Awoo.

Fire Emblem Fates: Birthright / Conquest

Jin.

Supports have been part of the series for almost 10 years. Awakening just made them simple.

Okay, forget Hiroka.

tumblr_nontzdrPbf1u8e3p3o1_540.png

I'm taking that dark skinned Mace wielding chic as by bride to be instead first time around, she's a new class called a Oni apparently.

Damn, Hoshido may be the more casual side, but it has the cooler units.

I still don't think there will be many, if any exclusive units. The second trailer and articles that came out after that indicated all characters will be available on both sides. There was only one statement which indicated there were exclusive units, so my bet is that Famitsu doesn't know everything, and most of the units will join you later, they just won't join as soon as they do on one side or the other.

I still don't think there will be many, if any exclusive units. The second trailer and articles that came out after that indicated all characters will be available on both sides.

Sounds like the choice between the two sides has basically no consequences if they all join you in the end anyway.

Sounds like the choice between the two sides has basically no consequences if they all join you in the end anyway.

Well, the story you play is different, and the Nohr side is more difficult than the Hoshido side. It has more complicated mission objectives and no ability to grind on a world map.

They've basically said that each side is its own game. 

Supports have been part of the series for almost 10 years. Awakening just made them simple.

That's not what I'm talking about. Supports were around, yes, and sometimes it would lead to marriage in an epilogue or something, but it was never an advertised feature, or focus of the game with actual consequences like it was in Awakening. 

Supports are a given in this series, but it feels like people largely expect this game to have gratuitous romance just because the last game did.

I'm not looking forward to the discussion following this game if people are already talking about wanting to make the main character bone their sister.

The difference is how they join and when. Its more about the storyline and structure than about the characters, and even then, the characterization will be totally different depending on which path you pick. You're going to disappoint so many people on the path and have to convince them to join you again. I'd bet that whoever is on the opposing side is much, much harder to recruit (except the little sisters; I think they'll join easily).

Translated interview:

http://nintendoeverything.com/more-fire-emblem-if-details-from-famitsus-full-interview-with-the-dev-team/

Well, Serenes Forest has a lot more info:

http://serenesforest.net/2015/05/25/fire-emblem-famitsu-full-interview/

Some interesting notes -

Phoenix Mode:

– Phoenix Mode is designed for newcomers; not existing Fire Emblem fans
– Although it sounds like you cannot lose on this mode, there are times when you still have to play somewhat carefully
– Ex: there may be complicated victory conditions, such as reaching a destination within a certain number of turns in the Nohr campaign; failing these conditions means Game Over

Weapon changes:

– When development began, one of the major challenges was to find ways to help newcomers enjoy the game without feeling too stressful
– One thing that came to mind was the timing of when to use valuable weapons (eg. saving them for a future mission)
– It was perceived that this form of intense micro-management was too much for newcomers to properly enjoy
– Since some players may consider it wasteful to use a particular weapon, they may end up not using it at all; at which point it’s as if the weapon doesn’t exist
– By removing the durability of weapons and giving them more interesting properties, it allows for more enjoyable play, without detracting from the fun of picking weapons
– Weapon weight isn’t in, but there are “strong weapons that are harder to double attack with”, which functions a bit like it
– Javelins and similar ranged weapons can no longer double attack

About the world:

– This game takes place in a “completely new world”
– Some familiar elements that those who played Awakening will appreciate
– Hoshido is based on ancient Japanese culture, while Nohr is built on the series’s traditional Western fantasy setting
– Nohr is western-themed, but also carries a dark atmosphere
– Nohr’s castle even stands in the middle of a giant hole in the ground
– Hoshido is a pacifist kingdom with exceptional peace and order
– In contrast, Nohr is subject to terrible weather conditions, leading to poor crop yields and a lack of law and order
– In order to expand Nohr’s influence, King Garon orders his children to invade Hoshido
– Thus the royal siblings fight for Nohr, although they each harbour their own hidden thoughts
– Meanwhile the Hoshidan royals take up arms to repel the Nohrian invasion

Calling it now, Garon is going to be more like Travant. His primary intention will be the betterment of Nohr regardless of how he is seen.

No Pegasus Knights, no longer gender exclusive:

– Although Pegasus Knights have been in the series so far, they technically do not exist in this game.
– If instead features Hoshido’s very similar “Pegasus Warrior” class
– Pegasus Warriors can be male or female

I heard somewhere else that Pegasus Warrior can also use Bows. Looking for this now.

Correction, Pegasus Warrior is a TIER 1 CLASS (from the original Serenes Forest article)! That means THREE of the Hoshido nobles are Tier 1 classes. When promoted, Pegasus Warrior can use Bows.

But unlike the female-only Pegasus Knights of yore, these Pegasus Warriors can be male or female. After promoting, they can wield Bows in addition to Lances.

Correction: Pegasus Warrior is not a promoted class. I didn’t take into account that “Class Change” can refer to reclassing and not just promoting.

EDIT:

Did some more digging in a forum thread.

http://serenesforest.net/forums/index.php?showtopic=53963&page=10#entry3779160

--Do the classes that appear in each version differ? *NEW*

Maeda: Because of the cultural differences, different classes are attached to the different games, and so the classes of units that can become allies differ. In "Nohr", there are "Cavaliers," the same class that appears in previous entries in the series along with many others from before. In "Hoshido," there are "Samurai" and other Japanese style classes prepared. The weapons that can be used also differ by game. For example, in "Nohr," there is the usual "sword," but in "Hoshido," the "katana" appears, which has slightly different basic abilities.

Yokota: They were already shown in the promotional movie, but in this game there are not just Pegasus Knights, but a class named "Pegasus Warriors." It was a rule that all Pegasus Knights in previous entries be female, but both male and female units can class change to Pegasus Warriors in this game. Also, Pegasus Warriors are an advanced class that are "flying units that can use bows."

I'm really confused at this point. The previous interview/article stated Pegasus Knights don't exist, now this part states that Pegasus Knights and Warriors are different classes.

Translations really are difficult to deal with...

tumblr_noxljw4nLU1r1alb2o1_1280.jpg

So, basically...

Yeah pretty much.

EDIT:

– Hoshido is a pacifist kingdom with exceptional peace and order

– In contrast, Nohr is subject to terrible weather conditions, leading to poor crop yields and a lack of law and order

– In order to expand Nohr’s influence, King Garon orders his children to invade Hoshido

Not only does #2 give me huge Thracia vibes, the whole thing reminds me of something....

http://fireemblem.wikia.com/wiki/Ashera

Yeah, I definitely think this "black and white" morality is going to be turned completely upside down over the course of the game.

White, Good, Peace, Order.

Black, Evil, Warring, Chaos.

This is Fire Emblem. YOU CANNOT FOOL ME, INTELLIGENT SYSTEMS!

Those damn gaijin declaring war on glorious Nippon just because they're jealous.

Actually Nohr is starting to remind me of the Valuan Empire from Skies of Arcadia. 

• Thumbs Up 1

Fucking day 1 purchase here

CGVAxm5XIAEDDkZ.png

DAY ONE PURCHASE

Looking at this I can also say with nearly 100% that Awakening-esque supports are back

lol Solkia won't like this. XD;;

I mean, besides the weird Fire Emblem Amie and hot springs stuff it's looking damn solid. Maybe even better than Awakening.

• Thumbs Up 2

lol Solkia won't like this. XD;;

I mean, besides the weird Fire Emblem Amie and hot springs stuff it's looking damn solid. Maybe even better than Awakening.

The waifu slut prince and the tactician in me are being spoiled so hard by nintendo that i can't not love this

Actually I...think I might be warming up to the whole Amie angle in FE If. I'd like to stroke my favourite character's face and make them feel so happy and loved. It's cute.

..What's wrong with me?

• Thumbs Up 1

Actually I...think I might be warming up to the whole Amie angle in FE If. I'd like to stroke my favourite character's face and make them feel so happy and loved. It's cute.

..What's wrong with me?

• Thumbs Up 1

>Jin's Waifu Kingdom was real all along

I can't see myself using the waifu-amie feature very much because that shit's just kinda weird but I like the idea of having your own base you can customize. Also it probably means supports are back which is a huge yaaas.

• Thumbs Up 1

Oh god, what even is this game

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Oh god, what even is this game

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Thumbs Up 1

Well, at least the base mode looks kinda neat.

And the game has Amiibo support.

9HAcThJ.png

Good old Ike. I'm glad I can use him and the Marth amiibo for something other than Codename STEAM. 

• Thumbs Up 4

Well, at least the base mode looks kinda neat.

And the game has Amiibo support.

9HAcThJ.png

Good old Ike. I'm glad I can use him and the Marth amiibo for something other than Codename STEAM. 

If any of those Amiibos were possible to find I'd be kind of interested

I like the new artwork for Marth and Ike

I pretty much knew they would be supported. Frankly, I think they'll do a whole line of Fire Emblem Amiibo, and that might be one reason they're hesitant to release too many of the Smash ones.

Moar translations.

mikoto.png?w=545&h=360

Mikoto Profile:

The peace loving Queen who rules the Kingdom of Hoshido. The birth mother of the protagonist. She found herself as the crown monarch following her late husband Sumeragi’s unexpected death.

nix.jpg?w=545&h=322

Nix Profile:

Starting Class: Dark Mage

A shaman who lives in the Kingdom of Nohr. Contrary to her appearance of a young girl, she is incredibly mature. Though she is an incredibly talented shaman, she lives a quiet life as a fortune teller despite being within an unstable society.

20yHwBz.jpg

Charlotte Profile:

Starting Class: Axe Fighter

A mercenary of the border of the Kingdom of Nohr.

She can be seen as a truly kind girl by anyone who talks to her, but this is just a play to get any man under her control. Her true nature is that of a strong yet crude hand to hand fighter. She dreams of marrying into high wealth and social status.

benoit.jpg?w=545&h=322

Benoit Profile:

Starting Class: Knight

A mercenary of the border of the Kingdom of Nohr. The same as Charlotte.

He is a great man with a scary face that both his allies and enemies fear. However, he is nice inside and always thinking of his comrades. He carries a homemade charm with him into battle.

• Thumbs Up 2