Awoo.

RUMOR: Insight on Diddy Kong Racing 2's past on Wii, and potential current existance on Wii U for 2015

Hero of Legend

I hope they buy the rights to the music and locations from the original, too. I want some retro tracks.

Most of all though, I want Drumstick.

I hope they buy the rights to the music and locations from the original, too. I want some retro tracks.

Most of all though, I want Drumstick.

Assuming they're doing anything, we don't know if its legit yet. But it'd be nice to have Retro Tracks.

This one is a must...

• Thumbs Up 2

Yeah, that song is the one that sticks out to me most! It's probably tied with Darkmoon Caverns as my favourite song from the game.

Here's one that I think is overlooked:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8QW1sWvSmFY

• Thumbs Up 1

Have Nintendo ever bought back characters in the past? I mean Geno is gone, so Nintendo doesn't really have a history of throwing big bucks where they aren't entirely necessary.

Still though, I hope this rumor is true! I have fond memories of racing my cousin back on the N64.

It's kind of surprising for me to hear about people actually caring about the characters who weren't named Diddy, Conker, or Banjo

It's kind of surprising for me to hear about people actually caring about the characters who weren't named Diddy, Conker, or Banjo

I don't particularly care for anyone from Diddy Kong Racing except (obviously) Diddy Kong himself, and Timber, since he's basically the second main protagonist of the game. I never cared for anything related to Conker, not the kiddy image he portrayed prior to Bad Fur Day, and not the mature image after that. Banjo, eh, kinda, he looks like an interesting character, but I never got to play the Banjo-Kazooie games so he doesn't phase me much either.

I'd much rather have a Diddy Kong Racing cast filled with existing DK characters and perhaps other Nintendo properties than with brand new characters that don't really affect much in the long run. Granted, I think they PLANNED to do things with the other characters and it just didn't work out.

It's worth mentioning that in the DS remake the only characters that were missing were Conker and Banjo (replaced by Tiny and Dixie.)

It's worth mentioning that in the DS remake the only characters that were missing were Conker and Banjo (replaced by Tiny and Dixie.)

Yes, but its also worth mentioning that all the rest of the characters were still owned by Rare. Only the Kongs and Krunch were owned by Nintendo. Rare didn't even have to replace Conker and Banjo because they were allowed to develop the game since it was a Nintendo handheld.

The copyright info on the back of the box says something to the effect of "certain characters owned by Rare Ltd." 

I remember Rare's Scribes one time mentioned something about complicated legal matters keeping Banjo and Conker out... No idea what those could be, but stipulations are weird like that. Rare's whole relationship with Nintendo handhelds after the MS buyout was kinda weird to begin with...  and Diddy Kong Racing DS musta been a huge legal mess, being a spinoff of a Nintendo IP starring a Nintendo character but also filled with Rare characters.

Honestly tho I'm not too fussed about any of the other racers really. I'd rather they bring back some lost DK Crew members and fill out the roster with lesser Nintendo stars as the rumor suggests. I'd love to see Banjo and Conker come back of course, but no way it'd happen.

• Thumbs Up 2

he copyright info on the back of the box says something to the effect of "certain characters owned by Rare Ltd." 

I remember Rare's Scribes one time mentioned something about complicated legal matters keeping Banjo and Conker out... No idea what those could be, but stipulations are weird like that. Rare's whole relationship with Nintendo handhelds after the MS buyout was kinda weird to begin with...  and Diddy Kong Racing DS musta been a huge legal mess, being a spinoff of a Nintendo IP starring a Nintendo character but also filled with Rare characters.

Honestly tho I'm not too fussed about any of the other racers really. I'd rather they bring back some lost DK Crew members and fill out the roster with lesser Nintendo stars as the rumor suggests. I'd love to see Banjo and Conker come back of course, but no way it'd happen.

This. This is EXACTLY what I want to see. The only returning DKR member I really care about is Timber, and only because of his importance to the original DKR. Bring back the Nintendo-owned ones, maybe Timber, and the rest? If they can get them, no big deal, but fill out the roster with DK characters that haven't appeared in a while and lesser-known Nintendo characters.

Heck, I wouldn't mind if they brought back Tricky as an Animal Buddy.

From the GAF thread:

I'm gonna have to finally come out and be "that guy" in this thread. 
Never thought this would be something I could say, but I have a line of communication with Monster, and while I can't confirm 100% it's DKR2, I can confirm, perhaps well outside my comfort level, that they're working on something for the WiiU that is pretty much talked about by everyone involved as the most exciting thing to be done on WiiU yet, and that they are certain it's going to blow people away upon reveal.
I genuinely wasn't told details because while I may want to know, I don't trust myself with that much knowledge, so it's likely best they didn't either.

I know it's not cool to spread rumors but... I WANNA BELIEVE! T_T

As long as we get Chunky and Lanky in go-karts, I'm happy.

Seriously. Chunky so big. And Lanky's arms steering seem hilarious. Or make him race with his feet.

• Thumbs Up 1

I still want to know what happened to Conker to turn him from the happy-g--lucky squirrel in Diddy Kong Racing to the violent, foul-mouthed, alcoholic asshole from Conker's Bad Fur Day. Maybe this sequel will document the time period in between Diddy Kong Racing and Conker's Bad Fur Day in which he started spiralling into depression after failing to win a race, eventually turning to alcohol to drown his sorrows and ease the pain of his wretched, meaningless life.

If they were asking for characters, I'm sure Banjo and Conker are excluded. Seems more to me they'd be asking for the characters that were pretty much only in DKR. They own Krunch (because Kremling), but they don't own Pipsy, Tiptup, Timber, Bumper, Drumstick, etc.

The DKR characters I'd want back most are Banjo and Conker, but that doesn't seem likely. But I can't give up hope! Ever!

Timber is cool, too, so I'd love to see him back. I also like the idea of lesser known Nintendo characters like Dillon, Mallo and Rusty.

That said, I don't actually believe this rumour.

• 8 months later...

Hunh, well I just refound this by accident, and well Hey, I'm still hopeful, and Nintendo always has a trick up its sleeve and could use another big announcement for E3 and this would do the trick

I lost hope for this after Nintendo confirmed Monster were entirely responsible for porting Xenoblade 3D.

Xenoblade is a huge project compared to most ports, it's extremely doubtful that a relatively small developer would be working on both that and DKR2 at the same time.

Seething this near the top of Computer Games got me excited that there might be an update. Fuck you guys.

• Thumbs Up 4

I lost hope for this after Nintendo confirmed Monster were entirely responsible for porting Xenoblade 3D.

Xenoblade is a huge project compared to most ports, it's extremely doubtful that a relatively small developer would be working on both that and DKR2 at the same time.

Not really, working on a port is mainly the code team, its not like making something from scratch, you've got all the base materials, you're just altering them for the most part

Not really, working on a port is mainly the code team, its not like making something from scratch, you've got all the base materials, you're just altering them for the most part

Like I said Monster is not a big dev team, the reason they always do collabs is because they probably don't have enough members to carry a project themselves which is why they're working on a port.

And since it's a downport which is considerably harder work than an up-port and will require building some assets from scratch as many things can't be successfully downported (this is why downporting is famously more difficult than up-porting), it very likely is taking their whole development team to do it. I don't think Monster is so big that they have multiple teams to begin with, let alone enough programmers to split between two important projects, one of which is solely them.

Like I said Monster is not a big dev team, the reason they always do collabs is because they probably don't have enough members to carry a project themselves which is why they're working on a port.

And since it's a downport which is considerably harder work than an up-port and will require building some assets from scratch as many things can't be successfully downported (this is why downporting is famously more difficult than up-porting), it very likely is taking their whole development team to do it. I don't think Monster is so big that they have multiple teams to begin with, let alone enough programmers to split between two important projects, one of which is solely them.

I thought Monster was bigger than that, but according to LinkedIn they've only got about 11-50 employees, so yes, you're probably right.

Frankly due to various odd factors I do think DKR for either Wii U or 3DS is fairly likely, but it need not be Monster developing the game. That's just what the rumors indicated. However, no new DK stages in Mario Kart and continued lack of Diddy Kong even in the DLC does really strike me as quite odd, as if they're purposely not including Diddy Kong and additional DK content for some reason; which could be explained by them wanting to continue Diddy Kong Racing.

Yeah on top of what I said before I'd like to add that I don't exactly think DKR2 is impossible nor am I saying it 100% isn't happening right now but..

In light of the Monster situation I went from being pretty invested in believing this possibility, to being pretty sure it's just another rumour like the countless "rumours" made for attention that appear on /v/ every day. I no longer believe in this rumour at all and now it just sounds about as "fans spreading hoaxes of cool ideas and calling them leaks just because they want it to happen" than anything that's legitimately leaked.

Monster's current project being a mystery + everything else in this rumour conveniently worked alongside each other to make the rumour believable and they no longer do.

I'd love to be wrong, but this just feels like wishful thinking now.