Awoo.

Sonic Runners (iOS/Android) - Thread Version 2.0

Cola

Welp this is sad... All those rare characters like Blaze I got wasted on a soon-to-be-dead-game... This why you can never trust online only games to last or should you put much worth in them, not that I am surprised about this game doing that. Game could had been so much more... Ohwell. :/

This was my goto thing when I was a bit down(gamewise not lifewise cmon). Now I'm gonna have to find something else. I'm pretty sure that it was already a failure and that they didn't have ad support contributed to this.

download.jpg

2 minutes ago, flaresakithasol said:

This was my goto thing when I was a bit down(gamewise not lifewise cmon). Now I'm gonna have to find something else. I'm pretty sure that it was already a failure and that they didn't have ad support contributed to this.

download.jpg

This is exactly what I'm feeling now. 

This game is like the best mobile game i had. I have never gave another game this much attention. This is a game that i could play for short bursts per day, thanks to timed mode. 

I kind of want it to continue as a fan made game now. 

It's not impossible. Maplestory had tons of private servers, so does agar.io

and i have a slightly old copy of ver 2.0.1 or 2.0.2. Forgot which

Re-downloading Runners just to have a taste of it one more time before its gone forever.  Man, the end of an era.

EDIT

And I remember why I deleted it. The need for it to be online constantly and no reliable method of saving progress to your iTunes/Google account really bog an otherwise great 2D auto runner.

If Sonic Team refuses to create an offline version (where it doesn't slow down constantly and glitch out in-game), then good riddance.

Oh damn, and I just got my chemistry teacher into the game. No joke. I'm shockingly bummed about it a mobile game going kaput, this was legitimately my favorite mobile game (other than the bullshit pay to play system, the gameplay is what I loved most). Why can't they just change it so that it's not dependent on online connection to play so they don't have to pay for servers? I personally only care about beating my own score and not those who have billions more points than mine.

40 minutes ago, flaresakithasol said:

So does anyone know a person that could recreate the servers 

Sadly anyone who could would probably be all "pshh, I'm not doing that for a f2p app store, just go back to angry birds you pleb B)" or something if they were asked to.

Honestly I'd rather a fangame that recreates Runners from the ground up (or make a similar type of game), but without the ads, roulette wheels and with the ability to pick whatever level you want (including the special themed holiday levels). 

• Thumbs Up 4

19 minutes ago, Indigo Rush said:

Honestly I'd rather a fangame that recreates Runners from the ground up (or make a similar type of game), but without the ads, roulette wheels and with the ability to pick whatever level you want (including the special themed holiday levels). 

Exactly what I said should happen like half a year ago now... Kinda surprised no has done it yet, or a good job of it yet at least.

So... how long before we get messages from people saying "I SPENT ALL THIS MONEY!" and demanding refunds?

• Thumbs Up 4

2 minutes ago, Indigo Rush said:

Well.

Sonic Dash is better.

Fixed it for ya, m8

13 minutes ago, sansy said:

Fixed it for ya, m8

Well Dash 2 certainly doesn't bog everything down with forced online refreshing, so it has that over Runners, yeah. 

I'd like a Dash 3, tbh. Maybe I'll draft an idea for funsies.

• Thumbs Up 2

3 minutes ago, Indigo Rush said:

Well Dash 2 certainly doesn't bog everything down with forced online refreshing, so it has that over Runners, yeah. 

I'd like a Dash 3, tbh. Maybe I'll draft an idea for funsies.

I shall expect all lot of development hell 

Spoiler

and unintentional references to other games, you know what I mean.

It’s a shame that probably no effort will be made to preserve the game in an offline state for the ages, but at least we got a soundtrack release and (as far as I’m aware) no new tunes were made for it following Volume 2 (that would’ve been unlikely to ever get official release due to there not being enough to make a Volume 3 worthwhile etc).

I tried it and didn’t care for it though I have to say, so no tears shed here. Just can’t get into endless runners, don’t find the “play until you lose” model satisfying for the platformer genre whatsoever.

It's been a year or so, has no one found out how to make a playable apk of the game that doesn't require a server connection? We've got some kickass technical talent in the fanbase, it actually might not be too far from possible.

So....... SONIC RUNNERS NOT OK?

• Thumbs Up 2

I didn't expect the game to last long, so I'm not really surprised. But I will say Sega is pulling the game a lot sooner than I anticipated.

Runners had the CAN/JP soft launch in February last year and officially launched worldwide in June later that year. When it goes offline in July, that will mark the game being live for only 17 months since soft launch, and 13 months since the worldwide launch.

For comparison's sake, Hardlight's Jump and Dash have been out for three-four years now, and are still available (and got their own sequels/spinoffs; Jump Fever and Dash 2: Sonic Boom). Kinda puts into perspective how hard Sonic Team dropped the ball with this game. They had an established mobile market that had proved itself to be receptive towards mobile Sonic games and endless 2D runners; yet their attempt to hit the sweet spot of both worlds with a Sonic-themed endless 2D runner turned out to be a half-baked dud.

34 minutes ago, Detective Shadzter said:

So....... SONIC RUNNERS NOT OK?

More like SONIC RUNNERS KO.

• Thumbs Up 2

Sonic Runners is closing? I feel kinda sad now.

The gameplay and the artstyle was cool (It's what made me do some fan art of it last year!) What really killed it for me was the lag, and the roulette wheel. Also, it drained the tablet battery.

I just realised we won't be able to see some of these being used:

latest?cb=20150305092251 latest?cb=20150425224048 latest?cb=20150425224303 latest?cb=20150311142245 latest?cb=20150305094435

There's some more unused stuff here: http://sonic.wikia.com/wiki/Sonic_Runners/Gallery

• Thumbs Up 2

Aww man! I just got my nephew to download the game a couple of weeks ago, now he might be disappointed.

Plus I'm about 1 day away from getting up to a 50 day streak and starting to rake in the RSR and being able to limit break Charmy. Guess it's my fault I didn't get into it earlier and get more enjoyment out of it. I suppose now I'll wait and see if Pokemon Go ends up being good enough to be my new mobile game obsession.

I know that sonic runners is closing but wait? None of players got Merlina on level 10 none of players got Carbuncle on level 10 none of players got Rappy on level 10 none of players got Nightopian on level 10 none of players got Erazor Djinn on level 10 none of players got RC Moon Mech on level 10 none of players got Kuna on level 10 none of players got Mother Wisp on level 10 none of players got NiGHTS on level 10 none of players got Reala on level 10 none of players got Christmas Sonic on 10 stars none of players got Christmas Tails on 10 stars none of players got Christmas Knuckles on 10 stars none of players got Halloween Shadow on 10 stars none of players got Halloween Rouge on 10 stars none of players got Halloween Omega none of players got Amitie-Style Amy on 10 stars none of players got Gothic Amy on 10 stars.
I kinda sad of the sonic runners is getting close on July 27   

Say what you will about Sonic Runners, but it had a huge amount of content and fanservice and brought back so many playable characters. Big has not been playable since All-Stars Racing (2010), Omega since Chronicles (2008) and Charmy was last playable in Heroes (2003!), and now it's all being undone again. While I've stopped playing this a month ago when I realized saving up 3000 Red Star Rings was for nothing, I'm sad to lose the only mobile game where I can play as my favourite character.

Look at the Hardlight games. Sonic Jump and Jump Fever both received like two or three content updates before being abandoned for not being successful enough, leaving three unused characters in the files (Shadow, Cream, Vector for Jump/Rouge, Cream, Vector for Jump Fever), and while Dash as the first F2P Sonic game has become a huge success, it has barely gotten any support since 2014, despite that game's characters being simple reskins many of whom straight out copy Sonic's running animation. Runners had like ten times the content, although it's probably Sega's fault for not allowing Hardlight to do more.

It's strange why they couldn't just modify the game to remove the online servers along with Runners' League, so at least not all the content would be gone. But with Sega's recent mobile focus, I guess this was Sonic Team's first experiment on mobile and sooner or later, they'll have to relaunch a new, (hopefully) more polished and stable game probably using assets from Runners, one that stays good even after its soft launch. Just, for the love of god, please hire a new monetizing expert, because which rational human being would honestly think implementing instant death zones into the game will cause players to spend lots of money?!

Sega seems to think just launching any new Sonic mobile game will result in an enormous success, when the reality is the App Store/Play Store was not nearly as crowded in 2013 when Dash launched as it is right now. And it's not gonna get any easier for them with Nintendo joining in, so they might want to rethink their strategy of deeming everything that isn't Dash 1 a failure..

oh shit waddup boi!

Looks like Sonic Paradise wants people who still have their data of Runners in hopes of getting an offline version of it.

Here's what you hardcore Runners madmen  people need to do!

Spoiler

CjfXVOOWgAInA7u.jpg

• Thumbs Up 2