Awoo.

Tembo the Badass Elephant (PC, XB1, PS4)

FourCartridge

Some of you may have been aware of a SEGA/Game Freak Collab that had been making the rounds, sparking loads of conversation. Sonic in Pokemon? Pokemon in Sonic? SEGA going deeper with Nintendo? Who knew.

Today, we finally have light of the result.

pokemon_macherentwickelntembo_1407374b.p

Tembo The Badass Elephant! And yes that is the title.

The game has you play as a commando elephant as you Rambo it up against a terrorist organization 80's action style with sprinklings of 16-bit run & gun platformers. The game will come out on PS4, XB1, & PC (ports to other platforms are not on the cards; To quote a Game Freak employee, "our hands were pretty full with those three platforms!")

The reveal interview for those interested. 

As for me? Count me in; I've been aching for more 16-bit goodness, specially after Mercenary Kings was somewhat of a dud.

• Thumbs Up 1

I'm pretty dang excited for this game. I just adore wacky, over the top games like this. It looks great, the Humor/concept is awesome and the Gameplay seems pretty nuts and fun - it just seems like a really fun time waster, I can dig it. :D

• Thumbs Up 1

Everyone on NL is acting like this is the end of GF's credibility. >_> Although they are a nintendo focused site so having this appearing on non-nintendo systems would always cause a reaction like this, no matter how good the game looks. I can understand though; iirc ps4 and xbox are basically pc's in game development terms and that would make porting to the Wii U trickier.

It looks quite intriguing, so happy that 16-bit styled games are coming up more than 8-bit games anyway.

Everyone on NL is acting like this is the end of GF's credibility. >_> Although they are a nintendo focused site so having this appearing on non-nintendo systems would always cause a reaction like this, no matter how good the game looks. I can understand though; iirc ps4 and xbox are basically pc's in game development terms and that would make porting to the Wii U trickier.

It looks quite intriguing, so happy that 16-bit styled games are coming up more than 8-bit games anyway.

The Wii-u supports C++ and most game engines, porting isn't that hard

I thought Tembo uses Unity? That seriously comes with the Wii U SDK. Anyway, I'm sure this was more of a SEGA decision than a GameFreak one. Though who really cares if Nintendo platforms don't get one GameFreak game when they have THE GameFreak game. Spread the fun man, Pokemon's going nowhere.

• Thumbs Up 1

The Wii-u supports C++ and most game engines, porting isn't that hard

Except it kind of is. PS4/XB1/PC are all X86 architecture, while Wii U is PowerPC like the last gen consoles. It's not coming to last gen either so it sounds to me like they just wanted to do straight ports to PS4/XB1 since it's a lot easier to do so than porting to another architecture. After the whole exclusive Sonic deal (despite that being SEGA's fault), they probably don't have much faith in the Wii U anymore either (which would be silly given how they blew all three chances they had).

Still, I can understand why people are upset, but at the same time, Gamefreak don't deserve the flak they are getting for this.

• Thumbs Up 1

While SSMB was stuck through time and space, Sega and Game Freak teamed up to make a game!

Announcing TEMBO THE BADASS ELEPHANT for Xbox One, PlayStation 4, and Windows PC as a digital download on each platform.

Part Commando. All Elephant. TEMBO THE BADASS ELEPHANT is a larger than life, 2D side-scrolling action adventure from the creative geniuses behind the Pokémon games, coming in Summer 2015.

Shell City is plunged into a state of emergency after coming under attack from the devastating forces of PHANTOM, led by a mysterious masked commander. Terrifying war machines emblazoned with skulls tear through the city leaving a trail of destruction in their wake! As the National Army struggles to contain PHANTOM, General Krenman sees the mammoth task at hand and calls upon the only thing that stands between Shell City’s obliteration and its salvation; the peanut chompin’, villain stompin’, PHANTOM romping BADASS Elephantidae…TEMBO THE BADASS ELEPHANT!

HRRAAANNHH!!!!!!!! (Is the last thing those PHANTOM goons will hear…)

Aided by his faithful avian companion Picolo, it’s up to TEMBO to jump, smash, punch, swing and butt stomp his way through the PHANTOM hordes as he aims to bring about the end of their tyrannical onslaught. Featuring 17 cleverly designed 2D side-scrolling levels, a whole host of deadly enemies and unique comic book style art, TEMBO THE BADASS ELEPHANT is the heaviest action adventure of the year…weighing in at about seven and a half tons of fun.

We’re delighted to be working with Game Freak to bring this heavyweight adventure to an audience we feel it will have relephants to,” said John Clark, the Senior Vice President of Commercial Publishing for SEGA Europe. “It’s a trunkful of fun and we think gamers are going to love it. Hopefully more than my rubbish elephant puns. ”

KHD8lGg.jpg

PcCEkn3.jpg

KGqxwo2.jpg

I think it's cool Game Freak is involved in this. Though the game is giving me a lot of Hell Yeah! vibes and while that was an ok game, it didn't really caught my attention.

What do you guys think?

• Thumbs Up 3

It's looking, okay, I guess? It's not really gripping me. It's a bit tryhard. Like, it's trying too hard to be something you don't take seriously. 

• Thumbs Up 1

This is the one where GameFreak's official explanation for why it's not on Wii U is "we drew up a concept poster and just put X1, PS4, and PC at the bottom, and it looked good so we stuck with it," right?

• 2 months later...

I think it says a lot about the current state and identity of the Sonic series that it's starting to draw comparisons to completely unrelated gameplay styles now.

• Thumbs Up 1

• 1 month later...

So did anyone else know that this game was out next week?

Only learned today because of SEGA's official Facebook account. That's it. I'm not picking up the game, but the lack of advertising for the game is a bit sad. (I mean, there has to be some way to really expose your digital game in a big way).

• Thumbs Up 1

It doesn't really catch my attention. There isn't much here that stands out to me to make it seem interesting or different enough for a purchase. It seems like it's blowing the commando/elephant thing to a proportion of making it so ridiculous that it sells.

The Steam launch has been a real f-up and I was pissed when I FINALLY got the game running (due to a bad executable) only to get two levels in and find it's a demo and I paid for it! I'll wait for a little bit, but then I'm gonna refund it and buy it on XB1 if it's not fixed in a few hours.

The Steam launch has been a real f-up and I was pissed when I FINALLY got the game running (due to a bad executable) only to get two levels in and find it's a demo and I paid for it! I'll wait for a little bit, but then I'm gonna refund it and buy it on XB1 if it's not fixed in a few hours.

I already mentioned that demo was released by accident and not the full game. Plus, they said they're working on it.

I've bought this partly because I liked what I played at Momocon near the end of May, but moreso because I want to support SEGA publishing quirky games for consoles. It's a shame they've barely advertised this title, the reviews seem generally favorable so it's not like they were slipping out a junker. It feels like a similar situation to Heroki on iOS devices, where it was a promising looking game that just kinda came out with barely anyone noticing. 

That said, shame about the initial botched Steam launch. PS4 version also had a launch issue, with a much higher asking price than was intended. That's fixed now, too. 

Just got this on my PS4, and I've personally been loving it. It's too bad that it hasn't gotten much promotion and had those launch issues and everything, because this really is an awesome game with a great sense of flow to it.

It's a real shame GameFreak is branching out, and unfortunately the ended up with SEGA's usual poor handling of titles.