Awoo.

ElectricAngel

And wow, those are some stark similarities. I had no idea of Fantomius' origin, as I just took the word of a German student at my school who used to religiously read the Donald Duck comics. Apparently in the German version (according to him), Paperinik is still called Fantomius and is seen as the "new generation" Fantomius. Sort of similar to how you said that Donald got inspired by Fantomius. In the German version he took his name as well, and just changed his outfit. If the original Fantomius died, I can assume Donald wanted to keep his legacy alive by taking on his role. And that makes a bit more sense than becoming a new superhero, actually. Bravo, German writers.

Yeah, I can confirm that this is is exactly how it goes down in the german version. :)

Also, the pic you posted with 'Fantomius' and Donald in one panel isn't confirmation that they are not the same person if I'm thinking of the right story, but you'll see that soon enough :D

The news about the origin of the original Phantomias (how he is called over here) really excites me. I greatly enjoyed the stories of him in which he just fucks with the rich and the police and constantly makes a fool of them (same artist and writer I think?), so seeing how we will get more of that plus the origin story is something I'm really, really looking forward to :D

Also, the pic you posted with 'Fantomius' and Donald in one panel isn't confirmation that they are not the same person if I'm thinking of the right story, but you'll see that soon enough :D

Okay, well that's the second story in the book so I'm getting to that. I just finished reading the origin story and wow Donald was an ass. I don't know if I should say this but I didn't really like Phantom Duck's origin story. Donald basically just went "I can steal from Uncle Scrooge. See? Look at me taking his entire mattress that's filled with money." and well, although in the end he didn't get any money from Scrooge, he still wasn't punished. Instead, Gastone was punished even though he did nothing wrong and Donald was left free. I.. just can't like these types of stories. And in the end Donald didn't even feel guilty. Urghhh. 

I'm still rather confused as to why he took the role. I mean, when he read the journal he basically read "I sleep all day and during the night I steal from the rich" and Donald went "Sleeping all day? That sounds like something I could get used to". So, as of now it seems that Donald doesn't have much motivation to be a hero for good intentions. But, hey, there was a small foreword stating that at the time these original stories were written, that Donald was never meant to be a serious superhero and was just a silly take on American superheroes. This makes me wonder how they got to stories like PKNA, since there seems to be a huge shift in the tone. 

Edit: Ahhh, so it was Gastone and Daisy dressed up as Fantomius and Fantomina. That makes sense considering Fantomius is dead. :L (This is the story Donald vs. Fantomius in case some don't know what I'm referring to)

Okay, well that's the second story in the book so I'm getting to that. I just finished reading the origin story and wow Donald was an ass. I don't know if I should say this but I didn't really like Phantom Duck's origin story. Donald basically just went "I can steal from Uncle Scrooge. See? Look at me taking his entire mattress that's filled with money." and well, although in the end he didn't get any money from Scrooge, he still wasn't punished. Instead, Gastone was punished even though he did nothing wrong and Donald was left free. I.. just can't like these types of stories. And in the end Donald didn't even feel guilty. Urghhh.

I'm still rather confused as to why he took the role. I mean, when he read the journal he basically read "I sleep all day and during the night I steal from the rich" and Donald went "Sleeping all day? That sounds like something I could get used to". So, as of now it seems that Donald doesn't have much motivation to be a hero for good intentions. But, hey, there was a small foreword stating that at the time these original stories were written, that Donald was never meant to be a serious superhero and was just a silly take on American superheroes. This makes me wonder how they got to stories like PKNA, since there seems to be a huge shift in the tone.

Simply put, Paperinik was not created as a superhero parody.

Instead, he was inspired by noir and pulp villains, and he was just that in his first stories; a villain. But Guido Martina, the writer of his first stories had an unique concept of the duck world; every single character was depicted as hating each other and sticking together out of necessities. Donald, Scrooge, the nephews. Martina's Donald wasn't foreign to telling his uncle "I'll dance on your grave" or "Die already!". Same thing with Scrooge. "(Donald) you wouldn't be able to steal from a deaf paralytic". Or the countless times Donald was in danger and he just didn't care. Not only that, but Scrooge was a dishonest rich guy, always conning those who had deals with him and a massive tax dodger. That's how he made his fortune, according to Martina.

The nephews outright hated their uncle, calling him a useless, lazy man. Rockerduck planned many times to have the old fool killed, either by hiring the Beagle Boys or someone else.

Gyro was the only one truly honest and friendly. But that's because Martina depicted him as being a complete moron outside of his tinkering with inventions.

Yeah, I really dislike Martina's ducks myself. Nowadays, whenever there's a flashback to Paperinik's origin in a modern story, it's usually about Donald finding the diary, nothing else.

You can guess why.

Also...Paperinik's character just mellowed out with time, and all of sudden he was the hero of Duckburg and a thief no more. There's no explanation for the change in-universe, so far.

• Thumbs Up 1

Donald slowly develops his intentions as a super hero. He picks up the "avenging the poor People that get screwed over by the rich" part of Fantomius and applies it to himself and Scrooge (since, to be fair, he IS constantly tricked and abused by his uncle), which is why he acts that way, getting revenge on the People that treat him like shit constantly. Over the years, he starts to not only revenge himself when he gets treated badly, but the public in general when they get screwed over by, for example, Scrooges Business practices, which then slowly transforms into not only avenging them, but also helping them out in general. He basically slowly slides out of the whole "avenging" Thing and into the usual super hero persona.

Also, I don't know how many of the old Donald Comics you read, but especially in the old Comics, Scrooge constantly, and I mean pretty much every freaking Story, forces Donald to do something he doesn't want to do or something really dangerous, promises him some awesome reward, and then completely pulls the rug underneath him, leaving him with absolutely nothing. Reading those stories pretty much on a daily bases when I read the reprints of the older books, I found it INSANELY satisfying to see Donald getting an opportunity to get back at him.

• Thumbs Up 1

Yeah, I only now just started reading some of the older Duck stories. I think before this the oldest ones I read were from 2002? So, yeah Scrooge does seem like a bit of an ass at times but so far in these Phantom Duck stories he's just been a prick sitting outside Donald's house to give him an offer like airing out his money or polishing crystals. I haven't seem him say there'd be a massive reward yet so I can't justify hating him to the point that Donald does. Though his pay rates are crap, I will say that. 

I utterly love Duck Avenger as a villain because MAAAAAAAN it feels good to see him go "FUCK YOU UNCLE SCROOGE AND YOUR CONSTANT THREATENING TO KICK ME AND THE KIDS OUT OF THE HOUSE DUE TO OUR DEBTS I'M GOING TO STEAL YOUR MATTRESS FROM UNDER YOUR ROTTING OLD MAN BODY AND PUT THE BLAME ON GLADSTONE"

• Thumbs Up 3

I love how they're finally translating the REAL origin of the Duck Avenger, since the American version of his origins back in Disney Adventure SUCKED ASS, BALLS and everything within. Seriously, why involving Ludwig Von Drake of all characters? Not to mention that I hate how he's the wacky inventor according to Disney of America. That's Gyro, guys. Ludwig is the professor, the know-it-all. C'mon.

I wonder how they'll translate Scrooge's insult to Donald "You wouldn't be able to steal from a mute deaf paralytic."  Probably they will tone it down.

Also, my dear, could you tell me how the inventors of the time machine in the Zodiac Stone saga are called in the American translation? They're called Zapotec and Marlin here in Italy.

I love how they're finally translating the REAL origin of the Duck Avenger, since the American version of his origins back in Disney Adventure SUCKED ASS, BALLS and everything within. Seriously, why involving Ludwig Von Drake of all characters? Not to mention that I hate how he's the wacky inventor according to Disney of America. That's Gyro, guys. Ludwig is the professor, the know-it-all. C'mon.

Wow, now the cover makes more sense. XD Glad I never read any of the American made Duck Avenger stories.

Also, my dear, could you tell me how the inventors of the time machine in the Zodiac Stone saga are called in the American translation? They're called Zapotec and Marlin here in Italy.

Hm, I'm not sure. I don't think part 1 of the story is even out yet. If I recall correctly, it comes out in July. I'll ask Jonathan Gray on Twitter. He's really friendly and responds quickly. Hopefully he won't be too annoyed by my constant questions. 

Edit: Oh hey look I got answers straight from the source

K3nXIqI.png

• Thumbs Up 1

I like how the cover's literally the classic Marco Rota Duck Avenger illustration that's been around for decades. I hope this is the start of the Duck Avenger ingraining himself more in the US mind.

I'm also extremely curious as how Jon'll deal with how everyone's much sourer than usual in the dialogue.

I'll try and prowl the Portuguese comics blogs to see if there's any info or previews about new issues, I generally just buy them in the supermarket if I've money at the time. Brazil might be more interesting, since there's both more publications and actual national production- at least of Zé Carioca, not sure if they still do their own Duck comics.

That's an interesting thing, actually. I was discussing with a friend the other day, normally I consider that my view of the Disney universe was shaped more by the Italian comics than the American ones, but now I think about it, it was mostly shaped by the Brazillian ones! They were sold in the 70's and 80's in Portugal, and I inherited a ton of them. Lots of off-kilter Fethry Duck stories, including giving him his own super hero persona and genre parodies, lots of generally silly humour, and in the case of the Carioca stories, a very hidden (considering it's Disney, so it's not quite the place for it) but interesting social commentary on poverty in Brazil.

Of these, my favourites were always the ones drawn by Renato Canini, who can be compared to how Barks is to Donald. Not quite as revolutionary, he was working from material given already, and with two writers, but he's still the seminal Zé Carioca artist, and I'm actually quite sad that nowadays in Portugal we just reprint the Italian editions, since that means there's no Carioca stuff, which I quite liked.

Brazillian Fethry Duck stuff (under spoiler since lots of images):

peninha4.jpg
One element that amused me was that Fethry was pitted against Donald's cat so often. It got to the point that the stories'd often just basically have Tabby living with Fethry to start with, much to his chagrin. It was great.

10951420_845567295499436_329862800527173
almanaque-manual-peninha-walt-disney-edi

Fethry, Donald, and occasionally Daisy were often shown to work at Scrooge's Newspaper, whose offices were either in the Money Bin or Scrooge was spending a lot of time outside of the Bin in this time :V in Portuguese, it was called the Patada (the footprint, a pun with the fact it has Pata in the name, meaning a female duck). Their rivals were Rockerduck's newspaper, the Patranha, which is generally shown to actually be a good newspaper, since Rockerduck actually spends money in it :V
As far as I know, neither newspaper has English names- Patranha means a forgery, a lie, a trick. It's also got the "pat" sound similar to pato, pata- duck.

disney-peninha-50-anos.jpg
In the newspaper, Fethry often took the task of "newspaper funny pages" to himself, making comic strips that were either pastiches of Westerns, Tarzan, or Aquaman, but with himself as the hero. Eventually the stories would appear without the framing logic of being a comic strip inside a comic strip, just for the fun of it. It was great stuff.

You'll notice on this image there's a 5th Fethry though, and that's...

Peninha+07.jpg

The Red Bat! Fethry's answer to Donald's Duck Avenger, a bizarre nonsense version of him, half-incompetent, less resourceful (his secret base is a trash bin), with bizarre gadgets like flying ropes.

... I always liked his design better, though. I think the way they drew Fethry with lots of angles helped.

2nhqplk.jpg
peninha-s1-01.jpg

He also had his own nephew!

In a bizarre twist, there's no direct relation, per se. Based on Donald's origin as told in the story Buon compleanno, Paperino! (which I've always loved, even if it doesn't fit the general Duck story at all), where he was an orphan inside a duck egg whom Scrooge and Granma Duck find in a storm, Fethry's Nephew, 
Biquinho (little beak, beaky- as far as I know, there's no English name), is found by Fethry in a storm too, an egg falling from a tree (his first story is actually a 4th-wall breaking story about the authors themselves creating him).

He's like all the "brat" tendencies of Huey, Louie, and Dewey ,that had been toned down over the ages, put into ONE character. Hyperactive, a brat, rude, but also innocent in his childish ways, it's just an adorable kid.

Zé (Joe) Carioca stuff (under spoiler since lots of images):

zc389_car1.jpg

His great-uncle and his cousins, each one based on a regional stereotype of Brazil (much like how Zé is "parrot + carioca, i.e., a person from a region near Rio/of Rio, depending on the decade")- Great-Uncle is Zé do Engenho (engenho here being the slave-run farms with machines inside to turn sugar cane into sugar, giving this a bit of a weird twist. Imagine Donald having a great-uncle who's a southern baron, I suppose?), Zé Paulista, from São Paulo, Zé Carioca, Zé Jandaia (from the Ceará region), Zé Queijinho, the redneck one, who has a pet goat named Gabriela, Zé Pampeiro, the gaúcho, and not seen is Zé Baiano.

zc235808.jpg
Showing how a normal Carioca story went. Him and his best friend, Nestor, contorting some half-thought plan to make a quick buck without having to work too much (or at all). Also good example of the flatter style Renato Canini had, which I quite like.

ze-carioca-em-painel-da-hq-churrasco-bom
x9cCUIJ.jpg
canini.png
zc235607.jpg
His portrayal of Carioca's world is a great contrast to Donald's Duckburg, with an amusing take on the slums of the time and the extreme poverty- not necessarily moralizing, but also not hiding it. It's great.

mv.jpgtumblr_mmknlxAFHK1qdii2so3_r2_400.jpg

Inspired by Fethry (the writers, that is- as far as I know there's no story connection), Carioca also had a superhero persona! The Green Bat. While Red Bat, while being a poorer version of the Duck Avenger, was still half-competent and full of fun gadgets, the Green Bat has nothing. Not even a secret identity- Zé doesn't pay attention to it, but all his friends know he's the Green Bat, especially as his first costume, the one with the glasses, is just a carnival mask he had.

There's more interesting brazillian Disney comics stuff if you'd like to know, like the Double-O Duck (no, not the recent Donald DoubleDuck stories. No, not the proto-Darkwing Duck, this predates him by decades.) and Mata Harrier stories that I also loved as a kid.

EDIT:

Also, an interesting thing I found. Made months before Ducktales, a short animation by Romano Scarpa that's based on the Italian Disney comics of the time.

WHICH MEANS IT'S (as far as I know) THE ONLY OFFICIAL ANIMATED APPEARANCE OF THE DUCK AVENGER. Also of other characters like Paperetta Yé-Yé

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ljE_sWyFzN4

• Thumbs Up 2

• 4 weeks later...

Bump and double post with some neat stuff.

First and foremost...

This is a new mobile RPG by Disney, featuring Donald, Scrooge etc. fighting the various villains Magica has summoned via a card system.

It doesn't look terribly interesting by itself, but you notice anything remarkable about it?

It's entirely based on Disney Comics' Duckburg, instead of Ducktales or anything similar!

The art is clearly based on both Barks and how the comics are drawn in the Nordic countries in Europe (which results in a kinda demented-looking Donald and an ugly Gyro, but that's beside the point), and look at the loading screens

Not only is the Duck Avenger there, so is Super Daisy! (will she maybe get a better name in English, with this rise in popularity by Duck Avenger?)

The cards mention concepts such as Scrooge's cannon Big Bertha and the Billionaire Club!

This is really nice to see, just wish it was with a more interesting game and perhaps a touch cuter art style for everyone that's not Scrooge.

IN OTHER NEWS

Found this really neat blog that's totally unrelated to me on tumblr, that's doing basic scanlations of Brazillian Disney Comics! If you want more Fethry Duck stories, or to read some of the Joe Carioca stories that've for decades been stuck in Brazil, just come right in!

THE FEATHERY SOCIETY - http://thefeatherysociety.tumblr.com/

• Thumbs Up 5

Oi, I can't believe these flew over my head. This summer for some reason has been exhausting for me. And this darned weather isn't helping. But for you, SSMB, I shall continue with these. It's time for

IDW Disney Comics Solicits for October 2015!

Uncle Scrooge #7 

"Mummy Fearest": When Scrooge rebuilds his Money Bin in pyramid form, rival tycoon John D. Rockerduck decides it's time for a Pharaoh's curse!

Writers: Romano Scarpa and Joe Torcivia

Interior Artist: Romano Scarpa

Cover Artists: William Van Horn and Derek Charm

This issue features the story "Zio Paperone e il deposito piramidale" or Uncle Scrooge and the Pyramid Money Bin. It was originally published in Italy in issue #1109 of Topolino in 1977. The story received an average rating of 7.6/10 from readers.

Original Publication Cover:

it_tl_1109a_001.jpg

IDW Regular Cover by William Van Horn:

Scrooge07-cvr-MOCKONLY-1a5e8.jpg

Donald Duck #6

Donald's debut as "The Diabolical Duck Avenger" wraps up—but will it finish a Duck family feud? Then Donald's nephews celebrate a "Birthday Bugaboo!"

Writers: Guido Martina and Harry Gladstone 

Interior Artists: Giovan Battista Carpi and Harry Gladstone

Cover Artists: Dave Alvarez and Derek Charm

This issue finishes the origin of Duck Avenger with part 2 of the story "Paperinik il diabolico vendicatore" or Paperinik the Devilish Avenger. Part 2 was originally published in Italy in issue #707 of Topolino in 1969. The story received an average rating of 7.8/10 from readers.

Original Publication Cover

it_tl_0707a_001.jpg

IDW Subscription Cover by Derek Charm:

Donald06-cvrSUB-MOCKONLY-eb8d3.jpg

Mickey Mouse #5

"The Ghost of Man-Eater Mountain!" Mickey's and Goofy's skiing holiday turns spooky—and near-deadly!—when a spectral kidnapper strikes!

Writer: Bill Wright

Interior Artist: Bill Wright

Cover Artists: Jonathan Gray and Derek Charm

This issue features the story "The Ghost of Man-Eater Mountain!" originally published in the USA in issue #129 of Walt Disney's Comics and Stories in 1951. The story received an average rating of 7.4/10 by readers.

us_wdc_129_00_001.jpg

IDW Regular Cover by Jonathan Gray:

Mickey05-cvrSUB-MOCKONLY-2171c.jpg

Walt Disney's Comics & Stories #724

Man-eating tigers menace Mickey under the big top in "Search for the Zodiac Stone," Part 4 of 12. Then we're celebrating Comics and Stories' 75th anniversary with a new Daan Jippes Donald Duck adventure!

Writer: Bruno Sarda

Interior Artists: Daan Jippes and Massimo De Vita

Cover Artists: Henrieke Goorhuis, Walt Kelly, and Derek Charm

This issue continues the epic story "Alla ricerca della pietra zodiacale" or In Search of the Zodiac Stone with part 4 of 12. Part 4 was originally published in Italy in issue #1783 of Topolino in 1990. The complete story received an average rating of 7.7/10 by readers.

it_tl_1783a_001.jpg

IDW Retail Incentive "Disney Legacy" Cover by Derek Charm:

WDCS-724-cvrRI-MOCKONLY-da658.jpg

Walt Disney Comics & Stories: 75th Anniversary Special

"Howlin' crashwagons!" It's here! This king-size celebration of Disney's flagship title brings together Donald, Mickey, Uncle Scrooge, Goofy, Magica, Chip ‘n' Dale, Big Bad Wolf, Ludwig Von Drake, and a prized pantheon of favorite artists and writers—tracing decades of thrills, memories and mayhem!

Writers: William Van Horn and Carl Fallberg

Interior Artists: William Van Horn, Walt Kelly, Al Taliaferro, Paul Murry, and Al Hubbard

Cover Artists: Daan Jippes, Heinrike Goorhuis, and Walt Kelly

This is a special one-shot issue to celebrate 75 kickin' years of the Walt Disney's Comics & Stories series! They're incredibly vague with what stories they'll have, so I have no idea what to say on this. But it looks interesting, and a nice little celebration. 

Cover by Daan Jippes (I think):

WDCS-75thAn-cvrA-MOCKONLY-f6f41.jpg

Cover by Heinrike Goorhuis (not too sure on this one, either):

WDCS-75thAn-cvrB-MOCKONLY-451e8.jpg

Mickey Mouse: The Mysterious Crystal Ball

The adventures of Mickey Mouse return in these kid-friendly-sized collections of classic stories such as "The Lost Explorers' Trail," "Mickey Mouse vs. The Phantom Blot," "The Mysterious Crystal Ball," and more!

Writers: Andrea "Casty" Castellan, Bill Walsh, and Jonathan Gray

Interior Artists: Giorgio Cavazzano, Manuel Gonzales, and Paul Murry 

Cover Artist: Amy Mebberson

IDW continues with the tradition of Disney Trade Paperbacks with Vol. 1 of Mickey Mouse. This volume contains the stories seen in issues #1-3 of IDW's Mickey Mouse.

Cover:

Mickey-TPB01-cvr-MOCKONLY-a76ea.jpg

International Spotlight!

Netherlands Spotlight!

This month we're diving into some Disney comics in the Netherlands! Here we've got Donald Duck Extra, a monthly comic featuring stories with Donald Duck. Recently released in Netherlands, we have issue #8 of the 2015 year. The lead story is "Someone's Hero", originally published in Denmark in 2014. The story received an average rating of 7.2/10 by readers. We've also got two additional stories, "Great Escapes" also originally published in Denmark in 2014, and "The Siren's Whistle" which was published in the US in 1972. The Dutch titles for these are "Held voor een dag" (Hero for a Day), "De spijbelstrijd" (I have no idea how to translate this one), and "De Griekse toverfluit" (The Greek Magic Flute) respectively.

Cover:

nl_de2015_08a_001.jpg

Edited by ElectricAngel
  • Thumbs Up 2

Oh yeah, those were published in Greece in the Mega Mickey magazine. They eventually started printing them in these glorious hardcover graphic novels under the title Disney Cinema. I got every single volume in my basement. I don't read them much now, in fact, the only reason I got them is because my sister bought the first volume, so I made an effort to get the rest as they came out every week. They had a ton of them, like 50 volumes I think. And they look nice when put on a shelf. I may post a pic later today, if I'm not too lazy. 

Oh man that cover for Donald Duck is a disaster. Even beyond my annoyance at how so far how few covers actually have anything to do with what's inside (and the few that do are reused, like the previous issue's), it's just a boring copypaste of headshots of characters, where the ones who look good are traces (that Donald's from the generic Disney model sheets, that Scrooge's clearly from Barks), and the others look weird and awkward (just look at Gladstone and Brigitta!).

The touch I'm most amused with is Moby Duck, though. He's drawn as Strobl' usually draw him, but has the seagull from the Italian comics where Fethry sails with him- which makes no sense here, as Moby's drawn in the classic style!

So either Mr. Charm is a  huge fan of those Italian comics, or he's just copying without context from the Moby Duck article on Disney Wiki, where the main illustration has said seagull in pretty much exactly the same pose, despite the fact that in the American context, Moby's pet is a porpoise :V

Bah, nitpicking. It's great enough there's Disney comics at all in the US again, and look, even a neat celebration of WDCS's 75 years!

EDIT: Incidentally, can't you post the source you got these from? For some reason finding the sources for solicits is always incredibly obtuse for me.

Edited by The KKM
  • Thumbs Up 1

Well, for some reason when the solicits are released, we get random covers instead of all of them. I think it's just to keep them a surprise? Anyway, for the most part the regular covers are relevant. It's the variants that have nothing to do with what's inside. 

Here are some regular covers of recently released issues that weren't in the original solicits:

dd3a.jpg?w=604us4a.jpg?w=604

Donald has the story Paperoga e l'isola a motore (English title being The Siege of Nothing Atoll) and Scrooge has the story The Grand Canyon Conquest. So, as you can see, the covers are relevant. At least, for the Donald one. I haven't read the Scrooge story but I assume the same can be said for it.

• Thumbs Up 1

I've recieved a new Fantomiald book for my collection :)

o86kiu.jpg

I must say that France loves those Disney comics, as they often release special editions. This summer, they've started releasing the Dimension M saga at newspaper agents, it will have 4 books (the first three have been released as of now) :

ac8xue.jpg

Last year they released the Wizards of Mickey saga in three books too.

vqp3dg.jpg

Edited by Adamis
  • Thumbs Up 2

• 1 month later...

Oi mates, I was travelling when these came out and completely forgot about checking them so here we got a presentation for 

IDW Disney Comic Solicits for November 2015

No International Spotlight this time because I'm too lazy. :V Also, this month marks the new theme for the "Disney Legacy" or Retail Incentive covers! It's a ToonTown theme! 

Donald Duck #7

“Truth or Consequences”: Because you asked for it, Donald reluctantly rejoins the Tamers of Nonhuman Threats—just in time to chase a monstrous water horse around the high streets of Europe!

Writers: Lars Jensen and David Gerstein

Interior Artists: Flemming Anderson and Tony Strobl

Cover Artists: Andrea Freccero,John Loter, and Derek Charm

This issue contains the story "Truth or Consequences", which was originally published in Denmark in 2004 in issue #287 of Jumbobog. The story received an average rating of 7.2/10 from readers.

dk_jb_0287a.jpg

IDW Regular Cover by Andrea Freccero:

DonaldDuck07_cvrA-MOCKONLY.jpg?143999135

IDW Retail Incentive Cover by Derek Charm:

DonaldDuck07_cvrRI-MOCKONLY.jpg?14399913

Mickey Mouse #6

“Plan Dine From Outer Space!” Mickey and Eega Beeva didn’t expect to spend the weekend saving Earth from a planet-size, planet-eating worm—but it could happen!

Writers: Andrea “Casty” Castellan, Joe Torcivia, and Bill Wright

Interior Artists: Andrea Castellan and Bill Wright

Cover Artists: Andrea Castellan, Cesar Feroli, and Derek Charm

This issue contains the story "Eta Beta e il Buz pappapianeti" originally published in Italy in 2010 in issue #2845 of Topolino. The story received an average rating of 7.3/10 from readers. 

it_tl_2845a_001.jpg

IDW Regular Cover by Andrea Castellan:

Mickey06_cvrA-MOCKONLY.jpg?1439991625

IDW Retail Incentive Cover by Derek Charm:

Mickey06_cvrRI.jpg?1439991713

Uncle Scrooge #8

“Peril of Pandora’s Box”: When sorceress Magica De Spell gets her hands on the original surprise package, it’s a race to threaten Scrooge with the evils inside!

Writers: Arno Buitink and Daan Jippes

Interior Artists: Bas Heymans and Daan Jippes 

Cover Artists: Michel Nadorp, Silvio Camboni, and Derek Charm

This issue contains the story "De doos van Pandora" originally published in the Netherlands in 2003 in issue #33 (of 2003) of Donald Duck. The story received an average rating of 7.3/10 from readers. 

nl_dd2003_33a_001.jpg

IDW Regular Cover by Michel Nadorp:

STK688595.jpg

Walt Disney's Comics & Stories #725

“The Search For the Zodiac Stone—Chapter 5!” Donald and Scrooge seek the next powerful Zodiac pendant in the stratosphere! Then Chip ‘n’ Dale wreak havoc in a never-before-reprinted classic!

Writers: Bruno Sarda and Jonathan Gray

Interior Artists: Massimo De Vita and Harvey Eisenberg

Cover Artists: John Loter, Giada Perissinotto, and Derek Charm

This issue contains part 5 of the story "Alla ricerca della pietra zodiacale". Part 5 was originally published in Italy in 1990 in issue #1784 of Topolino. The complete story received an average rating of 7.6/10 by readers.

it_tl_1784a_001.jpg

IDW Regular Cover by John Loter:

WDCS_725_cvr-MOCKONLY.jpg?1439992028

Uncle Scrooge: The Grand Canyon Conquest

The adventures of Uncle Scrooge continue in these all-ages collections of classic stories such as "The Grand Canyon Conquest" and "The Bigger Operator."

Writers: Miquel Pujol, Jonathan Gray, Freddy Milton, Giorgio Pezzin and Thad Komorowski

Interior Artists: Miquel Pujol, Al Hubbard and Marco Rota

Cover Artist: Miquel Pujol

This is volume 2 of the Uncle Scrooge graphic novel lineup from IDW and contains the stories from issues #4-6 of the IDW Uncle Scrooge run.

Cover:

STK684041.jpg

Pre-Order Codes:

Donald Duck #7 Regular Cover: SEP150441

Donald Duck #7 Subscription Cover: SEP150442

Mickey Mouse #6 Regular Cover: SEP150444

Mickey Mouse #6 Subscription Cover: SEP150445

Uncle Scrooge #8 Regular Cover: SEP150450

Uncle Scrooge #8 Subscription Cover: SEP150451

Uncle Scrooge Volume 2: Grand Canyon Conquest: SEP150453

Walt Disney's Comics & Stories #725 Regular Cover: SEP150447

Walt Disney's Comics & Stories #725 Subscription Cover: SEP150448

Soruces: http://www.newsarama.com/25603-idw-publishing-november-2015-solicitations.html ; http://www.previewsworld.com/Home/1/1/71/979?articleID=167200 

Edited by ElectricAngel
  • Thumbs Up 1

• 4 weeks later...

Keeping this thread alive with new solicits which aren't that new because I'm late. :V

IDW Disney Comics Solicits for December 2015

Mickey and Donald's Christmas Parade

It’s a ho-ho-humongous collection of Disney Yuletide tales! Mickey and Uncle Scrooge battle Pegleg Pete and the Beagle Boys in “The Christmas Caper!” Then Daisy, Donald and Gladstone have a not-so-jolly holiday in “Christmas Clubbing”—and Super Goof returns for spacescape shenanigans in “Interstellar Santa!”

Writers: Abramo Barosso, Giampaolo Barosso, Kirsten De Graaf, and Jonathan Gray
Interior Artists: Giovan Battista Carpi, Mau Heymans, and Marco Mazzarello
Cover Artist: Giorgio Cavazzano

I can't say that any of these stories sound familiar to me, but it sounds like a fun bonus issue. I like how so far, IDW seems to be trying to bring Disney comics over to the USA in similar ways that they do in Europe, as special issues are very common. 

Cover by Giorgio Cavazzano:

MickeyDonald_ChristmasCVR.jpg?1442434428

Release Date: Dec. 2, 2015
Price: $5.99 
Pre-Order Code: OCT150381

Walt Disney’s Donald Duck: The Daily Newspaper Comics, Vol. 2 

From the Disney Vaults! The early Donald Duck daily strips are collected for the first time ever! This second volume includes 750 sequential daily comic strips from 1940 to 1942 drawn by Al Taliaferro and written by Bob Karp, and reproduced from pristine original material in the Disney Vaults!

Writer: Bob Karp
Interior and Cover Artist: Al Taliaferro

Cover by Al Taliaferro:

STK691402.jpg

Release Date: Dec. 30, 2015
Price: $39.99 
Pre-Order Code: OCT150380

Donald Duck #8

Fan favorite Romano Scarpa drags out the Dickens with a futuristic twist—as Donald catches the “Spaced-Out Christmas” spirit! Then Donald celebrates “Counterfeit Christmas” with the Beagle Boys... uh-oh!

Writers: Massimo Marconi and Jan Kruse
Interior Artists: Romano Scarpa and Bas Heymans 
Cover Artists: Michel Nadorp, Daan Jippes, and Fabio Pochet

Okay, so I'm not familiar with Christmas stories (I only recently started reading a few of the more modern ones being published in Greece) but I think this issue has the story Paperino e il Natale... spaziale. It's the only Christmas related story that I know of that Massimo Marconi and Romano Scarpa worked on together. So, if it is this story, then it was originally published in Italy in issue #1569 of Topolino in 1985. And that story got an average rating of 7.3/10 by readers. As for the second story, it's Dupliceermachine (kerst), originally published in the Netherlands in issue #51(of 1996) of Donald Duck in 1996. That story got an average rating of 7.2/10 by readers.

Original Publication Cover (Italy):

it_tl_1569a_001.jpg

Original Publication Cover (Netherlands):

nl_dd1996_51a_001.jpg

IDW Regular Cover by Michel Nadorp:

STK689539.jpg

IDW Subscription Cover by Daan Jippes:

STK689541.jpg

Release Date: Dec. 23, 2015
Price: $3.99
Pre-Order Code (Regular Cover): OCT150391
Pre-Order Code (Subscription Cover): OCT150392

Mickey Mouse #7

“The Christmas Tree Crimes”: All over Mouseton, silent nights are disrupted by a most peculiar Phantom Blot attack! Then Pegleg Pete slips Mickey a mickey in “While We Were Waiting!”

Writers: Abramo Barosso, Giampaolo Barosso, and Joe Torcivia
Interior Artist: Romano Scarpa
Cover Artists: Andrea “Casty” Castellan, Marco Rota, and John Loter 

The first story in this issue is Topolino e gli abeti Himalaiani, originally published in Italy in issue #370 of Topolino in 1962. The story received an average rating of 7.3/10 by readers. As for the second story, the English title is so odd and I couldn't find any stories with the similar premise that the solicit says. There could also be a typo, but mickey means to sorta tease someone, so.. Well anyway I've boiled it down to two stories. It's more likely it's Topolino e la classica su strada, originally published in issue #724 of Topolino in 1969. The second and less likely possibility is that it's Topolino e il "saluto dei Mac Gregor", originally published in issue #705 of Topolino in 1969. Both stories got an average of 7.3/10 by readers, so either way it's going to be good.

Original Publication Cover (1st story):

it_tl_0370a.jpg

Original Publication Cover (2nd story):

it_tl_0724a_001.jpg

IDW Subscription Cover by Marco Rota:

STK689555.jpg

Note: This cover is advertised as the regular Andrea Castellan one. It must be a mistake given the CVR SUB next to the number, and the fact that this isn't Casty's style. He draws Mickey with a tuft of hair and more oval ears, as opposed to the more classic design seen in the cover above.

Release Date: Dec. 16, 2015
Pre-Order Code (Regular Cover): OCT150385
Pre-Order Code (Subscription Cover): OCT150386

Uncle Scrooge #9

“Another Christmas on Bear Mountain”: If Scrooge McDuck stepped back in time—to that fateful Yule night when he first met Donald as a grown duck!—might he settle the misdeeds that have haunted them for an age?

Writers: Tito Faraci and Gary Leach
Interior Artist: Giorgio Cavazzano
Cover Artists: Giorgio Cavazzano, Daniel Branca, and Marco Gervasio

This issue contains the story Zio Paperone in.. un altro Natale sul Monte Orso. It was originally published in Italy in issue #2717 of Topolino in 2007. The story got an average rating of 7.4/10 by readers. 

it_tl_2717a_001.jpg

IDW Regular Cover by Giorgio Cavazzano:

STK689599.jpg

IDW Subscription Cover by Daniel Branca:

STK689601.jpg

Release Date: Dec. 9, 2015
Pre-Order Code (Regular Cover): OCT150388
Pre-Order Code (Subscription Cover): OCT150389

Walt Disney's Comics & Stories #726

“The Search For the Zodiac Stone—Chapter 6!” Donald hits Hawaii to find the powerful Pisces pendant. But Gladstone Gander might be more powerful still! Then Oswald the Lucky Rabbit celebrates Christmas at Ortensia’s... but everything goes wrong “Just Like Magic!”

Writers: Bruno Sarda, David Gerstein and Jonathan Gray
Interior Artists: Massimo De Vita, Mark Kausler
Cover Artists: Amy Mebberson, John Loter, and Dave Alvarez

The first story in this issue continues the story Alla ricerca della pietra zodiacale with part 6 out of 12. Part 6 was originally published in Italy in issue #1785 of Topolino in 1990. The completed story got an average rating of 7.7/10 by readers. Now, for the second story, I believe it's original. I don't recall any Oswald stories being published in Europe. I think he's only appeared in a comic adaptation of Epic Mickey, so this is rather exciting! 

it_tl_1785a_001.jpg

IDW Regular Cover by Amy Mebberson:

STK689602.jpg

IDW Subscription Cover by John Loter:

STK689604.jpg

Release Date: Dec. 30, 2015
Pre-Order Code (Regular Cover): OCT150382
Pre-Order Code (Subscription Cover): OCT150383

Donald Duck: The Diabolical Duck Avenger 

Enjoy modern and classic Disney tales such as “The Diabolical Duck Avenger,” “The Perfect Calm,” “Birthday Bugaboo!,” and more by classic creators such as Rodolfo Cimino and Romano Scarpa. Collects issues #4–6.

Writers: Rodolfo Cimino, Guido Martina, Jonathan Gray, and Harry Gladstone 
Interior Artists: Romano Scarpa, Giovan Battista Carpi, Daan Jippes, and Harry Gladstone
Cover Artist: Marco Rota

Cover by Marco Rota:

STK686819.jpg

Release Date: Dec. 2, 2015
Price: $12.99
Pre-Order Code: OCT150394

International Spotlight!

France Spotlight: Le Journal de Mickey #3301

This month we take a look at the weekly Mickey Mouse comics magazine that's published in France! The most recent issue, #3301 features the story Mickey face au Fantôme noir : mortel combat, which is of French origin and was actually published in issue #2513 of Le Journal de Mickey in France in 2000. Other stories in this issue are L'égout et les douleurs«J'ai oublié le code !»Énigme, and Les p'tits boulots. The stories Énigme and Les p'tits boulots are both newly produced for this issue.

Cover:

fr_jm_3301a_001.jpg

Edited by ElectricAngel
  • Thumbs Up 1

Hm, well after searching, it could be the story Just Like Magic. It's only been published in Norway, but it's a whole 7 pages long. That's a decent length. Guess it flew under my radar. But it is nice to see Oswald getting a few comic stories as well. 

By the way, now that I remembered it, I wonder what's happening with the new Darkwing Duck comic series? We were told it'd be released in 2015, but now we've gotten solicits for December and no sign of Darkwing. I haven't heard anything from the creators either. I sure hope it wasn't cancelled. :(  

Rumour debunked, straight from the source!

Makes sense, from a business perspective. 25th anniversary means there's a higher chance of the general public paying attention and being interested, and gives Disney an opportunity to push and sell more merchandise. The part about Ducktales is interesting though. The new series won't be airing until 2017, so could this mean a new Ducktales comic is coming out as well? Or maybe he's talking about something else I'm unaware of.

• 1 month later...

It's that time of the month again! 

IDW Disney Comic Solicits for January 2016

Walt Disney’s Donald Duck: The Sunday Newspaper Comics, Vol. 1

From the Disney Vaults—the original Donald Duck color Sunday comics collected in a book series for the very first time! After a try-out as part of the Silly Symphonies series, Donald was given his own Sunday comics page in late 1939 and it became an instant hit. This premiere volume includes more than three full years of rare Sunday comics, from the first strip on December 10, 1939 through the end of 1942. Drawn by Al Taliaferro and written by Bob Karp, the comics are reproduced from pristine original material in the Disney Vaults!

Writer: Bob Karp
Interior & Cover Artist: Al Taliaferro

Cover by Al Taliaferro:
Donald_Sundays_1_cvr.jpg?1445528426

Release Date: Feb. 17, 2016
Price: $49.99
Pre-Order Code: NOV150427

Donald Duck #9

Tycoonraker!” Mad Dr. Zantaf wants to zap Scrooge McDuck with his terrifying generosity ray! Will Donald foil the evil plan—or greedily join in?

This issue features the story Paperino missione Zantaf, which was originally published in Italy in issue #142 of Almanacco Topolino in 1968. The story received an average rating of 7.4/10 by readers.

Writer and Interior Artist: Luciano Bottaro
Cover Artists: Stefano Turconi and Andrea Freccero

Original Publication Cover by Giuseppe Perego:
it_at_0142a_001.jpg

IDW Regular Cover by Stefano Turconi:
DonaldDuck09_cvrA_MOCKONLY.jpg?144552843

Release Date: Jan. 20, 2016
Pre-Order Code (Regular Cover): NOV150428
Pre-Order Code (Subscription Cover): NOV150429

Mickey Mouse #8

The Chirikawa Necklace,”Part 1 of 2! Why is Mickey suffering numbing nervous breakdowns? Is a strange piece of jewelry responsible? And could Pegleg Pete be behind it all?

This issue features the story Topolino e la collana Chirikawa, which was originally published in Italy in issue #230 of Topolino in 1960. The story received an average rating of 7.8/10 by readers.

Writer and Interior Artist: Romano Scarpa 
Cover Artists: Kari Korhonen and Fabrizio Petrossi

Original Publication Cover by Paul Murry:
it_tl_0230a_001.jpg

IDW Regular Cover by Kari Korhonen:
Mickey08_cvr-MOCKONLY.jpg?1445529122

Release Date: Jan. 13, 2016
Pre-Order Code (Regular Cover): NOV150430
Pre-Order Code (Subscription Cover): NOV150431

Mickey Mouse: Gift of the Sun Lord

Omigosh!” Mickey, Goofy, and Eurasia Toft jump from one epic quest to another—battling ghastly ghosts, putrid Pete, and an awesome planet-size parasite!  Follow the thrills and laughs in “Gift of the Sun Lord,” “Ghost of Man-Eater Mountain,” “Plan Dine From Outer Space,” and more!

Writers: Andrea “Casty” Castellan, Jonathan Gray, Bill Wright, and Joe Torcivia
Interior Artists: Giorgio Cavazzano and Jonathan Gray
Cover Artist: Andrea “Casty” Castellan

Cover by Andrea Castellan:
Mickey_TPB02_cvr.jpg?1445529114

Release Date: Jan. 6, 2016
Price: $12.99
Pre-Order Code: NOV150436

Uncle Scrooge #10

Ever wonder why Scrooge stays a bachelor? In “The Eternal Knot,” it’s all about a decades-old gold miners’ bet—until McDuck meets Gladys Dukehart, a mystery heiress whom it seems he can’t refuse!

I'm not sure which story this is, but.. it should be good. Because any story involving Gladstone and Donald is a good time.

Writers: Abramo and Giampaolo Barosso
Interior Artists: Romano Scarpa and Rodolfo Cimino
Cover Artists: Dave Alvarez and Massimo Asaro

IDW Regular Cover by Dave Alvarez:
Scrooge10_cvr-MOCKONLY.jpg?1445530035

Release Date: Jan. 6, 2016
Pre-Order Code (Regular Cover): NOV150432
Pre-Order Code (Subscription Cover): NOV150433

Walt Disney’s Comics & Stories #727

Goofy never knew he had an evil twin... till he and Mickey face death by demonic double in “The Search for the Zodiac Stone: Chapter 7!” Then Donald Duck and Ludwig Von Drake solve “The Planet X Mystery”—but soon wish they hadn’t!

The first story in this issue continues the story Alla ricerca della pietra zodiacale with part 7 out of 12. Part 7 was originally published in issue #1786 of Topolino in Italy in 1990. The completed story got an average rating of 7.7/10 by readers. The second story is a reprint of an American produced story simply called The Planet X MysteryIt was originally published in issue #102 of Donald Duck in 1965.

Writers: Bruno Sarda, Bob Ogle, and Jonathan Gray
Interior Artists: Franco Valussi and Tony Strobl
Cover Artists: Andrea Freccero and Marco Gervasio 

Original Publication Cover for Story 1:
it_tl_1786a_001.jpg

Original Publication Cover for Story 2 by Tony Strobl:
us_dd_0102_00_001.jpg

IDW Regular Cover by Andrea Freccero:
WDCS_727_cvr-MOCKONLY.jpg?1445530655

Release Date: Jan. 27, 2016
Pre-Order Code (Regular Cover): 
NOV150434
Pre-Order Code (Subscription Cover): NOV150435

International Spotlight!

Greece Spotlight: Editor's Choice - Ο Μεγάλος Σπλάς (The Big Splash)

nlAu9ld.jpg

After fan demand, the new publisher of Disney comics in Greece is starting up the graphic novel line again! This time named "Editor's Choice" as opposed to "The Mega Series" previously. The first graphic novel to release is coming out this Thursday and features the story Il grande splash, originally published in issue #2253 of Topolino in Italy in 1999. This graphic novel will also feature several other stories, all illustrated by famous Italian cartoonist Silvia Ziche! 

Silvia Ziche usually does the "Duckburg Here!" segments you see in the beginning of Topolino or Μικυ Μαους. They are typically one page gags, and I'm sad to see they haven't been added into the USA releases. They're not usually anything special, but have nice artwork and a good joke sometimes. Of course, Silvia Ziche also illustrated some of the main stories, though she is not that prominent, at least to my knowledge. Here's an example of a one pager she's done:

gr_mmb_032p006_001.jpg&normalsize=1

Translation:

Minnie: "Sorry, have you seen my boyfriend, Mickey? He was here a minute ago! He was wearing the same clothes you're wearing, but without the mask..."
Mickey: (Oh how I love my secret identity!)

I do really love her artwork. She's like the Jennifer Hernandez (Archie Sonic artist) of Disney comics. Such cute designs! 

Edited by ElectricAngel
  • Thumbs Up 1

• 2 weeks later...

So this unexpectedly popped up on the PREVIEWSworld website!

Disney Princess #1

Disney's beloved heroines have returned in this hilarious collection of Disney Princess comic strips! Featuring laugh-out-loud stories from the worlds of Ariel, Belle, Rapunzel, Tiana, Cinderella, Aurora, and more, this charming new ongoing series will make all your royal dreams come true!

Writer/Artist: Amy Mebberson

Cover by Amy Mebberson:
STK695612.jpg

Release Date: Feb. 24, 2016
Price: $2.99
Pre-Order Code: DEC151425

This is a very pleasant surprise. I wasn't expecting a new series to be advanced solicited, let alone by Joe Books! Now, for those unaware, Amy Mebberson has her own weekly webcomic called Pocket Princesses. It's a really cute series that's about Disney princesses living together. Now, this comic will retain the drawing style (which I'm very pleased to see :D), however the stories will be independent, meaning they don't cross over. And from what I can tell on the cover, they'll be set in the movie locations. Pretty excited to see how it will go. And I'm also hoping this means we'll get news on the new Darkwing Duck comic in the coming months. Maybe even DuckTales?

Oh, well, speak of the devil.

Disney's DuckTales Cinestory Comic

Life is like a hurricane, here in Duckburg... and all Duckburg citizens are back, as Disney and Joe Books celebrate one of the most beloved and influential animated series of all time in this all new Cinestory! Join tycoon Scrooge McDuck, Huey, Dewey, and Louie, Launchpad McQuack, Gyro Gearloose, and all of your favorite denizens of Duckburg as they hunt for ancient treasures, battle giant robots, and turn messes into successes!

Cover by Heidi Roux:
STK695609.jpg

Release Date: Feb. 24, 2016
Price: $29.99
Pre-Order Code: DEC151420

Now, Cinestories aren't something I usually include when posting solicits, as they are quite literally just screenshots of movies, or in this case cartoons, with speech bubbles. Very cheaply made, in my opinion. However, what did interest me was the cover for this one. I know it says "Not Final Art", but most Cinestories just have reused artwork and a little film reel at the bottom with screens of the film. For this cover however, they went all out and made a new art piece. And I think it looks fantastic. I'd probably buy this, but considering the hella expensive price point and how much of a pain it is to import items now, I think I'll hold off until I move to the States.