Awoo.

The 52 Game Challenge 2015

Tracker_TD

Staying at my bro's for the week so how better to spend my time than...

11754942_10203508564588824_4294840684341

Portal 2 (PS3)

This game just ticks all the good boxes. Great gameplay, fun characters, interesting world and everything else you can think of. I am a huge Wheatley fan, love the guy so much in this game. What else can be said except...SPAAAAAAACEE!!!!

Entry 16: Pokemon Omega Ruby

It was ...okay. The whole game was a very nostalgic experience for me, as I hadn´t played the original gba Ruby in years because the cartridge stopped working for some reason. I can´t believe I was able to remember almost everything in detail.

But...that´s it. Really. I was very dissapointed with the difficulty and with some changes made in the level design (like Mauville City). That´s why I went through the game as fast as possible.

I´ll try to do the Delta episode, but eeeeh

WP_000182.thumb.jpg.607f397cc825b621f8f4

Edited by Ristar

Updated (Curse you JaydinReiman, that went longer than I expected, you'll get tummy aches all day for this. By the way, if you have any doubt feel free to contact me) and another game joins my list, after I called for help in the most over-the-top way possible.

Elite Beat Agents (Nintendo DS, Nintendo) a game I'm very attached to, since I played this rhythm game and its Japanese counterparts (Osu!Tatakae! Ouendan!!!) during my late teenage years non-stop.

1IVXqkM.jpg

As Always, if I made a mistake don't hesitate to point that out.

Edited by Naldush Repulsa

Updated (Curse you JaydinReiman, that went longer than I expected, you'll get tummy aches all day for this. By the way, if you have any doubt feel free to contact me) and another game joins my list, after I called for help in the most over-the-top way possible.

Elite Beat Agents (Nintendo DS, Nintendo) a game I'm very attached to, since I played this rhythm game and its Japanese counterparts (Osu!Tatakae! Ouendan!!!) during my late teenage years non-stop.

Hidden Content

As Always, if I made a mistake don't hesitate to point that out.

Sorry... it won't happen again because now I'll update everything more often.

• Thumbs Up 1

This will be a mess since I'm on Vacation and using a tablet

https://miiverse.nintendo.net/posts/AYMHAAACAAADVHkUG0CHNw

The Binding Of Isaac Rebirth (New Nintendo 3DS)

Quick impressions is "why the hell didn't I play this sooner?". It works great on the new 3ds, it's also funny that it's the first New 3dsl only title after Xenoblade. Anyway, back to killing mom more, unlocking characters, and eventually taking on Mega Satan.

Edited by Conando

Flame Over --- Vita --- 100%

This game is amazing, you play as Blaze, a London fireman who gets a call to an office building which is currently in a raging inferno. Your task is to rescue the trapped workers and the office cats as well as undergoing missions.

The game describes itself as a fireman rougelike, you will die, you will die a lot, but you can spend/purchase upgrades which aid you as well as buying powerups which aid your ability to fight fires. 

This game was so much fun, utterly loved it. Non Vita users, there is also a PC version on Steam and a possible PS4 version on the way.

I highly recommend this game.

And because I need more opportunities to post classic cartoons...

Up to 35 now

11800563_10203531591324478_6742286420805

Sonic the Hedgehog 4 Episode 2 (All Emeralds) (PS3)

This game is okay. Way better than Episode 1 but still lacks something. I'm going to say length, a good ending and a reason to collect Red Star Rings. So yeah, not bad but not great.

EDIT

To avoid double posting here is my next.

11217571_10203543297577127_1128456673114

Metal Gear Solid 4: Guns of the Patriots (PS3) 

A HIDEO KOJIMA GAME. What can I say, the ultimate story over gameplay experience. Man oh man what a large story too. To this day it still pains me to see Snake go through what he did. At least he had time to be himself. An interesting place to end the story, I hope Konami never touch Solid Snake again.

Edited by The Tenth Doctor

Updated! Tenth Doctor, for Sonic 4 Ep 2 to be considered 100%, you need to show me all trophies. If the game has no platinum trophy, use psnprofiles.com to help display proof.

I now have 50 games tracked now, so here are 49 and 50:

Splatoon

Published/Developed by Nintendo

Released on Wii U

-Any%

Proof:

4JMRdyb.jpg

I really like Splatoon. It's single-player is surprisingly strong and I still need to bring myself to play more multiplayer.

I've written a full review on my MeltingComet website, which you can see.

I think Nintendo has hit a gold mine with Splatoon. It’s just such a fun game and that’s backed up by how cool of a game it is. It has a really cool Japanese-like aesthetic to it, it’s single-player is fun itself, and it’s constant updates and new content will keep it’s fun multiplayer going for a long time. If you are picking up a Wii U, Splatoon is one of the many games you should get.

Pros: Fun gameplay, lots of content right now, solid single-player, good netcode, lots of personality

Cons: Map Rotation can be a double-edged sword, some missing online features hurt but are so minor it’s hard to really list it anything major

Do I recommend Splatoon? Yes.

And... Fallout: New Vegas

header.jpg?t=1379375668 

Published by Bethesda Softworks, Developed by Obsidian Entertainment

Released on: PC, Xbox 360, PS3

-Yes, I used mods in the game. The only mods I mainly used was Project Nevada (Which re-balanced certain things as well as added new gameplay elements), a ton of graphic enhancement mods, and the Afterschool Special mod that's a user-name quest.

-I sided with the NCR and did the NCR storyline

Proof:

gmckLy8.jpg

http://steamcommunity.com/id/MeltingComet/stats/Fallout:NewVegas

(Check Eureka, the finishing quest for the NCR Storyline)

Along with Splatoon, I did a psuedo Editorial/sort-of recommendation on Fallout: New Vegas. You can also view it on my site.

New Vegas has really stellar writing and there’s so many ways around problems and tasks the game throws at you. I spent the whole game being diplomatic, where I went as far as to help other factions so the relationship will allow for a truce/alliance between the two. It really did cater to me. While I’m normally brash in most video games, I like finding quicker, more peaceful ways around problems and the game reflected that. While the main quest arc (That’s basically the first few hours of the game) isn’t as large as the faction arcs that lead to the end, and those quests are dynamic and provide tons of ways to handle situations. Unfortunately, the game doesn’t allow you to continue after finishing, which while was a standard trope in most games around the time, hurts the game as a whole. I wanted to continue playing with all of the crazy gear I got from the final fight, but the game wants me to go back to where I last was instead. I leveled up twice during that time and I have to regrind that up if I continue to play again.

It’s gunplay is solid but my favorite camera view in these kind-of games, third person view, still feels botched. I haven’t played Fallout 3 to know how both perspectives play in that game, but I’ve noticed myself handling gunplay more poorly in third-person, and depending on V.A.T.S. more. Don’t get me wrong, it’s not that horrendous and V.A.T.S. is probably one of the most liked features in combat, but it makes me hope that Fallout 4 improves the gunplay for both perspectives.

The game is really ugly at this time in age, it definitely looks and feels like a 5+ year old game. While mods did help make the game more nice, character models feel way too off and the gun textures look so muddy. Fallout: New Vegas came out in the same year Assassin’s Creed: Brotherhood and Just Cause 2 did, and those games still hold up in some areas to this day. Fallout: New Vegas, doesn’t. I guess it’s because of the large world and how dry deserts always look. I dunno.

The game is also quite the buggy mess, and while there’s been plenty of patches, I’ve went as far as to the point where I installed a mod to prevent the console from disabling achievements so I could get out of a area I was trapped in. Of course, nobody cares about achievements, but I kinda do, :P

So here’s a recommendation for you, go play Fallout: New Vegas if you need a time-sinker during the summer. This sure sucked out about 3 weeks of my time.

So I did finish Splatoon singleplayer this year, I might as well post that!

Splatoon's singleplayer is short but sweet. Many of the scrolls are in easy to find or not too out of the way locations, but a few had me stumped for a while. All in all, the bosses were the most creative thing in this game, with each requiring different strategies to beat. The levels were creative as well, with many of them applying the mechanics of the game in new ways or intoducing new gimmicks, keeping the experience fresh for the duration of the adventure. The story's barely there, mostly in the sunken scrolls, but adds enough depth to the game for you to be able to care, but not be overly in your face for those who don't like story hogging up too much playtime (me, I like both pretty evenly, but I do prefer to have more meat to the gameplay than the story).

To prove I maxed out all the upgrades, here's my miiverse playjournal for it.

To prove I have all the sunken scrolls, here's the miiverse play journal for it.

I'm probably not gonna be able to post 52 entries, but I've finally gone and made the first step with my 1st entry.

Here comes another one.

3D Streets of Rage 2 (3DS, conversion by M2)

https://miiverse.nintendo.net/posts/AYMHAAACAAADVHkVDwTvMA

M2 knocks another 3D conversion out of the park, if there's one thing SEGA is doing right, it's picking them to do their 3D Classics line. There's 2 new difficulties on top of the existing ones, that are done before actually entering the game (Casual and Fists of Death Mode). Fists of Death mode is as hilarious as it sounds, everything dies in one punch and you unlock it by beating the game on the default settings.

Updated (Thanks Klonoa, you make the character you're named after justice)

Also added 3 games to my list:

SkullGirls (Steam, Lab Zero); Story mode beaten with every character I own in my version (that is, every character save Big Band, Squigly and, sigh, Eliza),as this pic of the character selection screen shows:

1z4T6Ah.jpg

Completa! is Italian for Completed!

A cast full of lovely ladies, like Valentine, sure to appeal to that ninja-nurse fetish some people have, and Cerebella, the grappler character I always search for in a fighting game roster, But my love is, unsurprisingly, Peacock. Oh boy, oh boy, oh boy.So much energy in her animations, and all the shout-outs to classic cartoons are too much for me! Out of this world!

Beowulf is cool too! He...he just doesn't have that...you know....je-ne-sais-quoi.

Golden Axe (Arcade, Sega)

aLGHIkO.jpg

I love Golden Axe. The Mega Drive version is a thing of beauty.So, since I had a free evening, I decided to give the Arcade version a shot. It's still a top-notch arcade beat 'em-up, but IT'S TOO DARN SHORT! Sure, I kinda died 17 times during the last level, but maybe that's the point...

NiGHTS into dreams....(Steam, Sega)

Oz7vQhj.jpg

Both Eliott and Claris stories beaten. 

Dare I say, at first I really didn't get what I was supposed to do. But once I found out how to beat the levels in the shortest time possible for me, it was a blast! I can see why this game has become a Sega classic!

• Thumbs Up 1

I actually remembered 2 games I've beaten from start to finish this year. These were a while back ago, but I did do them this year:

They are:

Ocarina of Time 3D (100%):

This is the game I've replayed the most, it's got the most "replay value" out of any game for me because I never tired of going through and doing the same things again, because it's just a consistently fun experience for me. Even the parts I don't like, such as the fishing, don't completely ruin the experience, since you just need the time and patience to do them. This game's not hard to complete, but can be tedious if you try to do it all in a session or two, so pacing yourself with this game and most other Zelda games is a good bet.

Ganondorf is a pretty hilariously easy boss battle in both phases. In his first phase, I use an empty bottle to fling back his attacks. In his second, I first use the Biggoron Sword, then I use the Master Sword since it's required to beat Ganon.

Proof:

All the gear!

All the items!

Majora's Mask 3D (100%):

I consider this game basically "Sidequests Done Right". Even though some of them border on fetch quests, they're usually short, not too hard, and unique in some way. And best of all, it's rewarding because you get the Fierce Deity Mask in the end, which makes the normally annoying-as-hell last boss a piece of cake. I will say though, while I agree with most of the changes to the game, the Gyorg second phase, the Twinmold Second Phase, and the Zoa part of the Moon were changes that I did not like, nor did I like not being able to shoot ice arrows anywhere in the Great Bay Temple. For me, completing this game was mostly easy, with some exceptions like the piece of heart you get for perfectly timing your button press to 10 seconds, which was made easier with the bunny hood mask. Majora's Mask makes me wish the bunny hood had made you walk faster in OoT3D too! Plus the touch screen stuff was improved for MM3D compared to OoT3D, so I actually appreciate MM3D from a technical standpoint more.

Proof:

All Masks

All the neccesary Gear (i did max out the fishing hole passes since then, if you need a screen of that I can take one.)

All Inventory Screen Items/Upgrades.

I disappear off the planet and now the site is all renovated and shiny and everything! I somehow managed to squeeze in some games in between sessions with a certain game (ermegerd Alexander Gordias is amazingly fun btw).

Higurashi Onikakushi (Steam) 100%

Amh1X9Fl.png

Not sure if visual novels count for this challenge, but I'm whatevs if it's not allowed. Some of the achievements are unlocked at the same time on the same day because I played through the game offline, so they all just booped at once when I logged in.

What to say about this interesting mystery/horror of a novel? If you're going into it expecting the same level of grotesque as the anime, you'll be sourly disappointed. Ryukishi wasn't kidding when he called his games sound novels. Most of the disturbing bits (as well as humorous) are told through text (doi!), sound and ambient background music. The beginning through middle chapters are slow paced and they play out more as a comedy stint, but once you hit that cotton drifting festival... whew. Things heat up quickly! You get to learn so much more about the characters and their unique motivations behind their actions (especially Keiichi's) here than in the anime. And now we play the waiting game for the sequels to hit Steam. :V

Gauntlet (Steam)

q96mE22l.jpgeuh4lMUl.jpg

I actually beat this game in January with some friends. Casual playthrough of the story and some of the challenge dungeons, so not 100% by any stretch. Highly recommend playing with people for the hijynx alone. This hilarious arcade had me in tears for most of my playtime. It's one big con is how short it is, and with that $20 pricetag, I'd suggest waiting to try it out during a Steam sale.

Ys: The Oath of Felghana (Steam)

9MN39D6l.jpgkco0i94l.jpg

Casual playthrough on normal. I got my booty handed to me on the final boss pfffff. Another great entry into the Ys series, it delivers everything I've come to expect from these games. Amazing soundtrack, challenging bosses, intense difficulty, and a combat system that meshes so well with the hard rock/metal vibes. It's almost like Dynasty Warriors meets platforming and I love it!

Here's one of my faves.

11863393_10203570313132499_3727795952472

Jurassic Park: Operation Genesis (PC) = 100%

If you played this, you know it's over when you get 5 stars. I have never got 5 stars before but I always adored this game. It just felt the most complete and best Jurassic Park game ever. Not to mention, play it on PC and you can add plenty of species. Take my game for example. After I got 5 stars, I added Indomnius Rex to my park. She killed my Sauropods and had to have my T-Rex take her down. Needless to say, she didn't like her experience. 

Updated, and once again a title joins my list:

Don't Look Back (Distractionware, Android)

A short yet intense (and free!) game for Android devices, telling the story of Orpheus, the Greek hero who went through Hell and back just to bring back to life his love, Eurydice. A funny little adventure with a happy ending, as the final screen shows.

fhYLPjv.jpg

Just kidding, there is no final screen. Once you return to the living world with the soul of your love, you're back to the beginning of the game, showing that everything you went through was just in your head, unable to accept the loss of a loved one.

Rinse and repeat.

Sound Shapes --- 100% PS4, PS3 & Vita (I played all 3 versions lol). 

I've been curious about this for a long time, thanks to PS+ I got to try it out and I really liked it.

Sound shapes is a simple platformer game which uses sound and music to add a new dimension to your platforming experience. Forget just using your eyes, you'll need to listen to the beat of the music in order to navigate the environment. Especially when you unlock the 'deathmode' challenges. 

I really can't fault this game, I liked the music, some of the stages were really fun to play and I never found myself hating the game or even disliking it.

Oh and it has cross buy and each has it's own trophy list which unlocks when you use a cloud save. Platinum in 4 seconds! HO HO!

Fixed Shade's error on Splatoon, and added Hogfather's entry. Keep it up yall!

• Thumbs Up 1

• 2 weeks later...

Time for the fourth game on my list:

Deadcore (PC, Steam, 100% of all collectibles in the Story mode):
Proof of my achievement.

This is an interesting game. It's a first-person shooter of sorts, but it focuses on getting through obstacle courses which have multiple paths, lasers, missile-launchers, and enemies. The game essentially seems build for speedrunning, you have a dash ability and there's even speedrun specific level challenges. Precision and accuracy are super important, and being as fast as you can and dying as few times as you can are the names of the game. The collectibles are Sparks (which unlock new paths), Tracks (New music for the speedrun mode), and Logs (some are developer logs, but most are in-game lore, which gets pretty interesting).

This game is actually pretty hard for someone that avoids playing anything requiring tons of precision, but getting all the upgrades (which I also did, as you can also see on my file screen) makes things a lot easier, especially later on. All in all, despite how much thisa game frustrated me, it actually challenged my skills and was rewarding and fun. The only thing I don't like are the enemy's movements and placement, because they aren't consistent/reliable- they're RNG Still, aside from that, this is a pretty solid game that I'd recommend to anyone that likes first-person games that are challenging.

Given I bloody started this topic I've not been too active in it.

Well I've been completing, behind the scenes! :P

10922733_988243921193800_716000640088765

First up, Metroid Fusion! My first playthrough; a really fun time, if a bit short; and not quite as good as Super Metroid. I have yet to try Zero Mission, one day perhaps. 

11350571_998173943534131_820799219379334

Splatatatatatatoon! The single player campaign was surprisingly good, I need to get the Amiibos one day...

11694777_1025364117481780_45070541677071

Why did I beat this game? Just Cause... 2! One of my favourite games, it's just so much fun slinging yourself everywhere and blowing shit to pieces. JC3 is going to be goddamn insane, and I cannot wait. 

11855904_1039494579402067_65650249172331

House of the Dead 3 got a Windows port, and nobody told until last week. I've played it quite a lot, including a straight run-through. Incredibly good fun here. 

11863326_1041917182493140_44109007487601

Hilariously bad picture quality, but I beat 3D Gunstar Heroes on 3DS today. In short; GET IN MY TOP 5 MEGA DRIVE GAMES. The challenge is just right, the game is fast and fun, and it looks and runs beautifully. Goddamn, I had a blast with this one, I fully recommend it.

That's me done for now, later. 

• Thumbs Up 2

Entry 17: Megaman Zero

69AxqvD.jpg

lmao did you think i was done playing megaman game-*is banned from this topic*

So...Megaman Zero. 

It was challenging, which is one thing I really appreciate in a Megaman game . This time, the bosses have a double health bar, so it takes much more time to defeat them, making skill a very important factor in this game. But to be honest, the game is not THAT hard. You can defeat the bosses easily with the minimal bar since their pattern is easily predictable. It gets harder around the end, though. I had a lot of trouble with X's Guardians, specially Fafnir. If you get stuck I'd recommend getting a few Vitalities, but NOT the double health bar, because it makes the game waaay too easy, and the challenge is lost.

Since most of the game consists in going through missions, the game can drag a lot if you don't know how many are there. It doesn't help that because of this, we don't get much exposition of the story except for the beginning, and the end. Still, from what we got, I liked it. I really like Cyber Elf X, and Copy X was interesting as a main antagonist. I liked his Guardians, too (Fafnir can go to hell). Sadly, we are left with many unanswered questions, which I hope they'll be answered in Z2-Z4, because I am very curious about how X got turned into a Cyber Elf, Copy X, what Ciel did, etc.

I usually prefer X over Zero in terms on gameplay, but playing with Zero in this one felt good, had no complains at all. The annoying ranking system is still there, and it punishes you for every little mistake you made, but since it's just an extra you can ignore it (unless you are trying to get all Elves)

I have to say, I liked the bosses' design a lot. They are very different from your usual boss design. Zero´s new weapons are quite cool, too.

Aaaand that´s it. I'm playing Z2 atm, but I am having a lot of trouble...

Edited by Ristar

Updated with Ristar's Megaman Zero and a few games up my sleeve.

Kirby's Fun Pak (SNES, Nintendo) - 100%

dfJfYHZ.jpg

Fun Pak is the better title. Even though Super Star has its charm too. One of my favourite games EVER, and something I never get tired of playing. A special mention goes to some of my friends, who actually helped me by playing as my P2s during the entire playthrough.

Final Fight (Arcade, Capcom).

t4yrwBj.jpg

Sniff. I...I think there's something in my eyes. I love beat'em ups, and Mike Haggar is one of my favourite Capcom characters. No way in PG-Rated Hell I'd play as any other character. The strongest arms can give the kindest hugs.

Sonic Megamix (Team Megamix, Sega CD) 100% with Tails.

bZaZVFX.jpg

Oh god, what is happening? The latest version of Megamix is a little bit on the glitchy side, but it's not unplayable in the slightest. And with the option to play as either Tails or Knuckles, without counting Shadow, Sonic and Mighty, this little gem from the fan-game world is sure to entertain even the most cynic Sonic fan.

Oh, who am I kidding. There's always something to complain about.

EDIT:Oh, also Jet Set Radio. Beaten the final boss with the Boogie-tastic Piranha.

bU1HJzk.jpg

Edited by Naldush Repulsa

BattleToads Arcade (...Arcade, part of Rare Replay for Xbox One)

Kz4GCws.png

Having already witnessed the bullshit that is the original Battletoads, I had to check this one out first since I had never even seen a cabinet for it in my entire life. Yeah, it's bullshit like the series is supposed to be (but an enjoyable kind somehow). Total quarter muncher of a game, but with the charm you expect from Rare.Different from the console and handheld games...this one is decidedly violent. Like Zitz turning his hand into a drill and using it to tear a downed enemy's head off kind of violent, though still decidedly tongue in cheek with the giant fists and boots too (in fact one of the easiest ways to kill a particular enemy is to boot them off the screen, which leaves a massive bootprint on their behind as they hurtle toward the screen).

Edited by Conando