Awoo.

The Legend of Zelda: Majora's Mask 3D

Nintendoga

> A > A

4Em1pxG.jpg

Woah, getting some major Deja Vu here. Almost like we had this topic before...

Majora's Mask for Nintendo 3DS appears to be out already, for $39.99! What is this game? Why it's the remake of the sequel to Ocarina of Time, originally released in 2000. Majora's Mask brought a very unique mechanic in where you must save the world in 3 Days, or else everything will perish.

But fear not, you have your trusty Ocarina. And with a few buttons, you can travel back in time to the first day, also rewinding the NPCs and enviorments as well. Along the way, Link can utitilze multiple masks to his advantage, even gaining the ability to transform into certain creatures. With his Ocarina and Masks at hand, Link must stop the Skull Kid, restore order, and save Skull Kid. This is where Majora's Mask begins...

sgAoEHa.png

uwVStcM.jpg

joaIE4v.jpg

There are many changes between the original and 3DS remake of Majora's Mask, but some of the more important ones include

The ability to save at owl statues. In the original, you had to play the Song of Time and return to the first day to save. This is not the case for the remake. Owl and Feather statues are sampled throughout the land awaiting your command.

The song of Double Time now allows you to skip to any hour throughout the day, where as you could only skip to morning or night in the original

Deku Link's momentum when skipping has been changed, requiring speed in order to skip quickly. Goron Link's punches are much faster, and Zora Link's swimming speed has been greatly reduced, requiring the use of magic and the shield barrier if you want to use the original speed and controls.

Ice Arrows no longer create platforms anywhere in water. You must use designated spots in order to create Ice platforms

Some of the boss fights have been revamped from the original, adding in new strategies or ways to defeat them.

The Bomber's Notebook is now given to you after you complete the first cycle. Bombers gives you rumors or insight on side quests throughout the game, as to make it more accessible to players.

While playing on the New 3DS does not improve anything worthwhile, it does allow full 360 camera control with the right nub.

There are more minor or graphical changes throughout the game.

An important note for people who have not played Majora's Mask yet,

You do NOT need to complete all the dungeons in a single 3 Day cycle. You WILL keep all your items and masks when you rewind time (only losing bombs and arrows, but you can buy them at stores on any new cycle). The 3 Day cycle IS daunting when you first play, however once you understand the mechanics behind it, it can become your greatest ally.

The thing about Majora's Mask is that there are only 4 dungeons. The real focus of the game is the side quests and NPC's labeled through Termina. I won't spoil much, however Termina is a vibrant and weird land, very different from any other land in Zelda. NPCs will do and say things at different times during the Days, as well as be influenced by some of your actions. Exploration and Discovery is key to experincing some of Majora's Mask's secrets and joys.

Majora's Mask is my favorite Zelda game, and one of my favorite games of all times. The remake does not disappoint. To anyone, who hasn't tried out this gem or was turned off years ago by the original, please give it another try. Majora's Mask is an experince that should not be missed, especially by Zelda fans.

Thoughts on the remake?

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Marcello

• JezMM

• G-Force

• GOAT

Thoughts on the remake?

Majora's is one of my favorite Zelda's also! It is one of the most underrated Zelda game out there, and I'd go as far to say, one of the most underrated games of all time.

I never thought I would say it, but It's immensely better than the original. It's crazy too because the N64 game was phenomenal in my opinion. I have been playing the new one for the past 2 weeks or so (just got to Stone Tower Temple) and everything about the game is better.

This is why this game is better than the original and worth your time.

-The Graphics are beautiful. Seriously, I was laying in bed playing the other night and realized how good they really were.

-The new Save points make the game more "noob friendlly" but in a good way. Even though I liked how they originally did it, this will help new fans of the game and really help the ones who didn't mesh well with the saving system in the N64 version.

-The DS allows for such a nice interface, as well as Link to be able to use more items/masks at the same time. It's such a nice little perk to the game.

-Swimming as a Zora is less clunky.

-Bosses are tweaked and more fun/challenging.

-Song of Time is tweaked in different ways, and its amazing.

-The Moon looks even more fucked up and its awesome.

-The game is MOBILE! You can take MM anywhere you want.

My only complaint about the game is when you click your bow plus Fire or Ice arrows, it doesn't make the sweet Zooooooooooop noise that it did in the N64 version. So yeah, I know it's nit picking but honestly that is the only real difference I didn't like. In other words its nothing, I am just anal about that kind of stuff lol.

My Rating: 9.5/10

Majora's Mask 3D has become the best selling handheld Zelda in US history and best selling game of February:

Nintendo 3DS is Best-Selling Hardware Platform in February

The one-two-three punch of New Nintendo 3DS XL, The Legend of Zelda: Majora’s Mask 3D and Monster Hunter 4 Ultimate helped Nintendo 3DS become the top-selling hardware platform in the United States in February. All three products launched in the United States on Feb. 13, and even with only 17 days of data being reported they were able to accomplish the following:

In its 48th month on the market, the Nintendo 3DS family sold nearly 395,000 units in the U.S. The great majority of these sales were New Nintendo 3DS XL systems, which sold 130 percent more units in its initial frame than Nintendo 3DS XL did when it launched on Aug. 19, 2012.

The Legend of Zelda: Majora’s Mask 3D was the top-selling title for the month with more than 515,000 combined physical and digital units sold. The game is now the fastest-selling Legend of Zelda hand-held title in U.S. history.

• The Legend of Zelda: Majora’s Mask 3D (3DS) (515,000 copies sold digitally and physically)
  • Evolve (Xbox One, PS4, PC)
  • Dying Light (PS4, Xbox One, PC)
  • Call of Duty: Advanced Warfare (Xbox One, PS4, 360, PS3, PC)
  • Grand Theft Auto V (PS4, Xbox One, 360, PS3)
  • NBA 2K15 (PS4, Xbox One, PS3, 360)
  • Dragon Ball: Xenoverse (PS4, Xbox One, PS3, 360)
  • Minecraft (360, PS3, Xbox One, PS4)
  • The Order: 1886 (PS4)
  • Monster Hunter 4 Ultimate (3DS) (290,000 copies sold digitally and physically)
Nintendo is probably feeling pretty great right now. Zelda, one if its top franchises, outsold everything else in February. That includes two major new releases. This is good news for the company, which is going to release a brand-new Zelda for the Wii U later this year. The publisher is positioning it as a system-selling game.

The two big new games that Zelda beat are Evolve and The Order: 1886. Evolve came out on Feb. 10, while The Order only had a week of sales after debuting Feb. 20. While both made the top 10, it feels like both didn’t perform as well as they should have. The Order was hammered with critical reviews, which likely hurt its sales.

In terms of surprises, Dying Light, which debuted in January, continues to sell well. The zombie-survival game is performing a lot like developer Techland’s previous zombie effort, Dead Island.

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1009513

While I'm happy for Majora's Mask I do hope that doesn't take this as people only wanting 3D Zeldas on handhelds. I still prefer top-down.

Either way, good for Nintendo who seem to have had a strong month.

Do you mean you prefer top-down Zeldas on handhelds, or top-down Zeldas in general?

Well... both, I guess, considering my favorite Zelda games are all top-down, but I was talking about handhelds here. I'd still prefer 3D on consoles and top-down on handhelds.

• 3 weeks later...

FINALLY gotten round to finishing Majora’s Mask 3D.  Overall it was pretty good, but I will say the changes were far more numerous than Ocarina of Time, not all of them welcome, and none of them as avoidable as the changes in Wind Waker HD.

The weird thing is mainly how several things I didn’t think needed changing have been changed, and many things similar to those elements that were changed were not.  Like, all the main four bosses have major changes to them (Oldwala is way too easy and predictable now I feel, Goht loses the flow by forcing you to slow down to attack the weak point - Gyorg and Twinmold were surprisingly different but can’t argue with the results, they’re overall pretty darn cool and one of the few parts of the game that will challenge veterans), and yet, the final boss goes completely unchanged.  Still fairly straightforward without Fierce Deity, still a cakewalk with Fierce Deity.  I would’ve killed for an optional final phase where Fierce Deity was used in a clever way and wasn’t overpowered, but ah well.  I at least appreciate that they no longer block you from using Zora Link (nor any of the other transforming masks, not that they’re helpful) on your first playthrough if you get the Fierce Deity mask.

Other stuff like the changes to the Gyorg segment of the final dungeon is kind of bizarre too when virtually nothing else is changed elsewhere dungeon-design-wise.

The Bomber’s Notebook was panderingly intrusive at times.  Like 50% of the time it is interrupting cut-scenes to tell you that you achieved <thing that literally just happened you saw it yourself).  They were taking the piss when it showed up during the Moon itself.

Also gotta say was disappointed with the extra credits theme.  It was a fairly by-the-numbers medley and apparently they couldn’t afford an orchestra to record it this time, lame.  Came as an unwanted surprise since I was really looking forward to that considering how gorgeous Ocarina of Time’s was.

But yeah, overall I don’t mean to sound so negative about it, I mean everything that wasn’t changed is as good as ever, all the changes that were carried over from OoT 3D are as welcome here as they were there.  Despite many changes in aesthetics on a small level I feel they stayed much more true to the original atmosphere here than they did during certain scenes in OoT 3D and WW HD.  And, despite my grumblings, I’d still probably recommend this version to a newcomer to the game rather than the original, especially if they played OoT 3D first (which I honestly believe is the best “first Zelda” to play if you want to start with the 3D games rather than top-down view games).

Now that I’ve finished it I won’t be so fussy about “absorbing myself” in the world.  I still feel it was a poor fit for handheld for that reason, but I can confess I’ll prolly be happy to have it around now that I’ll be starting on further side quests.  It’s going to be nice to be able to go down the checklist of rumours from the Bombers on stuff I haven’t done yet rather than just blindly explore the world doing the sidequests and finding the secrets that I know and remember before either slowly losing interest in the game or looking up guides etc.

I just wish wish wish they had added some kind of difficult mode for after beating the game.  Just… anything.

I started Majora's Mask 3D, but its not something I'm going to focus heavily on playing through. I've played it several times. 3D is pretty decent, though, I did the first three-day cycle.

Oh, good, this thread has finally been revived. While I don't have this game just yet--being a broke college student is meh like that--I did find this fanmade video that makes for an... interesting summation on what to expect with this game.

... Yeah. Anyway, I do have one question for those of you who have the game. I'm already aware that they've added one new sidequest pertaining to the Gorman brothers. Are there any other new sidequests available here?

I've been playing MM3D for a little while now, and so far I think it's a damn shame I didn't play the original - but I'm glad that I eventually picked up and got to experience Majora's Mask. It's a very atmospheric and cerebral experience thus far.

• 1 month later...

Late to the party as usual, but I finally began this game recently, and finished it about an hour ago.

...It's kind of a shame that probably nobody has played this game blind for a long time.  I know I had been spoiled on it for years as I had assumed I would never play it.  But it's a truly remarkable game for how weird and whimsical it is.  There's barely anything conventional about it that hasn't been broken up into pieces.  I know we've been hearing a lot more about the development of this game recently, but I feel like it's only the tip of the iceberg, as there are so many narrative and world-building decisions where I honestly wonder what was going through their heads.  I hope we one day get a Zelda game as bizarre as this one again - as unexpected.  Because this game is stunningly strange.  And as sad, too.  There's really been nothing quite this morose since, and previously, only Link's Awakening is remotely comparable.  That oppressive sense of meaninglessness to your actions is so memorable.

Just a couple of small lingering points, I suppose: The wallet limits you're under for most of the game do a pretty fantastic job of illustrating just how little you actually need money in this game; I'm so used to my Zelda wallets being tacked to 999 or even higher, and yet here I spent most of the game with a limit of 200 rupees and couldn't even imagine why I would need any more by the time that ceiling was lifted.  Also, why did they choose to make the final mini-dungeons in the game constructed around some of the game's worst and least controllable gameplay mechanics; Goron rolling and Zora swimming are the utter worst, I swear.