing Octopus, but I liked the rest of the game.

• 4 weeks later...

Okay, sorry if this is considered a bump, but there's been an update regarding this game, the PAL boxart has just been revealed :D

3790900671f35bec9921.jpg

It looks so awesome, just as much as ToD's boxart (PAL) did. I cannot friggin' wait for this game =3 I've just ordered Quest for Booty on Ebay to give me my Ratchet and Clank fix until this comes out.

Pre-ordered this game on Amazon. I want this game sooooooooo bad...and probably when I get this game...I will be so addicted...I may never come out of my room until I complete it. =/

And yesh, that is an awesuhum box art!

The US will be the same, except on the top we will have "Only on Playstation | PlayStation Network"...and instead of Ratchet and Clank...it's Ratchet and Clank Future...

Edited by Spicylicious Girl

*Squeals in fangirlish way*

I am so happy someone made a topic about this! Insomniac are telling people the information about the development on their podcast, the full moon show. It's also good for when you need a laugh, because they talk about all sorts of thing sometimes:Make sure you have iTunes ready, then click this link to visit the page for the Full Moon Show podcaston the iTunes store. It's free. Or you can copy and paste this link: http://itunes.apple.com/WebObjects/MZStore...st?id=219509414 or you could just look for it on iTune (You need to be looking for the one which goes up to episode 40, not the other one because that doesn't work)

I may not own a PlayStation 3, but I am pretty excited about this coming out, as I have been a fan of the games Insomniac make for many years. *Pauses to pat PS1 with copy of Spyro the Dragon hidden inside* So far, the R&C series has gone beyond all my expectations, and Tools of Destruction is actually the PS3's best selling game(According to Guiness World Records:Gamers Edition 2009). Once this game comes out, could someone do me a favour and keep me up to date with the plot? I've found out about what's happened so far in the other games, but it would be quite nice to have someone who tells me what's gonig on as they play it. It's become clear that Dr. Nefarious is going to play a BIG part in this.

Super :lol: Lombax

PS:Ooh! In the latest episode, they show pictures of the R&C and Resistance action firgures that are coming out in America in December! I hope they come out in England as well!!!!!

I think Gran Turismo 5: Prologue is the Playstation 3's biggest selling game. Anyway, I'm not sure at this stage, but that's because I've only just started gaining interest in the Ratchet & Clank series. The first R&C game I bought was Quest for Booty, and I was advised not to play it until I played Tools of Destruction, and I'm sticking to that advice.

I'd buy Tools of Destruction but I'm saving up for a brand new PS2, since my PS3 isn't backwards compatible.

EDIT: Just for the record, A Crack in Time where Clank isn't seen for most of it, not really a bad thing. Give me nothing but Lombax's everytime.

Edited by Major Ziggy

I've just ordered Quest for Booty on Ebay to give me my Ratchet and Clank fix until this comes out.

How could you order Quest for Booty on eBay? It's only for download on PSN. Or is there a retail version in Europe or something? I don't know because I live in the USA.

I'd buy Tools of Destruction but I'm saving up for a brand new PS2, since my PS3 isn't backwards compatible.

I think you should get a PS2 first, new PS2s are only $100. And I think you should get R&C: Up Your Arsenal. Best R&C game IMO.

The US will be the same, except on the top we will have "Only on Playstation | PlayStation Network"...and instead of Ratchet and Clank...it's Ratchet and Clank Future...

Not necessarily, the NTSC and PAL Box artworks for Tools of Destruction were completley different.

NTSC

ratchet__clank_future_tools_of_destruction_frontcover_large_TmLuIFzNgzE59QD.jpg

PAL

ratchet--clank-future-tools-of-destruction.jpg

In my opinion ours looked alot better, but that's besides the point.

How could you order Quest for Booty on eBay? It's only for download on PSN. Or is there a retail version in Europe or something? I don't know because I live in the USA.

Yes, it did get a retail version in the UK ~click me~

I think you should get a PS2 first, new PS2s are only $100. And I think you should get R&C: Up Your Arsenal. Best R&C game IMO.

I disagree, I thought Tools of Destruction was the best and would personally reccomend the PS3 first as far as the Ratchet series is concerned, but to each their own.

Edited by Leon K Fox

I did love the first R&C title for the PS3 when that first came out. This one looks really promising from the article I read in GameInformer.

Yes, it did get a retail version in the UK ~click me~

Thanks. I hope they have a retail version of A Crack in Time in the USA, and not just for download on PSN.

Thanks. I hope they have a retail version of A Crack in Time in the USA, and not just for download on PSN.

Yeah, A Crack in Time will get a retail release in the USA as it's a proper full budget release, where as Quest for Booty was a smaller sidegame intended for online distribution only (but SCEE requested a retail version for Europe, pressumably because they felt they'd get more profit that way).

Edited by FeathersMcGraw