Awoo.

General Furry Fandom Thread

Red

Half the time, throwing in the word "fur" doesn't seem all that forced because the word in question either already contain the syllable "fur" or something close enough to it. It's also something that seems to have died down in general lexicon over the years anyway (particularly the word "fursecution" which has been seen as melodramatic and silly even as a concept). I can't really remember chatting with any Furries in any situation and they start using portmanteaus or replacement words without it being tongue-in-cheek, as in "I'm giving you the "you like Krabby Patties" face" levels of tongue-in-cheek. Like, I never hear someone replace the word "hand" with "paw" seriously unless they're talking about the actual fursuit part "handpaw."

But FWA is sooooo far. ; 3 ;

Only if you drive, like me and my friends always do. 8D......................... 

I just realized; since we're really not far along with our suits, we could totally just.. post updates after build sessions- if peeps wanted, anyway. Maybe answer some q's and stuffs. Could be interedastering.

I just realized; since we're really not far along with our suits, we could totally just.. post updates after build sessions- if peeps wanted, anyway. Maybe answer some q's and stuffs. Could be interedastering.

That'd be fun to do! 8O Bring The Furry Fuzz to the wider internet at large.

In that case, I'll probably post pictures of my padding......... But later once I do at least a leg, because the dropped crotch area makes it look like a diaper and I don't want y'all gettin' any ideas.

People still hate on furries? I thought that's what was cool in 2007 and nowadays their haters either got used to them and moved on to hating bronies or became furries themselves.

I really don't know much about furries, but I will say that they produce some of the most amazing art I've ever seen, SFW or otherwise. Some of their suits look really expensive too, one guy I met who admitted to being a furry told me his suit cost around $3000... How invested do you have to be to spend that much? I have always wanted to check out a convention though, seems like people in suits just hanging out to have some fun in costume, nobody has to see your face either So you're probably much more liberated. Honestly though, nobody HAS to know you're a furry and if they know it's none of their damn business.

Lhancat's fursuit cost me $2500. It's more of an aesthetic kinda thing really. If you go to meets and cons, you're going to see fursuits a lot which could lead to envy. That's not to say everyone feels this, but some do. My fox partial was my first ever suit I got. I just had spare money one day, and it still wasn't sold so I was like "eh why not". That's basically how I got into fursuiting. lol

It's been a dream of mine to bring Lhancat to life and it's still kinda surreal that it's actually happening. I'm still learning how to act in suit, I really want to be able to do more than just standing and waving. I really have no idea what to do out of fear of embarrassing myself. ^^;

that's one of the perks of fursuiting: you have a nice screen of anonymity to act behind. It's one of the things I'm really glad about. Back in late elementary- and middleschool. I was bullied quite a bit (and this was way before I ever joined the furry Fandom). It took its toll in the form of me not developing the correct social skills in general, especially when interacting with new people. To this day I still have trouble looking strangers and acquaintances in the eye, but I was even worse before getting into fursuiting and just interacting with people in fursuit. In costume, I could actually approach people instead of waiting for them to come to me. I could hold conversations and act out as much as I dared without stuttering or tripping over myself or having to fight waves of anxiety. And outside of suit, when speaking with, say, bank tellers or cashiers or professors, i could draw on that confidence more and more. Actually, it didn't take that long to get to that point at all, just needed a catalyst!

So, I say your act shouldn't be something to be nervous about. Our Fandom at cons is the perfect place for trial-by-fire character building 8P. We're pretty forgiving and go with anything. Try out your character and get your confidence at cons: other furries are the best bounceboards in the world 8D

I'm not going to have mine until the end of 2016, but it is stil sort of surreal that I'm going to have one at all.

Kid if you want your suit sooner, I can point you to a fair few makers that'll have your suit by late this year or early next year if you want! Late 2016 seems kinda far.

I have a specific maker in mind. But after June quotes (which I can't afford because of Comic Con), they probably won't open until November. Then there is the 9 months of waiting...

Oh.

My gosh you guys.

CoyoT_BG.png

SO THIS JUST HAPPENED.

Lhancat randomly linked this to me tonight. Apparently it was drawn by a friend of his on Sonic United, who I have requested he thank on my behalf. It really brought home how awesome this design is. Just...wow. 

• Thumbs Up 3

So I'm making another personal fursuit for myself. This time, it's Grump Squirrel:

nepenthe-37280.submit.49159.png

He's my test for a drop crotch and leg padding which is more labor intensive than I could've imagined. But the fun of it is that the padding really forces you to penguin walk. xD Here's what I have so far:

20150326_212910_zpsnhqe9s0t.jpg

Three more pieces to cut, sew, trim, test, and attach. Yaaaaaaaaaay....

• Thumbs Up 3

I actually forgot to post this in here because I've been so busy and distracted by other things. I got a commission done by one of my favorite artists and it's seriously the best thing:

ODZRRHr.png

It's done by vu06 on FurAffinity if you're curious.

• Thumbs Up 2

That's some nice art, T-min and Chooch. I really need to work on my digital painting!

Annnd update. Been working with Nepenthe on our digitigrade legs. I was trying out a different method of padding that I haven't seen folks do. I think it turned out pretty amazeballs, personally. Piccus:

qmCA6gF.png

0ZGOhm4.png

dgpvH3R.png

9v4FIFR.png

Might do some minor edits, but I like the silhouettes of the legs already :D

• Thumbs Up 1

I, for some reason, lost the painting bug, but wanted to do something in Photoshop for reasons, so I made these buggers.

tumblr_nm05gzTWjb1rpha45o1_1280.png

If you're going to see a domestic dog fursuit in the fandom, more often than not it will be a shepherd, a corgi, a collie, or a dalmatian. Not that these are bad breeds (I practically made the latter), but rather that other breeds get left sorely behind. And all dogs are awesome dammit. So, in the desire to have some designs for more unique pre-mades in the future, I combined the powers of a breed generator and a color scheme generator and got Captain Planet these three pups.

Not gonna lie, I kinda want the lapphund for myself. xD

Oh hey, I'm actually kinda surprised this topic was made, but yea, if it wasn't already obvious from my avatar my own character is a snow leopard. Been in the fandom for a couple years, but 2013-2014 was when I started actually getting active in it (like cons and stuff). Got to know a good few people too thanks to FA and twitter. Also, it's how I found out that Chooch can do F-Champ impressions down to a T. Speaking of FWA, can I assume I might catch you there this year Nepenthe? It'll be my 2nd con and I'll be hanging around with the boyfriend and fgc furries.

Also character looks like this, basically.

post-1912-0-24913400-1427683665_thumb.pn 

Edit: Holy crap. I'm glad the upload shrunk the image to a thumbnail, didn't think the pic was THAT big

post-1912-0-24913400-1427683665_thumb.pn

• Thumbs Up 1

Speaking of FWA, can I assume I might catch you there this year Nepenthe? It'll be my 2nd con and I'll be hanging around with the boyfriend and fgc furries.

Awesome! I don't have a fursuit myself, but it'd be neat to get one someday. And yea, it'll be neat to meet another fur from here irl too! :3

Nepenthe: Don't forget Huskies! They're also used a ton. :P

Lovely fursuit ideas you've got there! I particularly like the Cesky Terrier, he looks super fluffy!

That also brings me to a question regarding fursuits. Is it better to tuck the head into your shirt/bodysuit or leave it hanging out? I can't decide which is better/more ideal.

• Thumbs Up 1

I find that having your neck restricted by a shirt or bandanna cuts off a source of ventilation that's sorely underrated. Tried it in my first suit which was a partial with moving jaw, and putting on a bandanna still made it immediately miserable. In general, the illusion isn't broken with a neck flap that sticks out. That, and it's likely you won't have a neck that will stay under a shirt anyway.

I've never worn a head with a fan, so I couldn't tell ya from experience. Some people say it makes a difference, like on resin-based heads where you're encasing your face in plastic, and others say it doesn't do much of anything except make a buzzing noise. Its main purpose is to blow the heat out of the head, not to blow cool air in, so I'd assume its overall effectiveness on the experience is based mainly on the build of the head, whether or not you're fullsuiting versus partialing, the weather or indoor temperature, and your personal tolerance to fursuiting (which will build up over time the more you do it anyway) versus any specific abilities of a really tiny fan.

Annnd another update. Am working on my tail. I'm going for "Obnoxiously long." Here's a wip of all the foamwork so far. I'm going to skin and stuff the tail, and have to do Hojpoj's mane, then she's ready for patterning and fur ='D.

XOMmpF3.png

Gawd, she looks like a possum still. Nooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo.

• Thumbs Up 1

I don't know what possums you've seen with pig snouts and long ears with pointed tips, but I would suggest you call animal control ASAP and let them handle what is clearly an infestation of mutated marsupials.

• Thumbs Up 1

I'm sorry, but I had to post this new art piece I bought recently. I'm still amazed at the quality. It's by Tasanko on FA, if you're curious.

CBoedVpVIAEueEF.jpg

• Thumbs Up 2

A little late-night fun. I decided to refurbish my current head so I can look a little bit better for FWA this weekend. Part of that process is replacing the old, shitty, crooked eyes with new ones with harder plastic. When I ripped them off, this happened.....

Al_refurb_zpsomgrv3g0.png

It's like I've freed the children's souls from the animatronics! Cuz Lord knows I can't beat Night 5.

(Looking at it, I actually need to dunk my head in some soapy water. Ugh; that neck is looking scuzzy. D8)

==

EDIT: Sooooo, I'm putting Aldagar on a slight backburner to help out a friend in refurbishing her own head. Since I was an idiot and didn't take pictures beforehand, here's what the original final product looked like:

mousey_original_zpsqhdoszs5.png

Best chihuahua.

Anyway, she ripped off the fur already and did some more foaming to it. I took it from there and redid the smile, added and cut some bits here and there for symmetry, and added fleece to the mouth and eyeholes. The bits on the head are going to be stylized hair, with the rectangular bits acting as a support base for some bangs, similar to how floppy ears are done:

Mousey_02_zpswowe42aa.png

Mousey_01_zpsb6mr66kq.png

She also expressed interest in having follow-me eyes, and despite me being wary this being my first time doing them, I think I nailed my test eyes to a degree. Vidya of them in action:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JnjbqocDsQg&

My plan is to get the fur sewn by tonight, and then glue it on and shave it tomorrow. It's gonna be a long night, SSMB.

• Thumbs Up 1